• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instinct Stackings Ranges or Subtypes

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Has anyone looked into the "ranges" of instinctual variants? Do you think these descriptions are accurate?
If you have considered them before, what do you think is your stacking's "range" and why?

I've seen this blogpost before but haven't paid attention to it then. Right now I have two so/sx roommates and I notice some clear differences in how they use instincts. The first guy is more intellectual and likes discussing social and cultural aspects of movies, books, video games and character roles. For an So/Sx he seems rather in his head, not very social in literal interpretation of the word. He doesn't have many friends and connects with others only when they have same cultural interests as himself. The second roommate is more motivated to go out and connect with other people, he likes parties, concerts, talking about his relationships, and is very open and frank about his feelings for a dude. He works himself up quickly and has an almost darker emotional Sx/Sp side to him. He is mre extraverted and flexible in connecting with other people than the first roomie.

It recently occurred to me that they are expressing different ends of the stacking: the first roommate is expressing the social primary instinct, the second roommate is involved with the secondary feeling instinct.

If these "ranges" exist they may also explain some inaccuracies in my variant typings. When I met the second roommate I thought him to be Sx/So or Sx/Sp due to how much SX he was expressing. Getting to know him better over the months it was clear that he has social concerns for himself, but he keeps them on the back burner and plunges himself into using his second feeling instinct. I have typed my project manager as Sp/Sx because he often seemed to be in his own world, almost social-last. Later I realized that he is Sp/So "strongside" (strong sp) which is mentioned in this blogpost that it can be "confused for Sp/Sx due to stronger expressed focus on personal items, food, and domestic concerns." These ranges have clarified some of the confusion I've had trying to apply the instincts.

Has anyone else looked into them?

The three ranges for sx/sp:

"Seducer" Sx/Sp (strong sx, weak sp) - Sx in full command produces an active recruiter of potential mates, but being sx/sp this remains in the yin mode of seducing. Charismatic and overtly sexualized. Arguably the most purely Sx of all stacks and ranges. Draws from the So/Sx shadow to liven up Sx into an erotic playfulness and to keep Sx far ahead of their relatively nominal Sp. There is an emotional yearning to their mating ritual; an inherently unstable range that can lead to a pattern of serial heartbreaks. Often confused for Sx/So.

"Mystifier" Sx/Sp (midrange, balanced sp and sx) - The range where the mystique of the sx/sp stack is at its strongest. Unconsciously attracts with intense eye contact and other Sx 'feelers', but holds back enough to give them a kind of untouchable or hard to get close to quality. Depending on their true intentions, this subtype can either frustrate their Sx or reward their functional sp cooling system. Like midrangers of all stacks, there's a seemingly casual approach to meeting their variant needs as the secondary instinct is kept both in play and at bay, while others may wonder what they really want.

"Wanderer" Sx/Sp (strong sp) - The most classically 'blocked' of the Sx's, often exchanging intimacy in favor of the more immediate pleasures of the body. Paradoxically the most wandering and restless of the Sx/Sp's. Pulls from Sp/So to ensure the Sx flood is contained by the Sp levee, which can provide a sense of stability at the expense of seeming put off by others. Sex can mean a hollow satisfying of the instinct, while more vulnerable feelings are suspended. Quietly charged but muted. Can seem self pres first.

The three ranges for sp/sx:

"Ascetic" Sp/Sx (strong sp, weak sx) - Mimics sp/so building of career and security, with an eye on advancement in the name of self sufficiency, but has little or no concern for social recognition as in the case of so/sp. Generally serious but enjoys being amused by others. Quote: "Looking out for number one." Pulls from so/sp to mute sx.
Roles: the island, the one-man enterprise.

"Binger" Sp/Sx (midrange, balanced sp and sx) - Can 'hang out' around like-minded persons to imbibe in favorite goodies, though social interaction itself is not a priority. They do however remain slyly conscious of interpersonal attraction, even if characteristically hesitant to make a first move. Whether alone or not, retains an air of privacy and is reluctant to 'come out' of themselves. Quote: "All things in moderation, including moderation."
Roles: the soloist, the mercenary.

