• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Feeling types big gender difference

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Absolutely. Eg I see empathy as a sign of strength, whereas aggressiveness is often a sign of weakness. Secure v Insecure.

Would expand and say it's also quite situational, I at least personally think there is such a thing as warranted *'negative' aggression, but I digress (it's one of those nuanced things). In general, I agree that empathy on its own is a positive and 'strong' / valuable character trait, be it masculine or feminine, employed by anyone of any sex or age.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Something I've always wondered is what exactly does this kind of gesture (telling people to show emotion) achieves.

Everyone else in my family was a feeler. I think they are very uncomfortable around people who are not open and expressive. Maybe they are even weary of people when they do not understand how they feel and cannot "read" them or their motives.

I could be more specific about a few of my own experiences but I don't think that they apply or are relevant to the question in general.

Edit: This always seemed strange to me because if people asked what I was thinking/what I wanted I would flat out tell them. I guess that if I stated these things with no outward emotion to back it up it seems ingenuous to them.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Observing the general vibe in this thread, I just wanted to point out that the association of femininity with weakness is rooted in patriachal values. The idea that physical bravery, dominance and rationality is "good" is based on the same prejudice that sentimentality, softness and submissiveness is "bad". I think its important people detach themselves from social prejudice and see that all traits have their own value.
Indeed, they do. The notion that bravery, dominance, and rationality are "male" and sentimentality, softness, and submissivenss "female", however, is likewise rooted in patriarchal values. These are human qualities, accessible to all of us. We help no one by continuing to put people in boxes, even if we are willing to assign equal value to each box.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Indeed, they do. The notion that bravery, dominance, and rationality are "male" and sentimentality, softness, and submissivenss "female", however, is likewise rooted in patriarchal values. These are human qualities, accessible to all of us. We help no one by continuing to put people in boxes, even if we are willing to assign equal value to each box.

Hmm... partially, but I think in the main, more men display the former traits and women the latter. And thats OK! Just like with typology, it can be helpful to understand the inherent differences in temperament and type between people, so you can understand their behaviour and respond to them better. I dont think all women should be put into a feminine box, but denial of biology and natural instincts is not the answer either.

Itd be cool to see a worldwide movement of women reclaiming their femininity, holding it aloft proudly. Theres a power to femininity which our cultural climate seems to ignore.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... partially, but I think in the main, more men display the former traits and women the latter. And thats OK! Just like with typology, it can be helpful to understand the inherent differences in temperament and type between people, so you can understand their behaviour and respond to them better. I dont think all women should be put into a feminine box, but denial of biology and natural instincts is not the answer either.

Itd be cool to see a worldwide movement of women reclaiming their femininity, holding it aloft proudly. Theres a power to femininity which our cultural climate seems to ignore.
"Men display the former traits and women the latter" largely due to social pressure to do so. Witness the treatment still received by people who act opposite to these stereotypes. It is not OK if the behavior is constrained. Due to the pervasive nature of these social expectations, it is impossible to tell what is really inherent. There are enough exceptions of both genders that any gender-based biological drive is likely insignificant, and overshadowed by the many other factors that make us different from each other. We have been able to identify physiological bases for traits like introversion and extraversion, bases that show no link to gender. I imagine many other aspects of our makeup are hard-wired as well, in ways that don't relate to gender, much like skin or eye color. Extrapolating irresponsibly from what can be demonstrated on a physiological level serves no one. We can reclaim the value of those so-called "feminine traits" for everyone, without denying the reality of who we are as individuals.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
"Men display the former traits and women the latter" largely due to social pressure to do so. Witness the treatment still received by people who act opposite to these stereotypes. It is not OK if the behavior is constrained. Due to the pervasive nature of these social expectations, it is impossible to tell what is really inherent. There are enough exceptions of both genders that any gender-based biological drive is likely insignificant, and overshadowed by the many other factors that make us different from each other. We have been able to identify physiological bases for traits like introversion and extraversion, bases that show no link to gender. I imagine many other aspects of our makeup are hard-wired as well, in ways that don't relate to gender, much like skin or eye color. Extrapolating irresponsibly from what can be demonstrated on a physiological level serves no one. We can reclaim the value of those so-called "feminine traits" for everyone, without denying the reality of who we are as individuals.

