• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi vs Fe

The Seeker 1994

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9 4
People often confuse INFPs and INFJs, these clips show the difference (I'm using an ISFP but it doesn't matter because FiTe is the focus)

"Rightly or not, Fi is commonly perceived as more emotionally “mature” than Fe. For ISFPs, as well as other FP types, emotions are not readily expressed or dramatized. Instead, they are typically managed internally or repackaged and expressed via Extraverted Thinking (Te). Consequently, ISFPs are outwardly measured and rational in their presentation; outsiders may even mistake them for Thinking types."- Here is an example of that- YouTube. Notice how rational he is when expressing how he feels, you're seeing Fi and Te working together. Notice also how self aware he is, he understands how he feels personally about things. 3.00 onwards is a great example of Fi.

"Because the INFJ’s feeling function is extroverted, they naturally tune into other people’s moods and emotions. Because of this superpower, INFJs tend to have high levels of empathy, and it’s no surprise that many of them pursue careers in therapy, social work, and counseling.
The downside is INFJs may have a hard time discerning their own feelings. They may even absorb others’ emotions and feel them as if they were their own. Here is an example of that- YouTube. It's ironic because the very thing he doesn't do is open up about his childhood. From 0.40 onwards he's asked if he's tough.

0.54 he says we're all tough and then 0.57 he goes into full Fe mode. Why is this Fe- He almost takes on the role of a psychologist even though he's being interviewed. Fe types see people as a collective, so when he's answering these personal questions he's not answering them from his own perspective, he's viewing it from everyone's. Toughness is because YOUR trying to cover something, he's answering it indirectly. Not to deceive as one might believe- without an understanding of MBTI , that's why this stuff is great because we see why people are the way they are or why they respond the way they do, otherwise we might jump to conclusions.

Notice how different is it to the Clapton interview. 1.10 he's asked if he's vulnerable, he responds- i don't know, i would imagine i am and then at 1.18 he doesn't explore that, he brushes it off and kind of jokes. I'm not saying Fe types lack self awareness, they have values and beliefs( INFJs are the most private type) but in terms of looking inwards it's not something that comes naturally to them because they have Fe not Fi, their feeling is focused on others.

People often confuse INFPs and INFJs, these clips show the difference (I'm using an ISFP but it doesn't matter because FiTe is the focus)

"Rightly or not, Fi is commonly perceived as more emotionally “mature” than Fe. For ISFPs, as well as other FP types, emotions are not readily expressed or dramatized. Instead, they are typically managed internally or repackaged and expressed via Extraverted Thinking (Te). Consequently, ISFPs are outwardly measured and rational in their presentation; outsiders may even mistake them for Thinking types."- Here is an example of that- YouTube. Notice how rational he is when expressing how he feels, you're seeing Fi and Te working together. Notice also how self aware he is, he understands how he feels personally about things. 3.00 onwards is a great example of Fi.

"Because the INFJ’s feeling function is extroverted, they naturally tune into other people’s moods and emotions. Because of this superpower, INFJs tend to have high levels of empathy, and it’s no surprise that many of them pursue careers in therapy, social work, and counseling.
The downside is INFJs may have a hard time discerning their own feelings. They may even absorb others’ emotions and feel them as if they were their own. Here is an example of that- YouTube. It's ironic because the very thing he doesn't do is open up about his childhood. From 0.40 onwards he's asked if he's tough.

0.54 he says we're all tough and then 0.57 he goes into full Fe mode. Why is this Fe- He almost takes on the role of a psychologist even though he's being interviewed. Fe types see people as a collective, so when he's answering these personal questions he's not answering them from his own perspective, he's viewing it from everyone's. Toughness is because YOUR trying to cover something, he's answering it indirectly. Not to deceive as one might believe- without an understanding of MBTI , that's why this stuff is great because we see why people are the way they are or why they respond the way they do, otherwise we might jump to conclusions.

Notice how different is it to the Clapton interview. 1.10 he's asked if he's vulnerable, he responds- i don't know, i would imagine i am and then at 1.18 he doesn't explore that, he brushes it off and kind of jokes. I'm not saying Fe types lack self awareness, they have values and beliefs( INFJs are the most private type) but in terms of looking inwards it's not something that comes naturally to them because they have Fe not Fi, their feeling is focused on others.>

Lets see an Fi and Fe interaction that shows that and a great example. 2.45- 4.12-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-mGCeS0CFM. Rose is the one being interviewed but he almost turns things around, like Pacino he almost turns into a psychologist. Colbert is looking inwards (Fi) and Rose is looking outwards (Fe). Also notice at 2.45 Rose immediately responds to the audience when he hears a clap, that's his Fe.

Tater

"Rightly or not, Fi is commonly perceived as more emotionally “mature” than Fe. For ISFPs, as well as other FP types, emotions are not readily expressed or dramatized.

