• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts IV Ordering and The Environment

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's been various discussion about why a person's instinctual variants end up ordered the way they are. Some suggest that your first instinct is an area in your environment that was neglected and your last an area that was overdone... Others suggest the exact opposite. It has been proposed that it is unlikely you'll share the same blindspot as your parents or even that iv has little to do with environment.

So... Thoughts?

Why do you think you ended up with the stacking you have? Or even, why do you think others might have ended up with the stacking they have? Even family statistics could be helpful?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I doubt it's environment related, it's probably set from birth.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's been various discussion about why a person's instinctual variants end up ordered the way they are. Some suggest that your first instinct is an area in your environment that was neglected and your last an area that was overdone... Others suggest the exact opposite. It has been proposed that it is unlikely you'll share the same blindspot as your parents or even that iv has little to do with environment.

So... Thoughts?

Why do you think you ended up with the stacking you have? Or even, why do you think others might have ended up with the stacking they have? Even family statistics could be helpful?

Extremely interesting, I can see it for both my blind and my main instinct. (sp/so/sx)

I had a pretty shitty childhood. Early in my life, I was ignored by everyone in my family, and was just kinda there. I spent a lot of time outside. I wasn't concerned too much with survival (having food, a place to sleep). As my life gradually got worse and abusive, I was determined to survive on my own to escape my shitty life. There were a few times where I was gonna give up and go live in the woods like a wild animal, and I was very close to that many times. I saw no value in relying on humans for anything. I think my upbringing can explain why I am sp first. It also can explain why I am sx blind, because my parents severely neglected intimacy and attention with me...while also making a lot of inappropriate sexual jokes, and other inappropriate things.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My parents are both sp dom. (Almost) all of us have different Ennea cores though so interestingly, we manifested the instinct in different ways.

That being said, sp was definitely not neglected in my family. My mom was very sp of the most stereotypical kind, if I compared myself to her and if she was the definition of sp I might have considered myself sp-second. Personally, I don't think nurture had much to do with it, because while we're all sp doms we all manifested it differently and even argued on what to be sp about and how. I also always had my own preferences I stuck to no matter what kind of specific sp preferences or methods my mother tried to pass on to me.

To elaborate, she was likely either E6 (CP) or 8 core, and she was typical- expansive, voracious, go-getter and very high activity in expanding her security, would shove people aside if it meant more resources for her. Extremely, ridiculously anal about environment, health, finances, sometimes to a seemingly paranoid degree.

My dad & I, both E5 cores, were similar yet in some aspects entirely different- we both favoured withdrawing, denying needs, and minimizing- but he went all the way. Eg; he went vegetarian and barely bought new clothes, and glorified a 'spiritual life' of simplicity and non-attachment, something unthinkable for my mom (not as unthinkable for me, but I definitely cannot glorify such an impractical lifestyle and would not do it if I had resources).

My brother #1, E9 core, was also extremely minimizing and even self-neglecting but clung tight to things he did have that would give him security- very non-confrontational for the sake of maintaining his perceived peace / autonomy- his is not as obvious as the rest but if you paid attention, you'd realize that his attention goes a lot to maintaining and protecting say, his personal space, his belongings, his autonomy- just, by withdrawing instead of by confronting. For example, my mother would press and get aggressive to establish dominance, while my brother would build rapport so that his space would not be intruded upon.

Personally, even as sp-dom myself, I disagree with the methods of all them three (my father, despite similar cores, was still also too extreme for me).

Mother - sp/so
Father - sp/sx
Me - sp/so
Brother #1 - sp/sx
Brother #2 - so/?

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The current thinking is that our instincts are either inborn for some biological reason, or else tack up quickly after birth according to some innate program, for unknown reasons.

I personally can't think of any reason why I should have the instinctual order I have. There was no defining moment in my youth or early childhood. I don't remember being a baby obviously, but I haven't heard of many traumatic instances from my family. There was one time when my father utterly neglected me for about 12 hours because he was too busy working, but you'd think that would give me self-pres issues if anything.

