• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts What Instinctual Subtype Does This Sound Like?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Are you an ISTJ? Just wondering.

I see what you're saying about your roommate and I kinda relate to his perspective on boundaries to be honest, not that I obsess over it to the extent that he seems to possibly. I've always been a bit for shock value.

And I wasn't trying to make overgeneralizations, although that seems to be a way people commonly interpret my communications. Hmmm... *rubs chin*
Sure, if you want me to be. Lol. People can type me as a 10PC712093C6CF2 for all I care, it's the same thing on a surface level...just a bunch of letters and numbers.

Interesting. Yeah, compared to that I'm probably more Sp/Sx.
Lol fucking typology.

If that's a common occurrence then the only solution I can propose is to use more words like "some" or "sometimes" when you're not referring to 8's in general.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

Sure, if you want me to be. Lol. People can type me as a 10PC712093C6CF2 for all I care, it's the same thing on a surface level...just a bunch of letters and numbers.

Interesting. Yeah, compared to that I'm probably more Sp/Sx.
Lol fucking typology.

If that's a common occurrence then the only solution I can propose is to use more words like "some" or "sometimes" when you're not referring to 8's in general.

Suggestion noted but likely only taken sometimes because hi, have you met me? :newwink:

Tomb1

I waver between sx and sp. A lot of people on this forum have typed me sp, and I'm not really surprised at this, based on how I interact, but I question the accuracy.

When I was younger I felt a strong drive to merge with others. Not just any other person of course, but if I met someone who sparked something in me, they would become the focus of my obsession and I had a tendency to idealize and pedestalize these individuals. It was even more amplified if my interest in them was romantic.

After getting burned enough and realizing that people rarely live up to the ideal versions we create in our minds, I became more cautious and reserved in my interactions, even when I came across people who sparked my interest and became objects of obsession. I've always been pretty guarded about revealing inner thoughts to just anyone, but doubly so by this point in my life. I think in that regard I can seem more focused on self preservation. Yet at my core, there's still a strong tendency to feel a pull toward certain people, a desire to merge with them, to learn everything about them. I rationalize in my head that such things as 'soul mates' do not exist, yet I think on some level I really do believe in them.

I wonder if sx types are among the most idealistic humans? Or is that idealism just felt and expressed differently than it is with other instinctual types? I also wonder if they're more likely to experience crashing disappointments and to grow into jaded cynics..

I account for your sense of idealism through your 1 wing. That's more accurate since idealism is a worldview. Instinctual variants don't contain world-views but simply cast us with an overlay of general behaviors found all throughout the animal kingdom. Instinctual variants are hardest for people to accurately self-type because of the fact they are biologically rooted drives operating entirely outside our conscious awareness.

I use your core type (9) to explain your drive to merge. Merging is the area of fixation for type nine.

I don't see you as soft or diffusive enough for a sx-first. A sx-first nine is especially diffusive. There are times when you lock into another member in a way that seems to pull you out of your own skin but its for short bouts. It's like the SP-Wall comes up for a bit but then closes down abruptly and you snap back into your 'underground layer' once again individuated. I find this to be very typical of sp/sx.

As for your socionics type, Ne and Ti show up prominently. If you were an IEI, Te would be your vulnerable function. There is no way that Te is your vulnerable function....there's too strong a tint of objective reasoning processes in your debates with other members. Also see the exchange you had in the Halloween movies thread with Totenkindly (Ti/Ne). Your posts were prototypical of Ne/Ti and almost similar in information processing as Totenkindly. The difference between you and LII is that you advocate more passionately for your ideas. It pertains to what Jung talks about Ne's dramatic fire and more zealous style of presentation, as follows:

"The intuitive's morality is governed neither by thinking nor by feeling; he has his own characteristic morality, which consists in a loyalty to his vision and in voluntary submission to its authority."

"He brings his vision to life, he presents it convincingly and with dramatic fire, he embodies it, so to speak. But this is not play-acting, it is a kind of fate."

