• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

HELP ME. (male INTJ/female ENFP, romantic)

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi. First post. ("An INTJ asking for help from other people? It must be serious!")

The Background:
July 2014, I started dating an ENFP. I was captivated. She was so full of life and joy and hope that I couldn't help myself (the INTJs out there who have dated an ENFP can probably attest to this, as I suspect my experience isn't all that unique).

However, about three months or so in, work got incredibly busy (as it tends to do- we INTJs seem unnaturally- or perhaps naturally?- attracted to highly-demanding careers/studies), and I was in a state of high-focus mode; almost all of my energy was expended on getting through the task at hand. My ENFP felt that she was not getting the attention she craved/deserved, specifically (as she has mentioned) physical intimacy. There was a day when I didn't hear back from her- no texts, no calls returned, etc. It seemed fairly strange but not out of place- I figured she was tired. She had the day off, so I figured she was relaxing (because I was looking at it with my INTJ glasses).

She was not. She was getting drunk. And then sleeping with her neighbor.

I saw her the next day, and she was acting incredibly distant and unhappy- nigh suicidal, perhaps. I tried to find out what was going on but she wouldn't tell me. Three days later she tells me we have to talk, at which point she (to her credit, finally) confessed she cheated on me.

Which was devastating, understandably. You don't ever, ever betray an INTJ's trust, ever- and then especially you don't withhold it from them, not even for several days. Further complicating this was that the first serious relationship I had, a very similar experience occurred (my partner at the time had slept with someone else)- so this particular breach of trust is something that hurt perhaps even more than expected.

However, I decided this time, with this person, it was going to be different. I would give her a second chance. After all, we INTJs are (fancy ourselves as) the Ãœbermensch! We're above such silly things like grudges, and emotional ties! (I am, of course, speaking with sarcasm- but I'll be darned if we don't legitimately think this at times, at least in the quietest, most core voice we have in our minds).

The Present:

However, it's now roughly a year later. We've both grown a lot. But I feel that now we've reached a point where we need to evaluate where we currently are at, rather than where things were before. We need to see where we're headed.

And...

• She wants me to spend more time with her. I can't, I am physically unable to do this. We spend all our time together when we're not at work. I get about one night to myself every week. (ENFPs, pay close attention- a translation of this would be if you only got to spend one night interacting with someone a week. Otherwise, you would have no contact with people at all. This is roughly analogous to what only having one night to one's self a week feels like to an INTJ.)
  • She wants me to enjoy the things she enjoys. Not to join her in them- I do. Example: I hate hiking. I hate it an incredible amount. (I do love camping, though.) She loves it. She was dumbfounded and hurt deep to the core of her being that I went hiking with her when she would ask me to, but would not enjoy it. For comparison, despite my invitations to join me in the social functions I attend/volunteer at (tech-related conferences, mostly) that I take part in (and DO enjoy), she has yet to join me in a single one. (Sidenote: ENFPs, please stop dragging your INTJs to things you like doing if they don't like doing them. It's okay to have different interests.)
  • This past friday, she wanted to "talk". She brings up the above, after being snappy/moody with me for a week (fairly different from the kind and colourful ENFP she usually is). She seems to want to make this work, but perhaps doesn't understand what she's asking of me.
  • Because (I presume) I do not share the same type of emotional response that she does- she has, on more than one occasion, called me a "robot". She knows this hurts me, and shortly after apologizes- but it just brings more to light that we can't communicate (and to an INTJ, because we always strive so very hard to only speak what we fully mean and are very intentional with our words, you can understand my hurt by this- "She said it. That means she meant it. It doesn't matter if she said she doesn't mean it, because now it's only an attempt to coddle me emotionally, and I don't want or need that."). She hates that I'm calm and cool, yet (supposedly) appreciates it. I hate that she gets so reactive and dramatic, yet understand this is an expression of her passion.

Of course, she's dragged me to social events where the person she cheated on me with will be at. She's even ignored me for most of the time at one of the events, and then prompted to talk to this feller for a bit. Right in front of me. He's also been at her house several times after the incident when I came over (he's friends with her roommate).

I told her the next day (after explaining the above I presented) that I need a week to think things over, and that I need space. Which, aside from the occasional text message, she's thankfully granted me. At this point, I have no idea what I'm going to do. As an INTJ, the occasional fighting (rather than dialogue) becoming more frequent and more severe each time, being made demands of me that would compromise the integrity (INTJs love that word) of who I am without an equal set of example from her end,... it all adds up to me ending the relationship. At the same time, I recognize that she's provided me with a LOT of growth and challenges.

But I can't help but feel that a piece of me has irrevocably died, and my attempts to bring it back to life just leave it in a zombie-like fashion.

So first and foremost, INTJs- do you think I'm being unreasonable? Are there any other male INTJ/female ENFP's out there that have struggled through this- and came out successful on the other side?

ENFPs- if it comes to it and I decide to end the relationship, how would you prefer it be done if you were in her shoes? I realize breakups are never easy, but as an INTJ we can sometimes be considered... "heartless" or cold. I still care about her a lot, but unless something changes I feel as if this relationship is unsustainable and cannot be made to work (which I understand is typically y'all's modus operandi- that the end is "never the end", all can be repaired, etc.) any longer. So if it does happen, how would you prefer it? Face-to-face, a letter? The hard truth, gentle truth, etc.?

Last edited:
MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's be clear, we more or less feel attracted to our opposite sides.

I feel in "your book" you have a lot of praise -just like too many men probably to live the real love :smile:_

I'm teasing you, just relax and see what my dear miror offers you now :

You go out with a girl you like. Whatever her qualities seem to be, you realize, or even worst than that :

she betrayes you with her drunk neigbour !

She hates that I'm calm and cool, yet (supposedly) appreciates it. I hate that she gets so reactive and dramatic, yet understand this is an expression of her passion.

Can you bear that ? Are you still respecting yourself ?
If the answer is no, I'd just run away.

Which was devastating, understandably. You don't ever, ever betray an INTJ's trust, ever-

I can imagine... Nobody wants that !!! Betrayn an XXXX's trust and he/will will suffer a lot.

I clearly think this girl is pretty unhealthy. Whatever the 1st qualities you saw in her when dating her since 1 year ago.
Today it seems things have changes.

As I am an healthy human being, whatever the man, if he has shit behaviours = he is a shit.
So I am ok to deal with my own shits every day, not to swallows others or take others' bullshit on my back.

When one gets attracted to an unhealthy person, or he/she is playing the role of the psychanalyst/nurse,
or it means she represents a "shadow" you don't wanna see within yourself,
or that it is simply a way to fill up some voids and gaps in your own life,
or...you may be very unhealthy too.

Hope it will help you INTJ !

Sorry to ask (answer if you want to of course) : how old are you ? How old is she?

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
"Can you bear that? Are you still respecting yourself?
If the answer is no, I'd just run away."

well, i feel that i'm respecting myself, but i'm not giving myself the care that i need. or rather, not getting the opportunity to self-care. then again, this could just be the conflict-avoidant part of the "dark side" of my INTJ speaking.

"I can imagine... Nobody wants that !!! Betray an XXXX's trust and he/[she] will suffer a lot."
INTJs are reallllyy funny about trust. it takes us a fair while to give it, but when we give it- we give it deeply. if you break it by doing something egregious enough, it can take us YEARS to grant it back (if ever). we tend to operate in the past (introspection) and the future (consequences of current context), whereas an ENFP may be more likely to grant trust more quickly (as they tend to operate primarily in the present).

"As I am an healthy human being,"
i think everybody's got their own shit and nobody's fully "healthy"- there's always an opportunity to work on yourself to become better than what you presently are. :) but there are definitely some that are further along this path than others.

"whatever the man, if he has shit behaviours = he is a shit.
So I am ok to deal with my own shits every day, not to swallows others or take others' bullshit on my back."

i don't think i'm taking responsibility for her actions, nor should i (though being an ENFP, there was SOMETHING that made her seek it out- i'll take responsibility for that, but no more. and that doesn't necessarily mean i was in the wrong, other than perhaps not understanding her needs fully before i pursued the relationship).

