• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts What do you dream about? (literal dreams during sleep)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I wonder would anyone like to hear some of the terrible nightmares that interfere with my ability to sleep?

I'm not sure you guys want to share the PTSD like symptoms though :cry::mellow:

I actually think this is a great idea for a thread because surely you aren't alone.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My dreams don't have too many recurring themes running through them. To the extent that they do, these themes include:

-Losing or breaking my teeth.
-Being ostracized.
-Having the ability to levitate.
-Knowing that I'm dreaming.
-Seeing myself from an external vantage point.
-Becoming someone else, always a person invented in that dream.

I don't think that the content of my dreams has much to do with my Enneagram instincts. If I were to go by my dreams, I would actually lean toward thinking I was Soc first, which I'm probably not.

Lark

I actually think this is a great idea for a thread because surely you aren't alone.

Really?

You ever have the dream that you notice small bumps moving beneath your skin and then scratching the skin causes bleeding and protruding insectoid heads like little wasps and you tear them out of your skin they stretch out and have horrible prawn like bodies covered in blood, the terror of removing them is matched only by the terror of more and more bumps appearing, some of the bodies being broken, left in the skin and the whole thing looking like the surface of those crater covered flowers that some assholes were photo shopping onto skin a while back.

On the horror index of what troubles me this is somewhere on a scale of one to ten of a two or two point five. I'd love to say that sharing that is going to provide some sort of relief to me but I know it wont.

Permabanned
Sometimes I don't have decks dreams instead

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Really?

You ever have the dream that you notice small bumps moving beneath your skin and then scratching the skin causes bleeding and protruding insectoid heads like little wasps and you tear them out of your skin they stretch out and have horrible prawn like bodies covered in blood, the terror of removing them is matched only by the terror of more and more bumps appearing, some of the bodies being broken, left in the skin and the whole thing looking like the surface of those crater covered flowers that some assholes were photo shopping onto skin a while back.

On the horror index of what troubles me this is somewhere on a scale of one to ten of a two or two point five. I'd love to say that sharing that is going to provide some sort of relief to me but I know it wont.

I don't find this sort of thing disturbing to hear, although i probably wouldn't love experiencing it.

I get that you don't have a need to bond over this stuff though. Still a good thread idea in general as a whole.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't have toilet or sex dreams (never have, which apparently is odd), but one I've read is common that I will have is teeth becoming loose or something else being wrong with them.

One I had a lot in college was discovering during finals week that I had signed up for a class I forgot about it, and not attending it all term has caused an unpreventable fail.

I am really happy when I have dreams where I express anger at something, because the overwhelming majority of the time in dreams I am not merely weak but literally mute. Often a dangerous creature will be chasing me, but I can barely manage to control my body enough to run. Other times the source of fear will be a person who I didn't want to see again, like maybe a bad ex. While they won't be chasing me, I might be hiding from them because that's all I can do without the power to speak, or I might be speaking to them because that's actually worse - the dream is that they contacted me and I keep responding back when that's actually something I never wanted to do again.

To devil's advocate against the inevitable interpretation that the inability to protect myself is a self-pres fear dream, for me I've come to realize is that fear of weakness is about who I don't measure up to. Not being their kind. Not being able to relate to them, being separated from them on a deep level by what I've failed to do but that they have done with their strength and bravery, envy from a distance. This figure could be someone I admire or love, a real or imagined grouping of people who mean something to me, or it could be an ideal self. It is about shame and inferiority, not the literal concrete danger that the weakness makes me vulnerable to, not pain.

The exception to being proud of anger dreams is a recurring nightmare where I am being horrible to family members or otherwise people I love, if not straight up abusive. Like, screaming at them over something tiny, making threats, or one time straight up biting my mom out in public. Late last year my sleep was traumatically interfered with, and the after effects of that included nighttime panic where I woke from one of these about a quarter of the time, although the dream content has zero to do with what I'd experienced that messed up my sleep.

