• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Sx-doms and Limerence

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That line in particular resonates. From interacting with people I think are sp doms here on the forum, they all seem actually content with maintaining that control over environment and work at opening it up only because in some way they realize it is good for them in the long run to do so..

The reality of my life is that I'm really really good at being alone and doing things on my own. In fact, I even get flack from one ENTJ female IRL because "I never come to events or stop to say hi" (and I think she's more an SO type), and it's like I want to do it, but I don't feel like the relationships there are SX quality, they're just SO social engagements and networking sessions and in that context they exhaust me and don't serve the greater purpose so I just hang out at home a lot. But I am not HAPPY being that way. I feel a lot of loneliness even if I function perfectly fine on my own. If I had a choice, I'd rather be with someone I love and have an amazing connection to.

Gosh, pretty much every word of this. If I'm going to hang out with people, I usually want to be really intimate with them. Otherwise who gives a shit? I'd rather stay home alone.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gosh, pretty much every word of this. If I'm going to hang out with people, I usually want to be really intimate with them. Otherwise who gives a shit? I'd rather stay home alone.

Yup.

The only thing is, sometimes you have to give yourself time to warm up to other people -- the connection is not instant. So by hanging out, you could possibly find some people you really want to be intimate with.

Or that's what they tell me.

You practically have to set my house on fire to get me out of it, though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yup.

The only thing is, sometimes you have to give yourself time to warm up to other people -- the connection is not instant. So by hanging out, you could possibly find some people you really want to be intimate with.

Or that's what they tell me.

You practically have to set my house on fire to get me out of it, though.

Yeah, this is true. Especially if there's a shared activity involved. Having an activity so it's not just unstructured hanging out is much more amenable to me- that way, even if I don't enjoy the company I can still enjoy the activity, and the activity gives me some parameters for interaction which I need because otherwise I just try to go too deep too fast and end up injuring their friendship cervix.

I've done it a few times- I joined a roller derby team because I was really really ridiculously lonely and depressed (I have a pretty awesome spouse but I don't think it's healthy to get all your emotional needs met by your spouse- I didn't want him to start feeling smothered) and that gave me else to talk about with the new people, and something to focus on for myself that sort of slowed down my natural tendency to TALK ABOUT ALL THE THINGS RIGHT AWAY. I made a few nice good deep friends that way.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The reality of my life is that I'm really really good at being alone and doing things on my own. In fact, I even get flack from one ENTJ female IRL because "I never come to events or stop to say hi" (and I think she's more an SO type), and it's like I want to do it, but I don't feel like the relationships there are SX quality, they're just SO social engagements and networking sessions and in that context they exhaust me and don't serve the greater purpose so I just hang out at home a lot. But I am not HAPPY being that way. I feel a lot of loneliness even if I function perfectly fine on my own. If I had a choice, I'd rather be with someone I love and have an amazing connection to.

So there is this weird dance between really wanting to be intimate with people and just finding it easier to keep a predictable pattern in place to minimize energy resources.

These things times a million. I just had a conversation this weekend along these lines. I wanted to go out, there were people I could call to do so, but nary a one of them constituted someone that made me feel that pull. My extroversion has caused me to go against that feeling sometimes, and about halfway through the outing I end up feeling more alone (and not to mention annoyed) than if I'd just stayed home.

It's hard to define what that thing is exactly. There are a very select group of people whom I just merge with and can be with them 24/7, then there are people I just don't. My best guess on how this ties back to being an sp-second is that, on the one hand, there is a sort of fastidiousness with one's resources, especially one's time and energy. I simply don't have much to say to people who I can sense aren't on the level.

On the other, there's something special about shared space that I'm having trouble articulating. It's like you let down the wall, and there's a sense of comfortable openness. I'm not 100% sure what I'm getting at except to say that I associate the self-preservation instinct with walls and barriers. I think what we've been discussing regarding the need for emotional self-restraint is tied up in that--it's the push. When you are with someone where there's connection it's like you're including them on your island, and offering up all those resources you've accumulated to their benefit. Mi casa es su casa, which we make la nuestra.

