• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing vs Feeling

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
a question for sensors from an intuitive feeler ..
so I know that things have to make sense/ be logical/ based on data for you priority one. when making decisions how come the way it makes you feel not factor into that decision making? Or does it factor in at a much lower ranking.
Also is it the fact that intuitive feelers work from gut feelings that makes us seem inconsistent and flakey? Because we are able to change directions very quickly does that create a sense of turbulence?
Also why is it that strong emotion usually so hard for you to process (and why does it need processing are you making it into data? ) And does it frustrate you how quickly we process emotions?

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) so I know that things have to make sense/ be logical/ based on data for you priority one. when making decisions how come the way it makes you feel not factor into that decision making? Or does it factor in at a much lower ranking.
2) Also is it the fact that intuitive feelers work from gut feelings that makes us seem inconsistent and flakey? Because we are able to change directions very quickly does that create a sense of turbulence?
3) Also why is it that strong emotion usually so hard for you to process (4)and why does it need processing are you making it into data? ) 5) And does it frustrate you how quickly we process emotions?

1) I don't really tend to care how it makes me feel. I just don't really care. Of course I have a strong set of morals but I'm not driven by how I feel.

2) I don't know what you're talking about here. I actually love NFPs. I know mature ones aren't flakey at all. Immature members of any type have problems.

3) It isn't. I understand emotion just fine.

4) Emotions don't really factor into my decision making process but I do enjoy a good emotional atmosphere. I don't understand what you mean by 'processing.'

5)Not really.

Are you aware that SFPs exist?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
so I know that things have to make sense/ be logical/ based on data for you priority one.
Incorrect. That is more of a T preference thing than anything.

Also is it the fact that intuitive feelers work from gut feelings that makes us seem inconsistent and flakey? Because we are able to change directions very quickly does that create a sense of turbulence?

Also incorrect. Maybe true for Ni users, but I'm not sure 'gut feelings' are a factor any more for Ne users than any other type.

Also why is it that strong emotion usually so hard for you to process (and why does it need processing are you making it into data? ) And does it frustrate you how quickly we process emotions? This also seems like a generalization.

Some helpful advice: if you start off a post with 'I know' and then this is how you interpret typology, you are going to get eaten alive on this forum. Where are you getting your information? Have you researched MBTI on more than one or two random websites? 86 posts in, I don't understand how this thread of yours exists.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
1) I don't really tend to care how it makes me feel. I just don't really care. Of course I have a strong set of morals but I'm not driven by how I feel. 2) I don't know what you're talking about here. I actually love NFPs. I know mature ones aren't flakey at all. Immature members of any type have problems. 3) It isn't. I understand emotion just fine. 4) Emotions don't really factor into my decision making process but I do enjoy a good emotional atmosphere. I don't understand what you mean by 'processing.' 5)Not really. Are you aware that SFPs exist?
I am which is why I said Intuitive feelers for sensors. I think sensors tend to have an abrupt matter of fact approach to a lot of scenarios , being a SFP must be interesting.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Some helpful advice: if you start off a post with 'I know' and then this is how you interpret typology, you are going to get eaten alive on this forum. Where are you getting your information? Have you researched MBTI on more than one or two random websites? 86 posts in, I don't understand how this thread of yours exists.
I am going to assume that you will be doing the eating tonight..
should I submit my resume for Mbti before I ask a question. Or just sit down and shut up to be schooled.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am going to assume that you will be doing the eating tonight..
should I submit my resume for Mbti before I ask a question. Or just sit down and shut up to be schooled.

My advice would be to go to the Wiki tab and learn all you can from that section. Maybe Google MBTI dichotomies and functions and see what you can find elsewhere as well. Hope that helps!:)

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
My advice would be to go to the Wiki tab and learn all you can from that section. Maybe Google MBTI dichotomies and functions and see what you can find elsewhere as well. Hope that helps!
Thanks Captain condescending!
I'll check cliff notes and MBTI for dummies too.
(School Bell rings)
have a great summer. :bye:

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am which is why I said Intuitive feelers for sensors. I think sensors tend to have an abrupt matter of fact approach to a lot of scenarios , being a SFP must be interesting.

Oh okay.

According to Socionics, judging functions are rational while perceiving ones are irrational. So this would mean that IxxPs and ExxJs are rational types while ExxPs and IxxJs would be irrational. But if you go by this, Si and Se doms are also irrational types.

As for matter of fact, that's a characteristic of STs in general. SFs aren't like that.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Oh okay. According to Socionics, judging functions are rational while perceiving ones are irrational. So this would mean that IxxPs and ExxJs are rational types while ExxPs and IxxJs would be irrational. But if you go by this, Si and Se doms are also irrational types. As for matter of fact, that's a characteristic of STs in general. SFs aren't like that.
^^
thank you, this was helpful.

