• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] An educational guide to surviving so territory

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed that there are some things that us so-last types aren't always aware of.

I was wondering if there were perhaps some general "so dos and don'ts?"

And or this could be a thread in which to ask whether something is socially appropriate or not, etc.

I'll provide more specific questions/examples shortly.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've noticed that there are some things that us so-last types aren't always aware of.

And or this could be a thread in which to ask whether something is socially appropriate or not, etc.

I'll provide more specific questions shortly.

Ohh this should be an interesting thread! Perhaps I can help out here. I feel I'm pretty clued into the social scene and all the norms/expectations, but whether I actually act on them is entirety different. I recognize that they are there nonetheless.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright, a couple things I've noticed. Also feel free to chime in if you don't think what i'm saying is related to so-ness.

Some "Don'ts" that I've noticed or things that I'd like feedback on:

1) Don't ask too personal of questions. Especially not too soon.

-Personally, I don't know how long this takes. And i'm not sure how to get to know someone if I don't ask them personal things haha. So what's the rule? Wait until they bring it up?

2)
If you're in a group don't break off into separate conversations?

-I have found this to be very strange, but I've actually been nudged to stop doing this before.

3) this one's silly But when, if ever is it a good time to friend request your extp cable guy?

[MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION] That's it for now

Kas

Fabula rasa
Alright, a couple things I've noticed. Also feel free to chime in if you don't think what i'm saying is related to so-ness.

Some "Don'ts" that I've noticed or things that I'd like feedback on:

1) Don't ask too personal of questions. Especially not too soon.

-Personally, I don't know how long this takes. And i'm not sure how to get to know someone if I don't ask them personal things haha. So what's the rule? Wait until they bring it up?
I relate to the first one.

You can wait until they start talking about this and then asked them questions, because you were already invited to do so. Or you can ask them questions before, but with no insisting and letting them change the subject if they’re not comfortable talking about it yet; or changing subject yourself when you see they are not comfortable talking about this. They will respect you for the consideration, trust you more and become more willing to talk with you about what they find private(because I guess it's subjective).

There isn’t any particular time, I just like when someone getting to know me respects my personal space too. And it’s important to me that I can trust them and that they keep what say to themselves when they asked about something private.

There are exceptions too. I remember being shot with questions just after I met someone and it was a very interested conversation; I also have a friend who asks a personal questions all the time and he used to do so since I met him. But in his case it’s different, because he is very open himself. Maybe that could help? I think it’s easier to share something meaningful about yourself with someone who shared something meaningful with you. That it can breaks some boundaries in more subtle way.

2)
If you're in a group don't break off into separate conversations?

-I have found this to be very strange, but I've actually been nudged to stop doing this before.

About second I don’t mind when the group gets divided and parts are talking separately, when the group is big it’s natural. But I don’t like when two people start to talk about something others don’t get without explaining, whisper with each other or keep making some signs, jokes that others don’t understand… Because then why they met the others in first place. I understand they can have subjects they prefer only to discuss alone… But when I meet someone I haven’t seen a long time, it’s a good friend of mine and we plan to meet with other people, I just plan to meet them earlier alone, talk about with them individually and then meet others.

3) this one's silly But when, if ever is it a good time to friend request your extp cable guy?

You don't mean literally cable guy, or do you? Playing not-native-speaker card.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

As it was already said So instinct is more of a awareness than following.

For me the list looks like this:

Don't roll over a person if you don't really have to. (it gives bad rep.)
Start with softer topic and then see if a person can follow. If yes go to the next level.
Ask yourself who is in charge of all this. (pretty much always someone is)
Ask yourself to who you should pass on the the info you have.
Ask yourself is x even legal ?
Your look matters.
Don't open your cards too much or too often.
Makes sure that important people know or notice you, since you can use them as leverage for your ideas or support gaining.
In the case you don't know who they are ... try to figure out that.
Make propositions to the groups of people.
Don't make promises you will probably not keep.
Know what and when something will make certain people "vulnerable" or how to play the system into your advantage.
Speak freely when you know you are right. Most people are actually submissive in the case that someone has obviously better argument.

