• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Belief in Free Will and Type Correlation?

rav3n

Some humans are instinctively more social than others. That can partly be put down to Introversion/Extroversion. Also natural levels of empathy.
But even the most social people dont always obey and adopt every social norm, if its not in their best interest at the time.
Evidence of free will. Choice.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Evidence of free will. Choice.

Thats correct, in the sense of being free from external influences. However looking inside out, a person will always do whats in their best interest. They cannot do otherwise.

rav3n

Thats correct, in the sense of being free from external influences. However looking inside out, a person will always do whats in their best interest. They cannot do otherwise.
Plenty of people behave in manners that aren't in their best interests for whatever reason, whether for negative or positive reasons.

For the sake of argument, I vote against my best interests since it's for the greater good. I'm not generally a greater good person when it comes to social rules since many are traditional and irrational rules such as gender roles. I know plenty of people who do the same.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Plenty of people behave in manners that aren't in their best interests for whatever reason, whether for negative or positive reasons.

For the sake of argument, I vote against my best interests since it's for the greater good. I'm not generally a greater good person when it comes to social rules since many are traditional and irrational rules such as gender roles. I know plenty of people who do the same.

Yes, thats a good point. Since humans are such a social species there can be an overlap between an individual's best interest and those of the group. Thats what altruism is: when its in your best interest to consider others before yourself. We're rewarded with a sort of warm, fuzzy high.

Anyway Im not trying to convince you one way or the other. This thread was more intended to find trends between type and belief. On that note: may I ask what you type as in MBTI?

rav3n

Yes, thats a good point. Since humans are such a social species there can be an overlap between an individual's best interest and those of the group. Thats what altruism is: when its in your best interest to consider others before yourself. We're rewarded with a sort of warm, fuzzy high.

Anyway Im not trying to convince you one way or the other. This thread was more intended to find trends between type and belief. On that note: may I ask what you type as in MBTI?
Guess, premised on your hypothesis.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I could go into a deep, endless rabbit hole, here. Um, given I have about 5 minutes, I'll just put it simply- I am of the opinion (currently, anyway) that you have a plethora of choices you make everyday. Once you make a choice, the possibility of other choices is eliminated and there are further choices you will make upon that choice, and on and on. I am not sure if this is free will or not, as it can be argued to be either.:huh: