• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP and ISTP Relationships

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think about relationships between ENFPs and ISTPs? The focus of this is really on romantic relationships but it also makes sense to discuss your experience in situations where these two types interact in a significant way – such as friendship, at work, etc.

When it’s working – What are the joys and positive aspects of these relationships?
- How compatible do you think these two types are in general?
- Why are they attracted to each other?
- How to they compliment each other?
- How well do they understand each other and why?
- What are they like together raising children?

When it’s not working – What are the challenges when two people of this type are in a relationship?
- What are some of the communication challenges they can have?
- What are the biggest frustrations between these two types?
- How can they take each other for granted?
- What happens with things “go wrong” between these two types?

Advice for couples – What recommendations do you have?
- What things should each type do to facilitate better communication?
- What advice do you have for each of the two types?
- If you are an ENFP, what advice do you have for the ISTPs?
- If you are an ISTP, what advice do you have for the ENFPs?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been in a relationship with an ENFP for two years. I will give you my personal experience.

Attraction: I was attracted to his insane charisma, warmth and humor. He is a genuinely good person. That is a rare find.

We are mirror images of each other. It is hard to describe and we are very different people even upon the outside looking in. But internally we have a similar core where we have the same ideas of how people should be treated with fairness. We are each other's best friends absolutely.

We each have lives independent of each other and are very comfortable with that. There is no jealousy or possessiveness with each other and we each encourage each other to be happy and do what we would like to do. There is very much a free spirit in each of us.

Problem areas: The main problem is the rose-colored glasses ENFP wears. That's not a problem in itself, it is with how that manifests in the dynamic.

ENFP can be very sensitive to disharmony. They generally do not like to deal with unpleasant situations. The ISTP views conflict as just part of life. The way this problem manifests, at least in my relationship, is if I have been in prolonged stressful situations he has picked up on that stress and distanced himself from me because he takes on my stress personally. It becomes extremely counterproductive.

This leads me to feel very unsupported and alone and as if I am carrying the heavy weight for both of us. I'm supporting him in his troubling times and I'm getting myself through my own.

I'm sure he would say that I am a little cold and unfeeling at times. I think ENFPs have difficulty seeing how ISTP's show love. What they don't realize is just how profoundly we do feel.

Another potential negative in this relationship is what the ISTP would view as ENFP "manipulation". This is extremely hard to describe. I know it will come out strange but it is worth mentioning.

ENFP may project things onto the ISTP which are not accurate. In doing so, the ENFP acts on their assumptions as fact. The actions that ensue (from the assumptions) can confuse the ISTP and we sense something is not making sense but can't figure it out. It puts the ISTP in a defensive position. To the ISTP, this can feel like the ENFP is being inauthentic toward us and we react with mistrust or anger.

Basically, assumptions are bad in this dynamic (on both ends) and can snowball easily. Again, communication is key.

Saying all that, this is my most fulfilling relationship I have been in. Tremendous area of growth for both parties. In fact, I do think I have become a better person with him in my life. I learn a lot about people from him.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had a fling with someone of that type... it ended when I learned that he was married :dry:

we never ran out of things to talk about because we both were interested in almost everything and the sex was good

he always wanted to pry into my personal self though and I didn't like that... there's a barrier where one's self begins and the rest of the world stops and he didn't seem to realize that he was included in that category as well... EVERYONE is included in that category. he overshared himself by my standards as well... except for the one point that I'd have been happy to hear earlier (i.e. "I'm married")

on the bright side, as has been said, he didn't interfere with my life in any way and I stayed out of his... he wasn't jealous, which was good because I'm NOT a fan of jealousy

overall, I have nothing against people of ANY personality type, but I do resent getting dragged into that situation :doh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have been in a relationship with an ENFP for two years. I will give you my personal experience.

Attraction: I was attracted to his insane charisma, warmth and humor. He is a genuinely good person. That is a rare find.

We are mirror images of each other. It is hard to describe and we are very different people even upon the outside looking in. But internally we have a similar core where we have the same ideas of how people should be treated with fairness. We are each other's best friends absolutely.

