• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

False cognitive function expression?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Suppose that you have some biases towards types x,y,z and you assume to be a particular type. You then veraciously read to not only understand the functions to a higher degree, but to confirm your own type. Since there exists bias, it would make sense that one would be blind to certain input, so the likelihood to change type would decrease. Also, consider the effects of alcohol on inhibiting our inner thoughts that are restricted under normal circumstances. Subconsciously, this effect could be translated to the mbti domain, meaning that certain thoughts are inhibited such that one's personality aligns with their believed type (may or may not hold true). Therefore, one may have the propensity to act according to their supposed type, just as one may alter their personality to achieve some output. I've noticed my personality changes under certain circumstances. For instance, I fear rejection, so I act awkwardly with woman. I suppress my own thoughts sub-consciously, which causes my personality to be expressed differently. So, if you try to suppress the realization of possibly being another type, your personality should be expressed differently yet it won't come naturally.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think there is always a chance of a sort of "placebo" effect on something like this. Mirroring things. Say you strongly believe you are a type, suddenly you act more like a type. I think it is easier for people to mimic online as well. I don't think there is any way to "foolproof" it from that sort of thing - but I do think you have a point.

Greed

#1 thot
yeah i don't think there's necessarily a way to completely remove the bias. but when someone is entirely ignorant of mbti it makes things a little easier.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Suppose that you have some biases towards types x,y,z and you assume to be a particular type. You then veraciously read to not only understand the functions to a higher degree, but to confirm your own type. Since there exists bias, it would make sense that one would be blind to certain input, so the likelihood to change type would decrease. Also, consider the effects of alcohol on inhibiting our inner thoughts that are restricted under normal circumstances. Subconsciously, this effect could be translated to the mbti domain, meaning that certain thoughts are inhibited such that one's personality aligns with their believed type (may or may not hold true). Therefore, one may have the propensity to act according to their supposed type, just as one may alter their personality to achieve some output. I've noticed my personality changes under certain circumstances. For instance, I fear rejection, so I act awkwardly with woman. I suppress my own thoughts sub-consciously, which causes my personality to be expressed differently. So, if you try to suppress the realization of possibly being another type, your personality should be expressed differently yet it won't come naturally.
Plenty of people do the opposite. They spend their lives suppressing their natural preferences to satisfy others, perhaps due to their upbringing as a child and other factors about the environment in which they have lived. They learn about types and realize that those innate tendencies they have had to suppress all their lives, perhaps were told were "bad", are just another normal way to be. They understand why they were perpetually at odds with certain people, especially authority figures or those held up as role models. They stop suppressing, and allow their real nature to unfold.