"Sorry to ask (answer if you want to of course): how old are you ? How old is she?"
i am 30, she's 28.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
For all the people that think this is a stellar relationship combo....here you go.

I completely get where you are coming from with this. Naturally, the fraternizing with the guy she cheated on you with is the most critical issue but the smaller things (the suffocating neediness, the lack of compatibility in interests) are in no way small. The somewhat suicidal incident would have me packing my bags too. If she hates your calm coolness and sees her loosing her shit as just an expression of her passion - this will never change and only get worse as time goes on. This is an important thing to point out because it is a core part of your personality and hers. I don't like being called a robot anymore than you do but someone kind of has to be when dealing with a more volatile personality.

Unfortunately, I don't think it matters which way you try to end it, if you decide to do so. It's going to be bad. Probably in the most forward (in person) gentle way possible would be the best but you may not get that far.

In my experience, ENFP's can rationalize and justify almost anything. This would including cheating. I also understand regaining trust (if ever). Long time for INTJ's and some can't or won't ever understand this. My ENFJ doesn't either so you're not alone. While I understand being attracted to your opposite, this is just too opposite in a lot of cases.

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
well, i wouldn't say it'd be a good model to base ALL INTJ/ENFP after our experience- but 4/10, would not do again. the goods are *awesome*, being able to actually "click" with someone is pretty foreign to us INTJs and feels awesome when we find someone we do click with.
but the bads are... well. the bads are rough as hell.

thank you for your input, ceecee.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am neither a INTJ or a ENFP. I do have an ENFP sister married to an INTJ, as well as a very good friend who is a ENFP.

For my sister, she provides the emotion and excitement for their 33 year marriage, he provides the stability. He is very patient and she tries his patience. It works in the balance.

My ENFP friend is a bit more like your GF. For decades, whenever she got angry with her SO, she would go sleep with another guy in attempt to get her anger out. And justify it for herself. She manipulates and plays with the affections of her BFs. Her current BF is a ISTJ and she needs his ability to stand firm while she bounces around.

ENFPs can be very intelligent, but stable is not really in their playbook, even in their 40s and 50s.

I get the trust thing you have.....works with us INFJs too. It is extremely hard for me to have confidence that someone is worthy of my trust in the first place, someone I believe won't betray me. I couldn't do what you did. And from my understanding, she might do it again. ENFPs really struggle to settle down.

I can't believe she is socializing with the guy and in front of you. Or that you are still with her in spite of that. It tells me how much she really regards your feelings.

And I completely get how annoying it is that she dislikes so much about you, even though those attributes attracted her to you. I struggle with similar issues with my wife expressing distaste for much of me (why marry a brilliant, insightful guy if you don't like that....)

Run away. There are other women out there.

I might suggest you examine why you didn't end it after she cheated on you. I go that way because I have spent the last 6 months discovering things about myself I had not realized. Ni can really do a number on us with things like that.

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
thank you, SearchingforPeace. i like INFJ's a lot- y'all challenge us but tend to present it as some sort of pragmatic puzzle to solve using the feeling parts of us instead of "analyzing our feelings"- we INTJs sometimes struggle with nebulosity (at least, nebulous to us, operating in T instead of F)! excellent guides for navigating the emotional/mental bridge.

i am still processing it (of course), but i think i stayed with her because i didn't want to run away, yet again. i didn't want to avoid the conflict, i wanted to grab it by the horns and grow from it- i really believe(d?) in this relationship. i felt a need to prove to myself that i could do it, and felt like a failure that i was still struggling with it. but all in all, i think a year is a pretty good run, even with all the drama and fights- looking back, i definitely grew from it. so i guess, and i have to step outside my worldview a little bit here, that it was still a success even though it looked different from what i expected. at the same time, i feel like i lost part of myself along the way. i feel that i can get this part of me back, but certainly not under the way things are presently. i just don't know if the part of me that was lost was a good or bad quality of me. (or perhaps both.)