We each have lives independent of each other and are very comfortable with that. There is no jealousy or possessiveness with each other and we each encourage each other to be happy and do what we would like to do. There is very much a free spirit in each of us.

Problem areas: The main problem is the rose-colored glasses ENFP wears. That's not a problem in itself, it is with how that manifests in the dynamic.

ENFP can be very sensitive to disharmony. They generally do not like to deal with unpleasant situations. The ISTP views conflict as just part of life. The way this problem manifests, at least in my relationship, is if I have been in prolonged stressful situations he has picked up on that stress and distanced himself from me because he takes on my stress personally. It becomes extremely counterproductive.

This leads me to feel very unsupported and alone and as if I am carrying the heavy weight for both of us. I'm supporting him in his troubling times and I'm getting myself through my own.

I'm sure he would say that I am a little cold and unfeeling at times. I think ENFPs have difficulty seeing how ISTP's show love. What they don't realize is just how profoundly we do feel.

Another potential negative in this relationship is what the ISTP would view as ENFP "manipulation". This is extremely hard to describe. I know it will come out strange but it is worth mentioning.

ENFP may project things onto the ISTP which are not accurate. In doing so, the ENFP acts on their assumptions as fact. The actions that ensue (from the assumptions) can confuse the ISTP and we sense something is not making sense but can't figure it out. It puts the ISTP in a defensive position. To the ISTP, this can feel like the ENFP is being inauthentic toward us and we react with mistrust or anger.

Basically, assumptions are bad in this dynamic (on both ends) and can snowball easily. Again, communication is key.

Saying all that, this is my most fulfilling relationship I have been in. Tremendous area of growth for both parties. In fact, I do think I have become a better person with him in my life. I learn a lot about people from him.

In a relationship with an Enfp as well and all of this rings true. Will respond a bit more, don't feel like responding in length on phone.

To sum it up, there are some things in life I still want from a partner that this enfp hasnt provided, not that they wont ever, but we will see. Its not related to type though. All in all we get together very good.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am currently in a relationship with an ENFP, been going on for the last 2 years also.

Our personalities mesh really good. We get along awesomely and I am the only person she can not only stand to be around 24/7, but wants to be around 24/7. Our arguments don't go beyond a heated debate and are very short lived. Neither of us like arguing and one usually bends willingly. We are very different, but strangely very much alike.

She has a very playful, happy, bubbly personality. That goes along with my conservative, think before I jump, laid back personality. This blend works perfectly because when I am on the fence she pushes me over in the right direction and I keep her from falling the wrong direction when she is on the fence. My think before you leap has lead her to trust my opinion and my judgement of things. This works out well because I love to push limits, I just don't do it stupidly.

Our communication is really hit or miss when it comes to talking about things. She doesn't like it, but I accuse her a lot of her talking out of her ass. Its like she says what seems like a good idea and has convinced herself its the truth because of it. I have caught her in a lot of lies, but they are not really intentional lies if that makes sense. She is very shallow in her initial responses and leads me to believe that she really doesn't know who or what she likes. Despite the hit or miss communication we get along very well as the above I mentioned isn't really a big deal to me. We talk and text a lot, we both enjoy each others conversations very much even with the hit or miss. It ends up being more like, our communication works out very well because we can handle the hit or miss without anything blowing out of proportion. I hear a lot of people complain about N vs S communication. I can see the issues, but it doesn't really hinder the communication, it just takes slightly more effort. We are very much alike so its not a "who we are", its strictly how we talk about things. We say the same things in different ways. I can be a very blunt when it comes to people. Its not judgemental, but laying things out exactly as they are.

The issues I have revolves mostly around her defense mechanism, it seems very cold and distanced. It makes me become very defensive to the point where I have a wall up constantly. It happened a lot at first which built the wall, but not much anymore. But when I build walls they are solid and it doesn't come down easy. I on the other hand have destroyed every wall she has built up before she really knew me. Its breaking through those walls which is why I now have walls. I don't know if its E vs I, but her walls are all encompassing, as in, this is how people are. My walls are very personal, I build a wall with kinda like facial recognition. Its for a specific person. There was a lot of pushing away at first and I don't do well with that, I build walls.

