• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Being an Encourager to an INTJ

INTerran

The INTJ I’m seeing is facing a challenging career change and has to go on job interviews, which he has not had to do for several years. He is not an optimistic person and has expressed doubts and worry. He is skilled in his industry, and I really don’t think he will have much difficulty finding a good job. He trusts me with his concerns and feelings, and I do not take this lightly at all. So I want to be a source of positivity and encouragement to him right now. But I don’t want to overdo it or come off as insincere. How can I walk this line and be there for him?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
With my INTJ friends irl, I know they appreciate that kind of directness, I let them know I don't think they'll need my help, but they've got my support however I can provide. Then I just sort of leave it at that till theyre ready to talk, otherwise, if I see they're stressed, I might be a silent partner in a personal project they're working on, basically just be there, so they have something to focus on or talk about other than whats bothering them, or whats bothering them, but it's their time and choosing when to discuss. One likes to do outdoorsy stuff, the other, likes a sounding board. I reckon theres no one right way. But ime gently patiently direct, "I'm here however you need when. To the best of my ability." Often works well.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just let them talk it out and leave it at that unless they bring it up again. Sometimes I will act as a brainstorming partner to flush out ideas, motivations, issues. Specifically, I will draw parallels to past experiences, conversations, ideas they have told me about to get them to see patterns and future implications (Ni) and to dig deeper within themselves (tertiary Fi) and given time, their Te gets activated. However, it should be on their own time table or else that is when it comes off as pushy... that's key. If you can relate your encouragement back to your past interactions and make a plausible conclusion based off that, then the encouragement seems to get better received. In addition to the encouragement, be willing to give constructive criticism (with specific data points) so it comes off as balanced as opposed to lopsided optimism.

YMMV but that seems to work well with my INTJ friends.

You have his trust? He confides in you? Be yourself. It’s already led him to open up to you so it’s obviously already a source of strength for him. Don’t try to make him feel better using methods that you aren’t comfortable with. You’ll project uneasiness and it’ll undermine your efforts. You have confidence in his skills and experience. Reinforce that. He probably knows he’s capable, he just needs to hear it from a person he trusts.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have his trust? He confides in you? Be yourself. It’s already led him to open up to you so it’s obviously already a source of strength for him. Don’t try to make him feel better using methods that you aren’t comfortable with. You’ll project uneasiness and it’ll undermine your efforts. You have confidence in his skills and experience. Reinforce that. He probably knows he’s capable, he just needs to hear it from a person he trusts.

I agree with this, particularly the bolded. We can be surprisingly insecure about our abilities at times. Many of us have deep rooted fear of failure, which is what drives to sharpen our skills the way we do. If we trust you, we also respect you. Your vote of confidence means a lot, even if it does embarrass us a little.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
The INTJ I’m seeing is facing a challenging career change and has to go on job interviews, which he has not had to do for several years. He is not an optimistic person and has expressed doubts and worry. He is skilled in his industry, and I really don’t think he will have much difficulty finding a good job. He trusts me with his concerns and feelings, and I do not take this lightly at all. So I want to be a source of positivity and encouragement to him right now. But I don’t want to overdo it or come off as insincere. How can I walk this line and be there for him?
I can't speak for all INTJ's. But somebody would have to lay it on pretty GD thick before I thought they were overdoing it or being fake about it or something.

I and the INTJ's I know aren't very good at expressing emotions (and no, it's not an "unwillingness" like some nitwits say; it's like a different GD language to most of us) but we typically respond positively to warm, emotional encouragement directed at us. So I think you should be okay.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With my INTJ friends irl, I know they appreciate that kind of directness, I let them know I don't think they'll need my help, but they've got my support however I can provide. Then I just sort of leave it at that till theyre ready to talk, otherwise, if I see they're stressed, I might be a silent partner in a personal project they're working on, basically just be there, so they have something to focus on or talk about other than whats bothering them, or whats bothering them, but it's their time and choosing when to discuss. One likes to do outdoorsy stuff, the other, likes a sounding board. I reckon theres no one right way. But ime gently patiently direct, "I'm here however you need when. To the best of my ability." Often works well.
This.

