• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Sexual / Intimate First Support Group

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Taking the idea from the Social Last Support Group, this can be a place for Sx doms to share and vent.

I'll start by saying it's a relief to find that there are others who share similar experiences and struggles. When I was young, I thought everyone felt the same way. After finding out they don't, it was too easy to think that there's something wrong with the way I am, with the intensity, the need.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i might be too jaded at this point to even know what to say about it...

too many attempts to jump-start connections over the years, and things just typically fizzling or being held at arms length. If you're non-invasive by nature in addition to SX leanings, then it's hard to get one's needs met.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
i might be too jaded at this point to even know what to say about it...

too many attempts to jump-start connections over the years, and things just typically fizzling or being held at arms length. If you're non-invasive by nature in addition to SX leanings, then it's hard to get one's needs met.

Care to elaborate on the "attempts to jump-start connections"?

I am not well-versed in instinctual variants, but I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. How common is it to be SX-first?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The "anti-social" social type is often given as an example of how one might not realize for a while how much their life actually does revolve around their dominant, even if their particular issues toward it involve obsessing over their distance from it. Anyway, checking in as the equivalent Sx-dom.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
neat thread,^_^

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
HI I CAN'T KEEP FRIENDS CUZ THEY FEEL ITS TOO FAST :rofl1:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My gf is nearly the same typing as me, except for being sx first. It's completely intriguing how alien that feels to me in some places. I always have the sense that I'm like a tree (sp-first), and I have to draw energy from what I'm attached to to keep stable and engaged. She feels to me like she's a humming bird and has to move constantly from nectar laden flower to flower to keep healthy. Occasionally the difference is alienating, until I decide to just chill out, like a good tree.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
**In a deserted wasteland, during a pitch-black night, he sees some campfire**
**Slowly and confidently walks towards the light**
**"Ah, I'm saved."**
**It's a group of sx/sp people**
**Suddenly starts running away deeper and deeper towards the darkness and into infinity**

Starry

My gf is nearly the same typing as me, except for being sx first. It's completely intriguing how alien that feels to me in some places. I always have the sense that I'm like a tree (sp-first), and I have to draw energy from what I'm attached to to keep stable and engaged. She feels to me like she's a humming bird and has to move constantly from nectar laden flower to flower to keep healthy. Occasionally the difference is alienating, until I decide to just chill out, like a good tree.

I’m interested in understanding this hummingbird analogy better...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Care to elaborate on the "attempts to jump-start connections"?

I was writing off the cuff...

... but basically for me (since I seem to be kind of zilch SO in my focus, and with strong bits of SX and SP), I get energy back from deep intense relationships but lose energy fast on other types of relationships. So I'm burning resources to reach out, and typically a lot of people either aren't that responsive (i.e., I have to do all the initiating to engage) or are happier operating on a more surface or casual level.

So my tendency is to feel people out quickly and determine how to invest my energy efficiently.

It's not as cut-and-dried as I make it sound. I try to be realistic in my expectations. It's just that I'm old enough now, I know I also have to invest over a long haul to build a relationship, but I've also learned to feel out how deep/intense the relationship will likely be based on the response I'm getting back, so... I dunno. There's a variety of SX types and it would be easy to seem invasive because I want to cut past all the surface chatter and casual stuff and talk about deeply personal things, but I'm also not someone who is naturally invasive, so... I don't push and basically my interaction circle can feel small.

It's not that I don't see value in more casual relationships (they're useful), but they don't make me happy at a core level whereas I feel like that kind of "professional/casual community" relationship network is satisfying for some people. [I really am not SO at all. Some people feel very satisfied in life being known in a large group and having a role, etc. With me, I feel faceless and disconnected and lost even if everyone knows who I am, like I'm not part of anything.] I try to maintain those as best I can by making small talk when the situations come up, and I make myself accessible to others as best as I can, and I contribute to groups as I can (I believe in service as a way to show a commitment) but typically I usually feel adrift in a big empty universe on the personal level... alone, pretty much. I just don't often meet folks who dive straight in. Usually those people are easier to meet online since we're not bound by geography. And see, if I was pure Self-Pres, I wouldn't care. But I do... I feel like I'm slowly bleeding away even when my life is stable and I'm content in that much.

I probably could have said all that better, but I've been sick for a few days and just don't have energy anyway. I feel tired just from writing that much. Meh.

Permabanned
I'm not an Sx first but I play one on TV.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m interested in understanding this hummingbird analogy better...

*hummingbird is a relative term...this is something I’ve immediately taken away from this and feel enriched... And in this way I think I’m getting tripped up on my understanding of this amazing and sometimes frightening bird when it flies close and the sound and speed makes me believe it is a Jurassic insect and jump out of my skin....

In my mind when I’m moving from flower to flower that’s me trying to avoid something (7 - enneagram gold is the only way to describe it).

To me sx dominance..: well it’s like you can hear others saying “please stop doing this one thing that you have been doing for a super long time and with a degree of intensity that is making others uncomfortable...”. <- So you can see why I want to understand your meaning...

So, my metaphors are totally idiosyncratic, mind you. I feel like sx has more of a hummingbird quality than e7. So like you said, e7s read to me more as slippery in nature, continually self distracting. Sx is deep and intense and sustains the dom, but it's very rare that any one person or subject can hold up to that intensity indefinitely, so Sx has a tendency to move around, looking for new sources of nectar, returning to flowers that have been able to replenish their supply. E7 'flightiness' is essentially avoidance, Sx intensity isn't always avoidance, it's often growth.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I was writing off the cuff...