I agree with the assumptions that ENFPs project things on me. It leads me to believe that she really doesn't know me all that well or listen. Its comes back to more talking out of her ass as when I disagree she agrees with me and can see exactly why I say what I am saying. Its more like she has this idea in her head and things morph towards it despite reality. I frequently have to bring her into reality.

The one strange thing is that even though she is an E and I am an I, I have to teach her about people. This is due to her upbringing, I am slowly morphing how she sees people because she likes how I view things. They are very blunt and have a ton of truth to them. They are based on reality, not feelings, rose colored glasses, self-manipulation, etc. I see the world for what it is and I navigate according to it. The truth hurts, but no pain, no gain. She appreciates this very much because I see both sides to everything, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am a VERY strong middle brain person.

All in all, the good out way the bad 100 times over. I don't know if I will end up marrying her, but I do always want her in my life and as a very close friend.

I agree the key is that assumptions are made and communication is very important. Due to how our personalities mesh we seem to always be able to work things out.

Not sure if this is with all ENFPs, but sex is good and very frequent. I don't believe frequent is a ENFP/ISTP dynamic thing, just an individual thing.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh wow [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION], this is really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] that thing about talking out her ass is cracking me up.

i think that thing is something that a lot of other types have a hard time understanding. it's something that's caused problems in relationships for me as well. but it's our way of figuring out how we feel about something. to explore multiple sides. that can look like "i really love the X, Y, Z about this, this thing is great!" then "oh but A, B, C kinda sucks, this thing isn't so great." we almost have to put ourselves fully on each side in order to test it out. really the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. the thing has positive and negative aspects and no GOOD or BAD can really be assigned. ...if that makes sense.

MBTI Type
ENFP
:wubbie::wubbie::wubbie::wubbie:
When ever I think of ISTPS I think of modest mouse...who knows why. ISTPs are enjoyable, and I tend to enjoy making up strategies to use subtle shock factor to excite them. I really love amusing ISTPS...not annoying them. I made a thread about my experience seeing an ISTP. my favorite characteristics in the ISTP is their confidence when they're sure of themselves. Or sometimes I really enjoy the drunk ISTP. which is bizarre to say, because they're known for getting a little too cocky drunk. But I see this side in them sober, when they're comfortable. It's not egotistical it's true emotion. I also like just looking at their facial expressions, which creeped out the guy I was seeing. idgaf. I ended things with him because we weren't on the same page intellectually. I'm no genius, but I'm quick when it comes to some things. But I know plenty of ISTPs who are more intellectually advanced than me.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] that thing about talking out her ass is cracking me up.

i think that thing is something that a lot of other types have a hard time understanding. it's something that's caused problems in relationships for me as well. but it's our way of figuring out how we feel about something. to explore multiple sides. that can look like "i really love the X, Y, Z about this, this thing is great!" then "oh but A, B, C kinda sucks, this thing isn't so great." we almost have to put ourselves fully on each side in order to test it out. really the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. the thing has positive and negative aspects and no GOOD or BAD can really be assigned. ...if that makes sense.

Makes sense, its compartmentalizing the individual pieces. I weigh the good and bad and assign the whole on a scale. It would be kinda like a pros and cons list except it gets a scale rating instead of picking a side. Of course non of this is actually paper and pencil nor do I put any effort into figuring out my scale. Its just one of those things that's automatic and natural.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The romantic side is really good. We are both very romantically and sexually open. Willing to try new things.

We are also in an open relationship. Neither of us are focused on the "open" relationship though nor are we looking for someone to replace each other. Its just more to enhance life if/when things come up. Life is to busy right now to really explore it more then we have. Open both in going outside the relationship sexually or emotionally to a degree or bringing another into it. Pretty much not limiting our life by rules that impede things, while focusing on working towards enjoying life as much as possible.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Makes sense, its compartmentalizing the individual pieces. I weigh the good and bad and assign the whole on a scale. It would be kinda like a pros and cons list except it gets a scale rating instead of picking a side. Of course non of this is actually paper and pencil nor do I put any effort into figuring out my scale. Its just one of those things that's automatic and natural.

