• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ and INFP Relationships

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You don't get it, do you? This isn't about using people for your own gain or anything like that. The point all along is that duality is a way to engage and encourage psychological growth. You are drawn and end up with your dual and find the relationship psychologically fulfilling not to use them as a means to grow for your own selfish purposes, but because they satisfy you in a way other ITR do not. That's how simple it is. Stop twist the argument to suit your perspective.

If you want(consciously or unconsciously) F as a T because they help you to get to your goals("engage and encourage psychological growth"), it is about your personal growth, so it is about you. Isnt it? I said that if its about unconsciously wanting that because your unconscious tries to look for compensation, then it is not immoral selfishness, but it is about you, not about the other person, not about the relationship. Then if its consciously using other people, then it is selfishness.

However since you apparently havent seen it, i have no objection against being attracted to someone who is an opposite in some way or another, but the difference is about reasons for it. I think i already addressed this in other words, so ill say it again in other words. If you are looking for compensation from your relationship, you are half a coin that looks for other half from someone else. If you are a full coin that doesent look for another half for Self, but someone bit different whose differences you can admire and are drawn to, then its completely different thing.

And my entire point all along is that I do not agree with that perspective. Learning is learning.

I already addressed this issue by saying that your approach is more Te goal oriented style than my approach is.. For example learning math formulas by purely memorization and being capable of calculating complex calculations, is not the same as learning math by figuring out why the formulas are what they are and then being capable of doing complex calculations with the same formulas. Im not saying that INTJs are the types to just memorize the formulas without any thought, but it represents similar goal oriented attitude of "i can now do this, and how i was able to do it is not relevant".

Jung had this idea about anima/animus archetypes playing role in relationships. The idea is that the opposite from your persona you hide away from other people because you see it as something opposite of you is and often attribute these traits to your ideal romantic partner and try to look for partner like that because your unconscious tries to compensate your own weaknesses. Jung, jungians in general, numerous marriage counsellors and other psychologists see this sort of setup as perfect situation for projections(onto someone who even vaguely resembles this ideal partner) and think that this sort of projections start to fade out after you really get to know the other person(or that they dont fade away and just cause too much misunderstandings and other problems in relationships that it fails altogether) and often in these situations people realize that they didnt actually know their partner nearly as well as they thought.
Not to mention the idea that its the other persons persona that your anima registers and then starts to project onto the whole person.

The way to decrease this sort of projections and anima traps is to develop those sides in yourself. And if you develop your F based on some F persons F, then you are again prone on projecting ideas of your old partner on a new partner who is also F, because your idea of F is based on that other person, not this new partners F. So in the end you wont get out of the trap, the trap just changes form a bit.

This is part of my point:

I imagine both parties would have to be pretty persistent and dedicated, but it could work.

Doesent this need for going through long and rocky road be smaller if both parties would had developed their weaker sides, in this case INTJ who developed and properly integrated his Fi to himself and INFP who developed and integrated her Te to herself? Because i think it would ease things significantly, decrease the headaches and arguments/fights that come from misunderstandings and up the chances of the relationship to work out significantly.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doesent this need for going through long and rocky road be smaller if both parties would had developed their weaker sides, in this case INTJ who developed and properly integrated his Fi to himself and INFP who developed and integrated her Te to herself?
Hey, INTJs can be girls, too, y'know. :alttongue:

Actually, that reminds me. I've been meaning to start a thread about T women dating F men. (And what a frustrating mess it can be.)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you want(consciously or unconsciously) F as a T because they help you to get to your goals("engage and encourage psychological growth"), it is about your personal growth, so it is about you. Isnt it?

Sure is, but it's not just about T vs F, but it's Ti-Fe vs Fi-Te. If you favor Ti-Fe, you will innately prefer and find it more natural to communicate and speak those who are Ti-Fe over Fi-Te. Makes perfect sense, no? That is the entire basis of intertype. Since you are a Ti dom, speaking to an Fe dom will also show you the world of Fe in a way you could never engage in your own because you repress that aspect of yourself. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a Ti dom in the first place and no amount of self-development on your own is going to make you change types. You can however engage that aspect via others who provide that for you. That's the basis of duality.

I said that if its about unconsciously wanting that because your unconscious tries to look for compensation, then it is not immoral selfishness, but it is about you, not about the other person, not about the relationship. Then if its consciously using other people, then it is selfishness.

And I never made that distinction in the first place so why bring it up? It's just a strawman.

However since you apparently havent seen it, i have no objection against being attracted to someone who is an opposite in some way or another, but the difference is about reasons for it. I think i already addressed this in other words, so ill say it again in other words. If you are looking for compensation from your relationship, you are half a coin that looks for other half from someone else. If you are a full coin that doesent look for another half for Self, but someone bit different whose differences you can admire and are drawn to, then its completely different thing.

Again, it was never about compensation. Duality isn't compensation.

I already addressed this issue by saying that your approach is more Te goal oriented style than my approach is.. For example learning math formulas by purely memorization and being capable of calculating complex calculations, is not the same as learning math by figuring out why the formulas are what they are and then being capable of doing complex calculations with the same formulas. Im not saying that INTJs are the types to just memorize the formulas without any thought, but it represents similar goal oriented attitude of "i can now do this, and how i was able to do it is not relevant".

The argument itself is still irrelevant to the claim that it is somehow more courageous to learn something on your own without the use of a mentor.

Jung had this idea about anima/animus archetypes playing role in relationships. The idea is that the opposite from your persona you hide away from other people because you see it as something opposite of you is and often attribute these traits to your ideal romantic partner and try to look for partner like that because your unconscious tries to compensate your own weaknesses. Jung, jungians in general, numerous marriage counsellors and other psychologists see this sort of setup as perfect situation for projections(onto someone who even vaguely resembles this ideal partner) and think that this sort of projections start to fade out after you really get to know the other person(or that they dont fade away and just cause too much misunderstandings and other problems in relationships that it fails altogether) and often in these situations people realize that they didnt actually know their partner nearly as well as they thought.
Not to mention the idea that its the other persons persona that your anima registers and then starts to project onto the whole person.

He did, and while it is arguable that Augusta actually based her idea of duality on the notion of anima, I don't think duality is the same as doing the unconscious projections that Jung posits concerning the anima since the anima complex is a projection which means you are not seeing the person for who they are in the first place. You project someone to become an Se dom even whey are not an Se dom. Duality is not about projections but duality is about psychological satisfaction in the sense that you have the easiest time communicating with your duals. Duality is about communication and has nothing to do with psychological projections or ideas concerning some ideal partner.

The way to decrease this sort of projections and anima traps is to develop those sides in yourself. And if you develop your F based on some F persons F, then you are again prone on projecting ideas of your old partner on a new partner who is also F, because your idea of F is based on that other person, not this new partners F. So in the end you wont get out of the trap, the trap just changes form a bit.

lol, it's quite funny, you are so scared of the idea that you can actually learn to engage feeling from a feeler by speaking to a feeler. Why? What scares you so much to the point you think that any communication with a feeler, if you are a thinker, must lead to mere projection and not actual self-development? When people communicate with other people, we adopt ourselves to their modes of perception over time. This is natural for everyone of us. This means that if you are a thinker and you hang out with a bunch of feelers, you will begin to think a little bit more like they do because you will adopt to their ways, just like they will begin to think a little bit more like you do because they adopt to your ways. Why are you so scared of people robbing you off your own sense of independence? Oh wait. Type 5.

This is part of my point:

Doesent this need for going through long and rocky road be smaller if both parties would had developed their weaker sides, in this case INTJ who developed and properly integrated his Fi to himself and INFP who developed and integrated her Te to herself? Because i think it would ease things significantly, decrease the headaches and arguments/fights that come from misunderstandings and up the chances of the relationship to work out significantly.

Actually, being receptive to your dual is the first step of duality because if you think you don't need to hear or are open to the input of your dual, you will likely reject them anyway. So there's that.

You can go on and think this way lol, but between the two of us, I am pretty sure I know who is the one who is afraid of psychologically engaging the inferior here, and it's not I.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey, INTJs can be girls, too, y'know. :alttongue:

Actually, that reminds me. I've been meaning to start a thread about T women dating F men. (And what a frustrating mess it can be.)

