• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Sx and "research" / delving into topics

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is brought up frequently. Is it really an Sx-based trait? I understand the concept, that Sx craves "depth", so it explores the depth of anything that stimulates oneself, even if that's some topic online or in a book. But I don't know, the connection of these two ideas seems kind of silly. :unsure:

lue

I don't know about the connection, but I am sx first, and that is something that I do.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree, it does seem silly...I think any instinctual stacking can delve into a topic. Perhaps it differs in the manner they do the "delving."

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do this and I think I am Sx last...

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
mm, i do it. until i feel there's nothing more the topic can offer me and i change to the next one. not sure if it's connected with instinctual variant though.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I do that. The only think I think makes it sx-first-ish is that I fixate on it and nothing else for several days and have to acquire every last little bit of information humanly possible. I annoy everyone else by being temporarily fixated on this one thing. I can't really remember a time in my life when I haven't had one of these little obsessions, and to be honest, it's kind of embarrassing.

I'm not sx first and I do this too. I get obsessed and have to know every little thing I can find on the subject and can't rest until I do. And when it's over, life becomes dull and colorless and nothing feels happy anymore until I find something new to fixate on.

The only thing I don't do is share my obsessions with other people. They feel too secret and too sacred to sully with casual contact. Also, I'm vulnerable and prone to getting hurt over rejection or misunderstanding of my interests, so they're not for public consumption, nope.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I thought that's what everybody did. :shrug:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No it's not connected to sx first. Obsessing & fixating in itself is not about the sx instinct. All instincts involve obsessing & fixating - they are distorted through the ego fixation & there is a stacking precisely because one is blown out of proportion & one is somewhat ignored (which causes problems).

IMO, if you want to link this to an instinct, then it would be most neatly be connected to the sp instinct. SP-last people seem more inclined to understand things via interaction with others or experience, whereas sp types are more inclined to "equip" themselves with knowledge., especially before venturing into interaction/experience. Most sp descriptions note the sp first types to preoccupied with personal projects & interests & creating environments & asserting autonomy which allow for this to go somewhat undisturbed. SP last types have trouble with autonomously pursuing interests & projects, and perhaps they seek out more collaboration, input, and external motivation.

Whenever sp is out of whack, there's either too much or too little reliance on others (or a pinging between extremes), depending on whether it's the fixation, the blindspot &/or what the core type is. sp-dom 6s rely too much on creating secure connections with others, whereas sp 5s rely too much on maintaining distance from others so as not to be overwhelmed with their "demands". sp last 6s don't worry enough about secure/stable connections, which can sabotage their more people-oriented sx & so drives. sp last 5s are not motivated to hoard & channel energy for sp interests, which can frustrate the setting of boundaries in the sx & so areas (more people-oriented & perhaps more energy "demanding), compounding the feeling of being overwhelmed by the demands of reality.

However, this is way too specific to really link to an instinctual subtype. As you see, there are too many possible ways an instinct can even play out, so that many behaviors & tendencies can be explained with many different stackings & core types.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No it's not connected to sx first. Obsessing & fixating in itself is not about the sx instinct. All instincts involve obsessing & fixating - they are distorted through the ego fixation & there is a stacking precisely because one is blown out of proportion & one is somewhat ignored (which causes problems).

IMO, if you want to link this to an instinct, then it would be most neatly be connected to the sp instinct. SP-last people seem more inclined to understand things via interaction with others or experience, whereas sp types are more inclined to "equip" themselves with knowledge., especially before venturing into interaction/experience. Most sp descriptions note the sp first types to preoccupied with personal projects & interests & creating environments & asserting autonomy which allow for this to go somewhat undisturbed. SP last types have trouble with autonomously pursuing interests & projects, and perhaps they seek out more collaboration, input, and external motivation.

Whenever sp is out of whack, there's either too much or too little reliance on others (or a pinging between extremes), depending on whether it's the fixation, the blindspot &/or what the core type is. sp-dom 6s rely too much on creating secure connections with others, whereas sp 5s rely too much on maintaining distance from others so as not to be overwhelmed with their "demands". sp last 6s don't worry enough about secure/stable connections, which can sabotage their more people-oriented sx & so drives. sp last 5s are not motivated to hoard & channel energy for sp interests, which can frustrate the setting of boundaries in the sx & so areas (more people-oriented & perhaps more energy "demanding), compounding the feeling of being overwhelmed by the demands of reality.

However, this is way too specific to really link to an instinctual subtype. As you see, there are too many possible ways an instinct can even play out, so that many behaviors & tendencies can be explained with many different stackings & core types.

Sp is safety, So is people.

á´…eparted

passages
DEEP. Thanks for that profound insight into enneagram.

Not to be stereotypical considering the recent discussions in this regard, but the snark really is not needed nor warrented.

Outside of that I do agree with your analysis on the discussion at hand completely. I honestly feel like people here focus too heavily on stacking a lot of the time.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is brought up frequently. Is it really an Sx-based trait? I understand the concept, that Sx craves "depth", so it explores the depth of anything that stimulates oneself, even if that's some topic online or in a book. But I don't know, the connection of these two ideas seems kind of silly. :unsure:

I guess anyone can get in depth into something for their own interest, need not be sx
perhaps sx is more of this need to "find something to make yourself feel whole" and not on a conscious, verbal level per se
so the "depth they crave" can take on this life or death thing at the very extreme or unhealthy end
or at the very least it would really hard for them to let it go