• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts What Instinctual Subtype Does This Sound Like?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm Sp, and you should see my Facebook.

I'm definitely high Sx though.

That's what I'm trying to parse. I can see strong evidence for either in myself. The only thing I'm pretty certain of is being so last.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm Sp, and you should see my Facebook.

I'm definitely high Sx though.

Maybe this is just you being 4 but I would dare to call you Sx as well. :wink:

That's what I'm trying to parse. I can see strong evidence for either in myself. The only thing I'm pretty certain of is being so last.

Yes, but this state of flux and being generally on both sides is a textbook trait of Sx instinct.

This is from the instinct flow thread, hope it helps.

sx/sp - intensifying, escalating, rising, surging, enlivening, invigorating, accelerating, stimulating, energizing, vitalizing, reviving, animating, inspiriting
sp/sx - dulling, calming, quieting, grounding, descending, lowering, dampening, numbing, desensitizing, exhausting, deadening, extinguishing, making still

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Maybe this is just you being 4 but I would dare to call you Sx as well. :wink:

Yes, but this state of flux and being generally on both sides is a textbook trait of Sx instinct.

This is from the instinct flow thread, hope it helps.

sx/sp - intensifying, escalating, rising, surging, enlivening, invigorating, accelerating, stimulating, energizing, vitalizing, reviving, animating, inspiriting
sp/sx - dulling, calming, quieting, grounding, descending, lowering, dampening, numbing, desensitizing, exhausting, deadening, extinguishing, making still

I've thought about this very mucho. The only problem with me being a sexual 4 is that I'm not hatefully competitive enough. If I'm envious of someone, I do not have to beat them at whatever they have that I don't in order to feel okay with myself (maybe mild flavors in a more light/trolly way but not as a way of being).

If I was Sx/Sp, I'd have to be a 5w4, and I think we all know I'm too dramatic and expressive for that. None of the other Sx types fit me, but I definitely relate to the sexual 5s need to be interesting/shocking and their struggle with acquiring perfect love.

The sexual 548/584 with a 4 wing is basically the only 5 who would confuse themself for a 4 though.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I've thought about this very mucho. The only problem with me being a sexual 4 is that I'm not hatefully competitive enough. If I'm envious of someone, I do not have to beat them at whatever they have that I don't in order to feel okay with myself (maybe mild flavors in a more light/trolly way but not as a way of being).

If I was Sx/Sp, I'd have to be a 5w4, and I think we all know I'm too dramatic and expressive for that. None of the other Sx types fit me, but I definitely relate to the sexual 5s need to be interesting/shocking and their struggle with acquiring perfect love.

The sexual 548/584 with a 4 wing is basically the only 5 who would confuse themself for a 4 though.

Isn't that more of a Sx 3 thing ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I could see why you would say that, but the sexual 4 is classified as "hate" and "competition".

Yes, but sometimes books/wisdom can be wrong, since they are written by people. To me Sx 4 goes more in a direction of street art and being a Bohemian to prove their value/individualism than to bash people around. Unless they go on a crusade due to integration to 1. There can be emotional and sexual competition in their own local circle but 4 doesn't really go around fighting and bashing people on a normal day.

But ok we getting off topic.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but sometimes books/wisdom can be wrong, since they are written by people. To me Sx 4 goes more in a direction of street art and being a Bohemian to prove their value/individualism than to bash people around. Unless they go on a crusade due to integration to 1. There can be emotional and sexual competition in their own local circle but 4 doesn't really go around fighting and bashing people on a normal day.

But ok we getting off topic.

But you're a person too so how is your perspective overriding the books/wisdom written by people.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And where did I say I was right ?

Your sentence structure didn't leave room for much else in terms of tone as per what I bolded and the two words underlined that follow from that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Your sentence structure didn't leave room for much else in terms of tone as per what I bolded and the two words underlined that follow from that.

And then people wonder I opened "walking all over her" thread. I know how I sound when being natural. :cool:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As a high sx contra flow dom with meh levels of so and sp.

I say my life is pretty chaotic haha :)

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
What do y'all mean by merging with people? Ive been reading this a lot lately, and I'm not very clear on it I think.
In Sx 9s it's the lack of sense of self and getting a sense of identity from their connections. They take on their traits, mirror them, blend, conform to their preferences (Agreeableness).

