• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP and INFJ Relationships

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Interpersonal Relationship Check-In and Feedback point:

I wanted to share with you Eck that my delay in responding was not due to me sitting here in front of my computer for a really long-ass time trying to figure-out what you were attempting to express. No.

Nothing about your message was confusing to me in any way.

But it was a joke :cry:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
When it’s working – What are the joys and positive aspects of these relationships?
- How compatible do you think these two types are in general? I tend to get along great with INFJs. I'm not a raging social extrovert. I'm more of a data extrovert (I can't stay in a room for a week as long as I keep busy. Quiet kills me. Am just as comfortable in a room full of new people - So I don't really harass INFJs acquaintances. Except sexually.)
- Why are they attracted to each other? Good question. Well many of my infj friends are just easy to talk to. And have interesting viewpoints.
- How to they compliment each other? ENTPs are quite good at complimenting themselves. I don't think they need more self-affirmation.
- How well do they understand each other and why? Tend to reach similar conclusions through different thought processes. I tend to be able to just read infjs really easily. Their claims to be mysterious cat ladies just makes me laugh. They're secretly fluffy
- What are they like together raising children? I wouldn't know

When it’s not working – What are the challenges when two people of this type are in a relationship?
- What are some of the communication challenges they can have? INFJ can take Ti as an attack, ENTP can see Fe as too emotional
- What are the biggest frustrations between these two types? I don't know?
- How can they take each other for granted? I guess infjs don't express their frustrations openly, so they have to be told 1000 times to just share instead of exploding at small things they never shared. INFJ can see the 'arguing' as an attack when it's an attempt to communicate from ENTP - the more we like you the more we debate with you
- What happens with things “go wrong” between these two types? INFJ doorslams, ENTP gets the fuck away

Advice for couples – What recommendations do you have?

- What things should each type do to facilitate better communication? entp learn to be more attuned to emotions and acknowledge them in an argument, and cut down on critique a bit at times. infj to acknowledge that when entp fixates on a point it's because he doesn't have the correct information, not because of pedantry
- What advice do you have for each of the two types? none at the moment. would take too long. Maybe to just take it easy
- If you are an ENTP, what advice do you have for the INFJs? In case of e7 entps getting 'negative' and 'whiny' it means there's something seriously wrong in their lives. They're just positive people so there has to be something seriously wrong for them not to be neutral or happy
- If you are an INFJ, what advice would you have for the ENTPs? *takes off ENTP mask*

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING FROM THIS THREAD...

BOLDED MENTIONS.

That is all. #FeelingSoISFPtoday

Uh[MENTION=26126]Huh[/MENTION]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you breeding an ENTP/INFJ master race?

Did an ex-nazi eugenicist reveal to you that they make INTJ babies and its all part of your 80-year world domination plan?
And what role does the forum play in that nefarious plan?

All questions left unanswered. Suspiciously so.

:shrug:

It's fun. A hobby.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
:shrug:

It's fun. A hobby.

To this day [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] didn't answer the allegations of eugenicism and cooperation with nazi sympathizing war criminals

Back to th studio
:coffee:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I take back what I said earlier. I think both of these types probably need time to develop their functions and would do better with each other in their thirties, but they have very complementary strengths.

Entps have a high tolerance for and interest in complex problems and if it's important to them, have the skills to allow the infj to feel understood and get them to verbalize their thoughts and feelings more easily as well as draw them out of themselves. They also are good at getting them to try new things that they wouldn't on their own and infjs appreciate someone who is able to do that.

Entps can quickly read people and get a grasp of what it is that motivates them. They also not just tolerate, but enjoy solving problems in the relationship and can be very creative with finding ways to develop new layers of meaning in the relationship. I think that with infjs, there is less pressure to always be "on", than there is around other people, partly because the entp has more to engage with, and because the infj wants to get to know more sides to them and shows an interest in that part of them rather than just the caricature version of them.