Last edited:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you can't accept her actions and you refuse to satisfy her then let her go. I saw in one of the posts above that you can't give her what she needs do to the way you structure your life. Your actions lead to her actions. Your rationalization and justification lead to hers.

Key to an ENFP is to give her what she wants in a relationship. It's that simple. She should have cut it instead of cheating if talks didn't help. Talk first, cut relationship, then sleep with someone else. This is with all relationships, not just ENFP actually. Find the right person or do what you have to in order to keep this one. You already know what you have to do.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=26274]CO-in-Gnito[/MENTION]

Good luck. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. Sometimes a little distance is good for both parties. You can always put your foot down about getting some alone time. I think that is critical to an introvert. It's like sleep. Necessary to function properly.

If she has an issue with this, and you are explaining it as eloquently as you do here, I don't think you are with a very understanding partner.

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
Poki-

thank you. i forget how reactive ENFPs can be sometimes, for sure.

MDP2525-
thanks- distance is definitely helping me feel more sane. i feel listless, but i think that's because i miss her (she is still a good friend despite everything) and all this emotion-heavy introspection and expression, verbalizing it, etc. is... uncomfortable. tiring, even. the verbalizing part, especially. but i still feel more centered, less "numb"- more of myself. so it was necessary for sure.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i am still processing it (of course), but i think i stayed with her because i didn't want to run away, yet again.

I guess you have run away before....

My question for you might be now: would it be running away to break up with given her actions and how she has treated you?

I struggle with the same question (though different issues) as to why I stayed with my wife even though our marriage was really bad for a long time. I continue to struggle with it as well, truth be told. But I am 20 years in and have a horde of kids, so other factors are also in play.

i didn't want to avoid the conflict, i wanted to grab it by the horns and grow from it- i really believe(d?) in this relationship. i felt a need to prove to myself that i could do it, and felt like a failure that i was still struggling with it. but all in all, i think a year is a pretty good run, even with all the drama and fights- looking back, i definitely grew from it. so i guess, and i have to step outside my worldview a little bit here, that it was still a success even though it looked different from what i expected.
I feel you made it a success, and enjoyed what you could. But given her nature, perhaps you need to find someone more understanding and compatible with you. You don't need someone just like you, but having someone who loves you for who you are is very important.

at the same time, i feel like i lost part of myself along the way. i feel that i can get this part of me back, but certainly not under the way things are presently. i just don't know if the part of me that was lost was a good or bad quality of me. (or perhaps both.)
I feel much the same way. I look at the person I used to be and look at who I am now. Some ways I am much better. Other ways I am far worse. I am trying to find those missing good parts that I sacrificed needlessly, but with good intentions of helping my wife and serving my family.

ENFPs can be great friends. I enjoy having my ENFP friend. But it appears to take a special person to be able to handle a LTR with one especially presenting unhealthy behaviors.....

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"As I am an healthy human being,"
i think everybody's got their own shit and nobody's fully "healthy"- there's always an opportunity to work on yourself to become better than what you presently are. :) but there are definitely some that are further along this path than others.

Yes, I agree with you. There are indeed several levels of well-being or bad health.
What I mean by being healthy is that I'm protecting myself from bad relationships and I take care of myself.I know I would only fly away if someone like that would dare approching me:bats:
That is so logical to me.

Hapyniss

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
well, i wouldn't say it'd be a good model to base ALL INTJ/ENFP after our experience- but 4/10, would not do again. the goods are *awesome*, being able to actually "click" with someone is pretty foreign to us INTJs and feels awesome when we find someone we do click with.
but the bads are... well. the bads are rough as hell.

thank you for your input, ceecee.

Fellow ENFP here hoping that I can offer some help. So here goes...

Seeing as how you've put forth this much effort and energy into the relationship, I'm going to speak from the perspective that your main goal is the resolution of issues and salvage.

She's a very immature ENFP. (This does get better) I'm not sure what her personal background is, but this is especially selfish behavior. I wouldn't expect this to change without challenging her to see that the future of the relationship depends on it. Have you communicated this?