Back to your lead instinctual variant, I don't see anything in what you wrote as indicative of sexual first.

Nonetheless, your reaction to getting burnt strongly indicates SP-first. Getting burnt continually can cause the lead variant to flip. I don't think I ever talked about Flipped Instinctual Variants on here before. Under stress, the flipped side of the sexual variant turns to provocation. The flipped side of the self-preservation variant turns to cutting ties and hoarding resources (including the self). Becoming more cautious and reserved as you described is consistent with the SP response.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I account for your sense of idealism through your 1 wing. That's more accurate since idealism is a worldview. Instinctual variants don't contain world-views but simply cast us with an overlay of general behaviors found all throughout the animal kingdom. Instinctual variants are hardest for people to accurately self-type because of the fact they are biologically rooted drives operating entirely outside our conscious awareness.

I use your core type (9) to explain your drive to merge. Merging is the area of fixation for type nine.

I don't see you as soft or diffusive enough for a sx-first. A sx-first nine is especially diffusive. There are times when you lock into another member in a way that seems to pull you out of your own skin but its for short bouts. It's like the SP-Wall comes up for a bit but then closes down abruptly and you snap back into your 'underground layer' once again individuated. I find this to be very typical of sp/sx.

As for your socionics type, Ne and Ti show up prominently. If you were an IEI, Te would be your vulnerable function. There is no way that Te is your vulnerable function....there's too strong a tint of objective reasoning processes in your debates with other members. Also see the exchange you had in the Halloween movies thread with Totenkindly (Ti/Ne). Your posts were prototypical of Ne/Ti and almost similar in information processing as Totenkindly. The difference between you and LII is that you advocate more passionately for your ideas. It pertains to what Jung talks about Ne's dramatic fire and more zealous style of presentation, as follows:

"The intuitive's morality is governed neither by thinking nor by feeling; he has his own characteristic morality, which consists in a loyalty to his vision and in voluntary submission to its authority."

"He brings his vision to life, he presents it convincingly and with dramatic fire, he embodies it, so to speak. But this is not play-acting, it is a kind of fate."

Back to your lead instinctual variant, I don't see anything in what you wrote as indicative of sexual first.

Nonetheless, your reaction to getting burnt strongly indicates SP-first. Getting burnt continually can cause the lead variant to flip. I don't think I ever talked about Flipped Instinctual Variants on here before. Under stress, the flipped side of the sexual variant turns to provocation. The flipped side of the self-preservation variant turns to cutting ties and hoarding resources (including the self). Becoming more cautious and reserved as you described is consistent with the SP response.

This is very good, Tomb. Let's hug.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I waver between sx and sp. A lot of people on this forum have typed me sp, and I'm not really surprised at this, based on how I interact, but I question the accuracy.

When I was younger I felt a strong drive to merge with others. Not just any other person of course, but if I met someone who sparked something in me, they would become the focus of my obsession and I had a tendency to idealize and pedestalize these individuals. It was even more amplified if my interest in them was romantic.

After getting burned enough and realizing that people rarely live up to the ideal versions we create in our minds, I became more cautious and reserved in my interactions, even when I came across people who sparked my interest and became objects of obsession. I've always been pretty guarded about revealing inner thoughts to just anyone, but doubly so by this point in my life. I think in that regard I can seem more focused on self preservation. Yet at my core, there's still a strong tendency to feel a pull toward certain people, a desire to merge with them, to learn everything about them. I rationalize in my head that such things as 'soul mates' do not exist, yet I think on some level I really do believe in them.

I wonder if sx types are among the most idealistic humans? Or is that idealism just felt and expressed differently than it is with other instinctual types? I also wonder if they're more likely to experience crashing disappointments and to grow into jaded cynics..

since everyone has all the instincts, I would say that you are the only one who can figure out which one is the dominant one for you, since text online only conveys so much...