User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type are you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fe

    8 44.44%
  • Fi

    9 50.00%
  • Don't know yet

    1 5.56%
123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 76

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,347

    Default Fe vs. Fi discussion

    I'm constantly trying to decipher my actual true type, and the argument of Fe vs. Fi always comes up.

    I know in the past about 90% of the user base considered me an Fe dominant of sorts, some still do. I find it almost humoring that the new user base seems to predominantly find me Fi-dominant. I had a friend here before during an argument though say my argument was "so Fi he could sneeze" so some users still saw it. XD

    I think many see me as using both, and I can agree with that, but I think Fi and Fe is just more complex than people make it out. *deep breath* here I go on a typology explanation train. this is my five seconds to attempt to explain what I feel I have discovered about MBTI feeling functions.

    For one, I remember on a surface level when I first began this typology journey, I felt F was more about feelings. I typed as ESFJ because if it is about being an emotional bomb I was definitely an Fe type. Not only that ESFJ sounded popular and loved so I jumped on it. That's hilarious considering how vehemently I fought to NOT be typed as ESFJ here. I didn't feel it fit anymore.

    As I began studying, I realized F types are about ethics. Moral codes. Inner and outer harmony. I think an easy distinction between the two could be introverting and extraverting. Fe finds peace by harmonizing themselves with the whole, Fi finds peace by harmonizing others with themselves. I am aware most of you will find that backwards. I've been told time and time again here that Fe is the one that imposes values upon people and I will be the one to tell you after months and months, literal months, of studying these two functions alone to try and find their core difference, I strongly disagree. Not only that, I do think BOTH are capable of attempting to impose beliefs, but they do it in drastically different fashions. I'll try to make some examples to show that as well.

    WHAT IS THE FEELING FUNCTION?
    It is the ethical function, not emotional function. There is an inherent flaw in viewing feelers as automatically more emotional, in the fact emotions and emotional responses are not type related. However, why the person is choosing to respond could be type related in the strongest sense of the word. But the emotion itself has absolutely nothing to do with typology whatsoever.
    Having a high F function means your personal moral code, objective and subjective moral codes, are seen as more or most important in your processing. You will choose to act based on your ethical values, and may choose to harmonize or not with a group based upon said functions. Both F types are capable.

    INTRO TO THE AXIS
    I do not often see axis discussions come up so for newbies I'd like to give a crash course before jumping into a discussion that is going to discuss an axis. The axis is how your functions work together. In this case, I am focusing on how the dominant and inferior functions coinhabit your mind. Inferior functions should rather be called the subconscious function. It works like a lens to your life. For instance, INFP will look at their values and beliefs systematically through Te. ESFP will see Se through the lens of Ni, working together to form an idea. Se sees "oh look, a button." then Ni goes on a journey of how you can take this button, put it on a shirt, and make a cool new design. Combining the present with possibilities. It is important to understand the inferior function is a filter and how that exhibits in types.

