• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP and INFJ Relationships

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
ENTPs and INFJs can be excellent matches because they are both creative free-spirits, and tend to be somewhat eccentric. The two sympathize with each other as rebels against the norm and develop a close friendship out of this. The ENTP is especially valuable in this relationship because of their desire to please, which the oft-depressed INFJ responds well to. The INFJ's value comes from their devoted support of loved ones, which brings healing to the ENTP's (usually hidden) emotional wounds, whose creative ideas are frequently met with criticism and rejection.

The relationship is not without it's problems. For starters, ENTPs and INFJs tend to have opposing personal values. The former values progress, efficiency, and collectivism, whereas the latter values truth-seeking, ideals, and individuality. If the gap between the couple is wide enough, this will cause no end of problems and interpersonal turmoil for them. It's the biggest and most difficult issue that the ENTP/INFJ pairing faces. Another one is the hidden but fierce competitiveness that lurks beneath the surface of these two types. Neither INFJs nor ENTPs are good losers, and when it does happen, they erupt on the inside with bitter fury, beginning to see their partner as an antagonist rather than a companion.

I'm not really sure if there's any advice I could give to ENTP/INFJ couples, since I have never been in a relationship myself. But the universal good idea for relationships is to always put your partner before yourself; never seen a couple fail while doing that.

Permabanned

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Z Buck's ammonia and bleach analogy struck a chord with me. I don't even have enough experience to say with certainty that that is the case between the two types, but I think it it valid to say

1) it's likely that INFJs will often share commonalities in their reactions to certain traits, even if certain traits are not inherently bad.

2) the experiences of both types, while not accurately representing the experience of every INFJ/ENTP pair, could form a broader, more complete picture for someone considering the romantic possibilities of the pairing. Whether someone feels those impressions are fair or not, they do represent that person's experience base, which can be informative in a variety of ways.

I guess what I'm saying is that neither type is on trial, but if multiple people experience the same difficulties with the pairing, that is useful information.

Last edited:

Starry

How many people are having Easter egg decorating parties today...huh? Huh? <-ENPs are that's who. Putting priorities in the proper order since the dawn of priorities.

"If, of thy mortal goods, thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store two loaves alone
to thee are left,
Sell one...and with the dole,
Buy Hyacinths to feed the soul"

- Muslihuddin Sadi,
13th Century Persian Poet

Going back to this first (because I found it grating- I feel like something is being read between the lines):

I don't really understand how it seems like I'm putting forth a double standard. Does it seem like I am implying somehow that Ne is quantitatively more oppressive/stifling to Ni than Fe is to Fi (and etc)? I know I'm not thinking it, so I don't see how I could be implying it. I feel a perpetual frustration that (some) Ne types in this forum seem oblivious to the fact that Ne can be every bit as stifling/imposing as Te or Fe- but I don't have a similar bias towards Fe.

Case in point (I really can't tell if you're being hyperbolic to be sardonic/add humor or if you really believe Fe and Te are more stifling in some objectively quantifiable way- I assume it's the former, but I do think the latter is heavy bias problem in this forum):

I know I sure as hell regard it as a 'true extraverted function'- that's kinda my whole thing here.

Generally when I have a bad reaction to something said about Fe- it's either because a tendency is being wildly exaggerated (and no acknowledgment will be made to that effect when the exaggeration is pointed out), something is being attributed to Fe that doesn't seem Fe (in a way tantamount to the "Thanks Obama" meme), or because it seems like some weird motivation is being projected (like this thing about believing 'the group' should all feel the same thing....I have yet to see a Fe dom actually say 'yes, that's what's going on'). But the notion that Fe can stifle Fi? I have no objection to that. In fact, if Fi types could consistently post observable behaviors (instead of posting their projections of what those behaviors mean) that would be INCREDIBLY helpful, as a Fe person, in knowing how to stop being stifling. But it usually comes out as projection/assumptions and that's where things go sour.

I'm not entirely sure which statements you are referring to when you mention at the top of this quote "reading between the lines..." (I'll just go ahead and share this secret: I have enough trouble just reading the lines themselves on this forum haha! No, seriously...everything you just wrote is exactly my meaning.

I'd like to briefly mention that you won't find a whole lot of me speaking poorly about Fe on this forum beyond what I believe to be obviously exaggerated attempts at poking fun. In fact, some of what you and I have touched on here from our personal exchanges... stems from an interaction where I was defending Fe and its value (<-which I have done a good number of times...to which all the INFJs are like "Starry, from the bottom of all of our hearts - thank you for seeing Fe's worth and for speaking out on that on our behalf...even in the face of significant resistance. Or maybe that doesn't happen haha.) Anyway, I wanted to identify myself as one of the Ne doms that sees Ne as just as extroverted and oppressive as Fe. Hello everyone, hi. My name is Starry and it's been three weeks since the last time I've oppressed others with Ne..."

The quote you referenced of mine in this regard... requesting understanding and a bit of a pardon for Ne... <-I made this same plea in your blog on behalf of Fe. What I have said many times is that the extroverted functions exist in the present...alert, alive...looking out over the horizon. They remain mindful in the moment of purpose and potential so to deal actively and immediately with direction and/or challenges in an effort to secure the best possible outcomes for the whole. And this is a drive...an instinct...as opposed to an aspect of self that the individual has worked towards developing and subsequently possess more of an awareness of and control over the specific qualities.

