• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Is your second instinctual weak, mid-range, or strong?

Boogie man

Da Voodoo
MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
Seems like a pretty flimsy theory, some instinct stacks are barely talked about vis-a-vis others. Unfinished to say the least.

Probably midrange.. hard to tell because they know how to keep things vague and abstract, making it too easy for people to rationalize the application of the theory. Needs a reality check.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting theory... Somehow I can see myself in both strong side and weak side sp/so just because I'm so aware of my sp :/ . All in all though, probably either weakside if we are basing this on description alone

sp/so weakside (strong soc) - draws from so/sx to produce what is overall a lighter, friendlier, and more humor employing style within self pres (though funny through conscious effort and without much irony, unlike strongsiders who are relatively less aware of how they're perceived). can seem more sociable than many so/sp's, and better embodying of a common touch. a notable degree of social consciousness tempers their more private security seeking instinct, so not surprisingly weaksiders can seem soc first, often with a certain generous or self sacrificial quality. the self deprecator, the sidekick, the philanthropist. james dobson, dan rather, david letterman, rush limbaugh, steven spielberg, al franken, don rickles, woody allen, ray romano, michael moore, jerry brown, charles barkley. fictionals: charlie brown, piglet, mr tumnus, threepio.

Mesmeric_Moon

Soul Reaver
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I'm not quite buying this.
Strong, moderate and weak seem to be defined here as having a good handle on them.
From that perspective right now I see mine as:
Sx:moderate
So:moderate
Sp:notoriously bad/hard to focus on
From the descriptions flirter and coolside fit me better then fireside, flirter is probably the best fit but not quite, because pretty much this:
Seems like a pretty flimsy theory, some instinct stacks are barely talked about vis-a-vis others. Unfinished to say the least.

Probably midrange.. hard to tell because they know how to keep things vague and abstract, making it too easy for people to rationalize the application of the theory. Needs a reality check.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Midrange Social.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My second instinctual variant, so is pretty strong. It actively affects me, notably in group situations. Kind of thinking about my niche in the group, how I affect other people, what others are feeling. I tend to focus on the other members of a group. Even though I'm an extreme introvert, when I'm comfortable enough in a group setting, I've taken on a leadership sort of role before.

It is rare that I get to this level of comfort so most of the time, the stuff involving my second variant is internalized. I'm not good at it but I do focus a lot on other's needs. I have heard of some people whose second variant is not clear or strong though. When I was younger, social IV things didn't come naturally to me but it had to be learned. When I first got into IV, I've questioned so/sp a few times.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh wow, sp/so weakside for me. To the point I considered and seriously typed as soc dom once.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually don't relate to any of these, but I will go through them one-by-one:

fireside sx/so - strong sx, weak soc and weaker sp. pulls from sp/sx shadow to intensify sx. exhibitionism, wild abandon, most 'on fire' of all stacks or stack ranges.
I could see this, except I don't tend to plaster myself all over the social sphere, and I consider sx dominance as pretty "on fire" to begin with. I don't relate to this because I am shy and withdrawn socially, and as an introvert, I will get overwhelmed by having too many people focus on me at once, or having to deal with too many people at once. I also lacked confidence in myself and I believe all my instincts were affected due to that.

flirter sx/so - strong sx, moderate soc, weak sp. highly sociable and extroverted per type, flirtatious interaction style, more coy than firesiders but more risque than coolsiders.
I don't flirt lol. I am very serious with regards to people I am attracted to and want to build that sx bond with. My style is sincere and I do not play around, play games, or frivolously flirt when I don't have interest...

coolside sx/so - strong sx, strong soc, weak sp. pulls from so/sp secondary, political activist streak, 'cooled' by soc with some intellectual reserve, channels sx into social causes.
I relate to the intellectual reserve part, but not the "political activist streak" part, because I am usually quite uninterested in politics. Even if it were at the smaller level, say with a group of friends. My attention just doesn't go there. I also relate to the "coolside" title only in the sense that fireside seems to be referring to extroverts, Se valuers, etc. and I am not that aggressive adn in your face. I was "wild abandon" for a very long time, all throughout my teens, but it was all one-on-one. I did not seek out a social stage or arena of any kind. I guess my attention just didn't go there. I am just beginning to be slightly more balanced but that may be because I am at a stage of life where I need to put serious attention on SP (education, building a career and such).

