User Tag List

MBTI
    SINE

Default Anyone suffer from Low Latent Inhibition?

I've recently gained interest in reading about latent inhibition. For those who aren't familiar, latent inhibition is a natural survival mechanism in which past input is deemed irrelevant relative to novel imput....This implies that past input will be filtered out or dampened to allow the user to not be overstimulated by a novel environment. Now, those with low latent inhibition have the inability to regard past input as irrelavant meaning that all input is treated as equal to the user depending on how severe the case is. Thus, low latent inhibition promotes very high sensory awareness and sensitivities that can be detrimental and potentially lead to phychosis/schizophrenia. This would only occur if the user is unable to process all the input such that it becomes convuluted and disorganized. Therefore, there is a strong link between intelligence and ability to withstand LLI.

I've noticed with myself that I tend to shutdown (not able to react accordingly) in crowded and confined areas with a lot of noise, which can be connected to LLI. I also can go into a state of flow or hyper focus depending on my interest level, which causes me to become completely oblivious to external input. This would seem to imply high latent inhibition, however, my internal mind is juggling multiple inputs at once to solve a problem. I once spent two weeks straight working on a Math Proof and my Mom said I was unaware of people at the time. This leads me to believe that I either have ADHD, aspergers or some combination. I haven't ever dated at 28 years old, so it seems aspergers is likely, especially considering my relatively narrow interests.

Do any of you suffer from low latent inhibition and do you believe there is q correlation with type? It seems to be more of q neurological issue coupled with high sensitivities.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

if i do it is very segmented... i wasn't excessively satisfied with your explaination, so i spent a little time reading into this... in any case, there is a lot of the world that is "background noise" for me... i've seen most scenarios/items i encounter countless times... for whichever reason (likely interests developed over time), some things/scenarios i consistently examine in detail as if they were entirely new/novel...

so no, i don't really relate to most of what i read about this...
    "Oh my God, you are a child. If we leave you alone here, you’ll freeze to death, you’ll starve to death.' And so on. It was very exciting for her, taking his dignity away in the name of love."

MBTI
    SINE

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    if i do it is very segmented... i wasn't excessively satisfied with your explaination, so i spent a little time reading into this... in any case, there is a lot of the world that is "background noise" for me... i've seen most scenarios/items i encounter countless times... for whichever reason (likely interests developed over time), some things/scenarios i consistently examine in detail as if they were entirely new/novel...

so no, i don't really relate to most of what i read about this...
    I didn't define it based on the literature, so it was definitely lacking in substance. For LLI, the filtering of external input cannot be controlled by the user, it's automated. If it cannot be filtered at all (worst case scenario), then the situation will likely become chaotic because there will exist such a high degree of overlap with all inputs....meaning that it will become increasingly difficult to make sense of the data. For instance, during a conversation, someone with LLI will become very distracted from all the sensory input coming from the background and may potentially shut down as a coping mechanism.

For some reason, social situations overstimulate me. I do not like being introduced to many people at once, which causes me to shut down. This is more likely related to asperger's though, which has some degree of overlap with LLI (sensory issues). I haven't been diagnosed, but I relate to many of the issues pertaining to it.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

*shrugs* for what i said about myself, i meant those are my likely naturally responses... i imagine that they were produced through experience...
    "Oh my God, you are a child. If we leave you alone here, you’ll freeze to death, you’ll starve to death.' And so on. It was very exciting for her, taking his dignity away in the name of love."

MBTI
    SINE

Yeah, I know. I just got a little off track. I meant to add that for your case, it's controllable based on your level of interest. And yes, your experience will dictate the stimulus that adds meaning. I would assume a small percentage has it, and if so, there would be a disadvantage unless the user can withstand the stimulus.

I just like starting threads like these to build correlations or relations based on others input.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    Yeah, I know. I just got a little off track. I meant to add that for your case, it's controllable based on your level of interest. And yes, your experience will dictate the stimulus that adds meaning. I would assume a small percentage has it, and if so, there would be a disadvantage unless the user can withstand the stimulus.

I just like starting threads like these to build correlations or relations based on others input.
    control implies a concious decision... breathing can be controlled, but doesn't generally come about because of a decision... i would say what i meant is relatable to breathing... if i become aware of what is happening for some reason, i am able to refocus...

Astronomer of the Abyss Tenebris's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I didn't know this had a word to describe that feeling. I just thought I was a Highly sensitive person. I also have similar suspicions of being autistic, adhd etc. but I don't think that is the case. So I might have this actually. I shut down pretty easily in new environments. I have rather limited range of interests too. Things like schizophrenia runs in my family as well.
    一期一会

Only from the deepest darkness, can you see the stars.

MBTI
    Fool

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    I've recently gained interest in reading about latent inhibition. For those who aren't familiar, latent inhibition is a natural survival mechanism in which past input is deemed irrelevant relative to novel imput....This implies that past input will be filtered out or dampened to allow the user to not be overstimulated by a novel environment. Now, those with low latent inhibition have the inability to regard past input as irrelavant meaning that all input is treated as equal to the user depending on how severe the case is. Thus, low latent inhibition promotes very high sensory awareness and sensitivities that can be detrimental and potentially lead to phychosis/schizophrenia. This would only occur if the user is unable to process all the input such that it becomes convuluted and disorganized. Therefore, there is a strong link between intelligence and ability to withstand LLI.

I've noticed with myself that I tend to shutdown (not able to react accordingly) in crowded and confined areas with a lot of noise, which can be connected to LLI. I also can go into a state of flow or hyper focus depending on my interest level, which causes me to become completely oblivious to external input. This would seem to imply high latent inhibition, however, my internal mind is juggling multiple inputs at once to solve a problem. I once spent two weeks straight working on a Math Proof and my Mom said I was unaware of people at the time. This leads me to believe that I either have ADHD, aspergers or some combination. I haven't ever dated at 28 years old, so it seems aspergers is likely, especially considering my relatively narrow interests.

Do any of you suffer from low latent inhibition and do you believe there is q correlation with type? It seems to be more of q neurological issue coupled with high sensitivities.
    Fascinating , for sure there is something special about you ... maybe you can do tests for differents conditions.
    Probabily you can explain yourself better than anyone can try to understand you.