• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] So/sx or sx/so?

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your avatars, your signature, music you like, temper ... etc. As I said I don't know you well but you strike me more as a Sx-dom.

Got ya. ;)Thanks for your input. I have to agree with you on that one.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] , thanks for your help. Below I bolded the parts I connect with the most. You seem very knowledgeable and I would appreciate your input.

Self/Sexual

This subtype also cares very much about their surroundings and their possessions. They feel as if these things help to express who they are. There is more of a passionate sense about them as compared to the self/soc. They have more of a sensual relationship with their environment. These Fours are much more tortured by their difficulty with respect to maintaining close relationships. The self-preservational instinct tends to be in conflict with the sexual instinct, causing this subtype to habitually analyze their relationships to the point where they find it difficult to be present to them. When unhealthy, these Fours can become very disdainful of the social environment. They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships. When Fours of this subtype are healthy, they find that they can form relationships without feeling as though they are sacrificing authenticity. They no longer feel that they have to automatically define themselves as “different from others,” as outside the group. They are able to see the ways in which their emotionality might cloud their better judgment and to use that insight to establish equilibrium.

Social/Self-pres

This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four’s shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with “fitting in” is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four’s sense of being “different from” or “other than.” The Four’s need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct’s drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.

Social/Sexual

This is overall the “lightest” type Four when it comes to social interaction. They are likely to utilize charm and humor. This type is more scattered and can be down right disorganized. They can drift through life always feeling like an outsider, yet they usually have friends. They can alternate from being the life of the party to withdrawing. Intimates will know of their insecurities and dark moody side while acquaintances will see a softer, friendlier side. This subtype’s energy is geared towards people, but they never feel as though they really fit in. They are often quite creative, talented people who have many interests, but they frequently lack the energy to actually accomplish what they would like. They can drift and withdraw very easily. When healthy and with the right support from friends (and perhaps a little push) they tap into their instinctual energy. When they do this, they begin to see how much they can accomplish. A positive connection to others helps them stay focused.

Sexual/Self-pres

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.

That last part is huge. I desire so much experience and excitement in my life or activities that I'm often dissappointed.

Sexual/Social

This subtype is able to connect with others and with life itself, but always with an undertone of volatility and a tendency to dramatize. They are the most involved and connected of the subtypes of Four. They can go from relationship to relationship, seemingly tortured by each one. They are the most driven of the subtypes of Four to express themselves publicly and type Four celebrities are commonly found with this stacking. This subtype has a real difficulty remaining grounded, partly due to the undeveloped self-pres instinct. Although they can appear almost Eight-like at times with their lust for life and desire for passionate experience, they lack the focus of the Eight and the instinctual energy that would keep them grounded. Sometimes alcohol or substance abuse can be a problem. These Fours become more healthy when they learn to control their impulsivenss and focus their energies.

Here's a description of myself I wrote in one of the threads that goes a little deeper: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...escribe-yourself-post2614840.html#post2614840 . Right now I'm leaning towards Sx-dom...

Thank you also to everyone else who has commented!! :hug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... Or something else entirely? The so/sx description resonates with me a lot but I've been browsing other threads in this section and now I'm not so sure. I've also noticed most 4w5s don't tend to be so-dominant. So I'm curious.

Is there a more definitive way to find out? Certain preferences? Any questions I can ask myself that would help?

https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/four-stacks/

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well it seems you're probably either so/sx or sx/sp. I think we can rule out the others. Based on your earlier descriptions of yourself in the thread though, I lean towards so/sx, but you seem to think you're on the volatile side, so I'm not sure. But then you related to almost nothing of sx/so, so that makes me really question sx dom for you. Re what you related to strongly in sx/sp, I will say that I too get really restless too when life becomes too routine and 'dull', and I love new things. I think some of that could be tied to 'P' (and for me, Se), so yeah, I'll say so/sx.

If you think you're sx dom though, I'd strongly look at sx/sp, since you didn't identify at all w/ the sx/so description.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Cool link, I think good points are raised for each instinct, I also like the de-emphasis on group stuff for so-dom, and de-emphasis on the purely material for sp, and it's educated me more on the instincts. I also think it further supports my being sx last (and elements of stereotypical sx I think I fit can easily instead be linked to my mbti type; also as notes point out, we all can experience elements of our third instinct)

D'Ascoyne

Cool link, I think good points are raised for each instinct, I also like the de-emphasis on group stuff for so-dom, and de-emphasis on the purely material for sp, and it's educated me more on the instincts. I also think it further supports my being sx last (and elements of stereotypical sx I think I fit can easily instead be linked to my mbti type; also as notes point out, we all can experience elements of our third instinct)

The more I read about the instincts the more confused about them I became. Most of the definitions and usage of the instincts are stuck on the superficial: sexual with sex and sex appeal, social with sociability and networking, and self-preservation with strict materialist leanings. But there is an instinctual lean towards intent behind each instinct and the workshop notes resource actually addresses that. Not just useful but fascinating!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The more I read about the instincts the more confused about them I became. Most of the definitions and usage of the instincts are stuck on the superficial: sexual with sex and sex appeal, social with sociability and networking, and self-preservation with strict materialist leanings. But there is an instinctual lean towards intent behind each instinct and the workshop notes resource actually addresses that. Not just useful but fascinating!