So I don't know where to put myself, I don't match those descriptions. I also think you can move around on the continuum. Anyways, simply going by 'strength' (in how much I care about the needs of the specific instinct), I may be closer to midrange, and perhaps somewhere between midrange and fireside.

But I am still not entirely sure on this lol.

Jiya

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
7w6
Having gone through this, I think that I am some kind of social dominant, but the general strength of my sx is quite arguable. I am more insouciant and irreverent than being ingratiating, but at the same time people have told me that I come off as very approachable. That puzzles me because I never jump right into social relations, there is an element of caution and seeing who draws me in, who is worth my time because when I decide to give myself to a person or thing, it is all in, baby. But I have been burned before, so now I guess I exercise more discretion. I typically do have knee jerk reactions against sheeple, and don't find myself belonging within groups. All my life, whether it was school, college or work, I never missed it once I left. I kept looking forward to the next big thing. I didn't really feel like I belonged except with a specific set of people who I then focused all my energy on, usually 2-3 people. So, I can relate to the darksider range in that I don't give a damn much but am very conscious at the same time about what I am ignoring/avoiding in terms of soc matters/concerns. I could be a mid ranger because it flips between both. I don't know if this is because of being demi, but the strong flirty energy and laser focus takes a while to kick in.

*shrug * Thoughts?

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
midrange probably

but I don't relate to any of those descriptions for sx/so from typewatch

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, that was interesting to read. I'd say that my second variant is quite strong. I used to type as sp-first.

sx/sp wanderer (strong sp) - the most clasically 'blocked' of the sx's, often exchanging intimacy in favor of the more immediate pleasures of the body. paradoxically the most wandering and restless of the sx/sp's. pulls from sp/so to ensure the sx flood is contained by the sp levee, which can provide a sense of stability at the expense of seeming put off by others.

This description is very relatable. Also explains why I don't relate as much to some sx/sps (typically the ones with weaker sp).

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'd say my so is pretty strong; I've considered so dom a few times cause they say the first instinct causes the most pain, and it definitely causes me pain. Plus, they say that the first and last instincts are the most wounded...they're definitely wounded. It's hard though, because I'm not sure it's the most important(though both sp and so matters are important). Plus, sp feels the most natural and instinctual even if so matters are important too. The sp/so weakside description is spot on for me:

sp/so weakside (strong soc) - draws from so/sx to produce what is overall a lighter, friendlier, and more humor employing style within self pres (though funny through conscious effort and without much irony, unlike strongsiders who are relatively less aware of how they're perceived). can seem more sociable than many so/sp's, and better embodying of a common touch. a notable degree of social consciousness tempers their more private security seeking instinct, so not surprisingly weaksiders can seem soc first, often with a certain generous or self sacrificial quality. the self deprecator, the sidekick, the philanthropist. james dobson, dan rather, david letterman, rush limbaugh, steven spielberg, al franken, don rickles, woody allen, ray romano, michael moore, jerry brown, charles barkley. fictionals: charlie brown, piglet, mr tumnus, threepio.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
seducer - sx with no brakes
mystifier - sx with an emergency break

Somewhere between the two I meet, one foot hovering over the brake, wanting the one who makes me stomp the gas.

Apeironstella

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I cycle through all three ranges depending to how much social battery I have in a day, honestly.

My friends and close family would probably consider me warmsider (as I've self typed as so/sx for a good while too), given I do like to come off very friendly and at times goofy, especially when with people I feel like I "click" with to show more of myself more easily; while more distant family members/people I keep my distance with would see the midrange behavior; and I definitely pull from sp/sx when it comes to how badly I can hermit it up, so long as I'm getting my so juice through talking to people online+there is no pressing enough sp worry to get me actually interacting with people I'm not really interested in talking to. (even if I automatically switch to my "polite voice" whenever I talk to anyone I'm not all that familiar with, which can include actual family members I keep my distance with.)