    WHAT IS FE?
    Extraverted feeling. It is shown in dominance in ESFJ and ENFJ. INFJ and ISFJ share an aux with it. Think of extraverted functions as the ones focused upon the collective. Where introverted functions go inside, extraverted functions look outside. I think the biggest mistake in many Fe descriptions, is using unhealthy Fe examples.
    Fe occasionally is seen as a pushover type. They seek harmony with the whole so much they just align themselves to the most popular belief. FALSE.
    Immature Fe may gain a poorly developed moral system if their family structure is bad, other times Fe can find a good structure if their environment is good. Most of their beliefs are decided from a young age, by the group which means the most to them. This is likely why many say SFJs and such are the most likely to be dedicated to church or religion, although it is not anymore or less common than another type. They are comfortable with what they grow with. Fe on occasion may also find friends or such to align with when their family is poor, or may even develop their own point of view. However, what makes Fe what it is, is how they CHOOSE to interact with the disagreement of views.
    ESFJs have the filter of Ti. The Fe looks and objectively sees the whole. They examine the whole. Then Ti comes in to filter. It pushes for a logical way to work with the whole. This filter however also comes into play with interactions. If Fe-Ti sees a productive whole, they are less likely to object to the whole, even if they morally disagree. This is because Ti subconciously is defining this as a productive set of people, therefore there is no need to break the harmony. However, if something is causing disharmony to the harmony, they will speak up about the issue. Otherwise, Fe-Ti is the "bring cookies even if your an in the closet satanist at work" Fe. As long as you don't attack the whole for not being satanists. Then Fe will start calling you out of line.
    ENFJ works a little different than ESFJ, since of course the functions do not work the same, but they both have the same rallying point: the whole.
    Fe has a tendency towards something of a "rally cry". They do not bluntly rebuke you. Rather they work underneath, which is why many may find Fe "two-faced" or "deceptive." However, they already had the feeling, they are just great networkers. They slowly pull people toward their cause through charisma, empathy, and emotional response. "Oh Charlie there. What do you think of him? Oh well I saw him do this yesterday and..." and the next thing you know the entire group is trying to figure out if they should be at odds with Charlie. Say he is in the office a lot, then she'll get them going on how he is neglecting his home life. They may use personal things you spoken to them in the past to persuade you. Fe is a sales pitcher. They are persuading you to be sold on what they're saying. They work the hierarchy. They meet the right people with work with them in order to advance. While they do not lead the objective whole, they find ways to influence it, so the harmony that is there is a harmony that is centered around their code. They try to do it in a way confrontation is not necessary, but their people skills can lure people in easily.
    Fe may also come off more open than Fi. To create the relationships and foundations that Fe wants to build, it requires a sharing of aspects of the self. So many find those who are "open books" to be Fe, although, I believe either type can do it, but they do it for entirely different reasons.

    WHAT IS FI?
    Introverted feeling. It is shown in dominance in INFP and ISFP. ENFP and ESFP share an aux with it. Where the extraverted function sees a whole, introverted functions see the interior. The mistake of Fi descriptions is they harp too much on social introversion itself. In my studies I've come to feel while they are correlated, it is important to realize introverted and extraverted function dominance does not inherently make a socially introverted or extraverted function. Ultimately, the best way to actually discover a type, is to see first hand how their decision making process goes or how they respond to serious events that require such a process. Hence I like questionaires that require the person to think about how they're going to do something rather than ones going how do you feel about so and so.
    The idea that Fi is more reserved and never shares its ethics or point of view needs to be tossed out the nearest window. A matter of fact, Fi if trounced upon is MORE LIKELY to express itself than an Fe type. This may be surprising, but let's understand what makes an Fi type.
    Fi may form their views somewhat from close knit groups, but also actually a bit like a "gut" feeling. Something inside them, INSIDE, going this is right or this is wrong. There may not even be a logical correlation to why this gut exist, but it does. This is their inner code, and with the introversion, their code is most valuable to them. Hence some find Fi self absorbed, or small minded, because it can be hard to relate to their cause or convince them to your way. This is actually where the core of an Fe vs. Fi conflict begins. I will discuss that further shortly.
    Their inner peace is most important to them. Unlike Fe, however, who sees group dynamics as the way to do, Fi is not afraid to ruffle feathers because they may find it necessary. Unlike Ti, which wants to understand the system and how it functions, Fi subconciously turns to Te, which Te is known for facts and results, not cause and effect. Fi sees a problem, they sort through about 20 fixes, and if no one likes the change there may be a conflict. If Fi feels what your doing harms their inner peace, they are going to tell you that this is not okay. They believe in change, not hierarchies. They will fight for that change with or without you. However, due this affect, they may not always be the most enjoyed person of a group. While things may be productive and harmonious Mr. Fi over here is still trying to change what is going in our company fridge to save the pidgeons, if you get what I mean. With the in the closet satanist situation, Fi may act differently. At first their main goal is their harmony and they do not necessarily "seek" conflict, so they will merely choose not to talk to the person. However, if the person begins bringing in figurines, bibles to satanism on display, and talking to a coworker about it, the rising ill will of not facing the problem will begin to quite literally eat them alive. They may burst.
    Fi also loves to form personal connections, but not in the way Fe might. Fe-Ti together sees the foundations of the whole and aiding it. Fi sees a need to tend to the fire. Everyone has a purpose and passion, they want to hear that in another person. They want connections, but not in the somewhat superficial way an Fe type might use them. Since Fi sees no need for connections to meet a goal or achieve necessarily, their interactions more involve finding people they can be open with, and share a passion for life with. This is where Fi may come off more reserved, in who they choose to form an actual relationship with. If this person causes disharmony, they may choose not to form the relationship. Fi is considered an "open-minded" feeling type, which at times can be true, if that is their code. An Fi users code may be there is no code of conduct. In that case, they may seem the most open minded individuals known to mankind. However, Fi descriptors often forget to tally the Fi users who actually have a very strong code of conduct, who choose very nitpickily who to form relations with in order to achieve maximum inner harmony. the "judgmental" Fi type. It may be shocking, but not every Fi type is actually open minded. It can involve their system, say, they firmly believe that not recycling is a serious problem. They may host classes to teach about it, but someone in their life doesn't recycle. They may begin by trying to demonstrate why it is important (Fi-Te coming together) but if nothing changes, depending on how much this means to them, they may snip the line which connects them at all. So Fi can also be "closed-minded".