I totally agree, and from an animal/ social animal perspective, I think it's really great that it pulls that in. It sort of..ties it together in a more naturalistic/holistic perspective imo.

Edit: also when I first joined, I would get aggravated by the people who over-insisted on sex appeal /sexual aspect for sx dom, it's like..you guys really think sx-last aren't interested or don't equally enjoy and like intensity in that realm? lolz. I don't see most of that super stereotyping much anymore though, many sx doms on here have stressed how that's not really what it's about.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Sx/Sos are intense and scary. So/Sxs are not. Things are not that easy with you cus you are a e4. That's a type I rarely relate to. I can understand why they are that way but I can't relate to them.

If the question is between those two variations I am going with So/Sx.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Just gonna leave this here. Hope it helps. :)

soc/sx
Motivation: to create lasting connections with those they are interested in - the "best friend."
This type has very strong one to one social skills, but is usually uncomfortable in group settings. They enjoy cultivating multiple relationships, and can be intensely involved when in the presence of someone they are interested in, but have difficulty sustaining these bonds when apart. This may give the impression of being flighty and rootless, willing to adapt and mirror others in order to connect, but lacking a defined approach that would give their relationships a more solid standing. They may have political interests, but are generally more pragmatic and less partisan than the other social variant. They are often attuned to pop culture and the latest trends.
  • Expression: bright smiley, intense expression
  • Energy: outward energy expressed intensely, broadly
  • Behavior: bright, smiley, erratic and scattered
  • Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
  • Blind spot: Likely to neglect their desire to seek intense connections and experiences for the sake of their primary concern of building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the body's need for food or sleep, or of the need to accumulate wealth for reasons of security, or of the need to manage time or resources to establish an orderly lifestyle.

sx/so
Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.
This is the type that exudes the most raw charisma and sexual energy. They may identify so strongly with whatever they're involved with that they often become the symbol of its core essence, and sometimes its lead agent for change. Hardly content with the status quo, this sub-variant seeks to alter the fundamental structure of something while at once embodying it's purest or most extreme form. Possibly attracted to radical views on politics, philosophy, spirituality or creativity that reflect their penchant for testing boundaries. They enjoy pushing other's buttons, especially those resistant to their modes of expression. It's not uncommon for them to have a pet social, political or spiritual cause which they're able to support with heartfelt conviction. May exploit and seek to redefine sexuality to reflect their own colorful and uncertain understanding of it. While prone to exhibitionism, they are strongly attracted to grounding influences which can anchor them and provide stability. Failure to satisfy an especially intense desire for connection may cause this sub-variant to spite others at the risk of jeopardizing the need for an equal, stabilizing force. Can feel pulled between wanting a life of maximum intensity and reassuring episodes of peaceful convention.
  • Expression: intense, outer-focused
  • Energy: intense energy expressed outwards, assertively
  • Behavior: intense, assertive, sultry and aggressive
  • Mindset: "If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
  • Blind spot: Likely to neglect their desire to build their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others for the sake of their primary concern of seeking intense connections and experiences, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the body's need for food or sleep, or of the need to accumulate wealth for reasons of security, or of the need to manage time or resources to establish an orderly lifestyle.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So/sx definitely sounds more like me... :yes: Minus the pop culture and trends... I have no interest in that.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I bet my type on the fact that you're sx/so

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So/sx definitely sounds more like me... :yes: Minus the pop culture and trends... I have no interest in that.
I don't give a damn about it either, but I doubt that 4s in general would really care about pop culture. Social 4s usually feel better when they can relate to a community of subculture or counterculture. Social 4s are also one of the greatest social critiques. There is a huge difference between a social 2 and a social 4, 4s even social are always more individualistic, than any other type.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I bet my type on the fact that you're sx/so

Actually I agree with Inis.

Why? :)

I don't give a damn about it either, but I doubt that 4s in general would really care about pop culture. Social 4s usually feel better when they can relate to a community of subculture or counterculture. Social 4s are also one of the greatest social critiques. There is a huge difference between a social 2 and a social 4, 4s even social are always more individualistic, than any other type.

Yeah, all of that is relatable, especially individuality and counterculture. At first I was doubting the social critique aspect but I do often find myself critiquing social norms, societal trends, etc.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah, all of that is relatable, especially individuality and counterculture. At first I was doubting the social critique aspect but I do often find myself critiquing social norms, societal trends, etc.

Look at your tumblr. It clearly looks like you're not happy with many of society's things. Some that I had a hard time just easily accepting. You have Marilyn Manson as your avatar. Your signature. Your IG. I don't believe you're there to try to find common anything with anybody. But you're not rude either and it seems you're fine with that. ;)

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

When I was deciding between being so/sx and sx/so my reasons why I decided I am so/sx are : low assertivity, low energy levels, no need for external drama, low need for emotional intimacy, dispassionate and go with the flow nature... You seem kinda a bit of an opposite of this to me...at least to a point. But then I only know you online, so I can't really see behind what is happening here on the forum.