First 12

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISFj Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    It always makes me and re: procuring the perfect type match. What happens when your S.O. decides they are a different type, you dump them?
    thiss. half of us here can't even type ourselves right

I think compatibility is good when the first two letters are the same, and the last two switched. E.g ISTP with ISFJ, ENFP with ENTJ etc

From what I've seen, extroverts gravitate and seem to enjoy the company of other extroverts more than introverts, and introverts need someone with similar energies and need for space as they do. So introverts are best with introverts, and vice versa.

The second two letters can remain the same for the reasons mentioned earlier, and the last two switched, because they provide good opportunity for balance within a relationship. A thinker relationship might feel a bit cold, and a feeler relationship might not provide opportunities for logical balance. It think judgers and perceivers can also complement other. I now two perceivers who are married and they are both very laidback parents and not very good at managing their home, finances etc - not a good combination, IM0. I think two judgers together might be a bit rigid as well, or there may be fights for control.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Caribelle View Post
    I think compatibility is good when the first two letters are the same, and the last two switched. E.g ISTP with ISFJ, ENFP with ENTJ etc

From what I've seen, extroverts gravitate and seem to enjoy the company of other extroverts more than introverts, and introverts need someone with similar energies and need for space as they do. So introverts are best with introverts, and vice versa.

The second two letters can remain the same for the reasons mentioned earlier, and the last two switched, because they provide good opportunity for balance within a relationship. A thinker relationship might feel a bit cold, and a feeler relationship might not provide opportunities for logical balance. It think judgers and perceivers can also complement other. I now two perceivers who are married and they are both very laidback parents and not very good at managing their home, finances etc - not a good combination, IM0. I think two judgers together might be a bit rigid as well, or there may be fights for control.
    Too many stereotypes here really..... Two thinkers within a relationship may not necessarily be cold in how they perceive the connection. And feelers aren't chickens wandering about searching for their cut off heads blindly. Each type and combination has its own areas of flexibility and rigidity... It's more, can you figure out ways to compromise and do so in positive ways.

On paper perhaps there is some theoretical concept of "perfect matches based on alphabet soup" but in reality that isn't how it works.

Just speaking in general terms. Of course, there are nuances and exceptions to everything.
    Likes tommyc liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

I mostly agree with OP. I think a J/P difference is good for practical reasons. Although I also think that in P/P or J/J dynamics, the person who is closer to the centre will become a little more J-ish or P-ish in order to compensate. (I can become J-ish pretty quickly depending on the needs of the situation.)

I think that, rather than being great at showing us the types we are most compatible with, the MBTI is pretty good at showing us the types we are least compatible with... There are some types that consistently annoy me, haha.

The S/N stereotype can be pointless sometimes, but... I've noticed that in dynamics between a strongly S person and a strongly N person, it's very rare that they will understand or appreciate each other. MBTI at least offers an explanation as to why some people just can't click.

Another thing is that type compatibility theories can give a heads up about future issues in relationships that are easy most of the time. (For example, it has helped me as an INTP with ENFP friends to know that ENFPs often have a secret bossy streak, so I'm not confused when it comes up. But that's a cf thing rather than a dichotomy thing, so I'm not sure if it's really relevant to this thread.)

I think T/F is easily the least important in terms of compatibility. I've never seen it make a real difference at all.
    Almost too Ti to function.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wildmoon View Post
    I think T/F is easily the least important in terms of compatibility. I've never seen it make a real difference at all.
    Interesting... with the exception of ENTPs and the odd ISTX, Ive mostly hung out with F types my whole life. I think its really important for compatibility, following closely behind N/S. Id even expand that to society: I think its one of the key distinctions in arts and culture, politics, philosophy, morality. It influences almost everything.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Interesting... with the exception of ENTPs and the odd ISTX, Ive mostly hung out with F types my whole life. I think its really important for compatibility, following closely behind N/S. Id even expand that to society: I think its one of the key distinctions in arts and culture, politics, philosophy, morality. It influences almost everything.
    Hmm yeah that’s interesting. Are you more into the dichotomies of MBTI or the cognitive functions?
    Maybe I’m unique in being able to get along with both T and F types, haha.
    Almost too Ti to function.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wildmoon View Post
    Hmm yeah that’s interesting. Are you more into the dichotomies of MBTI or the cognitive functions?
    Maybe I’m unique in being able to get along with both T and F types, haha.
    I think cognitive function comes first - where you fall on each dichotomy is a reflection of your preferred function. Having said that I think dichotomies can have their own separate value - for instance "xxxP" types across the board share a certain fundamental quality. Call it a preference for chaos, while xxxJ types prefer order. Those are elemental forces in the universe, so its a really important difference.

And yeh, I guess youre T/F blind... you are the chosen one, sent here to unite us