    WHY DO FE AND FI STRUGGLE TO GET ALONG?
    They are the same but different. Here we go!
    Fe and Fi actually tend to not get along. Fi will see Fe as shallow and valueless for going along with the mass for the sake of harmony and productivity. Fe will see Fi as self-absorbed, expecting everyone to follow their idea of passion and values. Fe will see Fi as causing conflict for no good reason, Fi will see Fe as spineless. Fi may find Fe shallow, while Fe may find Fi a hard nut to crack and wonder why they do not easily form surface level friendships. I feel a lot of the miscommunication of Fe and Fi is from actual Fe and Fi users arguing about who is the better feeler. Since they both have strong footholds in their own idea of ethical systems, they clash. It is common for common feelers to even clash, because they feel so strongly about their different value systems. This is why sometimes feelers feel very connected to T types, because objective logic can balance out some of their response. Here is some of the other stuff too.

    ENFJ is the more outspoken Fe type, because of Ni. They see how something can affect the future more readily in their mind, so they are more likely to form a disharmony early on than an ESFJ. ESFJ uses Si, which is centered in the past, so they are more connected to tradition and rather keep things similar.

    ISFP and INFP can both be outspoken, but in different ways. ISFP uses Se, which is in the moment. They may confront the situation immediately rather than waiting for a better time. INFPs at times struggle with confrontation moreso than the ISFP, so they try and calculate a good time since their tert Si may reflect on a previous time.

    This discussion did not take in how enneagram too can affect type. I will say I disagree with the idea that some have that enneagram types can only be certain MBTI types. If you want to be an introverted feeler E1 go for it. Or an INTJ 2. Go for it.

    That's all. I'm curious if anyone else has input or opinions. I feel we should discuss feelery stuff.
    Likes awbro, Norrsken, Lord Lavender, There, Zhaylin and 1 others liked this post

  2. #2
    malade Norrsken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    MBTI
    enfj
    Enneagram
    216 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    4,475

    Default

    I'll never know what the heck I am, lmao. Great post, though.
    S’io credesse che mia risposta fosse
    A persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
    Questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
    Ma perciocche giammai di questo fondo
    Non torno vivo alcun, s’i’odo il vero,
    Senza tema d’infamia ti rispondo
    Likes awbro, Chaotic Symphony liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Zhaylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Superb post.
    I’m definitely Fi then. I distance myself from people I clash with. It’s not a judgment thing (they’re evil/I’m good hogwash), it’s a comfort thing. I won’t push my views on others or even speak of them unless someone is abusing their position or such. Or if they ask my views.
    I’m very much an open book though. That’s a self-protection thing however, and may not be MBTI related (accept me now/ don’t leave me later when you discover something unsavory- you knew the unsavory from the get go).

