• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Mercurial So/Sx's

bluejay

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
A wee lil question fro So/Sx's and So/Sx aficionados... ;)

How do you relate to the idea of being mercurial?.. do you act differently around different people, especially those you vibe with and those you don't?

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A wee lil question fro So/Sx's and So/Sx aficionados... ;)

How do you relate to the idea of being mercurial?.. do you act differently around different people, especially those you vibe with and those you don't?

I act like myself. Though which aspects of my personality are expressed and in what degree is somewhat influenced by the person I’m interacting with, or situational context. I can get along affably with most people, even if I dislike them.

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I heard of this mercurial so/sx but I'm still not sure what it means or is about. Could you expand on that?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I heard of this mercurial so/sx but I'm still not sure what it means or is about. Could you expand on that?

I think they're referring to the chameleon-like quality where so/sx types act differently based on who they're interfacing with. I think there's some truth to it, but I don't think it's specific to so/sx types. I feel most people usually act more authentic with those they've developed a close bond of trust with. Around people that are more on acquaintance level, there's a guardedness and formality that's placed up because of wanting to protect one's vulnerability and also not wanting to overstep boundaries.

However, among people close in my life, I will say I do behave differently between them, but I feel like that speaks on the language that develops in close relationships? In a romantic relationship, I feel you develop a secret language that's only spoken between you and your partner and no one else - I think the same can be said of close platonic relationships. While my bubbliness and caring personality carries over throughout my interactions, I do express different mannerisms with different people I'm close with. With my LGBT friends, we engage in a lot more jargon that's specific to the community. With my nerdier friends, the style of humor that plays into our interactions is totally different. I'd like to say this adaptation of mannerisms is universal, but maybe so/sx amplifies this quality while so-last types are more static across their relationships. Introversion vs Extroversion and Fi vs Fe probably play into this as well