As long as you keep these in mind you should be generally ok. :)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Start with softer topic and then see if a person can follow. If yes go to the next level.
Your look matters.
Makes sure that important people know or notice you, since you can use them as leverage for your ideas or support gaining.
Know what and when something will make certain people "vulnerable" or how to play the system into your advantage.
Speak freely when you know you are right. Most people are actually submissive in the case that someone has obviously better argument.

Just out of curiosity, do you always have these sorts of "rules" in mind when interacting, or do you tend to just go with the flow and intuitively know how to read an environment? I ask because much of what you said are things I relate to as knowing, but it's never really all that conscious for me. I sort of feel out the room, talk to who I need to talk to, and figure people out. Most of that is just out of genuine curiosity for people but it's true, some people help your status more than others and knowing where people stand is vitally important if you want to get anywhere. It's all a game really... That's how it feels for me.

But just because I see the game for what it is, hardly means I actually play the game. I tend to just see it from the sidelines and laugh to myself inside at the whole social dance.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Just out of curiosity, do you always have these sorts of "rules" in mind when interacting, or do you tend to just go with the flow and intuitively know how to read an environment? I ask because much of what you said are things I relate to as knowing, but it's never really all that conscious for me. I sort of feel out the room, talk to who I need to talk to, and figure people out. Most of that is just out of genuine curiosity for people but it's true, some people help your status more than others and knowing where people stand is vitally important if you want to get anywhere. It's all a game really... That's how it feels for me.

But just because I see the game for what it is, hardly means I actually play the game. I tend to just see it from the sidelines and laugh to myself inside at the whole social dance.

That depends on how important is the issue at hand and how much I care about it. I am aware of these things quite often but sometimes I don't want to play along ... especially if I don't want to get closer to some people. For me So instict is more about "getting most out of it" than following every rule for the sake of following the rules.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That depends on how important is the issue at hand and how much I care about it. I am aware of these things quite often but sometimes I don't want to play along ... especially if I don't want to get closer to some people. For me So instict is more about "getting most out of it" than following every rule for the sake of following the rules.

Right, right. Agreed. It's funny because a lot of these social "rules" if we shall call them that, are so painfully obvious to me and I'm sure they are to you or any other So dom, that I just assumed everyone knew these things as well. Then, you get that socially awkward person that doesn't know what they're doing, and I then just tend to think, ok, do they KNOW they're being horribly awkward or is there some motive behind this ruse?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Right, right. Agreed. It's funny because a lot of these social "rules" if we shall call them that, are so painfully obvious to me and I'm sure they are to you or any other So dom, that I just assumed everyone knew these things as well. Then, you get that socially awkward person that doesn't know what they're doing, and I then just tend to think, ok, do they KNOW they're being horribly awkward or is there some motive behind this ruse?

In that case just presume that the person is socially clumsy or they are trying to get the attention. Even I go for shock strategy sometimes in order to impress or impact.

However I generally skip the protocol/emotional part of So instintict and focus more on more practical/Te things: is water polluted, holes in justice systems, economy, politics (real politics not daily politics), debating/spreading information ... etc. This is what really interest me.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Your look matters.

You make it sound so easy haha. I think that I understand why I lack these kinds of things though now that I've read that. I just simply do not care about a lot of the things on that list for example.

Do these things energize you? Because just thinking about applying them to real life, I can see it would drain me quickly. I'm not sure how to strike a balance there.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You make it sound so easy haha. I think that I understand why I lack these kinds of things though now that I've read that. I just simply do not care about a lot of the things on that list for example.

Do these things energize you? Because just thinking about applying them to real life, I can see it would drain me quickly. I'm not sure how to strike a balance there.

As [MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION] pointed out, it's an awareness of these things, actually acting and playing by the rules is another. At least for me, that's why it isn't draining per se, because it actually doesn't take any effort on my end. Where it can conflict though, is when I don't take the time to reflect and understand where my true desires really lie. Do I want to progress and excel in the social environment, does status and rank truly apply to me? Or are those more superficial needs that don't actually pertain to my true needs. That divide is often where my internal conflict lies, rather than playing the game itself. The game isn't draining at all.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As [MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION] pointed out, it's an awareness of these things, actually acting and playing by the rules is another. At least for me, that's why it isn't draining per se, because it actually doesn't take any effort on my end. Where it can conflict though, is when I don't take the time to reflect and understand where my true desires really lie. Do I want to progress and excel in the social environment, does status and rank truly apply to me? Or are those more superficial needs that don't actually pertain to my true needs. That divide is often where my internal conflict lies, rather than playing the game itself. The game isn't draining at all.