    I am way too patient. I know how to bide my time. With my hubby, I wouldn’t talk about certain things on certain days, for instance, because I knew he wouldn’t be receptive due to work stress. I even read the moods of strangers to see if talking about certain subjects would be wise. But that’s an Fe thing, isn’t it? So, I guess I bounce between the two.

    Fi is where I prefer to live. Reading everyone and adapting myself is too exhausting.

    I do prefer “thinking” types. I struggle with T so they balance me out.
    I have the hardest time with demonstrative and high energy emotional displays.

  4. #4

    Default

    I used to think I was Fe, but now I am sure I am not. A difference between Fe-users and I (Fi) is that I observe Fe-users much more attuned to what I call the 'emotional currency' of a situation. I have a Fe-friend I regularly come to for a 'Hey, these people got offended. What the heck happened?' rundown. A short summarization I found works for Fe and Fi in general that so far, has applied is that Fe are constantly conscious on how their words / a situation / etc emotionally affects others (note: be it positively or negatively), while Fi is much more conscious on how a situation would affect themselves. If you want to bring enneagram in, I've found that sp exacerbates that self-centricness of Fi, while soc/sx exacerbates that other-focusedness of Fe.



    I do have questions / statements.

    1) Your early paragraphs state that both Fe and Fi are harmony-seeking. What exactly does that mean? Is it an emotion? Is it the alignment of the individuals' values with the external world? Both?

    2) It also implies that Fe and Fi both are very people-oriented and are primarily relationship-focused, if I am understanding this correctly, because they find their harmony through other people even if both in their own ways. That sounds counterintuitive, I am not sure how personal harmony is achieved from placing your goals and values in a way that its fulfillment is dependent on other people- and surely, there are Fs that are not quite as people-oriented in their search for 'harmony'. Can other Fs speak for this? Maybe there is something I am not understanding.

    3) "ESFP will see Se through the lens of Ni, working together to form an idea. Se sees "oh look, a button." then Ni goes on a journey of how you can take this button, put it on a shirt, and make a cool new design. Combining the present with possibilities. It is important to understand the inferior function is a filter and how that exhibits in types." A decent example, albeit too loose because it also overlaps with Ne. Why exactly is this specifically Ni? It seems to be common knowledge that there is no consensus on the proper definition and scope of functions themselves, so these kinds of examples may have to be taken with a grain of salt, unless there is a specific theory of functions that you strictly subscribe to where this example falls neatly under Se-Ni without overlap (I doubt it, since behaviours overlap a lot with various types in various typology systems). In other words, axes do work in tandem, but be careful in individually using them to describe or explain certain behaviours.

    4) "I think the biggest mistake in many Fe descriptions, is using unhealthy Fe examples [...]" a good observation, and I'd like to add that other examples of unhelathy Fe: controlling, cult-leader type behaviour, bullying and ostracizing, hiding behind a wall of collective norms to shun, judge, and oust people.

    5) "ISFP and INFP can both be outspoken, but in different ways. ISFP uses Se, which is in the moment. They may confront the situation immediately rather than waiting for a better time. INFPs at times struggle with confrontation moreso than the ISFP, so they try and calculate a good time since their tert Si may reflect on a previous time." This is confusing. For the previous examples, you cite how the dom function works in tandem with the aux, and for INFP you make a comparison with its tert, which would generally not be the INFP user's default. Fi + Ne may also pushed for change because they can readily and quickly see all the ways things are not aligning with their value system (Ne), even if they do not know how to effectively, and quickly communicate and implement it (inferior Te), just feeling that 'something is wrong'. I would like to add that the -SFP may not even 'confront', but what they would indeed do is make a quick, more immediate decision based off immediately available information (Se)- be it conflict, leave, harmonize, mediate, et cetera.
    Non mi snudare senza ragione.
    Non mi impugnare senza valore.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Zhaylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    >.. Fe are constantly conscious on how their words / a situation / etc emotionally affects others (note: be it positively or negatively), while Fi is much more conscious on how a situation would affect themselves.” (1)