So basically what you're saying is that Fi = emotional constipation.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This page is a good resource for function descriptions written directly by Carl Jung.

Interestingly Jung describes Fi as

Jung said:
It is principally among women that I have found the priority of introverted feeling. The proverb 'Still waters run deep' is very true of such women. They are mostly silent, inaccessible, and hard to understand; often they hide behind a childish or banal mask, and not infrequently their temperament is melancholic. They neither shine nor reveal themselves. Since they submit the control of their lives to their subjectively orientated feeling, their true motives generally remain concealed. Their outward demeanour is harmonious and inconspicuous; they reveal a delightful repose, a sympathetic parallelism, which has no desire to affect others, either to impress, influence, or change them in any way. Should this outer side be somewhat emphasized, a suspicion of neglectfulness and coldness may easily obtrude itself, which not seldom increases to a real indifference for the comfort and well-being of others. One distinctly feels the movement of feeling away from the object. With the normal type, however, such an event only occurs when the object has in some way too strong an effect. The harmonious feeling atmosphere rules only so long as the object moves upon its own way with a moderate feeling intensity, and makes no attempt to cross the other's path. There is little effort to accompany the real emotions of the object, which tend to be damped and rebuffed, or to put it more aptly, are 'cooled off' by a negative feeling-judgment. Although one may find a constant readiness for a peaceful and harmonious companionship, the unfamiliar object is shown no touch of amiability, no gleam of responding warmth, but is met by a manner of apparent indifference or repelling coldness. [p. 493]

Longer description of Fi

And Jung describes Fe as
Jung said:
In so far as feeling is, incontestably, a more obvious peculiarity of feminine psychology than thinking, the most pronounced feeling-types are also to be found among women. When extraverted feeling possesses the priority we speak of an extraverted feeling-type. Examples of this type that I can call to mind are, almost without exception, women. She is a woman who follows the guiding-line of her feeling. As the result of education her feeling has become developed into an adjusted function, subject to conscious control. Except in extreme cases, feeling has a personal character, in spite of the fact that the subjective factor may be already, to a large extent, repressed. The personality appears to be adjusted in relation to objective conditions. Her feelings correspond with objective situations and general values.

Longer description of Fe

rav3n

They're both considered rational decision making functions, premised on the following:

Fi = internal values
Fe = external social values

Tater

Fi types only register neurotic / disturbed emotional expressions as "real." All other forms of emotional expression, Fi types register as "fake."

Example of what Fi types register as "real":

Example of what Fi types register as "fake":

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fi types only register neurotic / disturbed emotional expressions as "real." All other forms of emotional expression, Fi types register as "fake."

Can agree with you based off experiences with Fi-doms.
However, Fi and Fe are more of cognitive processes, so I do wonder how it often does happen to turn out this way.

Can only see this through an ennea lens, in which an E4 would be attracted to the kind of Fi mentioned above.
But, if anything, I have also seen that some of the most avoidant of 'jarring' expressions of 'authenticity' can also be Fi-dom. So is it really that universal? Some Fis can nod their heads at the latter. I'm not as sure of how Fe works, seems more flexible / less particular.

The Seeker 1994

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9 4

Example of what Fi types register as "real":

Example of what Fi types register as "fake":

Hahaha:)

The second clip, the music is beautiful

The Seeker 1994

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9 4
Can agree with you based off experiences with Fi-doms.
However, Fi and Fe are more of cognitive processes, so I do wonder how it often does happen to turn out this way.

Can only see this through an ennea lens, in which an E4 would be attracted to the kind of Fi mentioned above.
But, if anything, I have also seen that some of the most avoidant of 'jarring' expressions of 'authenticity' can also be Fi-dom. So is it really that universal? Some Fis can nod their heads at the latter. I'm not as sure of how Fe works, seems more flexible / less particular.

Agree that's more of a 4 thing, i'm a 9. I happened to find that second clip really touching and i thought the music was beautiful. . I'll do an Fe video, i'm doing clips of all the functions:) So far, i'v done, Ni, Te, Fi, Se.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard Fe described as cold. Adaptive, useful, mirroring others, but not necessarily feeling it. But CAN.. It sounds as if it has an agenda. But there's a genuine warmth too, somehow. I'm guilty of being colder on the inside than outside, using it as a tool, but it's definitely not always the case.

Fi is very genuine, authentic, warm, but might be more ignorant of those around them overwhelmed in their own feelings? Eh, Don't know exactly.

But then there's values.

Fi internal values

Fe external values?

How? What even are those "values"? Me for example I have values mostly backed by logic(Or is it Ethics?) but they still have some emotional weight to them. Even though I don't have many values. Just a few (I hate murderers, sadists, abusers, and deem them like scum - but I imagine that's normal). Most are a blur and I'm still trying to figure out.