Infjs I think serve as a bit of a stabilizing force. Their Ni makes a nice counterpoint to the entp's ne and they see things in a novel way, which entps appreciate. They often can reach similar outcomes but get their in completely different ways, which both find interesting to investigate. I think infjs serve as a good sounding board for entps, which they often don't have, and allow for them to explore ideas and feelings in a way that rarely happens with others. I appreciate both cleverness and a bit of bluntness (not possessing either quality in the way they do), and I think entps like having someone recognize their strengths beyond solely their value as entertainers.

Both types are very reflective, and are in some ways self aware, but in other ways are not terribly aware of how they feel or operate emotionally. They are both better looking at others than themselves and so I think have something to offer one another in that regard.

I think over time, infjs could find the ne lack of stability and constant flux disconcerting and sometimes grow to distrust that what is true or promised in the moment will be true later on. Particularly with a family together, I could see how that would be difficult. I also think that infj's preference for stability and convergence in thinking could be rather stifling or alarming to an entp. I also wonder if their need to conserve emotional energy through prevention or avoidance of certain situations would be hard for an entp, who is can easily adjust on the fly.

I can see how an entp with poor character or who is dishonest could potentially wreak havoc in an infj, and an infj with avoidant tendencies and poor communication would also be disastrous. If both parties were both healthy and mature though, it seems that there are some good possibilities.

Overall, I'm a pretty big fan of this pairing under the right circumstances and think that if both parties are well developed, it has a lot of potential. A lot of problems that others might struggle with could be overcome.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Entps have a high tolerance for and interest in complex problems and if it's important to them, have the skills to allow the infj to feel understood and get them to verbalize their thoughts and feelings more easily as well as draw them out of themselves. They also are good at getting them to try new things that they wouldn't on their own and infjs appreciate someone who is able to do that.

Entps can quickly read people and get a grasp of what it is that motivates them. They also not just tolerate, but enjoy solving problems in the relationship and can be very creative with finding ways to develop new layers of meaning in the relationship. I think that with infjs, there is less pressure to always be "on", than there is around other people, partly because the entp has more to engage with, and because the infj wants to get to know more sides to them and shows an interest in that part of them rather than just the caricature version of them.

Good points. INFJs can be very private with who they really are. Seems to me that INFJs have ideas upon ideas swirling in their heads but find it difficult to verbalize sometimes what Ni is cooking up. I think INFJs tire and grow uncomfortable if they have to explain who they are to others. What works with ENxPs is exactly what you said. We have a knack for sizing up people with relative accuracy and 'get' them without having to be owed a deep exposure of their 'inner self.' A base understanding might quickly be formulated from the get-go which makes growing a relationship easier. It's nice to start a project with the right tools instead of the wrong ones.

Infjs I think serve as a bit of a stabilizing force. Their Ni makes a nice counterpoint to the entp's ne and they see things in a novel way, which entps appreciate. They often can reach similar outcomes but get their in completely different ways, which both find interesting to investigate. I think infjs serve as a good sounding board for entps, which they often don't have, and allow for them to explore ideas and feelings in a way that rarely happens with others. I appreciate both cleverness and a bit of bluntness (not possessing either quality in the way they do), and I think entps like having someone recognize their strengths beyond solely their value as entertainers.

I think ENTPs do the stabilizing for INFJs in this relationship actually. :coffee:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hm, yeah I thought about that and I think they provide different kinds of stability for one another. I don't have a huge experience base to draw from but I think infjs in some way not only offer some sober second thought, but also because by nature they are more staid maybe they serve as kite string holders for the entp. In my case at least, I can't fly myself, but I sure do love to be a part of the process.

I found that from an emotional point of view, it is extremely rare for me to be understood by someone or to feel listened to and I need to talk to even become aware of what I'm feeling. This entp at least was an exceptionally good friend to the few people he chose to invest deeply in and in my case, I often found myself responding with more emotion than I realized I felt as I talked with him about some things. He was good at listening without superimposing his own self or ideas or solutions, for which I was deeply grateful. It felt very natural and right to be emotionally naked in front of him in a way I rarely am with anyone, and I think he shared parts of himself with me that his other people don't often see either.