Have you heard of the Gender Equality Paradox? Basically, studies show that women in countries which promote gender equality the highest, (eg Scandinavia) actually score higher for feminine traits like sensitivity, nurturing, and reject typically male professions like engineering in greater numbers than elsewhere. The more freedom you give individuals, the more differentiation you see between men and women.

Gender-equality paradox - Wikipedia

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oestrogen, testosterone, penis, vagina... are you going to deny the existence of these entirely?
If you actually read what I have been writing, you will see that I have not done so. These features have obvious ramifications, nost notably in health care (e.g. women get pap smears, men prostate exams), and our roles in reproduction. Extrapolating beyond this to behavior and character traits is not supported by the evidence.

Have you heard of the gender equality paradox? Basically, studies show that women in countries which promote gender equality the highest, (eg Scandinavia) actually score higher for feminine traits like sensitivity, nurturing, and reject typically male professions like engineering in greater numbers than elsewhere. The more freedom you give individuals, the more differentiation you see between men and women.

Gender-equality paradox - Wikipedia
I have already addressed this several times in other threads. The demonstrated bias in self-reported data on traits and even behavior makes such correlations and conclusions highly suspect. Articles that address this supposed paradox responsibly describe the prevailing social and political conditions that contribute to outcomes in various societies.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that there are more significant factors than gender in shaping who we are as individuals? The traits you have been describing fall more along the T/F dichotomy. While that shows some gender disparity, it is not nearly large enough to suggest something truly inherent in our biology like possession of a penis/vagina which you reference above.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you actually read what I have been writing, you will see that I have not done so. These features have obvious ramifications, nost notably in health care (e.g. women get pap smears, men prostate exams), and our roles in reproduction. Extrapolating beyond this to behavior and character traits is not supported by the evidence.

I have already addressed this several times in other threads. The demonstrated bias in self-reported data on traits and even behavior makes such correlations and conclusions highly suspect. Articles that address this supposed paradox responsibly describe the prevailing social and political conditions that contribute to outcomes in various societies.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that there are more significant factors than gender in shaping who we are as individuals? The traits you have been describing fall more along the T/F dichotomy. While that shows some gender disparity, it is not nearly large enough to suggest something truly inherent like possession of a penis/vagina which you reference above.

The whole point of the Gender Equality Paradox is that it takes social and political conditions out of the equation, by looking at the social pressure that respondees may be subject to. Its like a graph of social pressure v personality trait.

And yes... the traits do fall along the T/F dichotomy. Men and women also tend to fall along this dichotomy.

Did I claim that gender was the most significant factor in shaping who we are as individuals? I think its a very important factor, but not the most. Seeing as Im interested in MBTI, it seems obvious that Im a proponent of individual personality, and if Im going to put people into any boxes it'll be by their letter combination...

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The whole point of the Gender Equality Paradox is that it takes social and political conditions out of the equation, by looking at the social pressure that respondees may be subject to. Its like a graph of social pressure v personality trait.
Actually, it doesn't. It just describes the different pressures present in different societies. Until we find a society free of any such pressures, we cannot make reliable conclusions about what is inherent.

And yes... the traits do fall along the T/F dichotomy. Men and women also tend to fall along this dichotomy.
With as many as 40% of each gender having the "opposite" preference. Not very convincing for something related to biology. Imagine if 40% (or even 10%) of women had a penis! The number of people born with ambiguous genitalia is miniscule compared with this.

