• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Figuring out my instinctual stack/ figuring out instincts in general

galloway

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hello all,

I'm new here but not new to typing in general. (I had an account on PerC under a different username although haven't been to that site in a good long while).

I have never managed to really grok instincts/instinct stackings and I want to try again.

First of all, I'm confused because there seem to be a lot of opinions out there about what instincts mean. For example, Beatrice Chestnuts subtypes often are the exact opposite of what general non-type specific stack descriptions say...

I was hoping to recruit help to shed light on my own stacking.

So, a few things about me, that seem relevant to the question at hand.

SO:

When I was a pre-teen I was pretty concerned with fitting in. I drew a diagram of my class's social dynamics to explain to my mother my various concerns. In high school, having settled comfortable into my group of friends, "fitting in" stopped being something I was worried about. I have since moved overseas, where I have less of a social support network. Where I currently live I have no friends. This does bother me-- one of the [articular things that bothers me is not having anyone to rely on for help with minor things (needing a ride somewhere, borrowing something).

We are exploring where to move to long term and I am paying attention to whether the people there are my "taste". Just talking to people in the various neighborhoods we are exploring and seeing if I feel comfortable and enjoy talking with them. I also ask how open people would be to attending social things I arrange, because where we live right now the answer was no one, and it made it hard to make friends.

Especially as I am settled pretty comfortably in life I kind of want to be able to contribute, as well. I don't identify as a very socially mkinded person but life does get empty if you're not contributing somewhere.

That said, I can be pretty oblivious, pretty blunt, and a bit ambivalent about status.

SP:

I worry a lot about SP concerns. Money, mortgage, where to live, general safety, comfort. In many ways I match SP first.
Unfortunately in many ways I match SP last. I'm atrocious at taking care of myself. I forget to eat. I forget to sleep. I'm not down to earth, I'm a space cadet.
I constantly feel like I'm forgetting essential things related to money competence (I have a terror of debt and therefore have none, but I have no idea what I' doing vis a vis investments, taxes, etc, and thinking about it starts to make me nauseous because of my fear of screwing up)

SX:

I'm happily married. I would describe our relationship as "comfortable, cozy, safe" which is exactly how I want it to be. I am not drawn to the idea of a "passionate" (read: risky, scary, dangerous) relationship.

I found dating to be stressful because there were a lot of feelings and feelings were dangerous. Even married, I find the depth and intensity of my feelings for my husband frightening and I try to hide them from myself because otherwise they would overwhelm and panic me. I'm intellectually aware, I just try to separate myself from the emotional experience because it's too much. Similarly towards my daughter it's a constant "too much" feeling, I love her too much and it's overwhelming.

All that said, I am someone drawn to intense experiences, I do go directly for the "juice" of an encounter (give me your deepest darkest secrets, etc), and other people do describe me as intense. I worry about my relationships a lot, I'm scared of messing them up so I do constantly take temperature of how things are going.