"Decadent" Sp/Sx (strong sx) - Sp at its most saturated with Sx. Self-attending ways are offset by a wilder outgoing streak. Frequently reaches outside of themselves, but then pulls back. Noticeable 'Sx-like' traits, often enough to pass for an Sx-first. Quote: "What is my life, without the things I love?" Pulls from Sx/So to enhance the Sx.
Role: the sensualist, the hedonist.

The three ranges for sp/so:

"Strongside" Sp/So (strong sp, weak so) - Concerned with building and maintaining an orderly home, personal stability, and with the protection and nurturing of these life support systems. Consequently, many sp/so strongsiders are concentrated in small towns and suburban areas where like-minded people support and respect each other's space and privacy. Tapping into sx/sp gives them a taciturn edge, appearing to be social-second in name only. This stacking and this range is arguably the purest expression of self-preservation. Their somewhat gruff demeanor can make them quite amusing despite themselves. Confused for Sp/Sx due to stronger expressed focus on personal items, food, and domestic concerns.
Roles: the pillar, the accountant, the farmer.

"Builder" Sp/So (midrange, balanced sp and so) - The most businesslike range of Sp/So stacking, and hence of all stacks and ranges. Trades a degree of self sufficiency to be involved with larger organizations, bringing along their natural propensity for development and management of resources. For example, a strongsider may attain financial security for themselves or loved ones, but a midrange builder may enrich an entire team, company, or city on the way. Frequently found among entrepreneurs, architects, engineers, bankers, city planners, corporate ceo's, and coaches, as well as proprietors and managers of small businesses. Can be difficult for them to relate outside of their primary focus, being more 'locked in' to their stack than the other ranges. As such, they are inclined to keep themselves busy with projects which seem useful to them.
Roles: the planner, the developer, the executive.

"Weakside" Sp/So (strong so) - Draws from So/Sx to produce what is overall a lighter, friendlier, and more humor employing style within the self-pres, though they are funny often with some conscious effort and without much irony, unlike strongsiders who are relatively less aware of how they're perceived. Can seem more sociable than many So-firsts, and better embodying of a common touch. A notable degree of social consciousness tempers their more private security seeking instinct, so not surprisingly weaksiders can seem So-first, often with a certain generous or self-sacrificial quality.
Roles: the self deprecator, the sidekick, the philanthropist

The three ranges for so/sp:

"Warmside" So/Sp (strong so) - This stacking pulls from Sx/So to enhance outer warmth, revving up the So to where they can pass off as more stereotypically so/sx than many actual so/sx's. Not surprisingly, many supposed So/Sx's and Sx/So's are in fact So/Sp's of this warmside range. Being Sx last, they tend to relate less through nonverbal expression and more through talking and joking around; but what they lack in subtlety they may make up for in overt conscientiousness, whereas so/sx's tend to be subtle and tactful.
Roles: the populist, the humorist, the fundraiser, the entertainer, the socialite.

"Cordial" So/Sp (midrange, balanced so and sp) - This is the classic or 'true' So/Sp, not likely to be mistaken for either So/Sx nor Sp/So. The most wide reaching and moderate of the ranges; friendly, but not ingratiating, anchored by a larger sense of community but not at the expense of delicate alliances. More verbal than the formal range, but less sociable than the warmside So/Sp. Has a strong sense of fairness and equality, though with an academic or careerist bent may come off as elitist.
Roles: the journalist, the globalist, the egalitarian.

"Formal" So/Sp (strong sp) - Pulls from Sp/Sx for a more self contained style. So, while still primary, is muted. Can seem critical and more impersonal than the other ranges. A usual focus on topics, issues, and responsibilities affecting specific levels of society. Usually well connected, but in informal settings may let others do most of the talking. May seem Sp-first at first glance.
Roles: the pundit, the judge, the commentator.

The three ranges for so/sx:

"Lightside" So/Sx (strong soc, weak sx) - So is an unquestioned dictator here, just as in warmside So/Sp, and on the other end is the darkside: So as the chairman, and Sx as the vice chairman who sleeps with the chairman. And the midrange, that lovely muddy area in between where soc is the boss but sx at least has its own corner office.