I just let them talk it out and leave it at that unless they bring it up again. Sometimes I will act as a brainstorming partner to flush out ideas, motivations, issues. Specifically, I will draw parallels to past experiences, conversations, ideas they have told me about to get them to see patterns and future implications (Ni) and to dig deeper within themselves (tertiary Fi) and given time, their Te gets activated. However, it should be on their own time table or else that is when it comes off as pushy... that's key. If you can relate your encouragement back to your past interactions and make a plausible conclusion based off that, then the encouragement seems to get better received. In addition to the encouragement, be willing to give constructive criticism (with specific data points) so it comes off as balanced as opposed to lopsided optimism.
And this.

And this. At least these are the things that work with me.

Conventional advice and vague, cliched reassurances won't cut it. Let him know (i.e. state explicitly) that you care and want to be there for him. Above all, follow his lead, both on timing and topic. It seems you know him well and have his trust, so if you are getting concerned and he hasn't said much you can ask simply, "How is the job hunt going?". If he gives a brief or noncommittal answer, move on. Otherwise, he may take the opportunity to talk about it.

One thing I tend not to like is practical suggestions, because usually everything someone suggests, I have already thought of and either incorporated or dismissed for good cause. This leaves me in the position of having to explain/justify all that to the other person, which is incredibly frustrating especially if I am already stressed over it. I will ask if I need practical advice.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Everyone INTJ I've ever met thinks they're god's gift to humanity and the smartest person in the room anyway, so I find it interesting to read that he's expressing doubt in himself.

Just be positive without it coming off too over-the-top and/or contrived.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This.

And this.

And this. At least these are the things that work with me.

Conventional advice and vague, cliched reassurances won't cut it. Let him know (i.e. state explicitly) that you care and want to be there for him. Above all, follow his lead, both on timing and topic. It seems you know him well and have his trust, so if you are getting concerned and he hasn't said much you can ask simply, "How is the job hunt going?". If he gives a brief or noncommittal answer, move on. Otherwise, he may take the opportunity to talk about it.

One thing I tend not to like is practical suggestions, because usually everything someone suggests, I have already thought of and either incorporated or dismissed for good cause. This leaves me in the position of having to explain/justify all that to the other person, which is incredibly frustrating especially if I am already stressed over it. I will ask if I need practical advice.

We have a an agreement that no justifications are sought nor asked for. It's whatever moves forward towards a workable solution. We get downright rediculous sometimes in the ways but we get there. It's never boring.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone INTJ I've ever met thinks they're god's gift to humanity and the smartest person in the room anyway, so I find it interesting to read that he's expressing doubt in himself.

Just be positive without it coming off too over-the-top and/or contrived.
Take it from one that we are often thinking/feeling just the opposite. Even if we are the smartest person in the room (and I've been there), we know: (1) other qualities can be just as important, qualities we often lack; and (2) being smart doesn't make us infallible or incapable of error or poor judgment. I'm sure you know how critical we can be. Most of us view ourselves even more critically, if only because we are intimately familiar with all the flaws and shortcomings that might not be obvious (i.e. that we do our best to conceal) to others. How does it feel to be on the receiving end of an INTJ's blunt and unbridled criticism? Magnify that a few times, and that's how we can feel when we review all the things we don't know, can't do, and might mess up, especially in an important situation like a job interview. We may look confident, but that's because we hide all of those insecurities, too. If an INTJ is sharing it with you instead, you have their trust and respect.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You’ve really done all of the work you need to do already: your friend trusts you with deep thoughts and snippets.

Keep being yourself and allow them to approach you as needed.

I’ve done my best work for my INTJ friends by being a good listener, not breaking their trust, and providing a mirror up to show them a reality less skewed when they have moments of warped perception. Sometimes I feel a bit like a human whiteboard for them to work out the issues primarily on their own, or with a semblance of being on their own. Later I always get the quiet thank you.