Women capable of being INTJs(or any T type) is a myth, it just simply cannot happen. So because your type says INTJ and you provided photo evidence of you being a female, you cannot exist.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Women capable of being INTJs(or any T type) is a myth, it just simply cannot happen. So because your type says INTJ and you provided photo evidence of you being a female, you cannot exist.
To paraphrase Douglas Adams:

"Oh dear," says the female INTJ, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I'm really a guy after all? Cool. Can I be a few inches taller, too?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sure is, but it's not just about T vs F, but it's Ti-Fe vs Fi-Te. If you favor Ti-Fe, you will innately prefer and find it more natural to communicate and speak those who are Ti-Fe over Fi-Te. Makes perfect sense, no? That is the entire basis of intertype. Since you are a Ti dom, speaking to an Fe dom will also show you the world of Fe in a way you could never engage in your own because you repress that aspect of yourself. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a Ti dom in the first place and no amount of self-development on your own is going to make you change types. You can however engage that aspect via others who provide that for you. That's the basis of duality.

Well its funny that 5 out of 6 of my best friends are Fi/Te(INFP, ENFP, ESFP, INTJ, ISFP) and just one Ti/Fe(ENTP), so it doesent seem like i prefer Ti/Fe more. But i do agree that its easier for me an the ENTP to understand each other when talking about complex science stuff, other rationale or philosophy. I quite often have to explain the INTJ to the ENTP and other way around because i can see easier what part the INTJ doesent get(but explaining it to the INTJ isnt always easy), usually when its 3 of us debating over something i can get the ENTP in a sec, but the INTJ cant, so its left to me to trouble shoot what part the INTJ didt get.

Again, it was never about compensation. Duality isn't compensation.

Ofc it is, relationships always have at least some compensation going on. The difference is in the amount and reasons for attraction.

The argument itself is still irrelevant to the claim that it is somehow more courageous to learn something on your own without the use of a mentor.

This is something so obvious that it doesent even need any arguments for..

He did, and while it is arguable that Augusta actually based her idea of duality on the notion of anima, I don't think duality is the same as doing the unconscious projections that Jung posits concerning the anima since the anima complex is a projection which means you are not seeing the person for who they are in the first place. You project someone to become an Se dom even whey are not an Se dom. Duality is not about projections but duality is about psychological satisfaction in the sense that you have the easiest time communicating with your duals. Duality is about communication and has nothing to do with psychological projections or ideas concerning some ideal partner.

It doesent matter whether duality and anima/animus are the same(and i never claimed that they are), rest of what you say just shows that you are not very familiar with the idea of anima. Its funny that these INFP and INTJ friends ai have are also roommates and they dont get each others at all, thy dont communicate the same. And i never said that duality is about projection, i said that its easy to project onto someone who is opposite to you in some ways.

lol, it's quite funny, you are so scared of the idea that you can actually learn to engage feeling from a feeler by speaking to a feeler. Why? What scares you so much to the point you think that any communication with a feeler, if you are a thinker, must lead to mere projection and not actual self-development? When people communicate with other people, we adopt ourselves to their modes of perception over time. This is natural for everyone of us. This means that if you are a thinker and you hang out with a bunch of feelers, you will begin to think a little bit more like they do because you will adopt to their ways, just like they will begin to think a little bit more like you do because they adopt to your ways. Why are you so scared of people robbing you off your own sense of independence? Oh wait. Type 5.

Again you are just showing that you are not getting it. Where did you get the idea that im afraid to learn to encage F from feelers? Its not about that, its just that copy/paste someone elses behavior or thinking patterns isnt as good idea than it is to become your own person, which i dont think can be fully attained from copy/paste or from adjusting to someone elses preferences. Sure some adjustment is always needed in relationships(romantic or platonic), but trying to forge your inner self from adjusting to others or copy/paste is just foolish short cut to take in my opinion.

Actually, being receptive to your dual is the first step of duality because if you think you don't need to hear or are open to the input of your dual, you will likely reject them anyway. So there's that.

Thats just the first step out of hundreds..

You can go on and think this way lol, but between the two of us, I am pretty sure I know who is the one who is afraid of psychologically engaging the inferior here, and it's not I.