Did I claim that gender was the most significant factor in shaping who we are as individuals? I think its a very important factor, but not the most. Seeing as Im interested in MBTI, it seems obvious that Im a proponent of individual personality, and if Im going to put people into any boxes it'll be by their letter combination...
You made no attempt to put gender into context/perspective, instead reiterating how biology determines character, personality, and observed behavior, all the while I was explaining the opposite. Not only is gender not the main factor, it is not even very important relative to others, except (and this is a huge exception) for the social and cultural programming we all internalize growing up. This is undeniable and accounts for most of the observed differences you reference, as well as for the demonstrated bias in direct reporting of the same.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, it doesn't. It just describes the different pressures present in different societies. Until we find a society free of any such pressures, we cannot make reliable conclusions about what is inherent.

With as many as 40% of each gender having the "opposite" preference. Not very convincing for something related to biology. Imagine if 40% (or even 10%) of women had a penis! The number of people born with ambiguous genitalia is miniscule compared with this.

You made no attempt to put gender into context/perspective, instead reiterating how biology determines character, personality, and observed behavior, all the while I was explaining the opposite. Not only is gender not the main factor, it is not even very important relative to others, except (and this is a huge exception) for the social and cultural programming we all internalize growing up. This is undeniable and accounts for most of the observed differences you reference, as well as for the demonstrated bias in direct reporting of the same.

If you think that studies looking at the correlation of social pressure with personality arent taking into account social pressure then a) you've failed to see the point of the studies... or b) no empirical data is empirical enough to satisfy you on this point, so I wont reference any more.

Yes, plenty of men type as Feelers. I would be one of those. Thinkers can also be feminine tho. T and F dont always correspond with masculine and feminine, whereas men and women often do.

And I certainly dont think social programming is "undeniable". If that were the case, I would be an aggressive T type who likes cars, or whatever the stereotype is. It seems evident to me that we are largely products of our nature.

[Edit] I realise that me not showing certain masculine traits also works as a refutation of the idea of biological gender differences... I dont really fit the mould in a lot of ways. My point is I never felt any pressure to be one way or another: drawing from my own experience this idea of pervasive, insidious cultural programming affecting all aspects of a person's behaviour rings false.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I think societal roles and expectations could lead a lot of people to mistype along the dichotomy. Besides, we all have a feeling and a thinking function in our stack. Plus, we all make decisions with both metrics at times.

This could also be a learned behavior reflected in individuals who might have spent time forcing themselves to appear as one to correlate more with gender than they do the other.

I'm not sure if hormones impact the dichotomy that much though. Hormones do not dictate decision making even though they can be an influence. People with hormone deficiencies can still appear to be on one side of the dichotomy or the other. And I doubt all feeler men and thinker women have hormone deficiencies. I don't believe hormone defeciencies are that common. And if a transgender individual goes on hormones, their personality type won't change, just aspects of their physical appearance. So, I don't really see it as an outgrowth of testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone.

I do think that statistically, more women are probably Fs and more men are probably Ts. However, it's a dichotomy so there are going to be quite a few people who see both attributes as influential in our lives.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you think that studies looking at the correlation of social pressure with personality arent taking into account social pressure then a) you've failed to see the point of the studies... or b) no empirical data is empirical enough to satisfy you on this point, so I wont reference any more.
The studies I have read were focused on academic and career choices, which are easier to measure than personality traits, but point to more limited conclusions. We can get answers only to the questions we ask. The pressure on men to be breadwinners has remained strong even in progressive nations. Were that removed, I wonder how many men would choose to enter these stereotypically female professions? Perhaps those speak to innate human desires that women have been freer to pursue due to the more frequent ability to rely on a spouse for support. Bottom line: shortcomings in what was measured and how it was measured make the conclusions of such studies suspect, compared with physiological evidence that is much less ambiguous and easier to gather.

Yes, plenty of men type as Feelers. I would be one of those. Thinkers can also be feminine tho. T and F dont always correspond with masculine and feminine, whereas men and women often do.

And I certainly dont think social programming is "undeniable". If that were the case, I would be an aggressive T type who likes cars, or whatever the stereotype is. It seems evident to me that we are largely products of our nature.