I'm curious as it hasn't been mentioned, but how much of your needs/desires have you communicated with her and in what way? Was there a conversation with her about the party, how you felt ignored, how you didn't like that guy there, didn't like her talking to him? How did you end up spending 6 nights a week with her? In what way have you explained your need/desire for alone time? How specific have you been at affirming that space isn't disinterest? What other alternatives to spending 6 nights a week have you tried? (For instance: would she be ok with 3 nights a week, a quality telephone call, and maybe a few sweetly romantic text messages on the days you don't see each other?)

If we get the good stuff we're looking for all that time isn't necessary. She may be craving the time because you're not hitting the nail on the head. I may be able to help crack her code if we talk a bit more here.

INTJ's do have a wonderful way of peeling away the layers of ENFP and making us feel a bit like a pinned down dissected animal on a tray table being examined. You're probing curiosity is natural and beneficial but vulnerability makes ENFP's squirmy. I imagine her lashing out and calling you robot has to do with this type of vulnerability. Did she share an inner part of herself and didn't get the response she was hoping for? Not acceptable and very deliberate - your intuition on that is correct. In point, you may be misunderstanding her very much in the way she's misunderstanding you. This isn't exclusive to INTJ/ENFP relationships. Communication styles mismatch is common and not always a deal breaker.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi. First post. ("An INTJ asking for help from other people? It must be serious!")

The Background:
July 2014, I started dating an ENFP. I was captivated. She was so full of life and joy and hope that I couldn't help myself (the INTJs out there who have dated an ENFP can probably attest to this, as I suspect my experience isn't all that unique).

However, about three months or so in, work got incredibly busy (as it tends to do- we INTJs seem unnaturally- or perhaps naturally?- attracted to highly-demanding careers/studies), and I was in a state of high-focus mode; almost all of my energy was expended on getting through the task at hand. My ENFP felt that she was not getting the attention she craved/deserved, specifically (as she has mentioned) physical intimacy. There was a day when I didn't hear back from her- no texts, no calls returned, etc. It seemed fairly strange but not out of place- I figured she was tired. She had the day off, so I figured she was relaxing (because I was looking at it with my INTJ glasses).

She was not. She was getting drunk. And then sleeping with her neighbor.

I saw her the next day, and she was acting incredibly distant and unhappy- nigh suicidal, perhaps. I tried to find out what was going on but she wouldn't tell me. Three days later she tells me we have to talk, at which point she (to her credit, finally) confessed she cheated on me.

Which was devastating, understandably. You don't ever, ever betray an INTJ's trust, ever- and then especially you don't withhold it from them, not even for several days. Further complicating this was that the first serious relationship I had, a very similar experience occurred (my partner at the time had slept with someone else)- so this particular breach of trust is something that hurt perhaps even more than expected.

INTJs have problems recovering lost trust, but sexual infidelity is especially bad. And for this to have happened with the ENFP, *after* you've suffered the pain once before, must be indescribable.
You have my sincere condolences from a fellow INTJ armoured unit.

However, I decided this time, with this person, it was going to be different. I would give her a second chance. After all, we INTJs are (fancy ourselves as) the Ãœbermensch! We're above such silly things like grudges, and emotional ties! (I am, of course, speaking with sarcasm- but I'll be darned if we don't legitimately think this at times, at least in the quietest, most core voice we have in our minds).

Holy crap. You were digging deep into your reserves: I assume this meant you thought she was really worth it...

The Present:

However, it's now roughly a year later. We've both grown a lot. But I feel that now we've reached a point where we need to evaluate where we currently are at, rather than where things were before. We need to see where we're headed.

And...