There's a promiscuity to the sx/so approach that kinda baffles me. I think whereas the sx pit causes us to want to go deeper, wanting to know someone totally (consuming and being consumed), their's pushes them outward. Everything's so big and luminous...I dunno. Suggesting the difference is quantity over quality is more dismissive than I wanna go, but it's an interesting contrast that I'd be interested in getting your take on. I think for all that the Social instinct is a blindspot for us, it's one we know we've got, which is where I think the fear of loss of control stems from. It's a combination of a) the notion that the things we need can be provided through our community not being innate, so we always assume we've gotta go it alone or perish. And b) past experiences of social rejection causing us to view the community as "Other". We don't feel ourselves to be a part of it, creating distrust, leading to a bunker mentality where all interactions take place in the context of potentially hostile territory. I dunno. These are elements of the push-pull without either or any of the ideas being the whole story. I'm wondering now, though, if our mutual love for horror films is 'cause we identify with the monsters...

Don't mean to distract from the limerence topic, though....

I think you've elevated it, actually. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, this is true. Especially if there's a shared activity involved. Having an activity so it's not just unstructured hanging out is much more amenable to me- that way, even if I don't enjoy the company I can still enjoy the activity, and the activity gives me some parameters for interaction which I need because otherwise I just try to go too deep too fast and end up injuring their friendship cervix.

Lol, ouch.

I know I used to plunge in too far, too fast... I've backed way off nowadays. But then I just tend to drift or people possibly think I don't care.

I too find far more success in finding "activities" and getting to know people by being involved while at the same time having something to focus on than just the relationships. I've had a lot of happiness with my gaming groups, although those relationships don't go as deep as I wish despite some efforts of my part.

I've done it a few times- I joined a roller derby team because I was really really ridiculously lonely and depressed (I have a pretty awesome spouse but I don't think it's healthy to get all your emotional needs met by your spouse- I didn't want him to start feeling smothered)

I agree, that is a heavy load for the other spouse to deal with. I have had it happen with friends too, where a particular friend would expect me to meet her needs; going anywhere with her was such a drag because she had trouble taking care of herself at social gatherings and I felt like I always had to be her security blanket.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lol, ouch.

I know I used to plunge in too far, too fast... I've backed way off nowadays. But then I just tend to drift or people possibly think I don't care.

I too find far more success in finding "activities" and getting to know people by being involved while at the same time having something to focus on than just the relationships. I've had a lot of happiness with my gaming groups, although those relationships don't go as deep as I wish despite some efforts of my part.

I agree, that is a heavy load for the other spouse to deal with. I have had it happen with friends too, where a particular friend would expect me to meet her needs; going anywhere with her was such a drag because she had trouble taking care of herself at social gatherings and I felt like I always had to be her security blanket.

Exactly- to all of it. I've maybe overcorrected a little on the too far, too fast thing, to the point that I don't initiate anything, hardly ever, and don't ever ask personal questions until I know the other person is comfortable with me, blah blah blah.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These things times a million. I just had a conversation this weekend along these lines. I wanted to go out, there were people I could call to do so, but nary a one of them constituted someone that made me feel that pull. My extroversion has caused me to go against that feeling sometimes, and about halfway through the outing I end up feeling more alone (and not to mention annoyed) than if I'd just stayed home.

Yes. I've gone to those gatherings in the past, so it's not like I don't know what I'll be getting there -- unless someone completely new just happened to show up, and I just happen to "click" with them, and they happen to actually live nearby...

So I'd drive home feeling a low-key glad that I went and got to see people, but also a kind of pervasive gentle sadness that it wasn't more than what it was... and feeling drained to boot.

The only few people I've ever really gotten close to merging with, I've essentially lost. I don't know if I have it in me to keep that search up. Not being fatalistic, but ... I just don't know if I'll ever find it again.