This sense of moving everyone forward towards each "greatest of goods" or "best possible outcomes and our survival and well being..." this is something the native will feel compelled to do whether there is a conscious awareness of the ongoing mission or not. And since they deal with survival and well-being in the more immediate sense...they are wired to push-up against resistance. Heck, I'm thinking some persuasive person could argue that they are wired to "resort to temporary negative [behaviors and actions] if it insures future safety and goodness for as many as possible."

Yes, there are times I experience the "holy fuck where'd you come from oppressive Fe and what do you want with me?" And it helps to appreciate the intention rather than focusing on everything you are about to lose haha no. But assuming the individual is well meaning I try to appreciate the purpose...the desired outcome. Or with my Mom...appreciating that the manipulation, imagined reality that is being forced upon you... and the self-centeredness disguised as altruism by way of unknown and miraculous forces...might not be that but something meant for good (haha god I hope you know I'm exaggerating for fun and because I don't really know what I'm saying.)

Obviously it is easier to empathize with pushy examples of our own extroverted functions... but I sometimes think I'm seeing INFJs here acknowledge Fe as oppressive...and when dealing with a specific person suggest/conclude "they mean well." And yet these same well-meaning qualities are not easily extended to Ne. Ne dom/aux are willfully executing these horrendous actions and behaviors due to sociopathic tendencies and a desire to exploit humankind.

The primary point I've been attempting to make is HELLS YES I want you to see Ne as an extroverted function and oppressive.
I want it to be acknowledged as a legitimate function that has a greater purpose than merely providing fun and games or ...when in a bad way...consciously draining others. {edit: I didn't construct this paragraph properly and it's all over the place but I just can't correct it because I don't really have the time} feel a sense of empathy for why Ne exists...how it kept us alive...how sometimes survival is dependent on someone that refuses to retreat in the face of a challenge...that doesn't give up easily if the solution isn't easily had but rather pushes and assesses...pushes and assesses until (there is actually theories out there which hold that attention deficit "disorder" was an advantageous mutation that was then selected and evolved because having this kind of thinker around increased survival in significant ways. Let's make March 22..."Hug a tribal medicine man/woman that has the advantageous condition we call ADD and ADHD in today's world."

I just think it is strange to do things like suggest Ni withdrawal is an involuntary process...while Ne's pushing and rapid problem solving is not instinctual but rather something we could control if we were better people...not lazy exploiters of the kind-hearted...etc. That's all.

I will need to return to respond to the rest.

seradane

MBTI Type
INFJ
As an INFJ dating an ENTP for 3+ years, I think we make a really compatible match. I can't really speak much for what an INFJ brings to the table for an ENTP, but I can say in direct contrast to my last relationship (INFP), the ENTP personality is very good for me.

My ENTP has an unending well of enthusiasm and energy. He breaks my inertia, sometimes by coaxing, sometimes by nagging, and drags me into doing something, anything, usually what he terms "an adventure". He is very talkative, makes friends easily and unconsciously commands conversations even when he's the new person in a group of well-established friends. He is a mix of chaos (messy, disorganised, unpredictable) and responsibility (he makes me breakfast every morning, gets me out of the house on time and makes me go do the exercise that I totally need to do but can't be bothered with right now). I think when he is 'looking after' someone he is quite responsible and caring, however when it's about himself it's just not important.

Interestingly, he claims I'm the super-confident one and the outgoing one, wheras I think the exact same thing about him. I think perhaps that is because we both have something the other lacks (external talkativeness/internal composure). He believes he's not extraverted at all, because "I like alone time too", but he can't deny that the ENTP description fits him to a T. I love just sitting and talking to him, because I find him hilarious and interesting and above all really easy to talk to, and running through ideas and possibilities and futures is fun, because we both love to explore the possibilities.

I think we both look after each other in differing ways.. I keep him (somewhat) organised, grounded and curb some of his negative habits, he makes sure I remember to eat a proper meal and not stay up hours past my bedtime, and hands me a glass of wine and runs me a bath when I'm feeling down. He used to feel guilty about leaving me alone to go off and do activities with his friends - it took me a while to convince him I'm perfectly happy chilling by myself for a while!

The downsides: He occasionally gets into a 'lecturing' mode, where he gets onto a topic and gets stuck on it. I might agree, or disagree, at first, but eventually I run out of things to say in response, so I go quiet, and he keeps talking, talking, talking, until I feel like I'm being beaten over the head with it. Often it's because he doesn't think I understand what he's trying to get across. I do, I either disagree (and am not going to just agree with him because he keeps making the same points at me), or I agree with him, yet he feels like I'm saying that to shut him up and don't really agree. I haven't quiet figured out a way to tactfully get across that he's doing it yet, usually it ends up with a short argument, some tears on my behalf, and then we both drop it.

In fact, I think our conflict resolution is our weakest point. We don't argue or get upset with each other easily, and I think we're both fairly good at forgiveness and admitting we were wrong, so nobody is holding any grudges, however when things do go south, we perhaps make things worse than they would otherwise be by slightly differing communication styles.

When he is upset, he gets angry, and I tend to be an emotional sponge, so I often feel slightly upset too. This doesn't really help calm him down. Otherwise, I just feel lost, like I don't know how to help him.