• She wants me to spend more time with her. I can't, I am physically unable to do this. We spend all our time together when we're not at work. I get about one night to myself every week. (ENFPs, pay close attention- a translation of this would be if you only got to spend one night interacting with someone a week. Otherwise, you would have no contact with people at all. This is roughly analogous to what only having one night to one's self a week feels like to an INTJ.)
  • She wants me to enjoy the things she enjoys. Not to join her in them- I do. Example: I hate hiking. I hate it an incredible amount. (I do love camping, though.) She loves it. She was dumbfounded and hurt deep to the core of her being that I went hiking with her when she would ask me to, but would not enjoy it. For comparison, despite my invitations to join me in the social functions I attend/volunteer at (tech-related conferences, mostly) that I take part in (and DO enjoy), she has yet to join me in a single one. (Sidenote: ENFPs, please stop dragging your INTJs to things you like doing if they don't like doing them. It's okay to have different interests.)
  • This past friday, she wanted to "talk". She brings up the above, after being snappy/moody with me for a week (fairly different from the kind and colourful ENFP she usually is). She seems to want to make this work, but perhaps doesn't understand what she's asking of me.
  • Because (I presume) I do not share the same type of emotional response that she does- she has, on more than one occasion, called me a "robot". She knows this hurts me, and shortly after apologizes- but it just brings more to light that we can't communicate (and to an INTJ, because we always strive so very hard to only speak what we fully mean and are very intentional with our words, you can understand my hurt by this- "She said it. That means she meant it. It doesn't matter if she said she doesn't mean it, because now it's only an attempt to coddle me emotionally, and I don't want or need that."). She hates that I'm calm and cool, yet (supposedly) appreciates it. I hate that she gets so reactive and dramatic, yet understand this is an expression of her passion.

--Perfect analogy about spending more time with her, compared to the INTJ only getting one night to themselves a week.
--I understand that the ENFP would want time together to be "quality time" over shared interests: however it surprises me she is making such a stand over *hiking itself* and not seeking other activities which you both like, to make the subject of the sharing. Either this smells of shallowness, or a true passion of hers, or (possibly) she is seeking a pretext...?
--At least this time she's trying to "talk" instead of just ...well, you know. (Sorry!)
--it would hurt a LOT to have someone call me a robot; indeed, it has, in the past. But someone who is so emotionally gushy; somehow the xNFP can get underneath the armour so we cannot easily shake off what they say, even if it is tossed off lightly or carelessly or just to put a bit of "spin" or "body English" on the phrase when said, to make it sting -- which in her case is done to make sure she gets your attention, to convey the frustration and anger she feels...

Of course, she's dragged me to social events where the person she cheated on me with will be at. She's even ignored me for most of the time at one of the events, and then prompted to talk to this feller for a bit. Right in front of me. He's also been at her house several times after the incident when I came over (he's friends with her roommate).
That's simply reckless and/or cruel. NO excuse.

I told her the next day (after explaining the above I presented) that I need a week to think things over, and that I need space. Which, aside from the occasional text message, she's thankfully granted me. At this point, I have no idea what I'm going to do. As an INTJ, the occasional fighting (rather than dialogue) becoming more frequent and more severe each time, being made demands of me that would compromise the integrity (INTJs love that word) of who I am without an equal set of example from her end,... it all adds up to me ending the relationship. At the same time, I recognize that she's provided me with a LOT of growth and challenges.
What is the cause of the fights? Does she instigate them? Is it (as earlier) "physical frustration" e.g. you can match her drive, but just don't have the time to devote? Or is it she wants commitment (a ring)? Or is she craving more flit-like-a-butterfly freedom and excitement day-to-day? In any case, she is choosing destructive ways of communicating her need.

But I can't help but feel that a piece of me has irrevocably died, and my attempts to bring it back to life just leave it in a zombie-like fashion.
Understood completely. Question to ponder in your own private space: is it a part of *you* which is irrevocably dead, or is it a part of your relationship with *her* ?

So first and foremost, INTJs- do you think I'm being unreasonable? Are there any other male INTJ/female ENFP's out there that have struggled through this- and came out successful on the other side?
You've been more than merely reasonable. One good test is, if the roles were reversed, you'd cheated on *her*, and talked at parties to the girl you had cheated with, in front of her, and then gone on to shame her for spending too much time away from her, and not enjoying *your* hobbies enough.

"NEXT!!"

ENFPs- if it comes to it and I decide to end the relationship, how would you prefer it be done if you were in her shoes? I realize breakups are never easy, but as an INTJ we can sometimes be considered... "heartless" or cold. I still care about her a lot, but unless something changes I feel as if this relationship is unsustainable and cannot be made to work (which I understand is typically y'all's modus operandi- that the end is "never the end", all can be repaired, etc.) any longer. So if it does happen, how would you prefer it? Face-to-face, a letter? The hard truth, gentle truth, etc.?

