• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Why are sx-doms so common in typology communities?

Octavarium

Is there some reason why sx-doms would be more drawn to the Enneagram and/or internet forums than average, or sx-lasts would be less so? It seems that, not only are Sx-doms particularly common in the online typology community, but the sp-doms tend to be sp/sx, and the so-doms tend to be so/sx, so sx-lasts tend to be quite rare on forums like this. I would've thought typology forums would be more appealing to so-doms, for the sense of community, opportunity to observe group dynamics, and because typology itself is a way of finding out where we belong in the human race. For Sps, it's an activity that can be done alone, autonomously, and the introspection offers an opportunity to focus on yourself. I suppose the spiritual side of the Enneagram would be particularly appealing to sx-doms, but I'm not sure how strong the correlation is between sx and spirituality. Also, it's entirely possible to take in interest in the Enneagram because of its psychological insights, without getting involved in the spiritual side, and that reason doesn't strike me as more powerful than the reasons I listed for the other variants, so I don't think that entirely explains it. I suppose mistyping could be part of it; the fact that sx is sometimes called the "intimate" or "one to one" instinct is misleading, but again, sx-first and sx-second types are so prevalent that I doubt the majority are mistyped. Any thoughts?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sx doms like to go deep into things. They can be obsessive. This does not exclude typology.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Sx doms like to go deep into things. They can be obsessive. This does not exclude typology.

This.

And also because they're so neurotically obsessed about finding the perfect relationship, that they're trying to learn as much about themselves, as well as their most compatible partner, via typology.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Just like 4's, and just like INFJ's. A lot of people are mistyped as them. If someone claims to be INFJ 4w5 sx-dom on an internet forum, I call bullshit until very much proven otherwise.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Just like 4's, and just like INFJ's. A lot of people are mistyped as them. If someone claims to be INFJ 4w5 sx-dom on an internet forum, I call bullshit until very much proven otherwise.

This.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also wonder if sp/sx'ers don't self-mistype as sx-dom. I know I did, I feel like my sp-dom centers around keeping the sx in check, feeling like it's the defining part of me.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I also wonder if sp/sx'ers don't self-mistype as sx-dom. I know I did, I feel like my sp-dom centers around keeping the sx in check, feeling like it's the defining part of me.

Can you explain this more? How does your SP keep SX in checK?

I think a lot of people don't realize SX-dom means tremendous insecurity in the SX realm.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think this is more true about INFJ and sx-dom than it is for 4w5-- as introspective and addicted to research (especially about identity) 4w5 is, I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of 4w5 individuals in existence know about the Enneagram and their own typing (vs the much lower percentage of most other types).

Noll, your statement makes me quite curious about your thoughts about my typing (well, and really every other sx-first 4w5 INFJ)-- I'm still undecided on my MBTI though and will probably remain so eternally.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you explain this more? How does your SP keep SX in checK?

I think a lot of people don't realize SX-dom means tremendous insecurity in the SX realm.

I've pretty much solidly typed myself as 4 sp/sx, mostly based on behavior and some very specific e4 descriptions, we can be a bit baffling when typing by the general description, especially when extraversion is involved. And, rl friends who are actually familiar with enneagram and MBTI concur.

As a 4 sp-dom, I'm trying to secure a vision. On the outside I seem taciturn and methodical(for an ENFP). But that's not my experience at all, I live in this world of various forces that beckon me to engage with them, like sirens. They call, and a very strong part of me wants to respond. It's that part that I identify with, the part that wants, not the part the denies.

What do you mean about insecurity?

Noon

On the outside I seem taciturn and methodical(for an ENFP). But that's not my experience at all, I live in this world of various forces that beckon me to engage with them, like sirens. They call, and a very strong part of me wants to respond. It's that part that I identify with, the part that wants, not the part the denies.
One of the best descriptions of sp/sx I have ever read.

A

Anew Leaf

This.

And also because they're so neurotically obsessed about finding the perfect relationship, that they're trying to learn as much about themselves, as well as their most compatible partner, via typology.

:whistling:

I read a thread on here long ago that spoke of how the dominant instinct is the one that is unhealthy and the aux is the one that is healthier. I think that could play into people mistyping themselves. For instance, I typed so close to both SX and SP that I considered SP-dom for awhile. It was only after some research and thinking about that I realized how obviously SX dom I am and that my SP side is simply more mature.

---

On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who mistype based around an idea they have of who they are versus the reality. In specific regard to the SX function, having it called "sexual" adds auto connotations that don't necessarily need to be there. Although, to be fair, I only encounter that kind of... smolder... in other SX-doms.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*mistyped as sx/so*
icon_local_aimkissyface.gif

Well, a few here might say I am sx/so but you know.

A

Anew Leaf

*mistyped as sx/so*
icon_local_aimkissyface.gif

Well, a few here might say I am sx/so but you know.

I have wondered that myself about you. But I think your social butterflyness possibly supercedes your glue phase. :)

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think some people are mistyped, sure. I am particularly skeptical of those who talk about how "into" their sx-firstness they are, and how awesome they are by comparison to the rest of us humble socials and sp's. But I also think there's a response bias here, just like there are for withdrawn types and INxx's.

I think there's also a tendency for the sorts who type as social-last to find some semblance of a social life on the internet. So, lots of sp/sx and sx/sp. Even if those individuals eventually discover soc is higher in their ranking, I'm sure a good majority identify with the social blindspot (myself included, though I'm not sure I am soc-last).

Soc blind spot—It’s hard to concern self with another’s agenda. Don’t want to deal with “their stuff.” Dismissive. Cynicism around idealism—connecting socially will cost me something. Interactions are draining. Fear of being emotionally crippled. Can’t connect with people. You’re “broken.” A self-knowledge of being ungracious. It’s hard to take in the gifts and generosity of others. One doesn’t let oneself try to interact or find out. Projected fear—if I ignore others, they will ignore me. There’s an expectation of humiliation. A desire not to impose self on people in fear of not being wanted, or being klutzy.

The reason I'm here is because I'm bored, I enjoy talking about myself, and I've become obsessively interested in the enneagram. I am eager to push beyond my boundaries and evolve myself, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same for the majority of sx-firsts.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's certainly possible that I'm an Sp/Sx and not the other way around but every description I've read about Sx-doms seem to fit me. I need that connection with people, most especially with my partner, and if I don't have it I feel terribly lonely and lost.

That burning need for a connection is the recurring theme in my life...which makes think I'm an Sx-Dom. I could be wrong of there but that's where I'm at.

lue

I think there's also a tendency for the sorts who type as social-last to find some semblance of a social life on the internet. So, lots of sp/sx and sx/sp.

Agreed. Also, I don't think I've met a lot of sx first people in the real world, so maybe online is where we try to find some understanding, or some kind of connection?

B

brainheart

I got into this ooh I'm a sp/sx thing but I doubt a sp/sx would get as tormented as I do by getting older and thereby less sexually attractive to others. It is depressing the hell out of me, how people now call me 'ma'am' and... I'm starting to feel invisible because I no longer turn heads like I used to. Sexual energy is how I've gotten what I want and if I can't do it that way, what do I do?

[MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] got the OP right. We get crazy obsessive about stuff, even if it's totally stupid and wrecking our lives.

Agreed. Also, I don't think I've met a lot of sx first people in the real world, so maybe online is where we try to find some understanding, or some kind of connection?

Totally agree. It's how I managed to meet a fellow INFP 4w5 sx/sp who has become a very good friend and that never would have happened otherwise

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got into this ooh I'm a sp/sx thing but I doubt a sp/sx would get as tormented as I do by getting older and thereby less sexually attractive to others. It is depressing the hell out of me, how people now call me 'ma'am' and...

Ah, I can relate, though I'm not an sx-dom. Just an sfp e4, ha.

Re. sx-doms on the forum, hmm, not sure I have seen an out-of-the-ordinary amount? Maybe it's just me though. I DO think the sx-doms stand out more, and seek that out either consciously or it's just a product of who they are. But I think I've noticed enough so-dom and sp-dom folks on here that it seems pretty even imo. [Though, there's always been a kinda noticeable stigma/more negative stereotype towards sx-last, I've noticed, which I believe historically has resulted in some people maybe mistyping... though, I'm glad to see that it seems that's shifted over the past year or so, there's less of the stigma / misinformation floating about]

thistlechaser

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I found these 2 interesting articles about sx-dom and sx-dom type 4's.

Compare this to the so-dom 4.

I'm gonna stick to 4's because this is what I know. In the sx and sp, the goal seems to be more inwardly-focused on finding or expressing something that's buried within them. Either expressing their individuality through suffering (sp), or finding the ideal love (sx), those two are looking to reach out for something to bring into themselves. The so-dom 4, however, is looking to hide their shame and project their flaws outward onto the group rather than identify with them and confront their shame.

From the description of sp-dom 4's, it's almost as if the sp 4's like to forge the final output of their expression in a chamber of molten misery. They horde and collect unique experiences to remind themselves constantly test how special and different they are, how firmly together the threads of their experience hold them because they have suffered to be true to themselves. And anything can at any time pull those threads apart.

Sx-dom 4's from their description seem to be on a quest for ideal love. It is through comparing themselves to an ideal lover that they find the traits they most want in themselves, never mind what traits that person actually embodies. Sx-doms are covetous and envious, always chasing that one thing that they can have that will complete them and make them whole and acceptable inside.

So-dom 4's seem pretty different from the other two subtypes and I think this might be because of the direction their focus takes--they want to project their shame outward, defining and rejecting social norms. They feel ostracized, and rather than looking to an ideal love to complete them (like the 2ishness of the sx-dom), they take on a 1ish perfectionism that they can judge the world against so that they don't need to confront their pain.

I'm a sp/so. I spend a good amount of time putting myself in terrible situations, analyzing how awful everyone is and complaining about it, prescribing some vague ethical solution, and feeling better that I have spared the world having to suffer from these things by suffering through them myself, then reporting back. What was the point of my suffering if no one learns anything from it? There's no way I'm completely pointless and have no meaning. I just need to keep trying to reach people so that I can gift the world with a piece of my hard-earned wisdom. Oh, that thing I said last week? That was about a different situation, completely different context. I was very out of touch with reality until I experienced this experience right here.