He says he gets frustrated when people get teary and won't explain themselves, which is exactly how I react when I get upset or mad. Fortunately, for the most part when he's not upset himself, he is actually quite good at coaxing me out of my shell and not letting it be until I come out with it. And I always feel better once I manage to explain myself, however poorly.

So in terms of what we could do better/advice - ENTP: Be patient, we're trying to get it out. Feel free to nudge, in fact, please do, just make sure you're encouraging and supportive or we'll clam up further. :) I'm not sure how to solve the lecturing thing, I'll get back to you on that!

Mane

Permabanned
In relationships, people hurt each other. In the long term I don't think that's avoidable, all you can do is to aspire to not do so and trust the other person to do the same, and part of this means having the ability to bring the hurt to the table and negotiate an understanding so it doesn't happen in the future.

I noticed that with self-described INFJs, one of two things happen:
- "I am sorry I did that, I don't know what is wrong with me, why am I such a terrible person!"
- "I would never do that, how dare you suggest that, the very idea is just ugly and devaluing!"

In both of those cases, I feel there's a sense that the "self" is a static object that they feel they have no control over, that they do the best they could and that it needs to be devalued or defended as-is, which is ironic, because these very people tend to have better self discipline then anyone else I've known. I understand the desire to be liked and loved, and wanting to view yourself as someone worthy of love, and how it would hurt if a person you have grown to love and expect love from would describe you in a way that doesn't fit your ideals for yourself. But I am having trouble understanding the view of the self as a static object to began with. Don't we all remember days we understood less about how we effect our environment then we do now? Can't today be such a day?

Unfortunately, so far trying to communicate that has the opposite effect of what I intend and makes them feel even worst about themselves, soaking further into a sense of helplessness, either getting more self flagellation or more defensively self righteous. When I want a behavior with negative consequences to change, the goal is not to degrade their self esteem, the goal is to stop the negative effect it has (On me, on others, and in the case of people I love, more often then not on themselves), and to build a trust that they understand how what it does and will try not to do it. For me, when someone I care about accuses me of ill behavior that effects them negatively, I inspect it in terms of the behavior itself - did I not understand how it would effect them? What were the circumstances? Should I avoid doing this in the future? What should I do next time? These are all in terms of the behavior, the choice I made. There were many possibilities and I chose one, now I get to learn from that better understanding how that choice effects others so I can make better choices in the future.

I don't know if this is a type thing, a function thing, a question of maturity or just a part of being human that I have somehow managed to miss out on (Or maybe even unaware when I do it myself), but until I know how to overcome this, I don't think I could consider a serious romantic relationship with someone who thinks like that, even when there is some very clear chemistry. I don't want to fall in love with someone just to see them get hurt and question their entire self worth whenever there's an issue, I don't want to be in a relationship with dozens of unresolved issues I couldn't bring up because it would do nothing but hurt them, I certainly don't want someone I love to undermine the validity of how the consequences of their behaviors effected me because the very idea of hurting someone they care about threatens their entire sense of self worth, nor do I want a fleeting disposable relationship that is only good as long as nothing comes up.

That's said, I reserve judgement about this on a case by case basis, preferably after I get to know someone but before getting involved romantically.

Inarius

MBTI Type
ENTP
As an INFJ dating an ENTP for 3+ years, I think we make a really compatible match. I can't really speak much for what an INFJ brings to the table for an ENTP, but I can say in direct contrast to my last relationship (INFP), the ENTP personality is very good for me.

My ENTP has an unending well of enthusiasm and energy. He breaks my inertia, sometimes by coaxing, sometimes by nagging, and drags me into doing something, anything, usually what he terms "an adventure". He is very talkative, makes friends easily and unconsciously commands conversations even when he's the new person in a group of well-established friends. He is a mix of chaos (messy, disorganised, unpredictable) and responsibility (he makes me breakfast every morning, gets me out of the house on time and makes me go do the exercise that I totally need to do but can't be bothered with right now). I think when he is 'looking after' someone he is quite responsible and caring, however when it's about himself it's just not important.

Interestingly, he claims I'm the super-confident one and the outgoing one, wheras I think the exact same thing about him. I think perhaps that is because we both have something the other lacks (external talkativeness/internal composure). He believes he's not extraverted at all, because "I like alone time too", but he can't deny that the ENTP description fits him to a T. I love just sitting and talking to him, because I find him hilarious and interesting and above all really easy to talk to, and running through ideas and possibilities and futures is fun, because we both love to explore the possibilities.

I think we both look after each other in differing ways.. I keep him (somewhat) organised, grounded and curb some of his negative habits, he makes sure I remember to eat a proper meal and not stay up hours past my bedtime, and hands me a glass of wine and runs me a bath when I'm feeling down. He used to feel guilty about leaving me alone to go off and do activities with his friends - it took me a while to convince him I'm perfectly happy chilling by myself for a while!