Yeah. I tend not to apply or care about social ranking and such in my personal life, though I'm extremely aware what it would take for me to achieve 'status' or to be viewed in a certain way by such and such people. However I find so-dom has been extremely useful in the workplace, as I've always coasted along, not ruffled feathers (unless I decide feathers need to be ruffled), I very smoothly navigate the corporate world and people dynamics... which I'm not a part of anymore thank goodness. But still, what Virtual Ghost outlined is a pretty decent basic list, especially in the workplace. For me too, it doesn't take energy or effort, I just notice it. :huh: But I agree, it doesn't mean I automatically play along. I agree it can be very much a game in the business world at least. (and there are so-doms, particularly e3's and other more extroverted ones, who also do the game thing in their social world too, though I can't relate. Though I do know how I 'fall short' as viewed by those who do)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Yes but indirectly, I like to get things done or going and these are simply the means how to do that. I have fallen into pseudo INTJness exactly becuse my environment didn't allow me to do stuff from that list and I became cut off from my needs and desires. Essentally I need social/environmental impact to feel complete.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A guide? You mean there's more to people-ing than,

1. Let it happen
2. Or, don't let it happen
3. Unless, it can't happen

?

:shocking:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

To tell you the truth I think Fe-Fi has a great influence on this. Almost all stereotypical "social people" tend to be Fe people ... in my experience.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, so I've heard that being so dom, can be similar to having a "separate social identity." It's as in how an sp dom has a "bubble" or a "dome" around them. So doms seem to be somewhat separate from their social self.

What I'm wondering is, do you ever get tired of having put up this social identity? I know that it's still you, but isn't it a lot of work to have to keep this up every time you want to talk to someone? I find if i try to practice this, I can only do it for about an hour and then i'm completely exhausted. Is it curiosity that keeps you into the whole social dynamic thing? Do you view it like a fun activity or something?

Don't know if any of you guys have any input : [MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23915]Hawthorne[/MENTION], [MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] [MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION] [MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION]

But anyone can answer

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ok, so I've heard that being so dom, can be similar to having a "separate social identity." It's as in how an sp dom has a "bubble" or a "dome" around them. So doms seem to be somewhat separate from their social self.

What I'm wondering is, do you ever get tired of having put up this social identity? I know that it's still you, but isn't it a lot of work to have to keep this up every time you want to talk to someone? I find if i try to practice this, I can only do it for about an hour and then i'm completely exhausted. Is it curiosity that keeps you into the whole social dynamic thing? Do you view it like a fun activity or something?

Don't know if any of you guys have any input : [MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23915]Hawthorne[/MENTION], [MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] [MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION] [MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION]

But anyone can answer

It can be tiring but I also cannot imagine not having it at all and will always default to it

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

But anyone can answer

Hmm, that's a good way to put it actually, having this other persona. It does feel like that in a way too, because when I'm about to go out and socialize, particularly at some big event or social gathering, I do put on this persona for sure, and it does actually feel like I'm getting into costume and like that event is some show. It's partially why I could see ESFP for myself since I hear that is sort of the feel for them, where they are the stars of their own show, but I think it's just the So dom thing. Again, recognizing that social "play", it's hard not to feel like you're playing in this drama when it's so evident. Do I get exhausted from it? I can and do. It's tricky though, because I do genuinely get a mental stimulation from probing people and connecting with people, BUT, if none of that goes on and conversations are kept shallow, then there is only so much I can put on this showmanship. I want to say though, that even after a night of socializing, and feeling spent, I can go to bed and think "that was fun" with a smile. It exhausts me, but not in the same way that work does.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to say though, that even after a night of socializing, and feeling spent, I can go to bed and think "that was fun" with a smile. It exhausts me, but not in the same way that work does.

Very interesting. If you were to flip or substitute the words "work" and "socialize" for each other in this sentence, then i would fully relate hahaha :p