Lightsiders vs darksiders is almost like a phobic/counterphobic split in attitude. The Lightside is engaging, ingratiating even, and is the closest to what has become the stereotype for So/Sx. Unmistakably friendly, amusing, eager to attend to others in a personal, customized way. Also hesitant or unwilling to upset the delicate chemistry or harmony of individual or group dynamics, since So cohesion is at a premium.

"Midrange" So/Sx's have a less pre-committed way of dealing with people, and therefore appear to express the mercurial aspects of the so/sx stacking more so than the other ranges. I used to call it the "grey" range since it made me think of dusky unreadability, or manipulation through inscrutability. "Midrange" So/Sx's seem especially averse to being predictable, preferring to hold the license to adapt whatever attitude the situation requires. Until those conditions become clear, they default to a kind of seeming indifference or nonchalance (a stark contrast to the sociably upfront quality of their cordial So/Sp cousins). This is a pliant, laid-back so/sx.

"Darksider" So/Sx's (strong sx), on the other hand, seem eager to prove their So isn't in full control, so they typically test the boundaries of traditional So values. Maybe knee-jerk reactions against sheepish herd behavior, group mentalities, and warmside strategies for making connections. They aren't any less healthy by definition, but can seem that way due to their darker, more confrontational manner. They use highly customized interactive tactics like all so/sx's, but in a more uncompromising "keeping it real" way, owing to the active tension between "good" So and "bad" Sx.

The three ranges for sx/so:

"Fireside" Sx/So (strong sx) - Pulls from Sp/Sx shadow to intensify Sx. Exhibitionism, wild abandon, most 'on fire' of all stackings and ranges.

"Flirter" Sx/So (moderate sx and so) - Highly sociable and extroverted per type. Flirtatious interaction style. More coy than the firesiders, but more risque than the coolsiders.

"Coolside" Sx/So (strong so) - 'Cooled' by So with some intellectual reserve. Pulls from the So/Sp's secondary political activist streak. Tends to channel Sx into social causes. Gives a fire-and-ice feelings in discussions.

Socionics - the16types.info - The Three Ranges of Instinctual Stackings

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This would be me.

"Builder" Sp/So (midrange, balanced sp and so) - The most businesslike range of Sp/So stacking, and hence of all stacks and ranges. Trades a degree of self sufficiency to be involved with larger organizations, bringing along their natural propensity for development and management of resources. For example, a strongsider may attain financial security for themselves or loved ones, but a midrange builder may enrich an entire team, company, or city on the way. Frequently found among entrepreneurs, architects, engineers, bankers, city planners, corporate ceo's, and coaches, as well as proprietors and managers of small businesses. Can be difficult for them to relate outside of their primary focus, being more 'locked in' to their stack than the other ranges. As such, they are inclined to keep themselves busy with projects which seem useful to them.

INTP1W2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1W2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So if your highest instinctual variant range is SP but both your SX and SO are tied for 2nd place, which are you?

No joke here...I'm confused.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Seducer" Sx/Sp (strong sx, weak sp) - Sx in full command produces an active recruiter of potential mates, but being sx/sp this remains in the yin mode of seducing. Charismatic and overtly sexualized. Arguably the most purely Sx of all stacks and ranges. Draws from the So/Sx shadow to liven up Sx into an erotic playfulness and to keep Sx far ahead of their relatively nominal Sp. There is an emotional yearning to their mating ritual; an inherently unstable range that can lead to a pattern of serial heartbreaks. Often confused for Sx/So.

"Mystifier" Sx/Sp (midrange, balanced sp and sx) - The range where the mystique of the sx/sp stack is at its strongest. Unconsciously attracts with intense eye contact and other Sx 'feelers', but holds back enough to give them a kind of untouchable or hard to get close to quality. Depending on their true intentions, this subtype can either frustrate their Sx or reward their functional sp cooling system. Like midrangers of all stacks, there's a seemingly casual approach to meeting their variant needs as the secondary instinct is kept both in play and at bay, while others may wonder what they really want.