I waver between sx and sp. A lot of people on this forum have typed me sp, and I'm not really surprised at this, based on how I interact, but I question the accuracy.

When I was younger I felt a strong drive to merge with others. Not just any other person of course, but if I met someone who sparked something in me, they would become the focus of my obsession and I had a tendency to idealize and pedestalize these individuals. It was even more amplified if my interest in them was romantic.

After getting burned enough and realizing that people rarely live up to the ideal versions we create in our minds, I became more cautious and reserved in my interactions, even when I came across people who sparked my interest and became objects of obsession. I've always been pretty guarded about revealing inner thoughts to just anyone, but doubly so by this point in my life. I think in that regard I can seem more focused on self preservation. Yet at my core, there's still a strong tendency to feel a pull toward certain people, a desire to merge with them, to learn everything about them. I rationalize in my head that such things as 'soul mates' do not exist, yet I think on some level I really do believe in them.

I wonder if sx types are among the most idealistic humans? Or is that idealism just felt and expressed differently than it is with other instinctual types? I also wonder if they're more likely to experience crashing disappointments and to grow into jaded cynics..
I can't offer much input for sx/sp vs sp/sx for you based on just this, but it does at least sound like a combination of those two. Most Sx/So types can have invasive qualities IME. For example, my (probably INFJ, I can't see many other options for him anymore) Sx/So roomate who knows absolutely nothing about what typology even is has said things such as how he loves when people break personal barriers and boundaries, he wishes people would do it more. He has said things such as how he plays with peoples' emotions just because he likes the intensity. He has also talked about how he struggles / has issues with peoples' boundaries, doesn't detect where they are with people. I can attest that he is invasive as hell and spot on with that statement. Compare that with your statement and Sp Dom or Mid seems quite apparent.

I think Sx/Sp their Sp comes out in times of fear more, but they're discontent with barriers being in the way of Sx connections overall. They treat relationships with others like they are Sp/Sx for some reasons, but it would not be ideal. Sp/Sx sort of just naturally has comfortable barriers there.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
When I take the instinctual variant test, I get sp/so, however I've determined that I'm actually sx/so, because:

When I make a post, I tend to focus on the other person with the Ni, Fe, and Ti; the world with the Se and Ne; and myself with the Fi, Te and Si.

So that showed me that I'm sx/so, and showed how instinctual variant relates to the cognitive functions.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I can't offer much input for sx/sp vs sp/sx for you based on just this, but it does at least sound like a combination of those two. Most Sx/So types can have invasive qualities IME. For example, my (probably INFJ, I can't see many other options for him anymore) Sx/So roomate who knows absolutely nothing about what typology even is has said things such as how he loves when people break personal barriers and boundaries, he wishes people would do it more. He has said things such as how he plays with peoples' emotions just because he likes the intensity. He has also talked about how he struggles / has issues with peoples' boundaries, doesn't detect where they are with people. I can attest that he is invasive as hell and spot on with that statement. Compare that with your statement and Sp Dom or Mid seems quite apparent.

I think Sx/Sp their Sp comes out in times of fear more, but they're discontent with barriers being in the way of Sx connections overall. They treat relationships with others like they are Sp/Sx for some reasons, but it would not be ideal. Sp/Sx sort of just naturally has comfortable barriers there.

To me, this sounds more indicative of Sx/Sp because he seems to have an awareness of boundaries but not take them seriously and in fact finds crossing them personally amusing. That sounds more like a disrespect/blindness to social and using Sp as the "play/support" instinct (the middle instinct inherently has little to no insecurity attached to it, with a few exceptions, but the first and last do) as a means of getting a kick out of the situations he creates at the expense of others (Sx).

Examples of the exceptions I mention would be, say, enneatypes 4 and 6. Fours often have a hard time pegging where Sx is in their stack because they are naturally focused on Sx-like stuff (intimacy, authentic connection, ideal love, etc). Sixes pretty much have a hard time with anything regarding self-typing, but even beyond that, they are inherently concerned with protecting themselves against threat, which could easily be equated with Sp on a surface level.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, 8s like to fuck with people's boundaries and push weaklings around, and other types can do this too.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
To me, this sounds more indicative of Sx/Sp because he seems to have an awareness of boundaries but not take them seriously and in fact finds crossing them personally amusing. That sounds more like a disrespect/blindness to social and using Sp as the "play/support" instinct (the middle instinct inherently has little to no insecurity attached to it, with a few exceptions, but the first and last do) as a means of getting a kick out of the situations he creates at the expense of others (Sx).

