• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Hate Your Type?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't hate my type. Why should I? I don't even hate the stereotype, I mostly just ignore it.

Lark

I dont hate on the basis of type, other things but not type.

I hate evil.

Shadow Play

There are certain traits of my personality which I dislike, but I'm not inclined to make an overall evaluation of "I hate myself". The only dimension I have serious issues with is the P preference, which corresponds with below average Conscientiousness. I wish structure and planning would come more easily to me. Otherwise, most of my issues are not type related.

I can't hate a type when I don't define my identity in typological terms, so I wouldn't say "I am an INTP" even if it's my best fit type. Besides, hating a type also misses the point of what the MBTI aims to do, which is to serve as a tool for fostering understanding of differences between people, as opposed to thinking of some types as being better or worse than others.

I guess I take issue with INTP stereotypes which either portray them as these Einstein-esque mad geniuses or as socially dysfunctional neckbeards, with little sense of nuance of the variation in type. Setting aside my issues with the cognitive functions, it's been my experience that a lot of people reject the INTP label because they don't relate to the Ti-dom function stacks, often preferring to identify as N-dominant or sometimes even relating strongly to Fi. Descriptions and stereotypes generally overemphasise the "left-brain" traits at the expense of "right-brain" traits (brief caveat: there is no such thing as a left-brain/right-brain dichotomy). So, there would be a lot of emphasis on attention to detail or systems building, but the creative, more whimsical aspects of personality are sometimes overlooked.

One other stereotype is what could be described as excess naval-gazing at the expense of real world accomplishments. I don't care much for fame or fortune, but I'm not satisfied with life unless I'm applying whatever skills and abilities I have to good use.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well maybe because - OH THERE'S A SQUIRREL

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
There are certain traits of my personality which I dislike, but I'm not inclined to make an overall evaluation of "I hate myself". The only dimension I have serious issues with is the P preference, which corresponds with below average Conscientiousness. I wish structure and planning would come more easily to me. Otherwise, most of my issues are not type related.

I can't hate a type when I don't define my identity in typological terms, so I wouldn't say "I am an INTP" even if it's my best fit type. Besides, hating a type also misses the point of what the MBTI aims to do, which is to serve as a tool for fostering understanding of differences between people, as opposed to thinking of some types as being better or worse than others.

I guess I take issue with INTP stereotypes which either portray them as these Einstein-esque mad geniuses or as socially dysfunctional neckbeards, with little sense of nuance of the variation in type. Setting aside my issues with the cognitive functions, it's been my experience that a lot of people reject the INTP label because they don't relate to the Ti-dom function stacks, often preferring to identify as N-dominant or sometimes even relating strongly to Fi. Descriptions and stereotypes generally overemphasise the "left-brain" traits at the expense of "right-brain" traits (brief caveat: there is no such thing as a left-brain/right-brain dichotomy). So, there would be a lot of emphasis on attention to detail or systems building, but the creative, more whimsical aspects of personality are sometimes overlooked.

One other stereotype is what could be described as excess naval-gazing at the expense of real world accomplishments. I don't care much for fame or fortune, but I'm not satisfied with life unless I'm applying whatever skills and abilities I have to good use.

Do intp's actually care about how others think?

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I don't care about what others think, but that's not the point. It's about how I, as an individual, relate or not relate to the way my supposed type is described.

Don't worry man , eventually you are gonna understand it.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm currently starting to hate all of mbti, tbh. No one can agree on anything. Everything is subjective. Grr.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Looks at my empty MBTI slot.

... Dunno?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, just some lame internet communities associated with them.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
I'm somewhere between INTJ and ENTJ and I don't hate either type, although there are idiots with both types, just like with any other of the 16 types.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Sorry for my previous post. (Deleted)
I said that because i hate mine ; ISTP.
I hate my Ti more than anything. Te is the best function :wubbie:
It's much better to become domineering and bossy, TJs are cool and powerful. Productive people. Sexy people. It seems that i can't attract them.. Do they just attracted to FPs/other TJs(?)
I Adore their traits ;) love you guys
Ti and Te will clash ; based from my experiences.
I seem lazy and it makes my TJ friends feel annoyed. In fact, i'm busy organizing my thoughts. In teamworks, i feel useless around them. (They are so good at completing tasks, be responsible, lead our team, etc. While i'm struggling to finish any tasks.)
I'm so jealous :wubbie: I'm trying to get closer, but their tense and cold faces answer it all.

These aren't necessarily traits you're born with or something...they're skills that can be learned. I'm sure plenty of books on how to develop leadership skills are out there. What you're saying are type traits are also stereotypes.

As for the thread question...I don't see why I would dislike any type. I'm more concerned with how a person treats me.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
These aren't necessarily traits you're born with or something...they're skills that can be learned. I'm sure plenty of books on how to develop leadership skills are out there. What you're saying are type traits are also stereotypes.

As for the thread question...I don't see why I would dislike any type. I'm more concerned with how a person treats me.

There is some inclinations but there is alot of others factor like education . I see mbti as a tool to interact and understand people ... internet gossip and dramas :bye:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
There is some inclinations but there is alot of others factor like education . I see mbti as a tool to interact and understand people ... internet gossip and dramas :bye:
At this point, after 6 or so years of wasting time with involvement and research, I've grown past it and come to realize that you can understand a person far better without it, as it merely creates unnecessary confines / restrictions that prevent the majority of typology users from perceiving the versatility that exists in everyone.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
The only dimension I have serious issues with is the P preference, which corresponds with below average Conscientiousness. I wish structure and planning would come more easily to me. Otherwise, most of my issues are not type related.
While there is a correspondence, J/P is not Conscientiousness. Correspondence is not the same as firm overlap, you can be a P with conscientiousness. I personally consider myself self-motivated and diligent, and I prefer participating in tasks which I consider productive, I struggle to engage in strictly entertaining activities for very long...but I am conscientious in a less structured way than what your typical "J" would be. Personally, I find that my ADD is more limiting than P in that. Big 5 has a limiting definition of Conscientiousness...
Conscientious people...exhibit a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement; they display planned rather than spontaneous behavior; and they are generally dependable.
...you can be conscientious and spontaneous simultaneously, it just depends upon which types of tasks you engage in. In something like college, that planning and scheduling is required more...it's not the case in everything. A paramedic team responding to emergencies is a situation in which what I'm trying to explain is exemplified. There is the foundational preparation or planning of what to do in situations, but it is used in a way that is spontaneous and adaptive as opposed to structured, organized, or planned. You literally cannot plan in that, you don't even know what to expect a lot of times. Take that and expand it into an overall underlying concept that can be applied to more situations than that.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm currently starting to hate all of mbti, tbh. No one can agree on anything. Everything is subjective. Grr.

I think there are so many different ways people have looked at it, that it is making it appear more subjective than it is.

Often times the difference comes from people looking more at dichotomies and stereotyping types rather than learning and understanding the cognitive functions, the function axis, and how each function builds upon another. I also feel enneagram can play in to show how while a type may be that type, it can vary due to other things like that.