• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cat on Dog: Same type relationships, yay or nay?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just wondering what the general or overall opinions on same...s..types are like?

I was mostly just asking because it's not all that commonly talked about and I think almost everyone expects or only talks about the compatibility of two different types altogether, but never the same ones. Obviously since SJ's are considered to be the most commonly prevalent types, it would seem to me the that perhaps there are many of the same SJ types together, but then never for any others? I get this feeling that maybe to a lot of people it's though of as this 'gross' and 'icky' area that not many like to touch on or even think about, but I've noticed lately that I actually like INFP women and find that I quite enjoy their company. It was sort of unexpected for me since we are the same type, but I find some of them attractive. I feel sometimes like the dynamic between genders are enough to really warrant differences.

Anyway, I mostly have read that it's not advisable, or left kind of vague and neutral; but I remember one article that stood out to me about how it could actually be a very fulfilling and satisfying relationships because the two INFPs would generally find what they want most in their respective partners. I guess I just like that feeling or sense of their being no jagged conflict or adversity and having a deep understanding of one another....(but of course, not being completely the same, no one is)

Isn't that sometimes how it goes?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have also read that it isn't advisable but I don't think I agree with that. Even though you would share the same theoretical weaknesses, I think having a deep understanding of each other would help balance that out. I think compatibility is more complex than just finding a good MBTI type match. My husband and I are both Fi-doms and it has been a great match for us. Yes there are some weaknesses like we aren't super social and we can be a bit disorganized and forgetful but having that connection and understanding is totally worth it for us. I think maybe the risk is if you don't ever challenge each other to grow but I think that is a choice you can make in your life no matter what type your partner is.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have also read that it isn't advisable but I don't think I agree with that. Even though you would share the same theoretical weaknesses, I think having a deep understanding of each other would help balance that out. I think compatibility is more complex than just finding a good MBTI type match. My husband and I are both Fi-doms and it has been a great match for us. Yes there are some weaknesses like we aren't super social and we can be a bit disorganized and forgetful but having that connection and understanding is totally worth it for us. I think maybe the risk is if you don't ever challenge each other to grow but I think that is a choice you can make in your life no matter what type your partner is.
Yeah but "challenge each other" to what extent and what reason? I've read that it's actually better to work on your strengths then always trying to cover up for your weakness, of course for obvious reasons you'' just achieve mediocrity.
Also in regards to balancing or weakness and strengths, by what measure or or standard is that being applied from?

Because above all, one must be practical and pragmatic, correct? that is our cultural ideal and we must always take people down a peg who get too lofty in their thoughts or actions for their own good.

At least, that's almost how it seems to me.

Practical people are practical yes, but for all other things there's degrees of difference's.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I MEAN, NOT THAT THERES ANYTHING WRONG WITH LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO MAKES UP FOR YOUR WEAK POINTS, BUT COME ON IS THAT LOVE!??? IS THAT IT!?!??? that's lame.

But yeah, I guess it dose go beyond MBTI sort of and I think people use labels like this to define themselves or stop self development all too much. (but I think people are okay being themselves as well, no one is perfect)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's no secret that I'm a slut for ISTJs.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I MEAN, NOT THAT THERES ANYTHING WRONG WITH LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO MAKES UP FOR YOUR WEAK POINTS, BUT COME ON IS THAT LOVE!??? IS THAT IT!?!??? that's lame.

But yeah, I guess it dose go beyond MBTI sort of and I think people use labels like this to define themselves or stop self development all too much. (but I think people are okay being themselves as well, no one is perfect)

Even people within the same type are very different so everyone is going to bring different things to the table anyway. I think in a long-term relationship/family situation it can be helpful if someone in the relationship has certain strengths but I agree that is not enough of a basis for love.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even people within the same type are very different so everyone is going to bring different things to the table anyway. I think in a long-term relationship/family situation it can be helpful if someone in the relationship has certain strengths but I agree that is not enough of a basis for love.

Well it's just that, no offense to anyone but I think function wise we can kind of be at odds with the world, and I don't know if many other types really desire or care for finding genuine love and romance. Everyone sort of just wants whatever "works" and is the most practical and easy coming fit. I know that's why especially why INFP's everyone think they need to be reprimanded or reminded of how their differences are just vague and obviously faults that they should be ashamed of all the time, but I really wonder if it's always the case and simply maybe cultural norms and expectations that aren't always that forthcoming or desired and preferred.

