• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PoLR/Vulnerable Ne

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can someone explain to me, in simplest layman's terms, how PoLR/Vulnerable Ne presents itself?

I found a great Reddit, if accurate, for PoLR Se; but nothing for Ne.
INFP; what is my PoLR? : mbti

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
PoLR isn't a thing in MBTI or JCF, should try this in the Socionics section.

From the Sociotype page on the Super-Ego (also the same descriptor of PoLR Ne from wikisocion:

A type with Ne PoLR has a difficult time understanding ideas that seem new or novel, especially when it has no tangible effect on their lives. Leaving little to chance, they are able to plan out their lives for years ahead of time. This results in difficulties handling unexpected problems in their lives that put a halt on their usual pursuits, and they tend to fear all the possible "what-if's" when those problems prevent them from seeing a clear future. When unsure about something, these types can either avoid making any changes at all or making too quick and reckless of a decision, either of which resulting in missed opportunities.

Also from the wikisocion link, in general re: PoLR:

The vulnerable function is also called the point or place of least resistance (PoLR), painful or sensitive function, or simply the fourth function. The element in this function creates a feeling of frustration and inadequacy. A person does not understand the importance of this element entirely, and it can easily lead to painful consequences if not adequately considered.

However, to directly engage this function creates feelings of insecurity and distress. One reason why the vulnerable function is so difficult to engage is because three other conscious functions come before it, making this one the most difficult to comprehend. Often an alternative approach may be found from the view of the mobilizing function. Because of the psychological disincentives to using the vulnerable function, people usually try to ignore information related to it, and in extreme cases do so even in situations where it is most relevant. Even with a theoretical understanding of how this element works, it is difficult to turn it into practical norms of behavior. One can "develop" the vulnerable function by recognizing that it is actually important in certain real-life circumstances. Even if the subject recognizes this, he will still usually try to avoid taking responsibility for it himself, or develop a minimalist or non-traditional approach (possibly using other functions) that is enough to satisfy one's own needs. The presence of a dual usually dissolves any concern there might be about how to approach matters of the vulnerable function.

It sounds to me like PoLR function is something that you suck at and feel uncomfortable engaging in, for me as ILI this is Fe and it fits. I don't understand what PoLR Ne would actually mean, I read the words above but it doesn't mean anything to me, probably because I'm not PoLR Ne and can't readily understand it from that perspective.

Sociotype outlines Ne as "potential/possibility, the unique and unusual, ability, essence, perception of the whole, uncertainty, the unknown, search, internal makeup, suddenness, chance, being, permanence, impermanence" - I guess if you suck at seeing potential or possibilities or dealing with "the unknown" or randomness of sorts, and you feel uncomfortable when you do it, then I think that's probably PoLR Ne? I don't know, I suck at Socionics. I find it interesting to theorise on and learn about but I don't actually see it playing out too great in reality, it's a bit too strict for me and that makes it kind of not make sense or not fit "actual people" and only really work "in theory".

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Many, many thanks [MENTION=33869]Turi[/MENTION].
I chose the wrong word then. In MBTI, the PoLR is roughly the equivalence of slot 7.
For an INFP, that would be Se but for an ISFP, it's Ne.

I heard it suggested that if a person has a hard time narrowing down their type, then they should look to their 7th slot (4th slot socionics)

Which has, without a doubt, revealed that I truly am an INFP lol

I have a VERY hard time thinking "in reverse". Even though I "know" introverted p turns into a j in socionics, it breaks my brain. I want to reverse the orders of everything which just confuses me even more lol. So, thank you for digging up that info. I was getting nowhere.

**EDIT**
Even still, I CAN explain PoLR Ne. I've adapted it for survival.
"A type with Ne PoLR ... tend to fear all the possible "what-if's" when those problems prevent them from seeing a clear future. When unsure about something, these types can either avoid making any changes at all or making too quick and reckless of a decision, either of which resulting in missed opportunities."
Unless it just plays into my E9w1.

Instead of doing SOMETHING, I tend to do nothing. There's nothing I CAN do, so why think about it? Why plan for a future I cannot envision because there are too many variables and too many things out of my control. I'd rather let the die fall where they may and adapt to a new reality than stress over all of those possibilities.

For someone with Ne, I suppress it for my sanity.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Many, many thanks [MENTION=33869]Turi[/MENTION].
I chose the wrong word then. In MBTI, the PoLR is roughly the equivalence of slot 7.
For an INFP, that would be Se but for an ISFP, it's Ne.

I heard it suggested that if a person has a hard time narrowing down their type, then they should look to their 7th slot (4th slot socionics)

Which has, without a doubt, revealed that I truly am an INFP lol

I have a VERY hard time thinking "in reverse". Even though I "know" introverted p turns into a j in socionics, it breaks my brain. I want to reverse the orders of everything which just confuses me even more lol. So, thank you for digging up that info. I was getting nowhere.

**EDIT**
Even still, I CAN explain PoLR Ne. I've adapted it for survival.
"A type with Ne PoLR ... tend to fear all the possible "what-if's" when those problems prevent them from seeing a clear future. When unsure about something, these types can either avoid making any changes at all or making too quick and reckless of a decision, either of which resulting in missed opportunities."
Unless it just plays into my E9w1.

Instead of doing SOMETHING, I tend to do nothing. There's nothing I CAN do, so why think about it? Why plan for a future I cannot envision because there are too many variables and too many things out of my control. I'd rather let the die fall where they may and adapt to a new reality than stress over all of those possibilities.

For someone with Ne, I suppress it for my sanity.

Having a healthy Ne is like raising a child ... They need to do things they don't like.