Starry

It's weird because I notice I communicate this way as well. I'll say "so I know..." as a shorthand for "in my personal experience...every time I had an awareness of X...Y occurred." I never see it as something official as I don't consider myself to be one nor would I ever imagine anyone thinking I am or thinking I think I am. This is what happens I suppose in the world of individual realities.

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
OP are you sure you aren't talking about Thinking? Sensing being a Perceiving function, it is not used to make decisions.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
It's weird because I notice I communicate this way as well. I'll say "so I know..." as a shorthand for "in my personal experience...every time I had an awareness of X...Y occurred." I never see it as something official as I don't consider myself to be one nor would I ever imagine anyone thinking I am or thinking I think I am. This is what happens I suppose in the world of individual realities.
SS I can only say #ditto . It really is my short hand for my personal experience. I would never assume to know everything or have all the answers.
It's like I met a shaman healer today and he gave a physical example of how his mind works and there were people there who were totally thrown off but I thought yep that makes sense and we had such expansive /interesting random/non-judging conversations, it was cleansing.
putting thoughts into patterns that make "logical" sense , takes time and thought and when J's come in slamming demanding back up and proof of anything it makes me FEEL like woaaahhhh wait I'm trying to understand and process give me a second don't make me feel all loopy and random which is maybe what it is but it does makes sense.

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

My interpretation of what the captain said (that's what you are talking about, right?) is that "I know" implies that what follows is factual, not so much "official." And it's not clear that the OP was talking about personal experience; to me it appears to have been intended as a "fact" of typology, something inherent to the type categories.

Starry

My interpretation of what the captain said (that's what you are talking about, right?) is that "I know" implies that what follows is factual, not so much "official." And it's not clear that the OP was talking about personal experience; to me it appears to have been intended as a "fact" of typology, something inherent to the type categories.

yah I got that...and was acknowledging the challenge. Someone that speaks in facts has the official word do they not? They are an official (not a factual).

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not at all. Everyone knows and can authoritatively state some number of facts.

Perhaps I should clarify that having the official word is not the same thing as being an official (which implies some sort of special authority or position). Anyone can get the official word on many things just by reading a book (without the position of an official).

Starry

Perhaps I should clarify that having the official word is not the same thing as being an official (which implies some sort of special authority or position). Anyone can get the official word on many things just by reading a book (without the position of an official).

What would the world do without INTPs to set everyone straight on things that don't really matter? I stand corrected I think. Thanks.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
a question for sensors from an intuitive feeler .. so I know that things have to make sense/ be logical/ based on data for you priority one. when making decisions how come the way it makes you feel not factor into that decision making? Or does it factor in at a much lower ranking. Also is it the fact that intuitive feelers work from gut feelings that makes us seem inconsistent and flakey? Because we are able to change directions very quickly does that create a sense of turbulence? Also why is it that strong emotion usually so hard for you to process (and why does it need processing are you making it into data? ) And does it frustrate you how quickly we process emotions?

I dont understand any of this as it applies to me as a sensor. Wish i could help more.

My 2 cents...feelings are part of the big picture...it comes into play dependent on strength of feeling. Weak feelings dont mean much but they are still registered, stronger feelings mean more. I DO NOT strictly use feelings for anything unless my body hits self protection mode and at that point i CANNOT control it. It controls me...i do not hit that point very much as i dont allow myself to get there a whole lot.
Sensing has nothing to do with logic...its perception which may or may not be logical. If a perciever places a high value on logical they will shoot for logical, if they dont they wont. Due to the high value on logical they lack alot of logic skills as logical and logic are two completely different things in action. Logical aims for a path, logic is a mere set of if/then/else. The difference is that logical puts data first, logic puts itself first. Data flows through logic...logical is about trying to flow logic through the data.

I am the most laid back active person just about ever. I fan change on plans at the flick of the wrist with no issues. My only sticking point is high priority...i will not veer away from high priority...i may switch gears, take a different path...but i am still heading toward the priority.

I can process strong emotions fine...i just let it flow. Best i can describe it is walking through a swamp inside observing and experiencing.

I really dont understand what you deem "sensor" much. My sensing side is what causes me to run as opposed to hunker down inside. Its what gets me to say screw logic, "just do it" for experience.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OP are you sure you aren't talking about Thinking? Sensing being a Perceiving function, it is not used to make decisions.
Alot of introverted perceptive people put a false priority on "logical" confusing it with "thinkers". Thinking uses logic, but logical IS NOT the priority as much as creating the logic paths.