... but basically for me (since I seem to be kind of zilch SO in my focus, and with strong bits of SX and SP), I get energy back from deep intense relationships but lose energy fast on other types of relationships. So I'm burning resources to reach out, and typically a lot of people either aren't that responsive (i.e., I have to do all the initiating to engage) or are happier operating on a more surface or casual level.

So my tendency is to feel people out quickly and determine how to invest my energy efficiently.

It's not as cut-and-dried as I make it sound. I try to be realistic in my expectations. It's just that I'm old enough now, I know I also have to invest over a long haul to build a relationship, but I've also learned to feel out how deep/intense the relationship will likely be based on the response I'm getting back, so... I dunno. There's a variety of SX types and it would be easy to seem invasive because I want to cut past all the surface chatter and casual stuff and talk about deeply personal things, but I'm also not someone who is naturally invasive, so... I don't push and basically my interaction circle can feel small.

It's not that I don't see value in more casual relationships (they're useful), but they don't make me happy at a core level whereas I feel like that kind of "professional/casual community" relationship network is satisfying for some people. [I really am not SO at all. Some people feel very satisfied in life being known in a large group and having a role, etc. With me, I feel faceless and disconnected and lost even if everyone knows who I am, like I'm not part of anything.] I try to maintain those as best I can by making small talk when the situations come up, and I make myself accessible to others as best as I can, and I contribute to groups as I can (I believe in service as a way to show a commitment) but typically I usually feel adrift in a big empty universe on the personal level... alone, pretty much. I just don't often meet folks who dive straight in. Usually those people are easier to meet online since we're not bound by geography. And see, if I was pure Self-Pres, I wouldn't care. But I do... I feel like I'm slowly bleeding away even when my life is stable and I'm content in that much.

I probably could have said all that better, but I've been sick for a few days and just don't have energy anyway. I feel tired just from writing that much. Meh.

Hmm I think I am an sp/sx, but I can relate to quite a bit of what you have written.

I, too, try to feel people out, but I wonder how often I am correct.

Anyways, thanks for sharing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, my metaphors are totally idiosyncratic, mind you. I feel like sx has more of a hummingbird quality than e7. So like you said, e7s read to me more as slippery in nature, continually self distracting. Sx is deep and intense and sustains the dom, but it's very rare that any one person or subject can hold up to that intensity indefinitely, so Sx has a tendency to move around, looking for new sources of nectar, returning to flowers that have been able to replenish their supply. E7 'flightiness' is essentially avoidance, Sx intensity isn't always avoidance, it's often growth.

I wasn't sure where you were going with the hummingbird analogy, it's not one that readily came to mind, but your explanation makes sense and I relate to the part about moving around because of the limited ability of anything to maintain an intense enough connection. (I feel some guilt because it can sound from the outside like a vampire of sorts, but typically the other person is also keyed into the same thing and we both "get it" and what we both want and need so it's a mutual engagement where souls are meeting....) And yes, the comparison to e7 which aims to diffuse and experience in part as avoidance... I don't leave a source to avoid, I leave either because we're both out of energy in that connection or (my own thing) I sometimes just get anxious I'm invading in some way and/or don't want to feel intrusive.

(... some of that for me is less personality theory, more behavioral learning dealing with dysfunctional parents problem, where I always felt like I was a bother with my dad and he would lock us all out of his life and try to make people feel guilty if they ever wanted to engage him past the surface. Behavior stems from inborn traits + environmental learning...)

Starry

I don’t have a proper response to this yet...and look forward to reading Totemkindly’s as I noticed she replied...but this is awesome. It’s extraordinary to me when people take the time to explain what they see...from some angle of sight you, yourself can’t bend far enough to catch a glimpse of... Its just so valuable...thank you Qlip

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I apologize for taking a bit to come back and write more. I wanted to wait until my thoughts would be more coherent.

In the Social last support group thread, [MENTION=22480]brainheart[/MENTION] linked to a description of sx 4s: [Enneagram Type 4] Fine Distinctions  Fours  Tom Condon

And we chatted about, despite being introverted types who do not naturally initiate in social situations, feeling compelled in certain situations to initiate when there's a strong magnetic pull toward someone. For myself, I don't mean impulsive. Perhaps much of the reason I've been told it's "overwhelming", "too much", or found myself met with the other person's inability to communicate much of anything, is because I likely waited a bit too long, and allowed the feelings to boil up and out. I did honestly think that was what people did: grand declarations of love, outpourings of emotion, vulnerable honesty. I was extremely hurt when the response to my vulnerability and honesty, and the compliment I considered it to be, the gift I thought I was giving, was met with silence by several people. I understand more about their reaction now, can see how it was more from their points of view, but at the time, it felt like they were saying I wasn't worth responding to, I wasn't even worth rejecting.

So I share Totenkindly's frustrations with feeling like I do the initiating much of the time. Of course, with that being the case, when someone else initiates, I don't always know how I ought to react. And now it's making me wonder about boundaries. There's advice that people shouldn't expect everything from one person; it's too much. And it is, really. You can't reasonably expect to get everything you need from other people from one person. But how do you decide where the boundaries go?

I also feel that, despite the movie cliches, there's an attitude that you shouldn't want so intensely to find that connection; like it means there's something wrong with you (Why don't you just look for whatever it is in yourself? Or build up your own self esteem so you don't need that connection), or that you're unrealistic and too idealistic (Okay, maybe they got me there, but what's the alternative? Just give up? Never be satisfied? - Maybe I won't be, it's likely I'm a 469 or 496 so doubt is inherent.)

And I am by no means at an advanced level of understanding. Some of what I'm talking about could have more to do with being an INFP or my enneagram type or something else entirely. Feel free to say that if you think it.