It's hard to define what that thing is exactly. There are a very select group of people whom I just merge with and can be with them 24/7, then there are people I just don't. My best guess on how this ties back to being an sp-second is that, on the one hand, there is a sort of fastidiousness with one's resources, especially one's time and energy. I simply don't have much to say to people who I can sense aren't on the level.

yes. And I feel bad because more sensory, less-SX'y folks will say, "Oh, you just have to try harder to make a connection." I don't bother to explain anymore, they don't understand about how it works. I can tell very quickly whether it's worth my time. I've barely been on any dates in the last few years; the last guy, I met him twice ("dates" but it was really a hiking path and then a bookstore), and we had a good time talking, but the "click" wasn't there at all. He was actually very articulate in some areas and I liked talking to him -- smart and knowledgeable -- but that was all. Nothing wrong with him, but despite the nice conversation, it just drained me and I couldn't feel a connection. Just not worth trying to justify it anymore, I just need to make a decision and then move on.

On the other, there's something special about shared space that I'm having trouble articulating. It's like you let down the wall, and there's a sense of comfortable openness. I'm not 100% sure what I'm getting at except to say that I associate the self-preservation instinct with walls and barriers. I think what we've been discussing regarding the need for emotional self-restraint is tied up in that--it's the push. When you are with someone where there's connection it's like you're including them on your island, and offering up all those resources you've accumulated to their benefit. Mi casa es su casa, which we make la nuestra.

I know. People who get into that space are part of me and I share everything with them, all I have is theirs. Books, food, computer resources, I drop any structured veneer and am just me. We're part of an identity together, even if I'm still aware of myself there; but you get all of me, not just portions, and it's shared space.

I will admit that if you are not part of my shared space and you start tapping into my carefully planned and measured resources (I know how much food I have, how much drink I have, blah blah blah), inside I will start to get really irritated. It's just that I didn't plan to cache supplies for you! I need some warning.

There's a promiscuity to the sx/so approach that kinda baffles me. I think whereas the sx pit causes us to want to go deeper, wanting to know someone totally (consuming and being consumed), their's pushes them outward. Everything's so big and luminous...I dunno. Suggesting the difference is quantity over quality is more dismissive than I wanna go, but it's an interesting contrast that I'd be interested in getting your take on.

Well, I think I understand SO variants the least, tbh. And am not sure if I've met an sx/so IRL. What I don't understand about SO is not why it wants to relate (I get that as an SX), I don't understand why it STOPS relating at a certain point if you get my drift and can stay broader vs deeper. I don't get that at all -- why would anyone want to just stop there? Lol.

I think for all that the Social instinct is a blindspot for us, it's one we know we've got, which is where I think the fear of loss of control stems from. It's a combination of a) the notion that the things we need can be provided through our community not being innate, so we always assume we've gotta go it alone or perish. And b) past experiences of social rejection causing us to view the community as "Other".

Well in that sense, while I've had tastes of "community," it has never really provided much for me, so no, I don't trust the loose connection there. To me it feels very much like throwing yourself off a cliff, to trust that if I was in trouble the "community" would somehow step in and catch me. I think I've noted before that no matter how friendly I am with people, unless it's a deep resonating relationship, I don't feel like I truly belong or that I'm part of the group. That's been pretty constant throughout my life and I doubt it will change now.

We don't feel ourselves to be a part of it, creating distrust, leading to a bunker mentality where all interactions take place in the context of potentially hostile territory. I dunno.

Well, for me not necessarily hostile (I don't think there are many who are out specifically to hurt or fleece me), but... indifferent. The world is indifferent. It might not mean me harm, but it's not looking out for me either. I can't depend on it. I can only depend either on myself or on specific individuals I have vetted and have connection with.

These are elements of the push-pull without either or any of the ideas being the whole story. I'm wondering now, though, if our mutual love for horror films is 'cause we identify with the monsters...

:hug: I can't find the clip now, but immediately "Super 8" sprang to mind, with Joe being held by the alien and saying, "Bad things happen, but you can still live."

I do identify with outsiders, and the lone explorers who are brave enough to go into dark places, sometimes alone. I'm not as openly dogmatic as Jodie Foster in "Contact" or sound so zealous, but that might as well have been me stepping into the ship, with all the same anxiety, compulsive curiosity, loneliness, humanitarism, and dedication to knowledge.

I think you've elevated it, actually. :)

lol. It feels like I changed the topic a bit, but at least it is a good discussion. :)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Given that you're the one who mocked an innocent person sharing an honest perspective, I find that remark highly ironic.