My mother was sp/sx
My father was sx/soc
I'm sx, and I'm going to share a blindspot with one of them
I was raised apart from my father after the age of 3, so sx wasn't really consciously learned

My stepfather is soc/sp
My (half)sister is sp/soc

Hell if I know.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

So... Thoughts?

Hmm yeah, idk. From what I have seen of Katherine Fauvre's videos on instincts, she believes that we are "born with it." And of course, additional life circumstances and/or traumas would impact what instinct(s) become "neurotic."

Also, one interesting side-note is that everyone in my family is SP first, while that is the blindspot for me.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I mean, both of my parents are sp dom like me. My dad is a pretty chill dude with a good sense of humor, but he's not much of a people person(I don't blame him). Pretty private and reserved like me, with his So playground showing by poking fun at political matters. My mom had that sp/sx independence and rebelliousness and wasn't too concerned with So matters- pretty contraflow.

I wouldn't say my sp was neglected though. We weren't rich-I grew up in ghetto small town Maine-but we had enough resources. I was an only child, so you can argue I was a little spoiled and I got to enjoy doing my own thing. The only thing that made me feel really unsecure was when my moms' drinking was spiraling out of control. We got into a lot of arguments, and it got to the point where I expected fighting practically everyday. Actually, kid me was more so/sp looking than anything. Trying to be internet famous, being very image focused by looking fashionable and showing off my art and accomplishments. I've become more sp as I grew up though, and sp feels like more of the need than the so nowadays but they're pretty close so I've flipped flopped between them. But yeah, there was nothing that really fed my sx. I didn't forge many deep relationships and even back then I prided myself on my indepedence, not wanting to cry on somebody's shoulder and wanting to rebel.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well my family seems very Sp oriented, very Si as well function wise hence why I am such a "black sheep" in my family.

Me - ENFJ 3w2 (358)so/sx
Mam - ISFJ 1w2 (127) sp/so
Brother - ISTJ 1w9 (126) sp/sx
Dad - ISTJ 6w7 (269) sp/sx

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So... Thoughts?

This is interesting, and this theory fits me pretty well.

Growing up in Asian culture, the social instinct is definitely overdone, as Asian countries tend to be more collective than individualistic. I never fared so well in this kind of lifestyle, especially as someone raised in the states. I believe I understand social settings and hierarchies well, but dislike them and choose not to partake because they bring me great stress and depression.

Meanwhile, my sx had been quite suppressed growing up. I was taught that it's not good to lose yourself in something or someone, but I've always had the urge to merge. I had never found a healthy way to use sx growing up.

My mother is so/sp for sure. My dad is sp-first, probably sp/sx with repressed sx.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some suggest that your first instinct is an area in your environment that was neglected and your last an area that was overdone... Others suggest the exact opposite. It has been proposed that it is unlikely you'll share the same blindspot as your parents or even that iv has little to do with environment.

It doesn't really apply to me. My family is very fixated on sp needs - especially my mother. I was raised to believe that material security is more important than everything else. Doing sp all the time is the only thing that really worked out in my family dynamics and in my school days. I just learned that by focusing on feeling good through food and seeking safety I could ignore the feeling of not being accepted by others. Meanwhile SX always confused me - I couldn't grasp it and it was always that way. I guess it also has to do with the way I was raised. Though I ask myself how much of that is genetic too.

Overall in my case I wouldn't really agree with the theory though maybe some others could relate. As a 9 I just did what others expected of me and what made the most sense. Using more zones of the SX seemed always way too risky for me.

halaface

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Some suggest that your first instinct is an area in your environment that was neglected and your last an area that was overdone.

I've noticed that in many people I know including both me and my sister
I used to be a sx dom , now I'm a sx last ( I used to neglect sp until the last breath )
My sister used to be a sp dom , now she's a sp last
My friend used to be a so dom , now she's a so last
Etc
So I can say that's true