[Edit] I realise that me not showing certain masculine traits also works as a refutation of the idea of biological gender differences... I dont really fit the mould in a lot of ways. My point is I never felt any pressure to be one way or another: drawing from my own experience this idea of pervasive, insidious cultural programming affecting all aspects of a person's behaviour rings false.
No one escapes social programming. Its effects have been demonstrated in many studies, relating to a broad spectrum of behavior and expression. This affects me, too, and comes out in my reflexive responses to people or situations based on gender. At least I (usually) see them, and can then question them and remove one more thread of bias from my outlook. Some of us are more resistant to this programming than others, for various reasons, many of which I think are linked to type.

Your description is also simplistic. Social programming doesn't make us all turn into a uniform gender-based stereotype. Even stereotypes are more multifaceted than that. It simply leads us to internalize and act upon gender-based assumptions, regarding others and ourselves. I do this, too. For instance, now and then I wear dresses, something I doubt I would do were I male, all other things being equal. The fact that you don't show certain stereotypically masculine traits just means that you are an individual, with far more to your makeup than gender. I am, too, and demonstrate very few stereotypically feminine traits. We are not outliers. We are in very large minorities.

Well, I think societal roles and expectations could lead a lot of people to mistype along the dichotomy. Besides, we all have a feeling and a thinking function in our stack. Plus, we all make decisions with both metrics at times.

This could also be a learned behavior reflected in individuals who might have spent time forcing themselves to appear as one to correlate more with gender than they do the other.

I'm not sure if hormones impact the dichotomy that much though. Hormones do not dictate decision making even though they can be an influence. People with hormone deficiencies can still appear to be on one side of the dichotomy or the other. And I doubt all feeler men and thinker women have hormone deficiencies. I don't believe hormone defeciencies are that common. And if a transgender individual goes on hormones, their personality type won't change, just aspects of their physical appearance. So, I don't really see it as an outgrowth of testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone.

I do think that statistically, more women are probably Fs and more men are probably Ts. However, it's a dichotomy so there are going to be quite a few people who see both attributes as influential in our lives.
This statistical T/F difference is well known, but likely reflects some of the bias I described above, as do all surveys involving direct reporting. These learned behaviors are real, and many people don't even realize they are doing them. Hormone levels differ far more between men and women than would be consistent as an explanation of behavior and personality. An extremely masculine woman will still have far less testosterone in her system, for instance, than the most feminine man. They are simply different ranges, keyed to how the two sexes operate in reproduction. Women have historically been given far more license to express emotion than men - and have been harshly judged for it at the same time. We do need to stop devaluing stereotypically feminine traits, as well as the men who naturally demonstrate them. This is one area where women really do seem to have it easier.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The studies I have read were focused on academic and career choices, which are easier to measure than personality traits

As I previously said, studies also included personality tests showing women scoring higher for typically feminine traits in more gender-equal countries. (The following references Big 5, but Ive read articles with more specific findings like women cry more).

Gender Equality Could Push Men’s and Women’s Personalities Apart - The Atlantic

Why is it so abhorrent to believe that women tend to be feminine, men masculine? And ergo more women are caring, while more men dominant? From this premise does it necessarily follow that we disrespect and devalue each other? Even just within the confines of this forum. Bearing in mind that this is a) An intellectual safe space with no ramifications for the outside world... b) We are already engaged in the categorising of personality by generalities. If you think that most ENTPs have a quick wit, is it incoherent to believe that most women like to wear a dress and feel pretty from time to time? And if you're willing to believe the former is someone's nature, why not the latter?

I realise Im heading up a dead end with this as you have very much hunkered down in your position. I just wanted to express my feelings on it.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As I previously said, studies also included personality testing showing women scoring higher for typically feminine traits in more gender-equal countries. (The following references Big 5, but Ive read articles with more specific findings like women cry more).

Do they actually cry more, or are they just allowed to cry more?
Tons of women are though-ass and don't cry because of the demands of today's society as more women enter professional fields. Crying, inherent? I think not.