The downsides: He occasionally gets into a 'lecturing' mode, where he gets onto a topic and gets stuck on it. I might agree, or disagree, at first, but eventually I run out of things to say in response, so I go quiet, and he keeps talking, talking, talking, until I feel like I'm being beaten over the head with it. Often it's because he doesn't think I understand what he's trying to get across. I do, I either disagree (and am not going to just agree with him because he keeps making the same points at me), or I agree with him, yet he feels like I'm saying that to shut him up and don't really agree. I haven't quiet figured out a way to tactfully get across that he's doing it yet, usually it ends up with a short argument, some tears on my behalf, and then we both drop it.

In fact, I think our conflict resolution is our weakest point. We don't argue or get upset with each other easily, and I think we're both fairly good at forgiveness and admitting we were wrong, so nobody is holding any grudges, however when things do go south, we perhaps make things worse than they would otherwise be by slightly differing communication styles.

When he is upset, he gets angry, and I tend to be an emotional sponge, so I often feel slightly upset too. This doesn't really help calm him down. Otherwise, I just feel lost, like I don't know how to help him.

He says he gets frustrated when people get teary and won't explain themselves, which is exactly how I react when I get upset or mad. Fortunately, for the most part when he's not upset himself, he is actually quite good at coaxing me out of my shell and not letting it be until I come out with it. And I always feel better once I manage to explain myself, however poorly.

So in terms of what we could do better/advice - ENTP: Be patient, we're trying to get it out. Feel free to nudge, in fact, please do, just make sure you're encouraging and supportive or we'll clam up further. :) I'm not sure how to solve the lecturing thing, I'll get back to you on that!

I am an ENTP, and has been living with the same INFJ for 8 years, and I could have written every words of this post above, but from the other perspective.
With time, I learned (and loved to learn something so different) to TRUST Ni, nearly as a result of my own mind, and not just as vague impression.
It took time to accept that these unproved insights were the RESULT of a different way of thinking and not just "impressions" like I can have someday. My ideas come very easily, and, with them, logical explanations. She has her own way. I respect that.

About lecturing, I would be happy to give you a solution...but...i fear that...i'm doing the same. I try very hard not to, but sometimes I can't help. Sometimes, I just stop in the middle of a "lecturing" being suddenly aware what I'm doing. But it's very frustrating NOT to finish !

seradane

MBTI Type
INFJ
I noticed that with self-described INFJs, one of two things happen:
- "I am sorry I did that, I don't know what is wrong with me, why am I such a terrible person!"
- "I would never do that, how dare you suggest that, the very idea is just ugly and devaluing!"

I was about to object, as I think your above descriptions are misleading and exaggerated, but upon further reading I figured out you were saying that INFJs feel that when someone is unhappy with what they've done, it feels like a personal criticism, which the INFJ will respond to with either denial or will absorb the criticism fully into their self-esteem.

I don't think it's necessarily always that extreme (I feel like I am happy to accept when I am wrong, and also feel for the most part reasonably confident in my self, opinions may however differ) but I do agree that criticisms and judgments from others do often feel like an attack on my inner self, which can be crushing. Objectively, my logical side knows it is the behaviour only they are referring to, but as the behaviour is the extension of the self, does it not make sense that it should reflect back on who you are? They say actions speak louder than words, etc etc.

This is another reason why my ENTP is good for me - I tend to hide from criticism, would rather hang back than face being exposed, and admitting my own faults sometimes feels as painful as peeling the skin from my body. He freely admits his faults, is breathtakingly honest about darker parts of his past, and doesn't shy away from sensitive questions.

It helps me to realise that's it's not so bad, not so scary. Sometimes admitting faults and mistakes can be freeing, and I don't have to deal with them all myself. I'm still getting there though.

In both of those cases, I feel there's a sense that the "self" is a static object that they feel they have no control over, that they do the best they could and that it needs to be devalued or defended as-is.

How is the self not static? We grow, sure, we mature, but the core of what we are, simply is. I do not believe people deviate much from their baseline personality, barring catastrophic events or mental illness.

I am an ENTP, and has been living with the same INFJ for 8 years, and I could have written every words of this post above, but from the other perspective.

Glad you can relate! I'd love to hear more from the ENTP side of things.

About lecturing, I would be happy to give you a solution...but...i fear that...i'm doing the same. I try very hard not to, but sometimes I can't help. Sometimes, I just stop in the middle of a "lecturing" being suddenly aware what I'm doing. But it's very frustrating NOT to finish !

Yep my ENTP tells me the same! My problem is that it doesn't seem like there is a finish! :p

We can't always rely on you guys always picking up when you're doing it, as I'm sure from your side there's sometimes not much difference between a debate and a lecture (I find the former can turn into the other without notice sometimes), so there's got to be a way to gently let you guys know that it's going down that path before it gets upsetting, ha. So you guys get to conclude your arguments before we get cranky. :p

Mane

Permabanned
How is the self not static? We grow, sure, we mature, but the core of what we are, simply is. I do not believe people deviate much from their baseline personality, barring catastrophic events or mental illness.

For the most part I disagree. Mental illness does the opposite - create areas of behavior that are nearly impossible for people to change, even when those areas are harmful to themselves and to their lives, which is why we view them as mental ill in the first place. The human mind is extremely malleable with some parts more stable then others - the more static elements tend to be a bit meta, not in the personality characteristics themselves so much as motivations and the processing of information which shapes how you grow and change in reaction to what's around you, though to some extent even your motivations can be shaped by new rewarding experiences as well as by further introspection.

The motivation to do better by someone you care about is probably a more stable part of your core personality. The execution of that motivation depends on what you know of the other person, and when issues come up in a relationship you get to learn how to better execute it. You get to be better then you were the day before. The same is true for work environments which are largely based on skills and working knowledge, navigating social environments changed based on your understanding of social dynamics, etc. When it comes to execution, growth in your understanding translates into growth in how your personality manifests.

This is another reason why my ENTP is good for me - I tend to hide from criticism, would rather hang back than face being exposed, and admitting my own faults sometimes feels as painful as peeling the skin from my body. He freely admits his faults, is breathtakingly honest about darker parts of his past, and doesn't shy away from sensitive questions.

It helps me to realise that's it's not so bad, not so scary. Sometimes admitting faults and mistakes can be freeing, and I don't have to deal with them all myself. I'm still getting there though.

That sounds like an extremely positive dynamic you two have going. Cheers for you two :cheers:

Inarius

MBTI Type
ENTP

Yes, that's exactly this. Accepting faults, and mistakes, and going on.

What can I say from "my" perspective (I can't think of myself being like all ENTP and her like all INFJ, but what you describe seems sometimes very similar) ?
I "know" most of the "real" her, and what bothers her inside, but it took years for me. Perhaps...well, at least 5. And at least 3 at the beginning to accept her like she was. But she still amazes me. Sometimes I am overthinking sometimes, and when I give her my idea about something, she has just this sharp "well...that was obvious !". Or when she senses that someone is ill-disposed and manipulative, and tells everyone so, but nobody believes her. And weeks after, when it is too late, some people come and tell her..."oohh, you were right, i'm sorry i didn't believe you before". But she doesn't care of their apology, because she didn't tell them this to be right, but because she had to tell them.

Someday, she is my real hero. For me, ENTP, I always sense that I lack morality. But she can, like i always say when I make fun of her, "pick up a forgotten flag, fallen in the dirt and covered with blood, and brandish it once again", even lost cause. She can fight for a real cause, selflessly, risks her position, facing her shyness and the her fear of public speaking, because it is what she has to do. That's what I call being a hero.
I also nicknamed her "Cassandre" because she always knows, but is never believed, because the WAY she expresses it isn't accepted/understood by regular people (when I'm always trusted even when I lie). Even if they recognize her being generous, mostly right, hard worker, selfless, good leader etc.,

Actually, I'm often stressed by her situation, because i can't control it. Her world is full of enemy, people who don't like her (because she always tells the truth, and sense (and tell it) when they don't). It can be very frustrating for an ENTP NOT to be able to FIX things, to help. So I try to take care of her, and when we talk and walk together, I always find a way to make her smile, laugh and many times we laugh like crazy, me like a clown. I know/think this is important for her, and, well, I'm good at it.
With her friends it's always very complicated. Not because they don't like me, but she is quite reserved generally, and if i talk "normaly" (doing the show), I can't help but think that I "steal" her friends.

About debate//lecturing, it's true. When I "lecture", it's because I want to be contradicted, to have a debate. If nobody contradicts me I won't stop. I want that somebody proves me that I am wrong, and then I can take this opinion and make it mine, and be closer from the truth, the knowledge. But for you, Good and righteousness is more important than being wrong. That is the only times we can quarrel, actually.

And about the fact that I am very (very) talkative, it's because it helps me to focus on what I am doing. It's like...a second memory. I talk, and at the same time I think, and what I am saying is like in another part of my brain, so I can continue to think and use what I just said like if it was a written note.

seradane

MBTI Type
INFJ
I also nicknamed her "Cassandre" because she always knows, but is never believed, because the WAY she expresses it isn't accepted/understood by regular people (when I'm always trusted even when I lie)

It's not fair! :laugh:

Actually, I'm often stressed by her situation, because i can't control it. Her world is full of enemy, people who don't like her (because she always tells the truth, and sense (and tell it) when they don't). It can be very frustrating for an ENTP NOT to be able to FIX things, to help. So I try to take care of her, and when we talk and walk together, I always find a way to make her smile, laugh and many times we laugh like crazy, me like a clown. I know/think this is important for her, and, well, I'm good at it.

And that's why ENTPs are the best. Although they're supposed to be chaotic and irresponsible, they somehow manage to be all that and yet also be big softies who deep down are all cuddles and nurturing (not that they'd ever admit it in public). :)

With her friends it's always very complicated. Not because they don't like me, but she is quite reserved generally, and if i talk "normaly" (doing the show), I can't help but think that I "steal" her friends.

Haha, yes, this is the same for us. I don't talk a lot in groups, and he jumps right in with my friends. Personally, I can say I don't mind at all. I actually really appreciate that he gets along so easily with all of my people.

About debate//lecturing, it's true. When I "lecture", it's because I want to be contradicted, to have a debate. If nobody contradicts me I won't stop. I want that somebody proves me that I am wrong, and then I can take this opinion and make it mine, and be closer from the truth, the knowledge. But for you, Good and righteousness is more important than being wrong. That is the only times we can quarrel, actually.

Hmm, interesting, the need to be contradicted? I haven't seen it in that light before. From my perspective it feels like he is trying to convince me of something - but obviously when I stop and agree he just keeps going, it doesn't resolve it, so that makes a certain amount of sense!

For the most part I disagree. Mental illness does the opposite - create areas of behavior that are nearly impossible for people to change, even when those areas are harmful to themselves and to their lives, which is why we view them as mental ill in the first place. The human mind is extremely malleable with some parts more stable then others - the more static elements tend to be a bit meta, not in the personality characteristics themselves so much as motivations and the processing of information which shapes how you grow and change in reaction to what's around you, though to some extent even your motivations can be shaped by new rewarding experiences as well as by further introspection.

The motivation to do better by someone you care about is probably a more stable part of your core personality. The execution of that motivation depends on what you know of the other person, and when issues come up in a relationship you get to learn how to better execute it. You get to be better then you were the day before. The same is true for work environments which are largely based on skills and working knowledge, navigating social environments changed based on your understanding of social dynamics, etc. When it comes to execution, growth in your understanding translates into growth in how your personality manifests.

I agree that as you grow and learn, you are able to navigate the world more successfully and effectively. But I believe those come about by more fully understanding your core self. You may be more or less aware of what it is doing, but it is always there.

For example, I know I have a tendency to get stuck doing what I am doing - be it watching TV, playing games, whatever. So when someone asks me to do something less fun that I need to do, a chore, or whatever, I have learned I have to get up and do it right then, or I will get distracted by what I am doing, forget I got asked, and never end up doing it, no matter how good my intentions. So from the outside it appears I have gotten more productive, less lazy, whatever, whereas in truth it is a result of my more accurate understanding of myself, that I will always have that tendency, and thus I have figured out a way to work around it.

Perhaps our difference of opinion is an E/I difference, we approach from within, you approach from without, so it makes sense you feel that the external world shapes you, wheras I feel the opposite! (In any case we may be getting a bit off topic! :))

Mane

Permabanned
Hmm, interesting, the need to be contradicted? I haven't seen it in that light before. From my perspective it feels like he is trying to convince me of something - but obviously when I stop and agree he just keeps going, it doesn't resolve it, so that makes a certain amount of sense!

He is exactly right - I've been in the same situation. This sometimes creates a funny but potentially destructive miscommunication: When something bothers me, and I really want a way to disprove it or find a way to solve it, precisely because I don't want to accept it as an unchangeable fact, I end up going over it again and again in my head and repeating it. The repetition is then interpreted by the INFJ as conviction, which to the INFJ suggests I really want to believe that it is an unchangeable fact.
Another part is that the repetition might be clearer to Ni doms then it is to other people, because while they get distracted about the issue getting looked at from a different angle, for Ni doms its petty clear the point is still the same.

I agree that as you grow and learn, you are able to navigate the world more successfully and effectively. But I believe those come about by more fully understanding your core self. You may be more or less aware of what it is doing, but it is always there.

For example, I know I have a tendency to get stuck doing what I am doing - be it watching TV, playing games, whatever. So when someone asks me to do something less fun that I need to do, a chore, or whatever, I have learned I have to get up and do it right then, or I will get distracted by what I am doing, forget I got asked, and never end up doing it, no matter how good my intentions. So from the outside it appears I have gotten more productive, less lazy, whatever, whereas in truth it is a result of my more accurate understanding of myself, that I will always have that tendency, and thus I have figured out a way to work around it.

Perhaps our difference of opinion is an E/I difference, we approach from within, you approach from without, so it makes sense you feel that the external world shapes you, wheras I feel the opposite! (In any case we may be getting a bit off topic! :))

Learning yourself is definitely part of the process, though I wouldn't call it "the core self". I tend to evaluate people according to their actions, so when the actions change, so does the person. A simple equivalent to this can be found in studies conducted on online education programs. While in the past it was thought that if someone has a difficulty in a subject they aren't as good in the subject, online education shows that different people have different points of difficulty, and when given a chance to run at their own pace instead of loosing a basic building block in understanding additional material, will overcome these difficulties and will then catch up swiftly with others who started studying the same time they did, in part because eventually others will reach their own hiccups. Could this points of difficulties really be considered part of the "core self" once they are overcome? What if instead of math or psychology or particle physics, this body of knowledge was "ethics", "relationship know how", "dealing with anxieties", and so on, and the education program was... Life itself. Would the hiccups be considered part of the core self then?

Anyway, if this is besides the topic for you, that is perfectly understandable, you are currently in an INFJ/ENTP relationship so you can speak better to the benefits of one. It is personally relevant for me because it is the main obstacle to considering a relationship with someone who thinks like that, and it's a problem on my mind because rejecting relationship opportunities with people I have extremely good chemistry with is... Not fun. That's clearly not the case for all ENTPs, was not the case for me in the past prior to figuring this out, and who knows, it might not be the case for me in the future.

Inarius

MBTI Type
ENTP
but obviously when I stop and agree he just keeps going, it doesn't resolve it, so that makes a certain amount of sense!
I can't speak for your friend, but for me, when my friend tell me that she agrees, I always think "does she says this because I annoy her or because she thinks the same?" and secondly "do we think the same because of the same reason ?"

Actually, it's more important for me to debate than to convince. I'm not an INTJ who wants that the point is settled. I like debating, and I am not searching to tell you you are wrong. I want to understand you, why you are thinking this. Telling me you are right is good for INTJ (more ISTJ, I think, because an INTJ will think you are telling this because you don't want to listen), I WANT you not the agree with me, so that we can debate ! A DEBATE PLEASE ! Of course this sounds like he wanting to convince you. This is the point of a debate, trying to convince. But the important part is convincing, not being "right" (considering that truth exists, which can be debated, anyway :) )

seradane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Could this points of difficulties really be considered part of the "core self" once they are overcome? What if instead of math or psychology or particle physics, this body of knowledge was "ethics", "relationship know how", "dealing with anxieties", and so on, and the education program was... Life itself. Would the hiccups be considered part of the core self then?

I would say yes - if you have to learn "dealing with anxieties" in the first place, then those anxieties are likely to always be there... maybe more or less, but although you have learned to overcome them, when you go do something different, learn something different, you are always going to run into a point where your anxieties threaten to derail you.. they may not win, because you have figured out how to manage them, but they will always be there.

If you struggle with learning when someone's talking at you, without being able to interact, then you may eventually figure out you have to write things down, and then get a friend to talk you through it later, or something. Once you've figured that out, and implemented that, your performance improves, and you no longer appear to be struggling - but that doesn't mean the initial hiccup has gone away, it just means you are working around it.

It's like performers who have a fear of being on stage, in the public eye... you'd never know it from their performances, but every time, before they get on stage, they have to steel themselves, trick themselves into thinking 'it's not so bad', bite the bullet and just go for it. That doesn't just go away once they've learned how to push past it. It might get a little easier, or their methods for dragging themselves up their get more effective, but they will never be that person who can breeze up their effortlessly without sweating a few bullets first.

Of course, that being said, there are certainly some superficial 'habits' which are learned behaviours that are certainly not static, and people can overcome bad ones and learn good ones, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

Anyway, if this is besides the topic for you, that is perfectly understandable, you are currently in an INFJ/ENTP relationship so you can speak better to the benefits of one. It is personally relevant for me because it is the main obstacle to considering a relationship with someone who thinks like that, and it's a problem on my mind because rejecting relationship opportunities with people I have extremely good chemistry with is... Not fun. That's clearly not the case for all ENTPs, was not the case for me in the past prior to figuring this out, and who knows, it might not be the case for me in the future.

Ah, fair enough, I was just pointing out that on the surface it is a debate about the self, which although informative, is not quite relevant to the topic at hand - but if we can bring it back to the relationship being discussed, then certainly.

But to that I would say: I don't think type theory is a particularly good indicator of relationship success or otherwise. To limit a relationship with someone because of their type would be closing yourself off to a lot of the joy and self-education that exists in getting to know another person, compatible or not.

Firstly, almost every type is going to have habits that annoy you, ways of thinking that baffle you, manners that rub you the wrong way, whatever. Every person has their flaws and downsides. Many with nothing to do with type. There's no getting away from that.

But every 'flaw' also comes in a sliding scale from extreme to minor. Using INFJs as an example and going back to your initial comment, since that's an easy example on hand, if you are to criticise their action, their reaction could be anywhere from: "OMG Why are you always so mean to me! You obviously don't love me anymore and think I'm an awful person and I'm going to curl up in a ball and sob until you apologise!" anywhere to "Well, I'm doing this action because of <explanation of some reason of self>, but I can see it bothers you so I'll try to be better at that in future, or maybe we can figure out some way inbetween."

Naturally, the former would be very difficult for any partner to deal with, and is likely to get very old very quickly. The latter would be something you could work with, take steps together to resolve the point of contention - and thus though it might bother you, it can be managed. (And most of us are somewhere in between those two extremes, I'll grant!). Yet on paper, both are INFJs, they would both agree they have the same flaw.

Anyway really it's not about finding someone that doesn't bother you - it's about finding someone that bothers you in ways that doesn't have you tearing your hair out from stress or losing sleep at night from worries. And where the good sides of the relationship more than balance out the bad. Turning someone with whom you have great chemistry down because of a theoretical aspect of their type that might bother you seems... unfair.

While I'm not advocating to charge into a relationship with anyone with a spark of chemistry, all you can do is evaluate the person you are considering, not just their type. Type is just a tool we use to better understand those people who are in our lives and enrich our existing relationships. It shouldn't be a barrier.

(Oops, and sorry for the wall of text, so much for wanting to rein things in :laugh:)

I can't speak for your friend, but for me, when my friend tell me that she agrees, I always think "does she says this because I annoy her or because she thinks the same?" and secondly "do we think the same because of the same reason ?"

Oh yes, he's definitely said the former to me before!

Actually, it's more important for me to debate than to convince. I'm not an INTJ who wants that the point is settled. I like debating, and I am not searching to tell you you are wrong. I want to understand you, why you are thinking this. Telling me you are right is good for INTJ (more ISTJ, I think, because an INTJ will think you are telling this because you don't want to listen), I WANT you not the agree with me, so that we can debate ! A DEBATE PLEASE ! Of course this sounds like he wanting to convince you. This is the point of a debate, trying to convince. But the important part is convincing, not being "right" (considering that truth exists, which can be debated, anyway :) )

:laugh: You are trying to be convincing, but you don't want to convince! :huh:

I do enjoy a debate too, but my enthusiasm just doesn't always seem to last quite as long as yours. And what I don't understand is when one party 'gives up', either through agreeing, or agreeing to disagree, doesn't seem to matter, you guys won't let the matter lie... the debate has to continue, even if it's only one sided! :tongue:

(For me if I'm not being argued against/new material to react to provided I find I will rapidly run out of things to say and taper off into silence even in the middle of my argument.)

