• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi, Te OR Fe, Ti?

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So I have been trying to type myself and someone on another forum gave me a scenario.
The question was, imagine you're going to a concert with some friends and the car breaks down. What do you do?
I answered that I would start asking questions? What's our plan b? Does anyone have any know-how with cars? Let's decide what to do together.
He said that is Te.
Also, continuing on, question 2 was ...imagine you got the car running and got there on time for the show, and then at the end, somebody scores a pass to go backstage and an after party. What do you do?
I answered that, after a long night of partying and rocking out to the concert, I'm probably going to be tired and not want to go to any after party, so I would try to convince the others to not go, or I would say that I can sleep in the car and that they can go.
He said that was fi.
This confused me because in every test I get Fe and Ti.

So here's my question: Can you really truly know your core type by answering a few questions? What if you use fi for some situations and fe for others? How can you tell you use one over the other?

I think that guy was dead wrong, first because he doesn't know me, and second, because that is one little situation (I am not a fan of going to concerts with people) and if it was another situation, I might have answered differently.
Thoughts?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
No, you cannot fully pinpoint your type off a few questions. Fi and Ti are very similar in that both utilize a subjective basis. Now, let's define Fi along a line segment where the endpoints represent the extremes in terms of function development. The closer a function tends toward the the overdeveloped region, the higher the confidence level will be regarding recognizing its usage over time and vice versa. So, if a function is highly underdeveloped meaning suppressed, the function will behave superficially. Therefore, it will be more difficult to understand what the function entails. A strong Fi user would confidently understand where emotions are derived whereas a weak Fi user would have trouble doing so. You could make the conjecture that extroverted functions strengthen the short term circuits of the brain whereas introverted functions strengthen the long term circuits. Thus, a strong Fe user would be able to use their working memory to re-arrange the environment such that harmony is satisfied. Since you mentioned exhibiting Ti usage, then you'd have a decent grasp of logical systems from an internal standpoint and hence, would have a developed long term memory pertaining to it.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for your answer!
It's so very difficult to pinpoint what I mainly use, since my test scores on functions are almost evened out, but I usually have a strong preference for ti, and slight preference for fe...I have started to announce myself as INFX for that reason. It's almost as though I have a foot on INFP and another on INFJ :shock:

I always took TE to be more about organizing external systems and having things make sense on the outside (ex. explaining the reasons of your thoughts to someone in a very clear way), and TI to be what makes logical sense for that individual, and sorting out more of an internal logic and sense that does not necessarily makes sense to other people.... Hence those "prophetic" dreams sometimes every once in a blue moon?
Correct???????

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Thanks for your answer!
It's so very difficult to pinpoint what I mainly use, since my test scores on functions are almost evened out, but I usually have a strong preference for ti, and slight preference for fe...I have started to announce myself as INFX for that reason. It's almost as though I have a foot on INFP and another on INFJ :shock:

I always took TE to be more about organizing external systems and having things make sense on the outside (ex. explaining the reasons of your thoughts to someone in a very clear way), and TI to be what makes logical sense for that individual, and sorting out more of an internal logic and sense that does not necessarily makes sense to other people.... Hence those "prophetic" dreams sometimes every once in a blue moon?
Correct???????

This is correct . The main difference between Ti and Te is the direction of utilization. Generally, you'll find a high population of Te users in the Civil Engineering field as well as research (practical fields). I noticed this relation as I am currently in graduate school as a researcher. I've noticed that most follow specific guidelines when writing reports/papers, and use a copious amount of references to back up their claims....This is clearly Te at work. Te users want to follow a set of standards/procedures to attain some goal. They are very direct and to the point. If you argue with them, they have the propensity to cite facts or statistical measures. Thus, Te users project outward to find sources of info prior to confirmation whereas Ti users delve inwardly to verify that the external input matches their internal mapping, and may refine it accordingly. Another aspect is relevancy of info- Te users demand relevancy to get from A-->B most efficiently whereas Ti users subjectively consider all interesting info relevant regardless of outcome.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is correct . The main difference between Ti and Te is the direction of utilization. Generally, you'll find a high population of Te users in the Civil Engineering field as well as research (practical fields). I noticed this relation as I am currently in graduate school as a researcher. I've noticed that most follow specific guidelines when writing reports/papers, and use a copious amount of references to back up their claims....This is clearly Te at work. Te users want to follow a set of standards/procedures to attain some goal. They are very direct and to the point. If you argue with them, they have the propensity to cite facts or statistical measures. Thus, Te users project outward to find sources of info prior to confirmation whereas Ti users delve inwardly to verify that the external input matches their internal mapping, and may refine it accordingly. Another aspect is relevancy of info- Te users demand relevancy to get from A-->B most efficiently whereas Ti users subjectively consider all interesting info relevant regardless of outcome.

Yup. I am definitely a Ti user, then. Which makes it difficult in terms of explaining insights and how I got from one answer to another, and frustrating for many Te users around me. Thanks!

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
You have raised very good questions:
So here's my question: Can you really truly know your core type by answering a few questions?
I don't think the typers will be able to type people correctly. You'll notice that when they incorrectly tell something about yourself.
What if you use fi for some situations and fe for others?
Is it possible to do that?