I mean especially function wise, I see most other people relating, but then we just rub against the grain far too much or something, and I can't help but think that every other side is considered a balancing plank, or has conventional strong suits and recognize traits that are seen as being desirable or useful in a romantic relationship, but with INFPs were not really useful to anyone. Especially if you're a man, though perhaps in regards to being a women it's a lot easier to fall into more traditional gender roles and the like.

I mean I've talked to T-women about what they like
"Oh, TOO SENSITIVE, SORRY INFP (though some say they like us, "SENSITIVE MEN")

A lot of SJ's it's probably "TOO DISORGANIZED, NOT PRACTICAL, NOT TRADITIONALLY MANLY ENOUGH"

And then there's the whole Fe sabbatical, and sorry but we can just seriously clash; same if you are not extroverted enough. A lot of people still don't really understand or can understand introverts.

I almost think that just being an INFP male really puts you into an out place. Men are supposed to be the thinking, judging, extroverted and maybe even practical types. INFP males are like the complete opposite of that, and it sort of makes the whole gender relating work in a completely different way.

And that's the thing too, I'm not a woman and I don't like people telling me how I feel think or trying to give me advice on how I should live my life and things like that. I don't want to always be reminded that I'm not practical enough when it's because I just don't care most of the time and choose to not be.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think I have cultivated a relationship with any other ENFPs, be it platonic or romantic. The few people who I think that may be ENFPs are very draining to me, as they resemble the "lol so randumb" stereotype. Now if we are talking enneagram, something I am still new to but very fascinated by, I haven't met any other 2w3s in real life. In theory, they would be awesome to be around though.

Just a thought, but I don't think NFs do well with each other. I can tolerate ENFJs in one on one scenarios (not so much in social situations though), but pretty much every INFJ I know is extremely sensitive and hard to deal with and most INFPs I talk to are always some level of 'trying too hard'. I understand that the few I know in real life don't represent all of the people of that type, but it is still an observation. Then again, this could be partly because my inner circle is filled with entirely thinking types aside from me.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think I have cultivated a relationship with any other ENFPs, be it platonic or romantic. The few people who I think that may be ENFPs are very draining to me, as they resemble the "lol so randumb" stereotype. Now if we are talking enneagram, something I am still new to but very fascinated by, I haven't met any other 2w3s in real life. In theory, they would be awesome to be around though.

Just a thought, but I don't think NFs do well with each other. I can tolerate ENFJs in one on one scenarios (not so much in social situations though), but pretty much every INFJ I know is extremely sensitive and hard to deal with and most INFPs I talk to are always some level of 'trying too hard'. I understand that the few I know in real life don't represent all of the people of that type, but it is still an observation. Then again, this could be partly because my inner circle is filled with entirely thinking types aside from me.

Well that's probably a bit of a personal preference or the kinds of traits that you admire and personally respect the most.

But yeah, I have had weird experiences with other NF's. I guess I am just so not used to knowing other NF's that when I find them it's so startling and surprising it can be hard to get used to, but I don't know if I'd say it's a bad thing. But yes, with some of them the emotionality and some of the metaphysical stuff can be a bit much, but I don't know if I would say I don't get along with them.

I guess it's not really all that much to do with type functions (but in my last post I was just speaking strictly on that level) but...it almost just seems like on some level, certain people are either compatible or they are not, and it's hard to really pin-point what it is.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well it's just that, no offense to anyone but I think function wise we can kind of be at odds with the world, and I don't know if many other types really desire or care for finding genuine love and romance. Everyone sort of just wants whatever "works" and is the most practical and easy coming fit. I know that's why especially why INFP's everyone think they need to be reprimanded or reminded of how their differences are just vague and obviously faults that they should be ashamed of all the time, but I really wonder if it's always the case and simply maybe cultural norms and expectations that aren't always that forthcoming or desired and preferred.

I mean especially function wise, I see most other people relating, but then we just rub against the grain far too much or something, and I can't help but think that every other side is considered a balancing plank, or has conventional strong suits and recognize traits that are seen as being desirable or useful in a romantic relationship, but with INFPs were not really useful to anyone. Especially if you're a man, though perhaps in regards to being a women it's a lot easier to fall into more traditional gender roles and the like.

