• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverted around Introverts, but Introverted around Extroverts?

IntrovertedCactus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
I usually score almost 50/50 on extroversion vs introversion. My actual results usually depend on my mood.

So. Does anybody else have this happen?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't. I am quite firmly in the "I" camp. I do know several F types who have reported feeling more like T's around other F's, but like F's when around T's. I don't see why it can't happen on the other dichotomies as well, especially for people with relatively balanced preferences.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am like that. I can seem a bit eager to communicate around other introverts. But if I am around extroverts I just want to get away. Honestly it is a spectrum.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yep. It's just about extremes and balance. Too much ( or too little) stimulation is unhealthy for anyone.

In my case I just really love being around other people because I love the variety of different perspectives and ideas...until I get around them and remember that most people do nothing but spew memes and are completely incapable of holding a real conversation let alone an original thought.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Often yes.

However for me the real difference is probably formal/informal environment. In informal I often have nothing to add or I just don't care about the topic.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
There's a lot of factors that come into play. if you are unmotivated, depressed, passive, and lack energy...then, you will likely be more reclusive. if you are introverted, yet have a lot of energy, motivation/passion, exc....then the time lag in between social events should decrease because the recharge rate will increase. That is, you will supply the mind will more knowledge in a unit time, which permits you to share at an earlier period.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Often yes.

However for me the real difference is probably formal/informal environment. In informal I often have nothing to add or I just don't care about the topic.
Same here. If I do appear extraverted, it is because I have to do something like give a presentation, or lead a meeting, or host something. It doesn't have much to do with the E/I preferences of who I am with.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Often yes.

This.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I rated myself as a solid introvert until I realized that I can be rather outgoing, but that sometimes my energy drains more easily than usual and it had little to do with E/I. After paying attention I realized my energy goes down the drain if I am around extroverts who are Feelers. Otherwise, toss me with an EXTX (who aren't emotionally charged) and we can talk just fine, the energy I expend is just like I when I'm talking to introverts.

It also depends on what you like talking about, I really like sharing information (of almost any kind) so be it typing paragraphs of typology theories in this forum (look at this self-fulfilling prophecy) or drafting a game strategy / guide, I can be rather talkative.

Most people are rather balanced. Think about it, most people would get along with people of similar interests, and avoid those who don't. Those who absolutely avoid people or befriend literally every one they see might be special snowflakes. Also, I vs E goes beyond sociability, it also has to do with energy / activity level in general, how much stimulation you need.

MBTI(R) Step II: The 40 Facets of the 16 Types – Personality Playbook
Most people aren't strictly either camp, but I find that this sheds some light into the division of the facets and what makes up Introversion and Extroversion.

rav3n

This maybe a social adaptation to create balance so perhaps, look to Fe.