Automatic and natural, exactly. Ne dominance is about equal to naturally being all over the place in the eyes of others.

AsianENFP

I feel comfortable and "at peace" when he is around. Comfortable even with all the squabbles we get into (short-lived!). He is amused by all my nonsense - forgetting things, getting way too easily excited. I am not sure why I like him but I really do. I think his obvious acceptance (and even amusement) of whatever makes me a little crazy to other types (though he does criticize me - teasingly - from time to time) is what I love and "find peace" in. I don't know any other type that would do this for me. ISTJs are too inquisitive. ISTPs are not so much.

I never withhold my compliments from him. He does, from me. But I know he admires what I do because he doesn't do what I do. Queen Bee Socialite that I am.

We hang out a lot and I am very sure we both like each other. But... he is seven years my junior and I feel like he is going to be holding back from going further in the relationship (help!) although he has made physical advances to show me he likes me. (but he respects boundaries between us even though sometimes I show that I want his physical affection)

I don't know how it will work long-term because I worry I am too paranoid about how much he trusts/doesn't trust me

Also, I worry that I misunderstand where he is coming from sometimes. (related to above)

It's pretty hard to fight - this attraction - but I worry that we will be too physically involved without working out other things like him sharing his emotions / talking about the future ... with me.

aanule

MBTI Type
ENFP
My brother is an ISTP... I've lived with him for 30 of my 31 years (he lives with me at this point), and I honestly don't think I know him. He's very withdrawn, hardly ever shows affection for me or my children. I know it's in there, but it just doesn't come out. Analytical to a fault, unable to see the emotion in a situation for the logic... Which drives me nuts.

I think he's either an aspie, or emotionally stunted from the passing of our father when he was 14. Either way, I just leave him be. I don't try to be more than a landlord anymore, it's not worth my emotional investment.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My brother is an ISTP... I've lived with him for 30 of my 31 years (he lives with me at this point), and I honestly don't think I know him. He's very withdrawn, hardly ever shows affection for me or my children. I know it's in there, but it just doesn't come out. Analytical to a fault, unable to see the emotion in a situation for the logic... Which drives me nuts.

I think he's either an aspie, or emotionally stunted from the passing of our father when he was 14. Either way, I just leave him be. I don't try to be more than a landlord anymore, it's not worth my emotional investment.

If you don't think you know him, how do you know he is ISTP? ;P

Russian

MBTI Type
enfp
Hi, everybody!
About what ISTP there is a speech? What functions at them? Ti + Se?
At us in socionics such relations are called conflict, after all as Ti + Se - types, these are people of structural thinking, they are mad about an order (Ti) and actively protect (Se) the order.
ENFP (Ne + Fi) are freedom-loving persons, they are afraid such as of Ti+Se, are afraid that "will cage" them.
Another matter of ISTJ (Si+Te), is the people loving comfort, they wish to hold nobody locked up, but with them so warmly that ENFP don't wish to leave.

Russian

MBTI Type
enfp
I'm sorry for bad translate.

ISTP's (LSI) functions:

Ti

Thoroughly penetrates into business in which is engaged. Stubborn and persistently collects information completely to own a situation. The collector or the bibliophile, especially interests him reference books. The supporter of a strict order and the debugged system. Everything that doesn't fit into it, rejects as illogical. In the business interesting him regularly checks and controls its course. It is balanced and executive itself, demands the same from others. Respects subordination. Doesn't take into account of personal sympathies, so far as concerns business. Displays subjects in strictly taken away places. Doesn't suffer when someone takes without demand or shifts its things.

Se

Sober realist: sets before itself only the feasible purposes therefore in most cases achieves them even if and not at once. If explanations and preventions don't help, includes pressing and other power methods of management. Is able to pressurize the opponent, driving him into a corner. Stoik who is able to behave. Transfers any adversities. Forces itself to do that is uninteresting, but it is necessary. Helps those who is weak, defenseless. Sponsors old and sick. Happens the imperceptible loner fighter for justice.