Years ago i got depressed due to one(T) sidedness of my ego and in order to get out of it, i was forced to develop and realize my F(which ofc isnt the same F than other people have, because each person is individual, another reason why its not good to learn too much from others), not to mention all the other introspection that i had to do about my weaknesses. I have since worked in customer service which was mostly just using Fe(not only was the job Fe'ing around, but the whole organization was ran so that they could raise money for charity), and i excelled in it and enjoyed it a lot. This ofc has also made me more aware of Fe related stuff going around me(thats part of the development), i get more joy in spreading joy nowadays etc etc. And i have learned to do better Ti and Fe analysis on things and to rationally think which one i should put more weight into, or if i could find an way to incorporate both and maybe make some compromises between them to get to a solution that satisfies both as much as possible(<- the most important thing in development).
Ofc i dont always care about Fe harmony or whether or not my actians have a negative influence on the mood of the situation which others are also part of and i still hold back some Fe from some people, because i feel that they could use it against me since im not(and never will be) as competent in it as i am with Ti. But im not even supposed to be and it would be foolish to think that i could be as fluent in something i have learned later in my life than in something that i was born to be and have trained since i was born.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To paraphrase Douglas Adams:

"Oh dear," says the female INTJ, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

So long, and thanks for all the fish...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol, so by this token it's also bad to have a teacher or a mentor who will help you oversee your development of a skill when learning something new? We know that tutoring > self-practice and the steeper the learning curve, the faster we learn. The point of the dual isn't to cover up for one's own weaknesses without one ever doing something about it on one's own, but the point of the dual is that they provide a safe environment where they encourage you to use your weaker functions in a way that feels comfortable for you, by themselves setting an example of how one uses them in a sophisticated manner. Just like a teacher or a mentor does, in other words.

I feel like none of you actually understand or get duality in this regard. Duals actually correct you, they show you when you do wrong or bad and then they provide how you do it better. They aren't carrying you around like babies. It's the very other way around. When you engage with your dual they will dominate you where you are weak and you will force to submit to them and take in what they have to say. Over time, you will begin to develop the same sophisticated awareness they do though of course, never the same as your dual.

There's nothing wrong with a mentor or receiving help in self-growth, but many don't want that dynamic with a romantic partner.

Also, instead of "dualizing" you, it can make you simply rely on someone else so much for your blindspot that you never bother to grow in that area.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's nothing wrong with a mentor or receiving help in self-growth, but many don't want that dynamic with a romantic partner.

Also, instead of "dualizing" you, it can make you simply rely on someone else so much for your blindspot that you never bother to grow in that area.

I understand that argument but I don't think duality works that way. Duals know how to criticize you at your weak spots. It doesn't stifle growth but it promotes it, unless they are assholes but why would you be with someone who is an asshole? That's not type specific. The thing about the dual is that they won't just let you be. They are competent at what you suck at, so they will always naturally point out when you err. It comes natural for them to do that. Duals don't coddle. That's why duality is described as often having quite a stormy initial phase because it takes time for partners to adapt and tease out the kinks between them. It's only after it settles down that the duals really begin to see and appreciate what they got to offer one and another and, speaking from a personal perspective, that psychological fulfillment is just par none. The more you are with each other, the more you feel like you cannot be without them. They psychologically complete you.

Unless you have been in a close relationship with a dual, I think it will be extremely difficult to understand this, tbh. I am not going to say duality solves world problems but I do think people on the internet tend to be more skeptical of duality than it's actually warranted, and it's of course easy to be skeptical towards something one has yet to experience. Duality is one of those soul mate things. If you ever engage a dual, you will know what I mean. Until then, there's no way I can describe the experience to an outsider and they will actually get it. It just feels very deeply psychologically fulfilling in how you complement each other and how it allows you to grow as a person. I've never been in a relationship with someone else that has promoted so much personal growth as duality.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an INFP man who's been married to an INTJ woman for twenty-eight years. We're both quite certain of our types, having done a lot of testing and reading and reflecting and discussing.

What's it like? Well, great in some ways but difficult in others--like most relationships, I would imagine. I'm no expert, though, as I have few, if any, other relationships to compare it to.

Yes, we're both Responders (an interaction-style term), and that can be a big problem. Neither of us wants to take the initiative, so we wait for each other, and long periods of time go by without anything ever happening. One of us has to go "out of character" and force an issue before action can take place.