Gender Equality Could Push Men’s and Women’s Personalities Apart - The Atlantic

Why is it so abhorrent to believe that women tend to be feminine, men masculine? And ergo more women are caring, while more men dominant? Following this premise does it necessarily follow that we disrespect and devalue each other? Even just within the confines of this forum. Bearing in mind that this is a) An intellectual safe space with no ramifications for the real world... b) We are already engaged in the categorising of personality by generalities. If you think that most ENTPs have a quick wit, is it inchorent to believe that most women like to wear a dress and feel pretty from time to time? And if you're willing to believe the former is someone's natural preference, why not the latter?

I realise Im heading up a dead end with this as you have very much hunkered down in your position. I just wanted to express my feelings on it.

Trends are trends. The problem with subscribing to them is looking at a person as a tag of stereotypes instead of as an individual, because it would be contrasting them with a 'norm', which is rather baseless since on the individual level, stereotypes do not matter and do not apply. In that aspect, subscribing to stereotypes or believing in them are harmful and not to mention entirely useless. Also, there's the bit where we have no idea if these things are inherent + no way to tell for sure with things as they are.

It is not incoherent to believe so, but the believer might find themselves struck when faced with an individual with atypical presentation- a consequence of their own narrow-mindedness. Again, if it were inherent, the statistics would be much clearer, and things such as sex change surgery would not impact an individual whatsoever. There is a difference between looking at data and believing in the data. Also, 'ENTP' is a cognitive process and has absolutely nothing to do with individual presentation, let alone masculinity - feminity spectrum. Women can slay in hot pink heels. She is doing a 'masculine' activity in 'feminine' attire. Big deal.

Also, if you want to go masc/fem aesthetics, it is somewhat the limitations of human biology- heels look so much better on the generally slender legs of a woman. Both men and women can want to appear attractive, women use heels, men use whatever else. Both styles become attributed into masculinity or feminity- when it is only natural consequence in the face of biology. The basic reasoning is the same, and not gender-constrained (and thus it is ridiculous to attribute physical makeup or appearance as masculine or feminine, it is just an end result of a gender-neutral behavioural motivation). On a cognitive level, we are much less gender-constrained.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I previously said, studies also included personality tests showing women scoring higher for typically feminine traits in more gender-equal countries. (The following references Big 5, but Ive read articles with more specific findings like women cry more).
As Ixaerus observed, women are allowed to cry more. As I have observed, self-reported data contain significant bias.

Why is it so abhorrent to believe that women tend to be feminine, men masculine? And ergo more women are caring, while more men dominant? From this premise does it necessarily follow that we disrespect and devalue each other? Even just within the confines of this forum. Bearing in mind that this is a) An intellectual safe space with no ramifications for the outside world... b) We are already engaged in the categorising of personality by generalities. If you think that most ENTPs have a quick wit, is it incoherent to believe that most women like to wear a dress and feel pretty from time to time? And if you're willing to believe the former is someone's nature, why not the latter?

You are welcome to your feelings and beliefs, but you are reaching a dead end because the evidence does not support your position. Yes indeed, "women tend to be feminine, men masculine", but credible data support at most a weak link to physiology for this, and point instead to social and cultural conditioning as the primary (though perhaps not exclusive) influence. Traditionally, women were not allowed to be dominant, nor men caring unless in a "defend the weak" sort of way.

Categorizing people is best done using categories that actually mean something. Male and female are relevant in many situations, chiefly related to physiological differences, as in human reproduction, medical exams or even fitting clothing to body type. In terms of traits, preferences, and behavior, I find personality types to say much more about a person than gender, as I have mentioned before. The desire to look attractive or express oneself through appearance is human, not feminine. Women and men will do this in different ways based on what they have been raised with. Iconoclasts of either sex are more likely to push those envelopes. (And no, when I wear a dress, it isn't to feel pretty. That desire has never been on my radar.)

Do they actually cry more, or are they just allowed to cry more?
Tons of women are though-ass and don't cry because of the demands of today's society as more women enter professional fields. Crying, inherent? I think not.
Exactly. Plus, the "emotional woman" is a stereotype that isn't supported by reality. In many contexts and cultures women have been expected to be compliant and uncomplaining, enduring all manner of hardship, even physical abuse, without a peep or even a frown. That rivals the stoicism usually associated with men, and shows that emotionality - or control over one's emotions - is not the domain of either sex, it just looks different due to context.