    “... and surely, there are Fs that are not quite as people-oriented in their search for 'harmony'. Can other Fs speak for this?” (2)
    Sorry for replying like this. I’m still not very comfortable with the iPad lol.
    1) Now you’ve gone and confused me
    I am constantly, and painfully, aware of my words, tone and body language. I read other people’s as well: that higher change in pitch can indicate they’re nervous, flirting, excited, playful; the lower pitch tends to indicate confidence, bravado, arrogance, authority. Are they stumbling over their words?- they could be tired, distracted, ill. All of that is processed by me on a mostly subconscious level. I’ll notice myself paying special attention to (or withdrawing from) something and when I ask myself why I can usually pinpoint the reason. I feel *something* first, through observation, then I analyze it and act on it (or ignore it). I know how to approach people or handle different situations because of that. I hold myself back then present myself in the most suitable fashion in word and body language.

    2) I am ALL about harmony. My biggest enemy is chaos. Strong emotions = chaos. Bickering and worse = chaos.
    Chaos makes me very uncomfortable because I have little hope of control. Too many variables. Too much information. I become very overwhelmed.
    So, I prefer to keep people at a distance.
    I liken myself to a hermit or shaman on a mountain top, living off the land. I have affection for the people in the valley. I often think of them, in passing, and hope they’re well. And, if they ever have a problem, I would hope they’d seek me out. I’m happy to be the mediator, counselor, spiritual advisor... then have them return to their valley.
    My harmony comes from limited interaction with people. It’s too much chaos otherwise and chaos is my krytonite and makes me ill.
    Likes awbro liked this post

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
    Sorry for replying like this. I’m still not very comfortable with the iPad lol.
    1) Now you’ve gone and confused me
    Your post / formatting is perfectly fine.
    Bolded- I hope not. Theories are not substitutes for real people, and your objections and contributions work towards the refinement of everyone's understanding.

    I am constantly, and painfully, aware of my words, tone and body language. I read other people’s as well: that higher change in pitch can indicate they’re nervous, flirting, excited, playful; the lower pitch tends to indicate confidence, bravado, arrogance, authority. Are they stumbling over their words?- they could be tired, distracted, ill. All of that is processed by me on a mostly subconscious level. I’ll notice myself paying special attention to (or withdrawing from) something and when I ask myself why I can usually pinpoint the reason. I feel *something* first, through observation, then I analyze it and act on it (or ignore it). I know how to approach people or handle different situations because of that. I hold myself back then present myself in the most suitable fashion in word and body language.
    Can other Fi-doms / Fi-users pitch in about this? I see Fs in general mention this, but without much distinction in how this works in both Fe/Fi, and if anything, I see this frequently attributed to Fe over Fi, and expanded discussion of this would fit into the thread's topic. To clarify the statement I made however, is that "Fe are constantly conscious on how their words / a situation / etc emotionally affects others (note: be it positively or negatively), while Fi is much more conscious on how a situation would affect themselves." is that both types will learn and implement skills and behaviours to default to each their preferred mode of function (and this is true for any type), with the Fi perhaps reading body language to gauge what the person may be thinking / trying to achieve, and if it is an alignment with what they feel, or want to feel, or value (so, the why, not the behaviour itself)- thus ultimately, a focus on the self- though this is rather broad. If you find yourself in certain habits or behaviours, ask yourself why and how you developed yourself in that way, and for what purpose?