Inarius

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm sorry you have the same issue than us, but, compared to the joy of living with an INFJ, the downsides of all of this are really minor :)
Anyway, it's fun to see we have quite the same problem.

I'm really trying hard to learn to stop talking. I can really stop when I'm thinking hard and lost in my mind (which will end with a "are you there?"), or when I'm seing really beautiful things, like the sea, the forest, the mountains, the full moon in a calm night, a storm, or any wonder from nature/man.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you think about relationships between ENTPs and INFJs? The focus of this is really on romantic relationships but it also makes sense to discuss your experience in situations where these two types interact in a significant way – such as friendship, at work, etc.

It's hard to peg behavior because most behavior seems to be a result of environment. I don't think the functions always manifest themselves in behavior ( unless I'm wrong?). We can only theorize in idealistic terms here which has a lot of bias. There would be a huge difference between an ENTP/INFJ couple ( or indeed , any type couple) that have the same values and ambitions vs. a couple that don't even have those things in common. I have no experience in this realm and I'm not sure of my type either.

How compatible do you think these two types are in general?

Cognitively speaking , fairly compatible to the extend each develops their tertiary functions. It's less likely to be successful in a younger couple but I can see it working very well for a more mature couple.

Why are they attracted to each other?

ENTPs usually exhume a certain confidence which is attractive to less secure INFJs. Even though ENTPs can appear to be ridiculous in some extremities they are comfortable in their own skin which is attractive for the INFJ. INFJs are calm , usually laid back, observers of humanity and every now and then feel an urge to mingle. ENTPs seem to be able to detect that there's a lot going on beneath the hood for INFJs and become curious to explore that.

How to they compliment each other?

Ne provides an abstractly broad view of reality while Ni adds depth to let both intuitive people have a mind orgy. Depending on how well the tertiaries are developed they evaluate information in much the same way. They become a teacher/student of each other and learn to grow together.

How well do they understand each other and why?
Depends on maturity of both. A well balanced way to take in and evaluate information.

What are they like together raising children?

:cry:

What are some of the communication challenges they can have?
What are the biggest frustrations between these two types?
How can they take each other for granted?
What happens with things “go wrong” between these two types?

INFJs take more time to develop their thoughts than ENTPs. ENTPs should be careful not to try to 'fill in the blanks' for the INFJ while they are trying to figure something out unless asked to. ENTPs can come off as arrogant know-it-alls while INFJs can come off as self righteous martyrs pretending they are the only decent person that exists. Maturity helps here.

Advice for couples – What recommendations do you have?
- What things should each type do to facilitate better communication?
- What advice do you have for each of the two types?
- If you are an ENTP, what advice do you have for the INFJs?
- If you are an INFJ, what advice would you have for the ENTPs?

INFJs - The ENTP may not always think things through and just blurt out something mid-thought and sometimes it can come out unrefined and distasteful which isn't even immediately noticed by the ENTP. Most of the time I don't think ENTPs are trying to be jerks but it may seem that way. ENTPs are impersonal about heated issues , even ones you might be passionate about , and they may test your logic just for inquiry/entertainment. If they disagree with something about your opinion its purely about the opinion and not about you. It's possible for an ENTP to hold you in the highest regards of intelligence but also think your opinion is stupid. Don't personalize everything the ENTP does and make it an issue of ethics/morality. ENTPs don't always take themselves seriously and when they don't you shouldn't take them seriously either. If you suspect your ENTP is being flakey , ask the ENTP directly and they will usually answer you directly ( if they are mature) and will appreciate the straightforwardness.

ENTPs - Be patient with your INFJ. Outwardly they may not be thinking as fast as you but they are probably thinking deeper and going to intuitive realms you can't even imagine even with all of your Ne. Don't start picking apart an INFJs opinion when they didn't even get a chance to figure it out yet. Understand that even though INFJs appear pretty laid back on the surface they are deeply serious and actually DO take themselves seriously. If you feel like you have impulsively need to tell your INFJ something that could bring out conflict go for a walk and just think about it for 15-30 mins and structure your words to be complete and comprehensible. It's great that you can make yourINFJ laugh but realize when they want to be serious and keep the sarcasm in the locker for a bit. If you hooked an INFJ , congrats , that type only selectively opens up to people. Respect that and let your INFJ know you appreciate the trust and feelings they giving you. Remember INFJs do value logical consistency like you do but they value harmony even more and learn to see the value in that.

That's it. I believe I am ENTP but meh , who knows?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The main complaints I hear from the different types are are ENTPs are too flaky, extroverted, argumentative, irresponsible etc, while INFJs are too stifling, controlling, judgemental etc, or too emotional and sensitive. Typically ENTPs are 7s, often INFJs are 1s or 4s, I think Enneagram is the basis for most of the stereotype issues between the two types.

I can't look at this thread without thinking of Shai Gar... *shudder* :ack!:

Oh, okay, I see your issue.

You've confused "narcissist hunting prey" with ENTP & INFJ.

=p