• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Why are sx-doms so common in typology communities?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
which instinct do you think most people would be drawn to?

Final-Instinct-Cards-Front.SP_.F.jpg

Final-Instinct-Cards-Front.SO_.F.jpg

Final-Instinct-Cards-Front.SX_.F.jpg
Based on the pictures and elements? I have no idea.

Starry

Based on the pictures and elements? I have no idea.

whoops sorry cascade. I have to remember that things that are obvious to me are rarely obvious to others haha. I mean...a pig...a chicken and a snake? These are the mascots here? We've got two farm animals that we primarily encounter on our table when we are eating them... and a snake...an animal with centuries of "love/hate" mystic from fables to the bible...strong enough to challenge god...etc. etc. as well as being a phallic symbol...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
whoops sorry cascade. I have to remember that things that are obvious to me are rarely obvious to others haha. I mean...a pig...a chicken and a snake? These are the mascots here? We've got two farm animals that we primary encounter on our table when we are eating them... and a snake...an animal with centuries of "love/hate" mystic from fables to the bible...strong enough to challenge god...etc. etc. as well as being a phallic symbol...

Well right, I mean I did pick up on that, but I was more thinking....well, second-guessing and then contemplating about the fact that I can't stand many of the 'hip' trends in the current culture,or any time period really, I suppose, so was internally laughing at the fact that maybe 85% of ppl *would* really like the pig, or something...I mean my personal taste is NO indication of anything hahaha

Starry

Well right, I mean I did pick up on that, but I was more thinking....well, second-guessing and then contemplating about the fact that I can't stand many of the 'hip' trends in the current culture,or any time period really, I suppose, so was internally laughing at the fact that maybe 85% of ppl *would* really like the pig, or something...I mean my personal taste is NO indication of anything hahaha

^^Totally. Still knowing you...I know that if you were in charge of selecting the animals to represent the instincts you would have an awareness of how weirdly unbalanced that looks and choose 3 animals on the same level. Like...I think bear would be perfect for self-preservation (if animals are somehow a necessity here wtf?)

So the way I understand the instincts is these are 3 instincts that ensured our survival that we still use in varying amounts today. They are equal in strength...survivability. But people's biases lead them to create the pig, chicken and snake thing.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^Totally. Still knowing you...I know that if you were in charge of selecting the animals to represent the instincts you would have an awareness of how weirdly unbalanced that looks and choose 3 animals on the same level. Like...I think bear would be perfect for self-preservation (if animals are somehow a necessity here wtf?)

So the way I understand the instincts is these are 3 instincts that insured our survival that we still use in varying amounts today. They are equal in strength...survivability. But people's biases lead them to create the pig, chicken and snake thing.

Yah, got it, and yes I think I could come up with a better representative for them, or for all. Bear, or possibly cat (Snow Leopard?), would be good for sp (many cat species in the wild might live virtually solitary lives outside of mating). Otter or dolphin maybe for so-. Or elephant.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So the way I understand the instincts is these are 3 instincts that ensured our survival that we still use in varying amounts today. They are equal in strength...survivability. But people's biases lead them to create the pig, chicken and snake thing.

I have everything starry, why am I still so neurotic? Medicine doesn’t help.

Starry

Yah, got it, and yes I think I could come up with a better representative for them, or for all. Bear, or possibly cat (Snow Leopard?), would be good for sp (many cat species in the wild might live virtually solitary lives outside of mating). Otter or dolphin maybe for so-. Or elephant.

Snow leopard sounds cool although I don't really know what they do. I'm just thinking of some animal that has earned human respect because we see them as both intelligent and powerful...that stores food away for winter. And totally dolphins...or dude...wolves man for social....when they hunt they are like a machine...each wolf knows exactly what they are doing...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Snow leopard sounds cool although I don't really know what they do. I'm just thinking of some animal that has earned human respect because we see them as both intelligent and powerful...that stores food away for winter. And totally dolphins...or dude...wolves man for social....when they hunt they are like a machine...each wolf knows exactly what they are doing...

Well snow leopards definitely don't store food; I think I was thinking more in terms of 'all on my own'. Though bears maybe are similar, they just slowly starve as they hibernate. (Very true re wolves). But yah..regardless, 100% agree better symbols could be selected and the stereotypes don't necessarily get to the heart of the actual drive.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people mistyping as INFJs come to that point because of animal archetypes on pop typology sites.

Understanding the Myers Briggs Type Indicator: Myers Briggs Personality Types as Animals

who the fuck wants to identify as a deer, beaver, hippo, etc?