    2) I am ALL about harmony. My biggest enemy is chaos. Strong emotions = chaos. Bickering and worse = chaos.
    Chaos makes me very uncomfortable because I have little hope of control. Too many variables. Too much information. I become very overwhelmed.
    So, I prefer to keep people at a distance.
    I liken myself to a hermit or shaman on a mountain top, living off the land. I have affection for the people in the valley. I often think of them, in passing, and hope they’re well. And, if they ever have a problem, I would hope they’d seek me out. I’m happy to be the mediator, counselor, spiritual advisor... then have them return to their valley.
    My harmony comes from limited interaction with people. It’s too much chaos otherwise and chaos is my krytonite and makes me ill.
    To be clear, my confusion lies in where the Fs derive harmony from. Your sentence here seems like a perfect example of exactly what I was pointing out: "and surely, there are Fs that are not quite as people-oriented in their search for 'harmony'. " wherein you state that your harmony comes from isolation and distance, and people are more often than not a source of chaos, unless they can approach you in a way that works in tandem with your preferences (values). Personally, I agree that such a state of existence is most 'harmonious'. I would be happy to hear more examples from others as well on how harmony manifests in their lives, as well as if they are Fi or Fe, and why. This will help us further illustrate differences, if any, between Fe and Fi on how they process, define, and achieve 'harmony'.
    Non mi snudare senza ragione.
    Non mi impugnare senza valore.
    Likes awbro, Zhaylin liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    I used to think I was Fe, but now I am sure I am not. A difference between Fe-users and I (Fi) is that I observe Fe-users much more attuned to what I call the 'emotional currency' of a situation. I have a Fe-friend I regularly come to for a 'Hey, these people got offended. What the heck happened?' rundown. A short summarization I found works for Fe and Fi in general that so far, has applied is that Fe are constantly conscious on how their words / a situation / etc emotionally affects others (note: be it positively or negatively), while Fi is much more conscious on how a situation would affect themselves. If you want to bring enneagram in, I've found that sp exacerbates that self-centricness of Fi, while soc/sx exacerbates that other-focusedness of Fe.



    I do have questions / statements.

    1) Your early paragraphs state that both Fe and Fi are harmony-seeking. What exactly does that mean? Is it an emotion? Is it the alignment of the individuals' values with the external world? Both?

    2) It also implies that Fe and Fi both are very people-oriented and are primarily relationship-focused, if I am understanding this correctly, because they find their harmony through other people even if both in their own ways. That sounds counterintuitive, I am not sure how personal harmony is achieved from placing your goals and values in a way that its fulfillment is dependent on other people- and surely, there are Fs that are not quite as people-oriented in their search for 'harmony'. Can other Fs speak for this? Maybe there is something I am not understanding.

    3) "ESFP will see Se through the lens of Ni, working together to form an idea. Se sees "oh look, a button." then Ni goes on a journey of how you can take this button, put it on a shirt, and make a cool new design. Combining the present with possibilities. It is important to understand the inferior function is a filter and how that exhibits in types." A decent example, albeit too loose because it also overlaps with Ne. Why exactly is this specifically Ni? It seems to be common knowledge that there is no consensus on the proper definition and scope of functions themselves, so these kinds of examples may have to be taken with a grain of salt, unless there is a specific theory of functions that you strictly subscribe to where this example falls neatly under Se-Ni without overlap (I doubt it, since behaviours overlap a lot with various types in various typology systems)

    4) "I think the biggest mistake in many Fe descriptions, is using unhealthy Fe examples [...]" a good observation, and I'd like to add that other examples of unhelathy Fe: controlling, cult-leader type behaviour, bullying and ostracizing, hiding behind a wall of collective norms to shun, judge, and oust people.

    5) "ISFP and INFP can both be outspoken, but in different ways. ISFP uses Se, which is in the moment. They may confront the situation immediately rather than waiting for a better time. INFPs at times struggle with confrontation moreso than the ISFP, so they try and calculate a good time since their tert Si may reflect on a previous time." This is confusing. For the previous examples, you cite how the dom function works in tandem with the aux, and for INFP you make a comparison with its tert, which would generally not be the INFP user's default. Fi + Ne may also pushed for change because they can readily and quickly see all the ways things are not aligning with their value system (Ne), even if they do not know how to effectively, and quickly communicate and implement it (inferior Te), just feeling that 'something is wrong'. I would like to add that the -SFP may not even 'confront', but what they would indeed do is make a quick, more immediate decision based off immediately available information (Se)- be it conflict, leave, harmonize, mediate, et cetera.
    1. Harmony is a sort of inner feeling in a way, a sense of peace in the atmosphere. Feelers are more interested in peace and atmospheres of such. It does also involve alignment, depending on the value system. Fe is more alignment oriented than Fi types. Fi doesn't care as much about a harmonious aligning whole. They just pick and choose what they surround themselves with more, so they do not face interior moral conflict. One is focused on inner peace, the other on the peace of the whole.

