• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Answers arriving after sleep

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I've noticed lately since I'm working on my thesis, that answers will pop up immediately when I wake up. It seems the more I focus on some problem, the higher the frequency of this occurance. I also come to realizations about certain events or the reasons behind them, although its not set in stone. So, as the accumulation of input increases, a certain threshold is reached to create a link. The more frequent the internalization of input, the higher the probability of linkage. Does anyone else experience this and why do you believe so?

Sleep seems like a sort of biological defragmentation process. It’s a tidying up of the system for better performance.

The expression to ‘sleep on it’ comes to mind also. Most likely the subconscious continues to mull something over while the conscious mind takes a break.

Polka

Yes, you are onto something. Sounds counterintuitive- last time I read about why creative solutions often derive during relaxed states of minds, I found out why it so happens to be that Google headquarters have play rooms for their employees.

It's the notions of:
Play and relaxation = Less tension + More time for daydreaming & problem solving.

I tend to find most of my answers during long baths and warm showers or lounging somewhere plush and relaxing. Now, imagine a reclining day bed twisted in all sorts of contortions.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me, it's more along the lines of "as soon as I stop thinking about it, I'll remember (or think of the solution)".

So, I guess, several things could come into play.

Lark

I do.

I've read a lot of Jung and Erich Fromm writing about dreams and dream states, Jung was more interesting, both were more interesting than Freud, but both of them thought that sleeping and dream states involved the "voice of the unconscious" (in Jung's case there's collective unconscious and stuff like that, Fromm talked about a social unconscious but it didnt mean the same thing, it was still a personal consciousness).

All that's also concurrent with some of the stuff I've read written by Zen practitioners and other mystics. It makes sense to me.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's super weird seeing a thread about this. I can't remember ever not knowing that your brain just does this on its own, I've always naturally just decided to let my brain do its thing if no answer comes immediately, knowing fully well it'll come eventually, sleep works, so does playing games or guitar or anything else that distracts you.

If you don't have enough information you just kinda know it and will go do a little research and let it mull. You just get a feel for when you know you've got enough information and can just let it sit even though you don't have the answer, your mind just knows it has enough information to make something work. I figured this was just common sense.

This kind of thing is part of my problem with typing as a J in MBTI. I know it's P. I'm literally just perceiving, that's why I pick all the P responses on dichotomy tests, I want more information, I don't like to seek instant "closure" because I need time for my mind to do its thing. I totally disagree with INxJ = Ni. Just makes like no sense at all. Why would I pick J if I'm a perceiver and am literally waiting for my own inner perceptions to come? Somehow tricked myself into thinking J was the right one for me a while back, only works if it's understood as "Ni". Even though N is P. >_>

Shadow Play

I've noticed lately since I'm working on my thesis, that answers will pop up immediately when I wake up. It seems the more I focus on some problem, the higher the frequency of this occurance. I also come to realizations about certain events or the reasons behind them, although its not set in stone. So, as the accumulation of input increases, a certain threshold is reached to create a link. The more frequent the internalization of input, the higher the probability of linkage. Does anyone else experience this and why do you believe so?

:notype:

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Does anyone else experience this and why do you believe so?

It's a common phenomenon, really.

I used to be addicted to riddles. When there was one I couldn't solve in the spot, I would sleep on it instead of checking the solution. Sometimes it would take me days before I'm able to figure out but it was always worth the wait.
The brain processes most of the information in the background. During theta states, which are either during REM dream states or complete meditative states, we reach a realm of the mind where everything is connected. The very source of creativity and inspiration happens during those states.

The greatest things do not happen when we're focusing, but when we let go of that focus. If you can find decent inspiration while looking for it, I find that the most splendid inspirations come to you when you least expect it, when you let go.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
It's super weird seeing a thread about this. I can't remember ever not knowing that your brain just does this on its own, I've always naturally just decided to let my brain do its thing if no answer comes immediately, knowing fully well it'll come eventually, sleep works, so does playing games or guitar or anything else that distracts you.

If you don't have enough information you just kinda know it and will go do a little research and let it mull. You just get a feel for when you know you've got enough information and can just let it sit even though you don't have the answer, your mind just knows it has enough information to make something work. I figured this was just common sense.

This kind of thing is part of my problem with typing as a J in MBTI. I know it's P. I'm literally just perceiving, that's why I pick all the P responses on dichotomy tests, I want more information, I don't like to seek instant "closure" because I need time for my mind to do its thing. I totally disagree with INxJ = Ni. Just makes like no sense at all. Why would I pick J if I'm a perceiver and am literally waiting for my own inner perceptions to come? Somehow tricked myself into thinking J was the right one for me a while back, only works if it's understood as "Ni". Even though N is P. >_>

I noticed something amazing about muscular memory , when i need to learn a piano piece above of my level i use a few hours to learn it from memory. after sleeping most of the time i can just play alot better ... that is fascinating.

I'm just thinking the brain need to "mature" concepts and skills (Mind/body).
Reaching a conclusion after sleeping is not Ni , i find Ni highly inaccurate.

thejapanesehouse

When I'm practising the guitar, often melodies and finger-picking patterns will come to me in my sleep.

Equally, if I'm unsure about an interpersonal situation, the scenarios play out in my sleep - I'm often able to arrive at a conclusion I know will suit me and others if I follow the advice that dream-me gives to conscious me.

But yes, anything that you preoccupy yourself with in real-time, will overall impact your subconsciousness.