Women can slay in hot pink heels. She is doing a 'masculine' activity in 'feminine' attire. Big deal.
Another example.

Also, if you want to go masc/fem aesthetics, it is somewhat the limitations of human biology- heels look so much better on the generally slender legs of a woman. Both men and women can want to appear attractive, women use heels, men use whatever else. Both styles become attributed into masculinity or feminity- when it is only natural consequence in the face of biology. The basic reasoning is the same, and not gender-constrained (and thus it is ridiculous to attribute physical makeup or appearance as masculine or feminine, it is just an end result of a gender-neutral behavioural motivation). On a cognitive level, we are much less gender-constrained.
Yes, aesthetics are related to body type, which is an aspect of physiology. Different styles will look better on different body types, and hence on the average woman vs. the average man, though even then, there is considerable variation. But style is constrained beyond that. There is nothing about male physiology that prevents wearing skirts and dresses, and indeed, in some times and cultures men have worn garments that are much more dress-like than the shirts and trousers customary today (e.g. kilts). There is nothing in male physiology to prevent the use of makeup, jewelry, or nail polish either. Indeed, if humans were to follow the rest of nature, the male of the species would be more flamboyant in appearance than the female.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Not to derail the thread, but I really wonder if we can apply this to enneagram too? To be completely honest here, I've always wondered why most of the famous type 2's I have seen listed are women. There appears to be an overwhelming bias in favor of women when it comes to Type 2-like not 60-40, more like 80-20 or 90-10. For type 8 it appears to be the reverse. All the other enneagram types seem mostly balanced though, except maybe 4 and 5 to a lesser extent (?)

So what's the reason for this? Nature, nurture, type confirmation bias?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not to derail the thread, but I really wonder if we can apply this to enneagram too? To be completely honest here, I've always wondered why most of the famous type 2's I have seen listed are women. There appears to be an overwhelming bias in favor of women when it comes to Type 2-like not 60-40, more like 80-20 or 90-10. For type 8 it appears to be the reverse. All the other enneagram types seem mostly balanced though, except maybe 4 and 5 to a lesser extent (?)

So what's the reason for this? Nature, nurture, type confirmation bias?
As with other results based on self-reported information there is likely bias in the results as a result of "nurture"; how much, I cannot be certain. I think enneagram types are more likely to be influenced by nurture than MBTI types, which seem rather to be inherent (due to nature), but this is just speculation.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
As with other results based on self-reported information there is likely bias in the results as a result of "nurture"; how much, I cannot be certain. I think enneagram types are more likely to be influenced by nurture than MBTI types, which seem rather to be inherent (due to nature), but this is just speculation.

Interesting thought... ok I disagree with that last part though. I feel like enneagram is much more about the core of someone’s personality, and their foundation, and is more likely to be nature. It’s way deeper than mbti... the things it talks about are more set in stone early in life. Whereas mbti, especially the way it’s used in popular culture, is so much more malleable. Like the letters j vs p, introversion or extroversion, sensing or intuition, I can easily see this being influenced by how you grew up and what was valued, or changing throughout life (at least superficially)

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting thought... ok I disagree with that last part though. I feel like enneagram is much more about the core of someone’s personality, and their foundation, and is more likely to be nature. It’s way deeper than mbti... the things it talks about are more set in stone early in life. Whereas mbti, especially the way it’s used in popular culture, is so much more malleable. Like the letters j vs p, introversion or extroversion, sensing or intuition, I can easily see this being influenced by how you grew up and what was valued, or changing throughout life (at least superficially)
I did admit the last was speculation. Regarding MBTI, I have seen evidence that links E/I to brain physiology, and more limited evidence regarding qualities related to the Big 5 "conscientiousness" factor, which seems related to J, or perhaps Je. MBTI is supposed to describe cognitive processes, which seems more likely tied to how our brains are wired. Enneagram relates more to motivations, which seem more open to influence by our experiences.