In both cases we were deeply interested in getting to know the other person, which few people really are. For both types, I think the process of talking helps spark new thinking or clarifies stuff about ourselves that we couldn't have arrived at without that process. Anyone who can do that for me is someone I will deeply appreciate and respect.

I think one of the main reasons I considered even the possibility of a relationship despite many strikes against it in practical terms was that he had anticipated how I would feel and looked at viable ways for how those factors could be addressed. He also put considerable thought into how he would make his feelings known in a way that would both appeal to me and be clear, yet indirect enough that it wasn't a big ultimatum or immediate decision. The fact that he knew me that well counted for a lot.

Metis

ENTPs I know have a great combination of enthusiasm and level-headed reasonability. I think it's the sexiest MBTI type, in a general sense. They're easy to get along with and relatively hard to offend; they tend to handle conflict and disagreement directly and matter-of-factly. That's a great quality to emulate.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
but also because by nature they are more staid maybe they serve as kite string holders for the entp. In my case at least, I can't fly myself, but I sure do love to be a part of the process.

Nice, I often use this metaphor too.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENTP's usually are alright, but they don't much care for moralization attempts, in my experiences. Also, the females seem to derp on how to transition into relationships. Usually goes well when just having a friendly, and open conversation.

ChrisFergusonFl

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
2x3
The way my ENTP mom and INFJ neighbor interact.

She pays him to cut the grass.

ChrisFergusonFl

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
2x3
Watch and learn...

No, no... The ENTP negotiates a free deal by walking outside with a glass of iced tea looking their best when the neighbor's yard is being mowed and waves at the mowerman, handing him the iced tea. Since nothing can be heard over the sound of the mower, the mowerman gestures at the ENTP's yard and the ENTP shakes her head yes. The neighbor's mower man drops what he's doing on the neighbor's yard and mows the ENTP's yard. The ENTP goes inside the house to retrieve a tip, gets side-tracked, and returns a half hour later and the mowerman is already gone. :D

I don't think it matters as long as the ENTP isn't under a lot of stress when you're doing it. If you think moralization helps the ENTP become a better version of themselves and excel at life, then moralize your heart out. I'm guessing they'll appreciate constructive advice.

Is there an INFJ translator in the house?

Super cool that you replied to my post, but I don't understand what you're trying to say. Sounds funny though. :happy2:

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Watch and learn...

No, no... The ENTP negotiates a free deal by walking outside with a glass of iced tea looking their best when the neighbor's yard is being mowed and waves at the mowerman, handing him the iced tea. Since nothing can be heard over the sound of the mower, the mowerman gestures at the ENTP's yard and the ENTP shakes her head yes. The neighbor's mower man drops what he's doing on the neighbor's yard and mows the ENTP's yard. The ENTP goes inside the house to retrieve a tip, gets side-tracked, and returns a half hour later and the mowerman is already gone. :D

I don't think it matters as long as the ENTP isn't under a lot of stress when you're doing it. If you think moralization helps the ENTP become a better version of themselves and excel at life, then moralize your heart out. I'm guessing they'll appreciate constructive advice.

Is there an INFJ translator in the house?

Well, lemme rephrase that. They don't like learning morality by positive or negative punishment, but rather by positive or negative reinforcement. Maybe it's simply positive or negative, though. Hadn't thought about it that much before, but they definitely don't do well with positive punishment in my experiences.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, lemme rephrase that. They don't like learning morality by positive or negative punishment, but rather by positive or negative reinforcement. Maybe it's simply positive or negative, though. Hadn't thought about it that much before, but they definitely don't do well with positive punishment in my experiences.

Explain positive punishment...i read S&M. Ball gag, whip, torture through pleasure. :shrug: