• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Definitions and keywords for functions/dichotomies

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Cognitive function: one of the 8 specified cognitive faculties used to process information

Perception: an awareness of the qualities of something

Judgement: choice: "an act of choosing between two or more possibilities."

Extroverted: externally directed

Introverted: internally directed

Sensing: perception through direct means, by details, perception: "the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses."

Intuition: perception through indirect means, by connections, perception: "the way in which something is regarded, understood, or interpreted."

Thinking: judgement based on unidirectional/direct factors

Feeling: judgement based on bidirectional/reciprocal factors

Extroverted perception: experience: "the act or process of directly perceiving events or reality."

Introverted perception: apperception: "the mental process by which a person makes sense of an idea by assimilating it to the body of ideas he or she already possesses."

Extroverted judgement: action: "the fact or process of doing something, typically to achieve an aim."

Introverted judgement: decision: "a conclusion or resolution reached after consideration", weighing up

Extroverted Sensation: observation: "the ability to notice things, especially significant details."

Extroverted Intuition: inference: "a guess that you make or an opinion that you form based on the information that you have."

Introverted Sensation: consolidation: "combine (a number of things) into a single more effective or coherent whole" and "to become, or cause something to become, stronger, and more certain." (consolidate)

Introverted Intuition: synthesis: "the combination of components or elements to form a connected whole."

Extroverted Thinking: operation: "(of a person) control the functioning of (a machine, process, or system)." (operate), from Latin operārī, "to work, be efficacious, effect, produce."

Extroverted Feeling: interaction: "an occasion when two or more people or things communicate with or react to each other."

Introverted Thinking: determination: "the process of establishing something exactly by [for example] calculation or research."

Introverted Feeling: consideration: "consideration for the needs of [for example] other people." (thoughtfulness)

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Cognitive function: one of the 8 specified cognitive faculties used to process information

Perception: an awareness of the qualities of something

Judgement: choice: "an act of choosing between two or more possibilities."

Extroverted: externally directed

Introverted: internally directed

Sensing: perception through direct means, by details, perception: "the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses."

Intuition: perception through indirect means, by connections, perception: "the way in which something is regarded, understood, or interpreted."

Thinking: judgement based on unidirectional/direct factors

Feeling: judgement based on bidirectional/reciprocal factors

Extroverted perception: experience: "the act or process of directly perceiving events or reality."

Introverted perception: apperception: "the mental process by which a person makes sense of an idea by assimilating it to the body of ideas he or she already possesses."

Extroverted judgement: action: "the fact or process of doing something, typically to achieve an aim."

Introverted judgement: decision: "a conclusion or resolution reached after consideration", weighing up

Extroverted Sensation: observation: "the ability to notice things, especially significant details."

Extroverted Intuition: inference: "a guess that you make or an opinion that you form based on the information that you have."

Introverted Sensation: consolidation: "combine (a number of things) into a single more effective or coherent whole" and "to become, or cause something to become, stronger, and more certain." (consolidate)

Introverted Intuition: synthesis: "the combination of components or elements to form a connected whole."

Extroverted Thinking: operation: "(of a person) control the functioning of (a machine, process, or system)." (operate), from Latin operārī, "to work, be efficacious, effect, produce."

Extroverted Feeling: interaction: "an occasion when two or more people or things communicate with or react to each other."

Introverted Thinking: determination: "the process of establishing something exactly by [for example] calculation or research."

Introverted Feeling: consideration: "consideration for the needs of [for example] other people." (thoughtfulness)

Nice work. Particularly agree with your Extroverted Sensation and Intuition difference, in that one is based on concrete observation, the other indirect inference.

My only query is your distinction between Extroverted and Introverted Feeling. To my mind, the key distinction is the former seeks external (social) harmony while the latter internal harmony. So introverted feeling need not include consideration for others, altho it can. Its more about forming a coherent inner world of feeling-based values, and upholding and regulating that.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Jung has dedicated whole chapter XI in psychological types for definitions pages 518-617. I would suggest that should be the main references for this and recommend all to check it out.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Nice work. Particularly agree with your Extroverted Sensation and Intuition difference, in that one is based on concrete observation, the other indirect inference.

My only query is your distinction between Extroverted and Introverted Feeling. To my mind, the key distinction is the former seeks external (social) harmony while the latter internal harmony. So introverted feeling need not include consideration for others, altho it can. Its more about forming a coherent inner world of feeling-based values, and upholding and regulating that.

I basically agree, I felt afterwards that I hadn't described Fi properly. I don't know at the moment what term would be more appropriate.

Fi has to do with how one is affected. (that's what I meant by "consideration" - it's weighing up things on a social/emotional level such as whether you think someone is a good person, but the term isn't a great fit)