What the dream content above obviously is about is that this has just always been a big fear of mine, that I have the capacity to be an abuser. The first thing that comes to mind when questioning where that comes from is that I was very temperamental, unloving and angry as a teenager at home, and while that might sound typical, I don't know and don't care. Also I had anxiety adding to it, so in that way it was not normal. To act in such a way would be beyond the pale with an adult lover, and I hope like fuck it is not as easy as I fear in my dreams for my will to fail in the face of stress and to regress to something juvenile. But another origin of the fear that my current therapist introduced me to, and that I was amazed not to have thought of before, is that it's not an uncommon fear in people who were abused to fear that they could abuse. I did not consider myself abused because my family wasn't abusive, but she suggested that bullying at school is a kind of abuse and can have similar impacts. Come to think of it, a couple school authorities went even more severe with me than that when I was having panic attacks. So that makes perfect sense too.

Lark

I don't find this sort of thing disturbing to hear, although i probably wouldn't love experiencing it.

I get that you don't have a need to bond over this stuff though. Still a good thread idea in general as a whole.

Its the first hand experience that's jarring, when I dream stuff like this its like living it.

That's not even the worst. Reading accounts like this can be disgusting but I usually find it simply curious. The thing about stuff like this, even sincere trauma disclosure can result in escalating narratives, when people tell stories which are progressively worse.

Then there's the risk, its pretty remote with random posts on a forum I would say but its still a thing of vicarious traumas, like I say I consider it remote but its like Tim Burton's Batman when Michael Keaton's Batman tells the reporter Vicky Vale how the Joker gas becomes toxic when the different products it is contained in are combined, forum posts wont do it alone but the proper mix of recessive genes and environment and who knows.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Re Stell's post, I am remembering I will occasionally have a dream tied to not having done any work for an entire semester, and I have also had a dream more than once about forgetting dance steps during a performance, things like that (I did ballet for a while growing up). Also I have had a rather odd recurring dream though not for a long time, about having 'forgotten' to feed or clean a cage of gerbils for like months or a year, and they're all tucked in a corner of a creepy basement furnace room or something, still somehow alive. This ties to having gerbils growing up, and I think this specifically ties to sometimes having let the cage go a bit too long without cleaning it, as well as with one of the batches we had, towards the end one of the girls got aggressive and attacked a few others, so we had to separate her out and put her in a little 'igloo' cooler with all her own food, water, etc, but I always thought that looked like a terrible place to live without any glass to look out of, seemed kind of abusive, and she didn't last long. They were all towards the end of their lives but still, I'm guessing that's the root of that particular dream.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Re Stell's post, I am remembering I will occasionally have a dream tied to not having done any work for an entire semester, and I have also had a dream more than once about forgetting dance steps during a performance, things like that (I did ballet for a while growing up). Also I have had a rather odd recurring dream though not for a long time, about having 'forgotten' to feed or clean a cage of gerbils for like months or a year, and they're all tucked in a corner of a creepy basement furnace room or something. This ties to having gerbils growing up, and I think this specifically ties to sometimes having let the cage go a bit too long without cleaning it, as well as with one of the batches we had, towards the end one of the girls got aggressive and attacked a few others, so we had to separate her out and put her in a little 'igloo' cooler with all her own food, water, etc, but I always thought that looked like a terrible place to live without any glass to look out of, seemed kind of abusive, and she didn't last long. They were all towards the end of their lives but still, I'm guessing that's the root of that particular dream.
Something sounds familiar about the hamster dream, but I can't quite reach what it is. I may have had something similar, if probably not with hamsters.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get incredibly surrealistic and or metaphorical dreams that make zero sense, but then I also get normal dreams like being late for class and can't find my classroom. Or having to use the bathroom, but all the stalls are disgusting, or the walls are too high up.

I tend to dream of alternate world, and shape shifting. I've explored vast underground labyrinths and cities. Stood at the nexus of several dimensions on a floating island of mythical creatures. I've traveled through space, and observed alien worlds.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My dreams are rarely realistic, but always very lengthy and very real-feeling.
Sometimes they are particularly absurd.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a lot of dreams where I'm expressing anger toward people I've had conflicts with. Like full blown angry rants, which is completely different from how I normally react in conflict situations. I also frequently have dreams where I'm trying to talk but can't, especially if I need help from someone else. These are often frustrating and can even be distressing, and I frequently wake up in the middle of them. I'm sure a psychoanalyst would have a field day with this, but I don't attribute much to the dreams other my mind trying to unconsciously deal with things causing stress or anxiety in my life, and maybe a wish to be more expressive.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really?