The funniest are those charts that match every character in a movie to a type, they're bound to cause many ISFPs to mistype themselves. No one identifies with Bail Organa.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If that's the case, I've lost all interest in humanity.

hey it could be worse. I seem to recall seeing one article on one of those sites that assigned animated gifs to each type. The comment sections on those sites are always especially entertaining too.

OMG Laik it sezz I'm a mastermind that's laik sooo me OMG

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people mistyping as INFJs come to that point because of animal archetypes on pop typology sites.

Understanding the Myers Briggs Type Indicator: Myers Briggs Personality Types as Animals

who the fuck wants to identify as a deer, beaver, hippo, etc?

Wow, someone said it. Most people look at the actual presentation and go 'lmao no I'm not a beaver' than actually looking at the type, let alone theory.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, someone said it. Most people look at the actual presentation and go 'lmao no I'm not a beaver' than actually looking at the type, let alone theory.

Those sort of clickbaity articles are pretty obviously aimed at uninformed or uninterested people who aren't going to spend a ton of time reading it before they go back to their facebook feeds to scroll to the next click bait and fake news links in their feeds. I hate to sound elitist like that, but I think it's that sort of cutesy trivialization of Jungian typology that leads to or exacerbates a lot the misconceptions that MBTI is little more than a parlour game with no basis in science. I wouldn't be surprised if that Adam Ruins Everything video was made based more on impressions of those sorts of articles than it was on any extensive research into Jungian typology.

Anyway, I was just sorta riffing on a conversation other members were having about animal archetypes and instinctual variants, but it's a general trend in pop typology that has been irking me. I apologize for digressing with my rant.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Those sort of clickbaity articles are pretty obviously aimed at uninformed or uninterested people who aren't going to spend a ton of time reading it before they go back to their facebook feeds to scroll to the next click bait and fake news links in their feeds. I hate to sound elitist like that, but I think it's that sort of cutesy trivialization of Jungian typology that leads to or exacerbates a lot the misconceptions that MBTI is little more than a parlour game with no basis in science.

Eh, doesn't sound elitist, just sounds like exactly what those articles are.
I myself thought MBTI and enneagram were FB-tier quizzes the first time I saw them, rather than actual theories, something like "Which colour explains your personality the most? Red! You are passionate, driven, ambitious, and temperamental!"

Some make it here, some continue scrolling through more equally misleading clickbait.
While idiocy cannot be cured, the effects of these kinds of articles / 'online quizzes' are infuriating and aren't helping.

EDIT to your post addition: Eh, it still is related to why there are so many mistypes, and such biases as there are now.
Misinformation via terrible medium of delivery, reducing types to a painted stereotype / behavioural traits than the underlying reasons.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those sort of clickbaity articles are pretty obviously aimed at uninformed or uninterested people who aren't going to spend a ton of time reading it before they go back to their facebook feeds to scroll to the next click bait and fake news links in their feeds. I hate to sound elitist like that, but I think it's that sort of cutesy trivialization of Jungian typology that leads to or exacerbates a lot the misconceptions that MBTI is little more than a parlour game with no basis in science. I wouldn't be surprised if that Adam Ruins Everything video was made based more on impressions of those sorts of articles than it was on any extensive research into Jungian typology.

Anyway, I was just sorta riffing on a conversation other members were having about animal archetypes and instinctual variants, but it's a general trend in pop typology that has been irking me. I apologize for digressing with my rant.

I don't disagree and am just as elitist when it comes to online stupidity.

Though, I will say otoh that I often go back and forth re perhaps mbti IS/should be quite simple, perhaps it IS the stereotypes after all. Trying to turn it into a robust cognitive overlay, trying to explain everything, is equally silly imo. Put another way, I think we can all relate to meeting people initially, and feeling they in general fit such and such type closest - we see patterns and with only 16, it'll be pretty generic. It's only once we know others or dig deeply into ourselves better that we start feeling nothing really applies, or more than one....

Starry

I have everything starry, why am I still so neurotic? Medicine doesn’t help.

dude...I'm about to go all *viper* on you. You've already stated in your last two posts in this thread that I shouldn't attempt to help anyone other than myself...and that...you can't be helped. Now you request my help by asking a question I've already answered a thousand times. A question that if I were to provide an answer yet again...you would...like clockwork...come back with some opposite response.

There's got to be other members you can one-way attention seek from under the guise of wanting to become a semi-normal person right?