She's got the Directing style (another interaction-style term), so she ends up being the one to break down and take the initiative most of the time. But she resents it because she believes in traditional gender roles: I'm the guy, so I ought to be the one to make the first move. Unfortunately, I often just can't do it. Worse, I sometimes react negatively to her initiating: her Directing style sounds bossy to me, and I resent it, wishing she'd take a softer approach.

The Thinking-vs-Feeling difference is another big factor. She regularly accuses me of not listening or not being able to follow instructions, and I regularly accuse her of being inconsiderate or uncooperative. When we were first married, I believed that rational T part of her was just a sham and that underneath she was of course a warm F-type person. I think I spent a few years expecting and assuming that she'd change (i.e., become more like me); and then I read Keirsey's book Please Understand Me II and learned that it wasn't gonna happen.

Finding things in common is always a challenge, and I think we've all but given up. She wants to learn something new all the time, while I'm more content with familiar routines. She's geekier than I am: she likes light science-fiction movies (even Marvel comics movies and such), while I'd normally prefer heavier drama (something she usually can't stand). But I'm not much into movies anyway, so I go along with her. If we go to see the X-Men or something, everybody probably assumes she's just going along with me, but actually it's the other way around. I watched the whole Babylon Five TV series only because she started watching it, and I wanted to sit with her. I had to go see Titanic by myself, though; she just wasn't interested. Same with Saving Private Ryan--but that's more understandable, as it's a guy movie.

We're both practically reclusive, though. Over the years we've gotten to where we kinda live separate lives in the same house, checking in with other frequently during the day. Right now, for instance, I'm upstairs in my den, typing this, and she's downstairs on the couch, reading a fantasy/sci-fi novel on her computer. But a couple hours ago we were out on the deck, grilling hamburgers and steaks together.

As to the Socionics "Benefit" relationship, that kinda makes sense, I guess, but it's a mostly unconscious thing. I certainly was never aware of seeking someone strong in Te. In fact, gender bias made me kind of assume all females were strong in F, not T. Yet, I was vaguely aware of being incompetent when it came to getting practical things done in the real world, so in the back of my mind I knew it'd be wonderful to have someone to help me in that area.

Sadly, I've also been painfully aware that I absolutely suck at most Se-related things (Se is my "point of least resistance" in Socionics). I've practically lived my whole life out of my body, so to speak. Hence, there's no way i can be of much use to my wife as far as providing an Se "boost." She dearly wishes for that, and maybe she'd have been happier with an ESTP or ESFP--but alas, she's stuck with me. (Similarly, I sometimes wish for a relationship with someone more emotional--maybe someone with strong Fe; and I once nearly crossed a line with a female friend who was perhaps an ENFJ.)

On the plus side, we love each other. Also we're in sync spiritually and politically; and we're both rather wary of the world, so we protect each other against life's bumps and stings. We get along well enough, but we still don't get each other half the time. But being puzzled about each other is part of what keeps things interesting.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting interaction set up there, Patrick; I'm, apparently, more of a Director and self-motivating when the boardom level gets too high. I also tend towards a lower threshold for BS, which affects my values and can make my relationships with other Fs more difficult. I still wonder if I might be too sensitive for the T girls; but unfortunately I don't run across them enough to be sure (they've never been able to scare me here).

I guess that goes to show how different we can all be - even within type.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry to drag this out of the deep... ;)

I could see possible problems arising from the stubbornness of the INTJ going up against the tendency of some INFPs to be indecisive. I've noticed that some INFPs (and Perceivers in general) tend to avoid conflict, which can be frustrating to Judging types. But then again, some Judgers love to be the ones to make all the decisions. It probably would depend on the couple.

I imagine both parties would have to be pretty persistent and dedicated, but it could work.

Persistent and dedicated, I could drink to that. I've dated a few women whom have not appreciated my indecisiveness; and, despite being a little rough around the edges for an INFP, I do still have my moments of being conflict adverse. Both tend to be solved, in my case, by knowing what I want more and using what I know of her to predict our discussions and have a decision or position ready - it's just arguing it that can be a little difficult or rambling now. ^_^;;

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I guess that goes to show how different we can all be - even within type.
Just checking here, but am I using type codes correctly in this forum? In my post above, I was using INFP and INTJ to refer to M-B types. But I notice your Socionics type is IEI ... and this form is called Intertype Relations, which has a Socionics ring to it, so ... are we talking about INFPs and INFJs here, or INFps and INTjs?

