• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Biggest differnce between ESFJ and ENFJ

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Si would look to what has been done in the past (conventional wisdoms) and consider that their template for the future. Ni delves into the past but more for data points to add to their other data points, to create their own plan for the future.

Also a nice pair of terms for Ni versus Si is "refresh" versus "rehash". Even when Ni looks at the past, it has a tendency to look at the past with fresh eyes, seeing it differently than they saw it last time, often moving away from what actually happened.

Jaguar

My sister is an ESFJ and one of my best friends is an ENFJ. They're both 2w3 and I'm wondering the biggest differences between those two MBTI types.

Grab yourself a copy of Let's Split The Difference: Your Guide to Clarifying the Differences Between Similar Types by Susan Nash. PP. 120-123 distinguishes ESFJ from ENFJ. That way you won't have to read the nonsense in this thread and you'll actually learn something in the process.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My sister is an ESFJ and one of my best friends is an ENFJ. They're both 2w3 and I'm wondering the biggest differences between those two MBTI types.

It just occurred to me that I have worked fairly closely with both an ENFJ and two iSFJ's. Of the iSFJ's, one admits she's close on the E/I border, but self identifies as ISFJ; personally I would have thought ESFJ, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt; I can certainly see the potential of Si dom in her. With the other, mbti never came up, and honestly I could see either Si or Fe dom in her; it's a close call. So you'll have to factor that into what I say here.

I've observed and interacted with all three, all being in the same role, and one can see the differences in action.

I also work in a more high-stress environment, in terms of in-the-moment decision making needs. Both of the SFJ's tend to crumble more quickly -- get more stressed, visibly -- when the environment demands rapid shifts or quick decisions. The ENFJ doesn't become stressed in nearly the same way - is more readily able to adapt and adjust on the fly and stress isn't apparent, aside from perhaps becoming more directive. iow, the SFJ's become noticeably frazzled, and having to quickly adapt is not their natural skill set; the ENFJ is better able to do that.

I guess I tend to view NJ's as being kind of 'middling' in terms of typical 'J' traits -- they're not as stereotypically 'J' as SJ's. In terms of ability to adapt/flex without quickly crumbling or having a meltdown -- in a really hands-on environment, at least -- I'd say it goes SP > NP = NJ > SJ.

-----------

Otherwise, the SFJ's on a personal non-stress/work level seem just generally more desirous of stability, with very specific life goals and metrics in mind; very specific plans they have or life goals they want to reach; the ENFJ doesn't speak of any of this - any goals are much more generalized, there isn't a checklist with bullet points to be met (the SFJ's in that sense seem to have more ... specific 'demands' of themselves and others? Vs more abstract goals/frameworks).

Of course every individual will differ slightly; not saying all ENFJ's or SFJ's are this way. And I'm obviously just covering a few facets.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moved all the in-thread bickering/roomba assault threats to off-topic posts. Everyone remember to be respectful of both other members and household appliances.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Even if type runs in families, you could still be an INFJ and your sister an ESFJ.

I skimmed through your posts and you don't sound like an INFJ though.

Why don't you think I'm an INFJ? I've scored as that on three different tests!
By the way, no one has the exact same genetic make-up as their siblings unless they are identical twins. Even then, the traits don't necessarily manifest themselves the same way. There is no proof that people in families tend to have the same types. It certainly isn't true in mine, my father's, or my mother's.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Legion,
You think you know my family and I better than we know ourselves, which is absurd.
My mom scored as an ISFJ on the test and my dad is either INTP or ISTP.