Not sure which of these I am, but can identify with aspects of each.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
This is me and is why everyone and their mom (in internet land) think I'm Sx-first. (I'm bothered by how grammatically incorrect that sentence is but too lazy to refine it)

"Decadent" Sp/Sx (strong sx) - Sp at its most saturated with Sx. Self-attending ways are offset by a wilder outgoing streak. Frequently reaches outside of themselves, but then pulls back. Noticeable 'Sx-like' traits, often enough to pass for an Sx-first. Quote: "What is my life, without the things I love?" Pulls from Sx/So to enhance the Sx.
Role: the sensualist, the hedonist.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Midrange" So/Sx's have a less pre-committed way of dealing with people, and therefore appear to express the mercurial aspects of the so/sx stacking more so than the other ranges. I used to call it the "grey" range since it made me think of dusky unreadability, or manipulation through inscrutability. "Midrange" So/Sx's seem especially averse to being predictable, preferring to hold the license to adapt whatever attitude the situation requires. Until those conditions become clear, they default to a kind of seeming indifference or nonchalance (a stark contrast to the sociably upfront quality of their cordial So/Sp cousins). This is a pliant, laid-back so/sx.

Sounds about right.

saskiazaaza

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is relate to me tbh

"Wanderer" Sx/Sp (strong sp) - The most classically 'blocked' of the Sx's, often exchanging intimacy in favor of the more immediate pleasures of the body. Paradoxically the most wandering and restless of the Sx/Sp's. Pulls from Sp/So to ensure the Sx flood is contained by the Sp levee, which can provide a sense of stability at the expense of seeming put off by others. Sex can mean a hollow satisfying of the instinct, while more vulnerable feelings are suspended. Quietly charged but muted. Can seem self pres first.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The three ranges for sx/so:

"Fireside" Sx/So (strong sx) - Pulls from Sp/Sx shadow to intensify Sx. Exhibitionism, wild abandon, most 'on fire' of all stackings and ranges.

"Flirter" Sx/So (moderate sx and so) - Highly sociable and extroverted per type. Flirtatious interaction style. More coy than the firesiders, but more risque than the coolsiders.

"Coolside" Sx/So (strong so) - 'Cooled' by So with some intellectual reserve. Pulls from the So/Sp's secondary political activist streak. Tends to channel Sx into social causes. Gives a fire-and-ice feelings in discussions.

I do wonder if people can shift between these subtypes (but also...who wrote this and what is it based on?)
my main issue is lack of example to which to compare to (video would be best, I want to see what it really looks like even apart from writing)
I actually saw someone type Jordan Peterson coolside sx/so which is interesting to me given that I actually didn't see him at all as sx/so and even argued for that viewpoint at time...*sheepish*...but I guess I could also see coolside sx/so

so examples like that help haha because I am not sure what exactly they mean by fireside sx/so, what is looks like, etc.
and question on what they mean by "pulls from xx/xx" that is interesting.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This would be me.

Wrong, this is me. (Social 5 still looks pretty Sp-ish)

"Formal" So/Sp (strong sp) - Pulls from Sp/Sx for a more self contained style. So, while still primary, is muted. Can seem critical and more impersonal than the other ranges. A usual focus on topics, issues, and responsibilities affecting specific levels of society. Usually well connected, but in informal settings may let others do most of the talking. May seem Sp-first at first glance.
Roles: the pundit, the judge, the commentator.

Although the differences are subtle.

Tomb1

So, yeah, stack ranges is fake enneagram. Another good name for stack ranges is "misinformation equals mistyping."

copy paste:

Stackemup Typology (enneagram-side) presents the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack. typewatch is atleast presenting a breakdown for every type, wing and stack. It's breakdown is invalid, however. A lot of groupings don't make sense and typings are just flat wrong (it's like, learn the difference between enneagram and socionics)....you would need to invent over 20,000 new classifications in order to make that breakdown coherent (trifix alone couldn't cut it). And it can't be correlated with socionics. There's all impossible combinations. A for effort, F for accuracy. Mine is much better.