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an INFP man who's been married to an INTJ woman for twenty-eight years. We're both quite certain of our types, having done a lot of testing and reading and reflecting and discussing. [...snipped]

Great post. As an INFP male, I've wondered what an INTJ partner would be like.

[...]Sadly, I've also been painfully aware that I absolutely suck at most Se-related things (Se is my "point of least resistance" in Socionics). I've practically lived my whole life out of my body, so to speak. Hence, there's no way i can be of much use to my wife as far as providing an Se "boost." She dearly wishes for that, and maybe she'd have been happier with an ESTP or ESFP--but alas, she's stuck with me. (Similarly, I sometimes wish for a relationship with someone more emotional--maybe someone with strong Fe; and I once nearly crossed a line with a female friend who was perhaps an ENFJ.)[...]

Just a suggestion: Do something that works Si for you and Se for your wife. Try couples dancing--like Swing Dancing. As the Follower, your wife will get a good workout of her Se, enjoying the kinetics of the dance. Meantime, as the Leader you yourself will get a good workout for your Tertiary Si and your Inferior Te. Si will help you learn footwork patterns, and Te will help you arrange dance steps into fun, memorable routines as you progress.

I'm an INFP male and I do lots of couples dancing: Ballroom, Latin, Swing, pretty much everything. Like I say, it's a good Si and Te workout for me. And as I get older, I find a lot of enjoyment in sharpening those functions. I take a lot of pride in getting those functions up and running and being a good Leader. See my post here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/4964-dancing-7.html#post2382482

And I see INFPs and INTJs on the dance floor, so I'm definitely not the only one out there.

I recommend Swing because pretty much every mid-size town and up will have some Swing dancing somewhere. Also it attracts an older crowd than something like Salsa. You can find East Coast Swing in urban areas and Country Swing in rural areas. West Coast Swing is also doable, but sometimes that gets a younger crowd.

Any couples dance is good. But Swing is fast and spinning (good for Se) and has lots of programmed steps to learn (good for Si); you just string them together into longer routines (Te planning).

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Just checking here, but am I using type codes correctly in this forum? In my post above, I was using INFP and INTJ to refer to M-B types. But I notice your Socionics type is IEI ... and this form is called Intertype Relations, which has a Socionics ring to it, so ... are we talking about INFPs and INFJs here, or INFps and INTjs?

You're in the right place. This particular forum is for M-B INFPs and INTJs.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry to drag this out of the deep... ;)

Persistent and dedicated, I could drink to that. I've dated a few women whom have not appreciated my indecisiveness; and, despite being a little rough around the edges for an INFP, I do still have my moments of being conflict adverse. Both tend to be solved, in my case, by knowing what I want more and using what I know of her to predict our discussions and have a decision or position ready - it's just arguing it that can be a little difficult or rambling now. ^_^;;

I definitely feel that INTJs are better suited to INFPs than an ENTJ might be. I think an INTJ would be better equipped to understand the concerns of an INFP, and not to mention more willing to discuss those concerns in a way that will make an INFP feel safe. I know that the ENFP/INTJ pairing is more touted, but my observation is that (with rare exception) those relationships tend to deteriorate long-term, in spite of the intensity of of the initial attraction.

It's funny to hear INFPs described as "indecisive". My experience is that they're tolerant of things up to a point but are pretty definite when they hit their limit. I also found it hard to relate to how rigid INFPs I came to know well could be.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Benefactor relation has to be my left favorite interpersonal relationship type for romance.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's funny to hear INFPs described as "indecisive". My experience is that they're tolerant of things up to a point but are pretty definite when they hit their limit. I also found it hard to relate to how rigid INFPs I came to know well could be.
IMO, quite a few INFPs have Enneagram type Six (and I'm one of them). It's more common to see INFPs as Fours, Nines, or Ones (I've mistyped myself as all those at various times), but Six can fit. And Sixes are usually indecisive and always uncertain--but they can be rigid too, sticking to the rules.

Anyhow, Fi is a judging function, remember, and it's dominant for INFPs. We can be quite judgmental, even if we do show an easygoing Ne face to the world.

In addition, male INFPs like me often develop even more than their natural amount of stubbornness to put on a macho air, since society expects something more like an ESTJ personality in males.