    2. Of course. Descriptions of F types do sound people oriented mainly because the particular way to see their difference INVOLVE PEOPLE. Fi and Fe types alike may choose to be avoidant of people and seek values through themselves. It isn't entirely dependent on people, it is more about how they interact with like and different others. Does that make sense? The main idea of ethics functions is their values, whatever they are, are the center of the interaction and therefore affect how they then interact with those who think similarly or opposingly to their system.

    3. The example is heavily correlated with where the functions lie within the axis. Ni adds possibilities, ideas, and future to the literalness of the Se living in the present. Where Se lives in the moment and sees things in a very descriptive context, Ni finds something to do WITH the said thing. Se sees a button, and it is just a button. With Ni, this button becomes something that can be used and become something than just a button. or have a use. I do think some things overlap as stated though. For instance, this sort of revision could be seen as a tert or inferior use of Ne. say an ISTJ looks at a button, and doesn't know what to do with it, Ne may suggest the button will fix that old shirt you like and they'll stitch it on.

    4. I agree with that.

    5. I based my example on my experience with SFP vs. NFPs. I do agree there are NFPs who jump the gun as well, but I have found as you stated, the Se in the SFP is more likely to make a quick decision on reaction where NFP may take more time to sit with it and decide what to do. I've found from NFP friends, they confront months later about something they felt months ago feeling "I finally decided I should talk about this issue with you". O.O I tend to be shoot the gun with my emotional responses so I always get flustered with this but yeah. XD
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Symphony View Post
    1. Harmony is a sort of inner feeling in a way, a sense of peace in the atmosphere. Feelers are more interested in peace and atmospheres of such. It does also involve alignment, depending on the value system. Fe is more alignment oriented than Fi types. Fi doesn't care as much about a harmonious aligning whole. They just pick and choose what they surround themselves with more, so they do not face interior moral conflict. One is focused on inner peace, the other on the peace of the whole.
    Thank you for the explanation. I must agree, and this also fits within my observations.

    2. Of course. Descriptions of F types do sound people oriented mainly because the particular way to see their difference INVOLVE PEOPLE. Fi and Fe types alike may choose to be avoidant of people and seek values through themselves. It isn't entirely dependent on people, it is more about how they interact with like and different others. Does that make sense? The main idea of ethics functions is their values, whatever they are, are the center of the interaction and therefore affect how they then interact with those who think similarly or opposingly to their system.
    Ah, that sounds much clearer. So it is an orientation related to people relative to their surroundings which may go positively or negatively, for or against, if I am understanding correctly? For example, a Fi moving away from society because the norms in their surroundings / environment / culture / etc are not in alignment with their ideals/beliefs, as you have stated in response to point #1 above.

    I tend to be shoot the gun with my emotional responses so I always get flustered with this but yeah. XD
    You are an extrovert, yes? At least, as per listed on your profile at this moment of posting. That may account for it.
    Non mi snudare senza ragione.
    Non mi impugnare senza valore.
    Likes Zhaylin, Chaotic Symphony liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. I must agree, and this also fits within my observations.



    Ah, that sounds much clearer. So it is an orientation related to people relative to their surroundings which may go positively or negatively, for or against, if I am understanding correctly? For example, a Fi moving away from society because the norms in their surroundings / environment / culture / etc are not in alignment with their ideals/beliefs, as you have stated in response to point #1 above.



    You are an extrovert, yes? At least, as per listed on your profile at this moment of posting. That may account for it.
    1. Yay

    2. Yes. Exactly what I mean.

    3. I do believe I am something of an extravert. :P I question that I might be an IxFP sometimes but in the end I always end up back at ENFP. So. Thanks for the observation too.