Furthermore, My 2500+ breakdown for every type, wing and stack does not need/require/justify additional "stack range" classifications....and I've got the only valid visual typing model of stackings.

Worse, those stack range descriptions underscore a profound misunderstanding as to the nature of so/sp, sp/so, sx/so, sx/sp, so/sx, and sp/sx...that doesn't help. they got all so/sp-terroristic mistyped as sx/so. Core axiom...the soc-variant intensifies each type’s core gestalt and the sx-variant softens each type’s core gestalt. The social variant’s intensification is rooted in the soc’s drive to immortalize themselves (or an aspect of themselves) into the social ether by affecting the culture/world in a large way. This intensification also includes a vigilanteism in the context of not letting anything stand in the way of this.

Sx-instinct softens the soc’s intensification.

so/sp is the most on "fire" of all the stackings. Sp-second hardens and optimizes the soc- first’s agenda towards immortalization. so/sp-terroristic
so/sx is second runner up but the fire is more easily put out/simmered due to counterbalance from the libertine side.
sx/so is softer and more diffusive than so/sp and so/sx….the notion sx/so is the most on fire of the stackings is conceptually/structurally/logically flawed (thus invalid).
Stack ranges doesn't get that, so before you do ranges, you have to demonstrate a core understanding of the stackings.

Note, no supplementary visual typing model of just stackings was included with the materials, precisely because stack ranges missed the boat on the core descriptions for each stacking. It's like ya know sort of a prerequisite that you get the stackings right before you jump into ranges.

I can run a 2500+ exemplars breakdown without my supplementary visual model for stackings losing its validity. It holds up, none of these other people can do that.

citronnade

[MENTION=13911]Tomb1[/MENTION]

Could you elabroate on what you were saying? Where did you copy paste it from?

Also, it seems strange to me that soc is the most intense- isn't sx typically considered like that?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Couldn't get the original link to work, so I went here: Typewatch Enneagram: Typewatch Instinct Ranges

This is definitely me:

sp/so weakside (strong soc) - draws from so/sx to produce what is overall a lighter, friendlier, and more humor employing style within self pres (though funny through conscious effort and without much irony, unlike strongsiders who are relatively less aware of how they're perceived). can seem more sociable than many so/sp's, and better embodying of a common touch. a notable degree of social consciousness tempers their more private security seeking instinct, so not surprisingly weaksiders can seem soc first, often with a certain generous or self sacrificial quality. the self deprecator, the sidekick, the philanthropist.

Explains why I mistyped as so/sx for so long.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone looked into the "ranges" of instinctual variants? Do you think these descriptions are accurate?
If you have considered them before, what do you think is your stacking's "range" and why?

Has anyone else looked into them?

The three ranges for sx/sp:

The idea of "ranges" makes sense to me. Obviously, not all people of the same variants will utilize their variants the same way, other factors such as core type, tritype, other typology, etc. come into account.

I've mistyped as different variants because of poor sx/sp descriptions and the fact that there were so many sx/sps to whom I could not relate in their more seductive behaviors and openness to losing themselves.

I'm probably a "wanderer" and I relate so much to that description. I'm certain that I'm not sp-first because I care more about gratifying myself, intensity, and desire than simply protecting myself, but I still seem sp-first because I am guarded as hell.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea of "ranges" makes sense to me. Obviously, not all people of the same variants will utilize their variants the same way, other factors such as core type, tritype, other typology, etc. come into account.

I've mistyped as different variants because of poor sx/sp descriptions and the fact that there were so many sx/sps to whom I could not relate in their more seductive behaviors and openness to losing themselves.

I'm probably a "wanderer" and I relate so much to that description. I'm certain that I'm not sp-first because I care more about gratifying myself, intensity, and desire than simply protecting myself, but I still seem sp-first because I am guarded as hell.

There are a ton of people who think they are sx/sp, who are not. You, me, and FemMecha are very good examples of what sx/sp looks like imo.