Fi

In public keeps politely and correctly. Can force to be cheerful and sociable. Easily contacts situational, incontinuous character. The behavior causes trust. Patiently listens to people who address to it. Sympathizes with them, shows the arrangement. Though passes to a close distance, but rejects familiarity in the relations. Sticks with the native severely to the house. Likes to bring up, moralize. It is reliable in the attachments though happens that is painfully broken off between two objects of sympathies at once.

Ne

It is very attached to the outlook. Doesn't go on concessions and compromises. Selects friends to itself for a coincidence of views. Judges human abilities on himself. If I can do it why others aren't present? The intuition to it is replaced by the personal relation. Maybe will trust in the well-wisher, the earphone, the pseudo-supporter. Appreciates people intellectual, creatively gifted. Can forgive them even egoism and not ethics.

Fe

Itself usually is in gloomy mood. Accumulates negative emotions. Having splashed out them on somebody, feels sense of relief. Frequent change of an emotional background is necessary for it for a good physical shape. Doesn't transfer the directed pressure negative emotions - we cry, whims, charges. It is easier for it to concede, than to ignore them. It is internally quite sensitive and vulnerable though and doesn't show it, considering the weakness.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fwiw, my ENFP friend says sex with her ISTP ex was the best she ever had. But it was like a two year one night stand.....

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi, everybody!
About what ISTP there is a speech? What functions at them? Ti + Se?
At us in socionics such relations are called conflict, after all as Ti + Se - types, these are people of structural thinking, they are mad about an order (Ti) and actively protect (Se) the order.
ENFP (Ne + Fi) are freedom-loving persons, they are afraid such as of Ti+Se, are afraid that "will cage" them.
Another matter of ISTJ (Si+Te), is the people loving comfort, they wish to hold nobody locked up, but with them so warmly that ENFP don't wish to leave.

Ti is generally associated with the ability to recognize logical consistency and correctness, generate and apply classifications and systems, organize systematic and conceptual understanding, see logical connections between things (including logical similarities, differences, and correlations) by means of instinctive feelings of validity, symmetry, and even beauty. It is like common sense, in that it builds on one's expectations of reality, through a somewhat personal, though explicable, understanding of general truths and how they are manifested .

Completely me. Does it mean I am controlled by my logic, no. My logical and functional side is what ENFPs enjoy because I am not hung up on it to the point where it causes issues. My Se is what guides me in controlling my environment. Combined with my other functions it helps to provide that balance. Control...to a degree. I made a comment to someone the other day I would just trip her, catch her, and redirect her while she is still scratching her head trying to figure out what happened. She agreed with me that matches me. Se is a highly perceptive function that pulls in so much information combine with Ti that we understand logically that which surrounds us. Even to the point of feelings and emotions. Logic and such really does apply, lack of ability to apply is not equal lack of capability of logic, just user itself.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The romantic side is really good. We are both very romantically and sexually open. Willing to try new things.

We are also in an open relationship. Neither of us are focused on the "open" relationship though nor are we looking for someone to replace each other. Its just more to enhance life if/when things come up. Life is to busy right now to really explore it more then we have. Open both in going outside the relationship sexually or emotionally to a degree or bringing another into it. Pretty much not limiting our life by rules that impede things, while focusing on working towards enjoying life as much as possible.

Interesting. I brought up this idea early on in the relationship (I like the idea of it - and probably wouldn't utilize it as much as people would think but it would be nice for both of us to act on a moment if we wanted to) but he wasn't keen on it. Which is fine.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Dear ISTPs,

Take if from me, never ever pursue an ENFP. They are the hunters when it comes to love and relationships. If they decide they like you, they'll come after you. Go after them, and you'll get your heart broken.

There is an exception to the rule. That is pursuing one will work if you know how to play your cards really really well. Even then, don't keep your hopes up. Try, but never with your hopes up.