Is she unstable enough to smash the windows on your car and come after your pet bunny with a pot of boiling water? If so, tread *carefully*...

(Here, have a piece of new-forged armour. From one INTJ to another.)

Best wishes -- I hope you get good counsel here, and find a girl worthy of you, who enjoys mending fractured INTJs...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it would be best for both of you if, should you decide to break up, you state the reasons very specifically to her. Arrange to meet and do it in person. Be concise and courteous, and lay it out plainly as you have done here. If you owe her anything in how you break up, it is this. She does sound rather immature. Losing you may make her realize this, and examine her own behavior. Then all the reasons you gave her will come back (even if she was too wound up in the moment to take it all in), and be of possible use.

You say you still care about this girl, at least as a friend. Should she get her act together and come after you later, you can decide then whether she has changed sufficiently to give another chance. Don't even mention that possibiity to her now, though. Just a clean break, and wish her well as she moves on (and you do, too).

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
Coriolis-

Thank you. I had the same thought last night, that a breakup might actually be good for her as well. I also agree that i would need to do it VERY deliberately and clearly- I can't leave any room for her "possibilities machine" to spin up, in this regard, and I would absolutely not want to lead her to think there was a way past it.

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
well. we broke up. i tried to explain it best i could ("i can't let go of you cheating on me" "i need to grow outward, you need to grow inward- and we aren't able to do that together", "i've already decided; my mind is made up", etc.), but she wasn't interested in hearing it, i don't think.

she bombarded me with texts and phone calls on my way home (we met at a bar), which i didn't respond to (she needs to take time and cool down, right? get over the initial reaction stage?). she tried to come over, that was when i finally texted her back saying "this was a very hard decision to make, and we're both upset. now is not a good time to discuss it. please take some time.* and respect what i've said. do not come here tonight, it will not be fruitful and will not fix anything. that is all i have to say."

*oops. meant to type a comma. i should have proofread the text before i sent it.

she replied she was already there. my roommate (fairly matured/self-actualized female ENFP, long-term good friend) went out to her instead and they ENFP'd together. i hung out inside and calmed down with my third roommate, a male ENTP (and a surprisingly mature one at that- not mature in that i'm trying to imply that ENTPs typically aren't, i mean he's remarkably self-actualized for an early 20-something). i feel a lot better now.

also, i've decided to start seeing a therapist. which is a pretty big deal, i think, for most INTJs- to seek that outside help. but i don't want to open my armor for someone who doesn't know what they're doing with the gooey part inside anymore.

she was a great ENFP, and i learned a lot- but i think she was juvenile and not self-examined.
and i was juvenile and careless with my external world.

she wants to see me "tomorrow or in a few days" when i "feel less raw, frustrated, and exhausted". doesn't she understand my mind's already made up? ENFPs (or those with a deep understanding of ENFP), can you decipher that?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
well. we broke up.
Sorry that it had to come to this, but I feel like this was necessary for you.

also, i've decided to start seeing a therapist. which is a pretty big deal, i think, for most INTJs- to seek that outside help. but i don't want to open my armor for someone who doesn't know what they're doing with the gooey part inside anymore.
I started going to a therapist for the first time shortly after my 45th birthday, a few months ago. It has been illuminating. Hard for INFJs to open up, too. Of course, I now have an over sharing problem now, so watch out.

CO-in-Gnito

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sorry that it had to come to this, but I feel like this was necessary for you.

yeah. i'm sorry too. but i agree- it was necessary. i should have done it earlier, i wish i had the foresight and Fi to make the choice long ago. i think it would have been easier on both of us that way. (hence, therapy)

I started going to a therapist for the first time shortly after my 45th birthday, a few months ago. It has been illuminating. Hard for INFJs to open up, too. Of course, I now have an over sharing problem now, so watch out.

:) how is/was it? do you feel a tangible benefit from it?

(also, congrats on almost-1k posts, and thank you)