Fe can also group up others for better or worse. Including them as all bad not to look any deeper into their own "past pains" and crap that caused them to become who they are. Te is efficient. Efficiency is also a strong focus to me.

Fi might be more into looking into the internal causes of others and why they did what they did and have more hope?

I don't know. I discussed this type of talk with an INTJ friend of mine and these were points brought up.

ALSO

Values =/= Ethics, but often blur together

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Agree that's more of a 4 thing, i'm a 9. I happened to find that second clip really touching and i thought the music was beautiful. . I'll do an Fe video, i'm doing clips of all the functions:) So far, i'v done, Ni, Te, Fi, Se.

Funny, I was thinking about a Fi that would very particularly relate to the second video, and thought of an E9 first.
Bottomline, the video post is not a hard rule and not particularly distinguishing of Fi vs Fe.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Typical example when you put prefer Fi(Feelings) and person who prefer Fe(EQ) in one room. Attention anything else is utterly false and you just lie yourself.

Note .This is not professional looking only how they're dealing with their friends

Fi - is your authenticate friend, an individualist who want to shock you by his appearance or style in conversation, can be kind to others but that is another group of people.
Fe - is just nice with you and with that person in street he doesn't know, even he/she doesn't feel good about something Fe won't express because it doesn't value feelings but atmosphere of group
Fi - continue TO BE HIMSELF because he sees Fe as good about but in reality it if false. Fe is just nice to you.
Fe - then Fe try to copy you because he/she assume if he/she is copping you would see it as attack on you
Fi - doesn't see that. Fi sees Fe as authentically and try to shake ground and move boundaries of society standards even further to impress his/her Fe fellow. Fi begins to love his Fe because he/she becomes to believe he found his soulmate.
Fe - is fed up with Fi. Fe start to talk to everybody every shit about Fi, degrade him/her like he is a murderess beast only because he/she value EQ and he/she value feelings just because he/she don't tell him STOP IT. I DON'T LIKE IT.

Because of tthat there is a very high chance of clashing these types...
NTJ VS SFJ
NFJ VS STJ

NTP VS SFP
STP VS NFP

:shrug:

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Typical example when you put prefer Fi(Feelings) and person who prefer Fe(EQ) in one room. Attention anything else is utterly false and you just lie yourself.

Note .This is not professional looking only how they're dealing with their friends

Fi - is your authenticate friend, an individualist who want to shock you by his appearance or style in conversation, can be kind to others but that is another group of people.
Fe - is just nice with you and with that person in street he doesn't know, even he/she doesn't feel good about something Fe won't express because it doesn't value feelings but atmosphere of group
Fi - continue TO BE HIMSELF because he sees Fe as good about but in reality it if false. Fe is just nice to you.
Fe - then Fe try to copy you because he/she assume if he/she is copping you would see it as attack on you
Fi - doesn't see that. Fi sees Fe as authentically and try to shake ground and move boundaries of society standards even further to impress his/her Fe fellow. Fi begins to love his Fe because he/she becomes to believe he found his soulmate.
Fe - is fed up with Fi. Fe start to talk to everybody every shit about Fi, degrade him/her like he is a murderess beast only because he/she value EQ and he/she value feelings just because he/she don't tell him STOP IT. I DON'T LIKE IT.

Because of tthat there is a very high chance of clashing these types...
NTJ VS SFJ
NFJ VS STJ

NTP VS SFP
STP VS NFP

:shrug:

Come on norexan ... always so extreme .
As inferior Fe i just seek justice ( even above me ) and emphaty ( my Fi which i get higher in almost any internet shitty test is just focusing in my self improving as individual ). I believe in freedom as hayek said:
“A society that does not recognize that each individual has values of his own which he is entitled to follow can have no respect for the dignity of the individual and cannot really know freedom.”

All what you are saying , It's just a mbti sterotype but the real problem is the poor education global wise.
Societies that appreciate collectivism instead individualism are destined for mediocrity.

pd: Blame left wing politians ( not the people ) for that world.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Come on norexan ... always so extreme .

It isn't extreme. We're what we project to others. So every time you judge others you're judging yourself.

It isn't Fe users doesn't have individuality but they don't value individuality otherwise they won't whinny how the world hate them while actuality many of people love them. And only reason why some people don't love them it is not because of themselves but because they want to be someone else, they want to mimic someone's else individuality so they can fit in the group. This can be hard tasks for IxTPs. This self-sacrificial logic is cummon for all Fe users when they love somebody. Because they believe if they're closer to you, be like you, you will love them and they like when people love them but truth is you don't need to be someone else so people love you. Only what is necessary it to be you and right people will find you. :)

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
And comical. ;)

What is better way to say hard truth then if you turn on little light inside? Now, I get it why ENTJs are excellent stand-up comedians. Critical and humorist unlike INTJ who are critical and cynical. :)

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fe - attitude, principle
Fi - feelings, values