This might not be what you want to hear, but there was once a time when I was living in conditions so grim that mice and giant cockroaches would walk over me in my sleep. This used to give me dreams about them laying eggs in my skin, living in slits I cut with a razor blade on my back, hatching out of my skin, and disintegrating inside me. These were the big tropical flying ones. I'd generally be covered in filth in these dreams. You're right, they're about 2 or 3 on the horror index.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was younger, I had a lot of dreams about being naked. Like I would just be walking in some normal place like a grocery store or a school hallway, and my clothes would vanish. These are very rare now.

I have always had a lot of dreams about losing teeth as well. I find them strange.

A lot of my dreams are strange and incomprehensible messes with point of view shifts and nonsense at every turn.

I'm lucky that i don't have many nightmares. But then, for me a nightmare is something I see as absurd once I'm awake.

I have dreams about finishing school assignments as well. Lately, I've been more aware in the dreams and stopping working because "it's summer," "I'm not scheduled for any of these classes this semester," or "I graduated from high school already, so why am I being expected to write high school papers?" I have discussed these with my Dad, and he has them too despite that fact he finished his education about 30 years ago.

One of my favorite dreams I've had involved me baking brownies. So I'm mixing the batter, and put some on my spoon to taste. But the brownie batter doesn't taste like chocolate at all. It's awful actually! I suddenly wake up and find that I am biting down on and tasting my pillow. Such a mundane dream, but I think it's pretty funny just because of how it ends.

Sometimes enotions from dreams I've had carry over to the real world. For instance, a few months ago I had a dream where I was yelling at one of my best friends for something stupid that I don't remember. My first though when I woke up was, "I was way too harsh, I need to apologize." I start writing out an apology text on my phone, then it struck me that it never happened. I didn't need to feel guilty and apologize because it was all in my head. So I changed my message to be about the dream and my reaction to it instead.

rav3n

Can't remember the majority of my dreams. They fade very soon after waking up. But the emotional residue from them is usually neutral to happy.

The most recent one that I barely recall was running wild in nature, in a primitive existence. It was a happy dream, one full of freedom, wonder and delight. To translate it to real life, my husband will be taking early retirement too, in a couple of years. We have plans to move to a rural forested acreage, far away enough from any township to be away from people but close enough to buy supplies. With the possibility of brexit being overturned, the U.K. is one of the countries being considered since he's an ex-pat and has dual citizenship. Australia's another consideration but we'd both have to apply for citizenship.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Can't remember the majority of my dreams. They fade very soon after waking up. But the emotional residue from them is usually neutral to happy.

The most recent one that I barely recall was running wild in nature, in a primitive existence. It was a happy dream, one full of freedom, wonder and delight. To translate it to real life, my husband will be taking early retirement too, in a couple of years. We have plans to move to a rural forested acreage, far away enough from any township to be away from people but close enough to buy supplies. With the possibility of brexit being overturned, the U.K. is one of the countries being considered since he's an ex-pat and has dual citizenship. Australia's another consideration but we'd both have to apply for citizenship.

Super jealous.

rav3n

Super jealous.
The other two countries are possibilities but so is remaining on the North American continent, whether U.S. or Canada. It all depends on what's worth the move, where bigoted countries will be avoided.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
UK?? Come to Wales and buy my house from me.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
These days, I have really weird dreams that don't seem to mean anytihng. Last night, there was a black top hat and it kept sliding around from blocks of ice in the ocean. It was in cartoon style too. So I think the dream is about how I had to recently watch a horrible children's cartoon that didn't make much sense either. Maybe it would've made sense if I was paying attention but I wasn't. I just kept looking up at my tv every once in a while and seeing this Rainbow Brite-looking thing doing something with ice floating in the ocean. Anyways. that's a lot of how my dreams go. I used to dream about the video games I played. Maybe I might start making note of my dreams better and finding some better meaning to them.