• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ and INTP romance pairing

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Coriolis do you think the best pairing for INTP is INTJ?
No, but I suspect it is far from the worst. I'm not sure there is a "best'. I appreciate that my partner is someone I can actually talk with, and that our relationship is relatively low drama. It would probably be harder, though not impossible, to find that with many of the other types.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I don't like the idea of INTJ and INTP romance pairing. The relationship always struck me as friends. INTJ and INTP have the same sterotype which is the researcher type. I like the idea of contrasting personality. I like INTJ and ENTP better. ENTP are pranksters who contrasts INTJ.

D'Ascoyne

I don't like the idea of INTJ and INTP romance pairing. The relationship always struck me as friends. INTJ and INTP have the same sterotype which is the researcher type. I like the idea of contrasting personality. I like INTJ and ENTP better. ENTP are pranksters who contrasts INTJ.

I know an INTP-INTJ friendship pairing: INTP female, INTJ male. The INTP (my friend) has told me she noodled with the idea of, "What about INTJ as a potential romantic partner?" but never felt it beyond the theoretical possibility. She finds him objectively attractive but even after all this time (both single right now) she doesn't feel their emotional connection has deepened any.

Taratango

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
My first crush was on an INTJ (it was pretty light and didn't last long), I ended up falling hard for an ENFJ guy.
I'm in a deep relationship with that ENFJ guy now and going strong :) I think I personally prefer someone who balances me out.

I see INTJs more suitable to be my friends or professional partners, rather than a romance partner (at least, out of the ones I know).

It's probably because I'm not emotional or romantic at all, so I need so I need someone that has those qualities to drag it out of me and make me feel it. If they are just as reluctant as me (like many INTJs I know tend to be), nothing will ever happen.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see INTJs more suitable to be my friends or professional partners, rather than a romance partner (at least, out of the ones I know).

It's probably because I'm not emotional or romantic at all, so I need so I need someone that has those qualities to drag it out of me and make me feel it. If they are just as reluctant as me (like many INTJs I know tend to be), nothing will ever happen.
My INTP is more romantic than I am. We did start out as colleagues, then friends. I have found that to be the best way.

Taratango

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
My INTP is more romantic than I am. We did start out as colleagues, then friends. I have found that to be the best way.

I see. Yea, everyone's dynamic with others is different.
I guess I was just speaking on behalf of the ones I have personally met xD

INTerran

I'm INTP, currently seeing an INTJ. We are really laid back with each other. He and I have a very similar sarcastic sense of humor. Also the same tastes in movies, music, books, games, etc. so we never seem to run out of things to talk about or do/watch when we spend time together.

On a slightly atypical note with regard to INTJs, during the week we more often than not end our nights talking with each other via text...long, extended conversations and good night wishes. I don't think he has a romantic bone in his body, but he shows that he cares through offering suggestions and solutions for my problems, helping out when I need him, and making me feel better when I'm having a rough day.

It took me a while to understand his ways and stop overthinking every little thing. I think I frustrated a few forum members with my analysis paralysis. I frustrated myself because I was figuring out myselfand my type while going through the AP over him. Finally feel as I got it together and can just sit back and enjoy being with Mr. INTJ and letting what will be just be. I'm following his lead and having a good time while doing it.
So I happen to really like the INTP-INTJ dynamic. Really drama free. Laid back. Intellectual and stimulating. Perfect for me, and him.

peter pettishrooms

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Overall in terms of stereotypical MBTI characteristics, I'm going against the norm by saying that this was a pretty good pairing (but then again, I'm not one to base my relationship goals and love interests off of type whatsoever). What I like about the INTP was that he was easy to talk to - I could talk to him about literally anything, even topics of nonsense, and we would turn it into something deep, interesting, and/or a legit idea in the works. Also both being introverts, we understood each other's need for time and space alone to think, so there was no pressure to respond quickly to a text. There was an eagerness to share each other's interests and thoughts on particular subjects, it was fascinating to dig deeper into each other's minds. The biggest hurdle you'll both have to face though is initiating some type of friendship and going through the first stages of getting to know each other. INTJs and INTPs can both be socially awkward and not know how to start a conversation with each other but once the ice is broken, these two can have loads of potential.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my experiences have led me to believe that it has the potential to be a strong pairing, but i think that mbti is a lacklustre method of discerning possible compatibility... i think it has more use in diagnosis of potential causes/resolutions of conflict... even when it points the wrong direction, having another lens to examine your world from is a help...

the best part of intj's is that they will hear out your reasoning and change their mind if you are convincing... i think most intp's share that trait, so as long as both parties are able to maintain a sense of fairness and a dedication to remaining together, most any problem can be solved... anyhow, that is how i think of the pairing...

baccheion

It would make sense that an INTP would be interested in INTJs (or some other judger), as INTPs tend to have issues getting themselves to do things. If they can find a compatible INTJ, then it could work out for that reason (and is helped by INTJs being thinkers rather than feelers).

According to a poll in the INTP Facebook group, INTJs are the highest rated partners (more good relationships than bad). According to a relationship survey, INTPs rank second for INTJs (INTJs were number 1) and INTJs rank 6th for INTPs (behind INFJ, INFP, ENFJ, ENFP, and ENTP).

On the other hand, in my experience, the J in INTJ (or any other judger) gets on my nerves, and once I experienced a life without it, I realized I never wanted to go back. That is, the only judgers I can be around are INFJs.

Also, I usually start thinking I'm in the twilight zone when around INTJs (and other Ni users), as they make accusations and statements that come out of nowhere and that make no sense. And the dumber it would sound, the more they'd think they were right. It seems they're explicitly about ordering others around, thinking themselves better than everyone, and being arrogant, dismissive, and insulting. When around anyone that leaves this not being possible, it's almost as though they start trying to twist everything around to put it all back in play, as though everyone is stupid and they're the only ones that know what they're doing. It seems they are obsessed with seeing everyone as stupid and with thinking they're the only ones that know what they are doing.

Also, it seems everything has to be spelt out for them, they are always convinced they are right, and are always trying to force their way.