If you're so disturbed by the incident, report it. I just don't care about the whinings of some hyper sensitive NF that I neither know nor have cause to give two shits about.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My experience is that when it hits me, it hits me really hard and turns me into a complete idiot. The vast majority of my relationships with women have been limirent-unrequited relationships which why the only one that actually did play out (my ex) was one of the reasons that pulled me into the relationship for me.

Actually dating someone I was limerent towards was one of the most powerful and compelling connections and feelings I've ever had. I think everyone should be so lucky as to be able to fall in love with your limerent object :wubbie:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually dating someone I was limerent towards was one of the most powerful and compelling connections and feelings I've ever had. I think everyone should be so lucky as to be able to fall in love with your limerent object :wubbie:

Word, brother. Best thing in the world.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you're so disturbed by the incident, report it. I just don't care about the whinings of some hyper sensitive NF that I neither know nor have cause to give two shits about.

So, because I don't appreciate disrespectful attitudes, that makes me a "hyper-sensitive NF"? Not someone with a sense of dignity, or someone who simply wondered why another individual would reply to a random user in a way that may or may not have been friendly and humorous? Yeah, go on, keep thinking that way--I'll wind up understanding people better than you at this rate.

And, you don't give a shit about me...congrats. Though I'd ask why you bother taking the time to respond if that's the way you feel.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:doh:

"Captain. Lifeform readings detect no limerence here. May we continue with the thread, or do you still plan to order an evacuation?"

G

garbage

So, because I don't appreciate disrespectful attitudes, that makes me a "hyper-sensitive NF"? Not someone with a sense of dignity, or someone who simply wondered why another individual would reply to a random user in a way that may or may not have been friendly and humorous? Yeah, go on, keep thinking that way--I'll wind up understanding people better than you at this rate.

And, you don't give a shit about me...congrats. Though I'd ask why you bother taking the time to respond if that's the way you feel.
mod says

Knock it off, kids. :doh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mod says

Knock it off, kids. :doh:

but they're so cuuuuuuute!!!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe i don't get this limerence thing.

Jaguar

Wikipedia said:
Limerence is an involuntary state of mind which results from a romantic attraction to another person combined with an overwhelming, obsessive need to have one's feelings reciprocated....

Sounds like several stalkers I've had to deal with.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] I completely relate to that.

I can feel very strongly for people without them ever knowing because its not really the point from my perspective and don't feel like it always has anything to do with me. Just some people have endeared them self so strongly to me that i feel like I'd do anything for them if needed and was able to. Like just no questions asked what do you need. Ill have your back.

Or just in my head very concerned with their well being and hope the best for them but they may never even know I care.

And I feel intense sadness when people evaporate from my life that I feel this way about but I always feel that strong connection. It never goes away even if I may never see them again.

And I'm talking about friends and romantic partners.

I don't know if limerence is the right word for me or not but honestly I don't really care either. I'm not super interested in labeling it.

But I do get the strong impression that I care for people differently than many others. Not better or worse... Just different.

And I don't think this is something apparent to most people about me.

This. All of this. Same for me.

I'm probably sx first but I put such a strangle-hold on it. I'm really, really scared of putting it out there for fear of blasting someone with it. I did a lot of wild, impulsive, and stupid stuff when I was younger so I locked it away. I'm having to learn it back bit by bit (thanks Rex) and channel it in ways that I don't feel I have to choose between locking it away or letting it loose in very self-destructive ways.

The wiki article was fascinating. It sounds terrible. Painful. I've never experienced it though. Has anyone ever experienced this, had their feelings returned and then it blossomed into something? I would think that would kill it but maybe I'm perverse like that.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
maybe i don't get this limerence thing.

(thread necromancy)
Best blog on the Internet on this subject - Living with Limerence – Life, love and limerence - written by a rather amusing British bloke.

Quoting [MENTION=5418]Lady_X[/MENTION] because one thing I learned is, there are in fact 2 tribes of humans, "limerent" types and "non-limerent" types. I suppose she is a "non-limerent" type. For those who are prone to limerence, the struggle is real.