  10. #10
    幽霊||๏ ɪɴᴀᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    ...First of all, I don't believe in the validity of functions in typology. Secondly...I seem to lack an F function. Third, I could choose to do either of those. It's very easy for anyone to be fluid in those things, if they are willing and understand how to reconstruct their minds. (On the other hand, I would have a difficult time making moral code my primary mode of processing in general).

    I don't relate much to either of those, however. Here is how I form "values:" "If I do X it will result in Y; if I do B it will result in F. F is a better outcome, and thus B is better in this." My "values" are otherwise blank slates which are subject to adaptation. I lack any kind of visceral attachment to beliefs, morals, codes, values...and this is how I understand Fs to be: emotionally attached to beliefs, otherwise called values. I can't really comprehend how on earth they form things otherwise, and to me this is so fucking far from something that makes sense that I even oppose it on an emotional level, I feel very strongly about not doing things that way. This is very foreign to me and I am highly opposed to it, it's like processing life via an emotional bias filter. I don't "morally disagree" with anything because morals lack relevancy to the situations at hand in most cases as I see it. Things often wind up making no logical sense whatsoever, and yet the person will adhere to it firmly despite it conflicting with something more reasonable. While feelings may interfere with my judgment or overpower me at times, feelings are like a child (immature, juvenile) which should be kept in the back seat (not the forefront or head of the decision making process) buckled (controlled) securely and safely (lest they wreck the car like a 3 yr old child). Life doesn't care about how you feel about things: that is irrelevant to the outcomes...there is only consequence vs reward which translates into pro vs con. I don't have values, I have character from that which is weighed out and thus perceived as better or more rewarding; regardless of whether that reward is for myself or others. If I can zoom out, disconnect from feelings, and view all of the dynamics taking place, then make the best possible decision from there, then I am better off. I do exclude the feelings of both myself and others from the equation also. If it makes no difference and either outcome is fine, then I will generally fall back onto whatever others prefer to go with...so that would indicate that I am more Fe, but only as a secondary to what makes logical sense to me. Not all that surprising for an INTP. On the other hand, my ENTJ father (so another "Inferior Feeler") has stronger morals than most and attempts to push them onto others...and before anyone thinks I've mistyped him as a T, this is a man who would emotionally and psychologically abuse me for not wrapping the water hose in the most logical method and makes a fuss about the driving manual instructing people to make 3 point turns when reversing rather than going forward can result in a 1 point turn and is more efficient. It's an ENTJ 8 man who is oozing Te.

    ...Also, I made a similar post here:
    Cognitive Function Descriptions / Definitions

    In 2017-2018 I was depressed as fuck and very Fe, and definitely more Fe than Fi, but I am now back to challenging the conventional, traditional "because everyone else does or says so" horse shit. I don't have much patience for playing by the rules when those rules don't make sense, I perceive it as being a sheeple, a robot. I often feel as though I'm watching programs in the matrix made to look like people when I observe society. Despite the impressions I apparently give now (people are thinking I'm Fi/Te), I relate more to Ti than Te. I do however relate to Fi some now, whereas in 2018 I couldn't even grasp what it meant because it was so foreign to me.


    Label all of that as you will, I will not be selecting a response. I have better things than typology to spend my time on anyways. I spent 6-7 years determining that I am an INTP and I spent most of my time typed this way, I'm not searching...but the only thing I really laugh at is when someone mistypes me as S instead of N. There's no fucking way I'm anything but N.

Similar Threads

  1. Why does everyone hate ESFJs? (Warning.... yet another Fe vs. Fi discussion)
    By Julius_Van_Der_Beak in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM
  2. Fe vs. Fi, Disloyalty, Allegiance, Or the Lack Thereof…
    By Esoteric Wench in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
  3. Fe Vs Fi (from one of your previous posts)
    By liYA in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. Showdown: Fe vs Fi...
    By Kalach in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO