User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default Letter compatibility

Hi!

In this post I would like us to discuss the compatibility for each single letter.
    In terms of both relationship and friendship.

Which ones are important, which ones are not? if so, why?
    Do you have a favorite combination?
    Any personal experience or stories?

Here is my take on it.

Introversion x Extroversion:
    The traditional recommendation is that introversion balance out extroversion and vice versa.
    However, I believe this letter compatibility is not the most important. I can definitely see two introverts be happy together. The same applies to extroverts.
    I can understand the recommendation because the extrovert will take the spotlight in unavoidable social situations, it can be very much appreciated by the introvert.
    As well as transferring energy to the introvert, in return the introvert makes the extrovert more relaxed.

Sensing x Intuitive:
    This one has the highest conflict-potential the way I see it.
    People with strong sensing will not easily understand and listen to complex dreams and ideas. They rely on facts and the present.
    It can create unbalance and a feeling of not being seen.
    However, I do believe they can have much to teach each other about life and can fulfill very different roles. That's good as long as the conflict-level stays low.

Thinking x Feeling:
    A bit optional.
    If you want a relationship colored with feelings, someone with the feeling trait would definitely contribute to that.
    If a more intellectual pursuit is preferable, the thinking trait is perhaps more welcome.
    For the sake of diversity, thinking x feeling might be more positive in the long run.

Judging x Perceiving:
    To be honest. This is probably my favorite combination.
    Not to say perceiving people are messy, but having someone less interested in improvising can bring tremendous balance and order into the family life.
    The perceiving will give the family life spontaneity back which can be very important. It brings excitement of not knowing, might bring out the child in the judging-type.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

There are a few theories when it comes to letter compatibility, the most popular I see are switching the first and last letters (I/E ad P/J) or switching every letter except the second (N/S). For example, if you were an ISFJ your most compatible partner in theory would be ESFP or ESTP.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by notmyapples View Post
    There are a few theories when it comes to letter compatibility, the most popular I see are switching the first and last letters (I/E ad P/J) or switching every letter except the second (N/S). For example, if you were an ISFJ your most compatible partner in theory would be ESFP or ESTP.
    This is basically spot on, I think. Romatically speaking, extroverts are ideally paired with introverts first and foremost. After that, Intuitives and Sensors will rub along easiest with their own kind, and differentiation along the J and P axis provides necessary balance. Two P types together can result in unstructured chaos, while two J types will clash for control. As far as T and F goes... from my experience difference here can create sexual chemistry, but for a longer term relationship more equivalence is preferable. Its also preferable for friendship, ie Fs with Fs, Ts with Ts. Less scope for everyday misunderstandings and unintentional offence.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Idk but I agree. As an female ISTJ I think I have a lot of chemistry with this male ESTP, but I have dated ISFP too- something about opposites, whether EP or FP makes me undeniably attracted.

The ESTP I'm into now makes sense, his extroversion makes him comfortable in the external world and makes me enticed. His xSTx and my xSTx weirdly enough understand each other but also kinda hot if I guess you're into yourself? Its a nice blessing since I feel like most types would be bored by some of the ways I describe details while he actually listens and attentive. I think P vs J causes the most conflict, makes me almost believe I'm least compatible with any type- how stubborn I can truly be with my J.

As for ISxx and ISxx its extremely comfortable...maybe too comfortable? FP and TJ, I can only say has its ups and downs but probably my favorite compatibility to be honest.
    Death is always an option.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

The stereotype of s vs n is super cringe here.

I get desiring to find the perfect theoretical match because there is comfort and safety in this. But that’s not how actual interactions work.

Things also change as you grow up and older and start becoming more comfortable with behaving more opposite.
    Likes badatlife, notmyapples liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Snow as White View Post

I get desiring to find the perfect theoretical match because there is comfort and safety in this. But that’s not how actual interactions work.

Things also change as you grow up and older and start becoming more comfortable with behaving more opposite.
    Actually I was gonna add that as people get older S and Ns start to look a lot more appealing to each other. Im thinking specifically ENP females and ISJ males, but the principle probably applies elsewhere. May have something to do with function development and sex drive.

I agree that lusting after a perfect theoretical match is the wrong way to go about things. You shouldnt be looking for a partner or judging the partner you have based on MBTI. But it is useful to explain behaviour and why partnerships do or do not work, and its surprising how frequently partners do match up in type terms. If you want to preserve the mystery of love better steer clear of typology

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Actually I was gonna add that as people get older S and Ns start to look a lot more appealing to each other. Im thinking specifically ENP females and ISJ males, but the principle probably applies elsewhere. May have something to do with function development and sex drive.

I agree that lusting after a perfect theoretical match is the wrong way to go about things. You shouldnt be looking for a partner or judging the partner you have based on MBTI. But it is useful to explain behaviour and why partnerships do or do not work, and its surprising how frequently partners do match up in type terms. If you want to preserve the mystery of love better steer clear of typology
    To be honest as I get older the more attractive Te is to me. I don’t really care who’s wielding it I just want to learn from the masters.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so

It always makes me and re: procuring the perfect type match. What happens when your S.O. decides they are a different type, you dump them?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes badatlife, Luminous liked this post

Extraverted thinking:

Extraverted Thinking (Te) involves Thinking-based judgments that incorporate facts, data, or other objective considerations. Through the impersonal and objectifying lens of Te, the world becomes a giant machine, a system of interrelated parts that predictably functions according to the laws of cause and effect.

Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone's ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else's thought process.

Te-users like to organize; they organize facts, rules, truths, and anything in their outer environment that needs fixing. The Te-user values, above all, truth. Te-dominant and auxiliary users are suspicious of sentiment and emotions, but trust what they can verify through facts, experimentation, and results.

What part of the word "fact" do you not understand?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Snow as White View Post

I agree. Type compatibility can only go so far when you're not taking things like maturity, life experience and personal growth into account.