• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Truthful Drunks

INTerran

When drunk, do you tend to be more open and honest...sharing feelings with someone that you have kept under tight control?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on how drunk... if I’m totally wasted (which is usually likely considering I’m somewhat of a lightweight), I’ll say certain things that I either remember the next morning or hear about from whoever I related those things to.

Like, the last time this happened was back in early August - it was some vodka cocktail that I had just one glass of, and within no time I was zoned out. I was told later that I’d laughed hysterically at one point, only for it to turn into hysterical crying as I screamed out my last ex’s name asking why he wouldn’t respond back to me.

So yeah, I’ve pretty much stopped drinking. :mellow:

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When drunk, do you tend to be more open and honest...sharing feelings with someone that you have kept under tight control?

All of the yes. After sobering up, I kinda cringe in shame and humiliation. Then never speak about certain things again... at least till I am drunk again...which is often. I am suprised people don't tell me to go home.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
honestly idk depends on who I am around
now that I think about it I have only been drunk 1) either by myself or 2) with a guy I somewhat trusted and wanted to get close to

I have also hung out with friends and we drink of course but it doesn't "stand out" I guess

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drinking makes me strongly embrace my emotions (I get way more emotionally expressive), whereas normally I maintain a rather stoic demeanor. Sometimes I recall things I've said or written in that state and it can be really cringeworthy and embarrassing.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Drinking makes me strongly embrace my emotions (I get way more emotionally expressive), whereas normally I maintain a rather stoic demeanor. Sometimes I recall things I've said or written in that state and it can be really cringeworthy and embarrassing.

I read a few texts I had sent to my friend once while I had been drinking and it...didn't make any sense...lol

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read a few texts I had sent to my friend once while I had been drinking and it...didn't make any sense...lol

I tried to tell you multiple times that it wouldn't be a good idea to try and cook an entire chicken in the microwave, yet once you start fellowshiping with Captain Morgan, you stop listening to reason.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I am in the perfect buzzed state, I'll be more relaxed, bold, and initiating/teasing/chatty. But much beyond that point and I become quiet and contemplative.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, it depends on the amount of alcohol. Way too much so that my body starts to slow down and not function, I become quiet and contemplative.

But typically in the early stages, it releases me from my social inhibitions. It's a poor-man's truth serum, to me -- I'm aware of what I'm doing but I would have to focus to hold things in and remain reserved... and I also lose the desire to do so. So I get a lot more silly, loud, talkative, friendly/sociable, etc. I never get mean, it's always a more positive release.

Unless I'm really drunk, I would remain aware that I probably don't want to share certain thoughts about someone I'm talking to, but it becomes a matter of whether I care enough to try to restrain myself. Afterwards I might regret it, but in the moment I don't. It's more like, "Oh what the hell, let's go for it and see what happens" kind of thing -- a Ti nightmare, an Ne paradise, haha. (Well, Ti is amenable in that it's "an experiment" I can "learn something from.")

I’m a happy drunk because the periphery of the bigger picture has been drowned out with liquid poison. I’m more vocal but just as honest. So I’m careful with the company I keep while drinking (hint I drink alone). Apparently, calling someone an arrogant overbearing prick still causes issues when said with a smile.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
No. Which also makes it hard for me to understand how some people seem to 'transform' into a completely different person when they are drunk.

I would never, confess my feelings when drunk. If you are talking about 'love feelings'. Or at least not out of the blue, maybe if they asked me. But the answer would still be no I guess, especially when I am not sure if it's mutual.
Otherwise, I am pretty open about my feelings in general.

Though I do cry a lot when I am drunk (or I used to at least). Only with certain friends, other friends will never see me cry. That would be very awkward.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. Which also makes it hard for me to understand how some people seem to 'transform' into a completely different person when they are drunk.

I would never, confess my feelings when drunk. If you are talking about 'love feelings'. Or at least not out of the blue, maybe if they asked me. But the answer would still be no I guess, especially when I am not sure if it's mutual.
Otherwise, I am pretty open about my feelings in general.

Though I do cry a lot when I am drunk (or I used to at least). Only with certain friends, other friends will never see me cry. That would be very awkward.

It's not so much a transformation as it is a "peeling back the layers" kind of deal... at least from my experience. :mellow: You never know what emotions or secrets someone could be hiding underneath, no matter how much of an open book they may or may not otherwise be to most people.

rav3n

Alcohol doesn't change me much, beyond the unnecessary need to overenunciate in an attempt to compensate for slurring, lol.

This reminded me of a study published a few months ago that discovered that empathy can be impaired while drunk (misreading other people's emotions) but people's moralities don't change. So if someone's an abusive drunk, what you've seen is their conscious socialization stripped away to reveal who they truly are, under the veneer.

You're Still The Same Person Morally When You're Drunk, Says Study

Own your drunken decisions

If someone has done something wrong while under the influence of alcohol, we tend to give them a "get out of jail free card", rather than hold them accountable for their actions. We also extend these excuses to ourselves.

But in our research, we've attempted to paint a clearer picture of how drinking alcohol, empathy, and moral behaviour are related.

In turns out that while consuming alcohol might affect our empathy, making us respond inappropriately to other people's emotions and reactions, this doesn't necessarily change our moral standards, or the principles we use to distinguish between what is right and what is wrong.

In a recent experiment, we gave participants shots of vodka and then measured their empathy and their moral decisions. We presented images showing various people expressing emotions to our participants.

After having a higher dose of vodka, people began to respond inappropriately to these emotional displays, reporting that they felt positively about sad faces and negatively about happy faces. The more intoxicated people were, the more impaired their empathy became – having a few drinks weakened people's abilities to understand and share the emotions of others.

But did this then have an effect on their morality?

We had people tell us what they thought they would do in moral dilemmas and then also looked at what they actually did in a simulation of a moral dilemma in Virtual Reality. Consider what you might do in one of these situations:

A runaway trolley is heading down some rail tracks towards five construction workers who can't hear it approaching. You're standing on a footbridge in between the approaching trolley and the workers. In front of you, is standing a very large stranger. If you push this stranger onto the tracks below, their large bulk will stop the trolley. This one person will be killed but the five construction workers will be saved. Would you do it?

While alcohol might have impaired the empathy of our participants, it didn't have an effect on how they judged these moral situations or how they acted in them. If someone chose to push the person off the footbridge in order to save more lives while sober, they did the same thing when drunk.

If people refused to sacrifice the person's life in the same situation because they believed that killing was wrong regardless of the consequences, they also did the same when drunk.

It turns out that while we might believe that alcohol changes our personalities, it doesn't. You're still the same person after a drink – your existing sense of morality left intact.

So while alcohol might affect how we interpret and understand the emotions of other people, we can't blame our immoral behaviours on alcohol.

Drunken you has the same moral compass. And so you are responsible for your moral and immoral actions, whether you've had a few drinks or not.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
It's not so much a transformation as it is a "peeling back the layers" kind of deal... at least from my experience. :mellow: You never know what emotions or secrets someone could be hiding underneath, no matter how much of an open book they may or may not otherwise be to most people.

I can relate in some way. But it's mostly because when I am drunk, things that have happened in the past suddenly become sad/dramatic/intense though I never even think about them when I am sober. Or when I think about it, it doesn't make me sad. So I might become more 'open' when I am drunk but honestly, it's just my brain being dramatic. (Some might perceive that as underlying emotions, but that's not the case)

Confessing your love for someone is 'next level' to me. Thinking about it from my own perspective, since I wouldn't easily confess such thing. Being drunk won't help. So in my eyes, it is a 'transformation' when someone suddenly does confesses their feelings. It's not only about the verbal stuff, some people seem to become 'someone else'. Of course, we all behave differently when we are drunk, but to a certain extent.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
No. I just tend to be out of control which is why I never get myself drunk.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an excellent drunk-pokerface. No secrets spill. No slurring. I seem ‘more overtly happy,’ but that’s it. No drastic personality/behavioral changes. Just less inhibited about smiling or expressing amusement.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have two drinking modes:

Quiet and kinda sleepy

Or

Overly affectionate party animal. Even if I don't like you, ilk tell you you're awesome. I may also call you an asshole, but you're an awesome asshole.