Examples of the exceptions I mention would be, say, enneatypes 4 and 6. Fours often have a hard time pegging where Sx is in their stack because they are naturally focused on Sx-like stuff (intimacy, authentic connection, ideal love, etc). Sixes pretty much have a hard time with anything regarding self-typing, but even beyond that, they are inherently concerned with protecting themselves against threat, which could easily be equated with Sp on a surface level.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, 8s like to fuck with people's boundaries and push weaklings around, and other types can do this too.
If not mistaken, by "he" you mean my Sx/So roomate...no, he lacks awareness of boundaries but has awareness of his lack of awareness...similarly to how I am aware of missing social norms, yet I know that social norms I miss do exist. He tramples all over boundaries obliviously. I'm the one who sits there making him aware that those boundaries are being crossed. It was when I said, "sorry if I'm crossing boundaries by asking you this, but..." to which he responded that he loves it when his own boundaries are crossed, thinks people don't do it enough. He doesn't get enough intensity usually. In context therefore, what the underlying message was, was essentially, "I don't even really have those boundaries in place, please ask more." In contrast to myself...he's a bit too much for me, but I sometimes can't assess where the lines are (not with him, I mean in general). I have some of that intensity, and it's in my nature to desire it...however, I'm mindful of, respectful of, and accommodating of others' boundaries. I'm unintrusive. Kind of goes hand in hand with 9's agreeableness / not being too assertive. Sometimes I hold back. If that happens, it feels like I'm just waiting for the openings to be able to eventually go in deeper, ease past boundaries...there's patience in the mix.

Regardless, I don't think awareness of boundaries could ever suffice as a reason for typing as Sx/Sp over Sx/So as a standalone element, as it is not foundational enough based on comparison to the baseline definitions of IVs. Plus, I think people are sometimes more balanced. The roomate is an extreme example.

I'm not even going to comment on the 8 part. Unhealthy 8s can become a bit sadistic, bully, etc. but that's only when unhealthy. Otherwise I think it's getting into stereotypes, 8s can be chill af. They have low neuroticism.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

If not mistaken, by "he" you mean my Sx/So roomate...no, he lacks awareness of boundaries but has awareness of his lack of awareness...similarly to how I am aware of missing social norms, yet I know that social norms I miss do exist. He tramples all over boundaries obliviously. I'm the one who sits there making him aware that those boundaries are being crossed. It was when I said, "sorry if I'm crossing boundaries by asking you this, but..." to which he responded that he loves it when his own boundaries are crossed, thinks people don't do it enough. He doesn't get enough intensity usually. In context therefore, what the underlying message was, was essentially, "I don't even really have those boundaries in place, please ask more." In contrast to myself...he's a bit too much for me, but I sometimes can't assess where the lines are (not with him, I mean in general). I have some of that intensity, and it's in my nature to desire it...however, I'm mindful of, respectful of, and accommodating of others' boundaries. I'm unintrusive. Kind of goes hand in hand with 9's agreeableness / not being too assertive. Sometimes I hold back. If that happens, it feels like I'm just waiting for the openings to be able to eventually go in deeper, ease past boundaries...there's patience in the mix.

Regardless, I don't think awareness of boundaries could ever suffice as a reason for typing as Sx/Sp over Sx/So as a standalone element, as it is not foundational enough based on comparison to the baseline definitions of IVs. Plus, I think people are sometimes more balanced. The roomate is an extreme example.

I'm not even going to comment on the 8 part. Unhealthy 8s can become a bit sadistic, bully, etc. but that's only when unhealthy. Otherwise I think it's getting into stereotypes, 8s can be chill af. They have low neuroticism.

Are you an ISTJ? Just wondering.

I see what you're saying about your roommate and I kinda relate to his perspective on boundaries to be honest, not that I obsess over it to the extent that he seems to possibly. I've always been a bit for shock value.

And I wasn't trying to make overgeneralizations, although that seems to be a way people commonly interpret my communications. Hmmm... *rubs chin*