I mean I've talked to T-women about what they like
"Oh, TOO SENSITIVE, SORRY INFP (though some say they like us, "SENSITIVE MEN")

A lot of SJ's it's probably "TOO DISORGANIZED, NOT PRACTICAL, NOT TRADITIONALLY MANLY ENOUGH"

And then there's the whole Fe sabbatical, and sorry but we can just seriously clash; same if you are not extroverted enough. A lot of people still don't really understand or can understand introverts.

I almost think that just being an INFP male really puts you into an out place. Men are supposed to be the thinking, judging, extroverted and maybe even practical types. INFP males are like the complete opposite of that, and it sort of makes the whole gender relating work in a completely different way.

And that's the thing too, I'm not a woman and I don't like people telling me how I feel think or trying to give me advice on how I should live my life and things like that. I don't want to always be reminded that I'm not practical enough when it's because I just don't care most of the time and choose to not be.

I have a lot of respect for INFP males. Even as a woman it is difficult being so "sensitive" and I have been ridiculed many times. I would recommend SFPs as potential partners. They understand and respect Fi feelings and add adventure to your life. The only downside is you might end up being the more responsible one in the relationship :)

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp

Interesting observation. I think I dated an INFP once and it was rather torturous but he was also very unhealthy. I don't actually know a lot of NFs in real life so I'm not sure how I mesh with them. Most of the people in my life seem to be SF or NT.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a lot of respect for INFP males. Even as a woman it is difficult being so "sensitive" and I have been ridiculed many times. I would recommend SFPs as potential partners. They understand and respect Fi feelings and add adventure to your life. The only downside is you might end up being the more responsible one in the relationship :)

Well yes, I imagine some people respect us, but I just don't think it's all that very well known or acknowledged about that commonly.

I guess it really depends on a lot of things, though. I think I'm a pretty normal male, but I suppose underneath it's like, I don't know, I am not a chauvinistic male full of over-assertive bravado, and often I find that seems to tick people as somehow being wrong? The lack of
reciprocation seems to in many circles be taken quickly as a sign of weakness. It's really silly. I am capable of more traditional male pursuits or acting in that fashion, but I just don't care for it.

As with SP's, I am not really sure. I have liked some of them, but I find they at times can be draining, too.

What does it even mean to have "partner" serious relationship and the like? it's funny.

:/

I sort of like some ISTP females, and have some good experiences with them. I like non-traditional women who are a bit tom-boyish as well. I guess I think there is something oddly charming and cute about their personalities, but some of them have ravaged me. I find I clash a lot with some more traditional sensor women for some reason and they always get mad at me or think that I am horrendously disturbed. I think that maybe ones that are worldly or well cultured may be more compatible though, but I am not sure.

I love Paige

It makes me wonder if maybe an Xstp woman would be ideal for me, it makes me wonder.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dis is my favorite luff song :wubbie:

Well, if it is that much of a love song. I feel like it's not only in that regards even though obviously it's somewhat romantic.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But hey, I know love doesn't really exist. I know everyone has that person who they think is their "one" and then they break up eventually and they can never love as deeply because the wool as officially been taken off their eyes and eventually I guess you go and get your prerequisite marriage partner, to which eventually will turn into a loveless relationship and you will inevitably divorce and if you are lucky or rich enough, find somebody young and hot and never give the idea of love a second thought.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I have enough chemistry with them, I will date anyone lol.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess in this really weird way, I think I have this longing for a certain kind of relationship that I didn't know what was actually something I wanted romantically as well, and deep down there's a part of me that feels...that I really desire that more then anything. I don't know what it was, but when I've briefly experienced, I realized how much It means. I don't know why that is.

I realized it's not just any relationship, but this sense of having a really deep understanding and connection with somebody that I would not be able to find hardly anywhere else. I long for that more then anything else I think, and it feels more gratifying then I could ever explain.

free electron

MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
5w6
As much as I like MBTI stuffs and think it's fun, I would never let it dictate my love life!
I mean are there really people who do that? Like "oh oops sorry wrong person, yeah I know we had a great time together but now I've realized you were an ENTJ and I don't know how to put it but, you and I it will never work. So adiooos!" :shock:

But to answer your question, I really would give a damn if I the person I was dating was the same type as me.