• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Frequency of Instinctual Variants

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is purely hypothetical, but...
personally, I think it's probably something like this

Sp/So: 29%
So/Sp: 23%
So/Sx: 20%
Sp/Sx: 13%
Sx/Sp: 9%
Sx/So: 6%

swordsman-of-mana-albums-moi-picture64476-instinctual-variant-prevalence-population.jpg

or, put another way
So dom: 43%
Sp dom: 42%
Sx dom: 15%

swordsman-of-mana-albums-moi-picture64475-dominant-variant-prevalence.jpg

or
Sx last: 52%
Sp last: 26%
So last: 22%

swordsman-of-mana-albums-moi-picture64482-last-instinct-variant.jpg

thoughts?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes I'm very rare and special

Nicki

Retired
Seems accurate IMO, so/sp and sp/so seem to be really common

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Seems accurate, except I feel like I know way more So/Sp's than Sp/So's. But it would seem that Sp/So would be most beneficial in terms of survival, so you're probably right (Sx definitely seems the most useless, if - in my opinion - the most interesting)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Where have you lived and traveled and mi/km radius of findings
How long have you studied stackings, and for how long before or since the enneagram
With whom do you communicate your findings, how and what do corespondents know
Characteristics thereof, i.e clothing, car driven, kids?, businesses they frequent, etc etc.

Thoughts: so-doms are hardwired specifically for collaboration, so of course they'll seem numerous. Hypotheses: sx/sp 5s flock to Portland purely for the dubstep and cheap marijuana, sp/so 5s to Seattle for the fresh air and rain-mandated isolation. sp/so 1s breathe structure, mass transit and cockroaches so LA, Chicago, NYC. We know one Florida county has the most Facebook likes for football's ny giants because it's where all the old banker jews specifically go to die, so what's inhibiting us from drawing up other fun correlations. In my case, butts.

If you're treating this seriously, fellow nf, assuming you've already researched this to the nth, thrown yourself into unknown territory and engaged rather than pull the inconspicuously stake out a corner in sunglasses self-abstinence routine-- plot your data and present it like any dumpy scientist would for our viewing pleasure. I'm almost interested in a plan if anyone else is similarly bored with the bullshit speculation fairytail nowhere threads.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure about the actual percentages, but I agree that sp/so and so/sp are probably more common in the real world. I think SX/SO is probably the rarest variant of them all.

On forums like this, you get an overabundance of people claiming to be SX first or SO last, probably because those types have descriptions that make them seem more unique.

It's kind of analogous to the over-abundance of N's on forums.

I've seen alot of instances where someone claims to be SX first and it's clear they are not that. On the other hand, I almost never see instances where someone claiming to be SP or SO first, is actually SX first.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm so rare and special... I'm a niche product!

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
On the other hand, I almost never see instances where someone claiming to be SP or SO first, is actually SX first.

I did claim sp/sx for the longest time until I had some great insights and I realized I probably thought my sp was more dominant in my thinking than it truly is and it is sx that controls me. It also became obvious interacting with another 5 who is sp/sx and our level of energy and intensity really differs. I'm definitely more externally intense than he is.

But yes, for 5s, the instincts seem to affect less externally as we all look more unison as Naranjo said, even though the sexual variant is still the non-5 out of the 5s. I also wonder how common it is to over-identify with your secondary instinct since this is the one we apparently prefer to indulge in a somewhat "healthy" manner.

B

brainheart

On forums like this, you get an overabundance of people claiming to be SX first or SO last, probably because those types have descriptions that make them seem more unique.

Do people really care about this? As a four I'm supposed to think like this, but I could give a rat's ass what sounds the most unique. I'm just looking for what's the most accurate. I think people tend to mistype mainly due to shitty information. There is so much contradictory/conflicting info about instincts, it's crazy.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do people really care about this? As a four I'm supposed to think like this, but I could give a rat's ass what sounds the most unique. I'm just looking for what's the most accurate. I think people tend to mistype mainly due to shitty information. There is so much contradictory/conflicting info about instincts, it's crazy.

I honestly wish there was a good exhaustive place online for information about the instinctual variants. What I know is what I've gleaned from other people more knowledgeable than I, judging their information as accurate and putting two and two together. As I do with all other forms of information, but the certain lack of information about instincts in particular that is not simple-minded (sx types always desire intimacy! so types to belong to a group! sp types safety and security!).

B

brainheart

I honestly wish there was a good exhaustive place online for information about the instinctual variants. What I know is what I've gleaned from other people more knowledgeable than I, judging their information as accurate and putting two and two together. As I do with all other forms of information, but the certain lack of information about instincts in particular that is not simple-minded (sx types always desire intimacy! so types to belong to a group! sp types safety and security!).

Instinct theory still seems 'young' to me, like it really hasn't been figured out/ fully fleshed out yet. There are a lot of different theories/ ways of explaining it. And with that comes a lot of contradiction, far more so than I see in the enneagram.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where have you lived and traveled and mi/km radius of findings
How long have you studied stackings, and for how long before or since the enneagram
With whom do you communicate your findings, how and what do corespondents know
Characteristics thereof, i.e clothing, car driven, kids?, businesses they frequent, etc etc.
Thoughts: so-doms are hardwired specifically for collaboration, so of course they'll seem numerous. Hypotheses: sx/sp 5s flock to Portland purely for the dubstep and cheap marijuana, sp/so 5s to Seattle for the fresh air and rain-mandated isolation. sp/so 1s breathe structure, mass transit and cockroaches so LA, Chicago, NYC. We know one Florida county has the most Facebook likes for football's ny giants because it's where all the old banker jews specifically go to die, so what's inhibiting us from drawing up other fun correlations. In my case, butts.
If you're treating this seriously, fellow nf, assuming you've already researched this to the nth, thrown yourself into unknown territory and engaged rather than pull the inconspicuously stake out a corner in sunglasses self-abstinence routine-- plot your data and present it like any dumpy scientist would for our viewing pleasure. I'm almost interested in a plan if anyone else is similarly bored with the bullshit speculation fairytail nowhere threads.
this is just speculation to be honest. anyone with hard data to present is welcome to do so

I'm not sure about the actual percentages, but I agree that sp/so and so/sp are probably more common in the real world. I think SX/SO is probably the rarest variant of them all.
It's kind of analogous to the over-abundance of N's on forums.
I've seen alot of instances where someone claims to be SX first and it's clear they are not that. On the other hand, I almost never see instances where someone claiming to be SP or SO first, is actually SX first.
hi :hi:
I'm a bit puzzled by this myself. I'm not sure why more people don't want to be Sp dom. they seem like the most competent, independent and pragmatic of the instincts

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For one tagged sx/so, I may go back to my sources for a quick double check with these estimates/consensuses in mind because I know my old habits a little better than I know my stacking. I'll open up and admit that it happens with great consistency that I settle on types first from the descriptions and afterwards find out that it's probably super low frequency in the population. Probabilistically, the cause is more likely a subconscious nose for the unique ones than my always being right. My goal is to break this habit with knowledge...unless, of course, said knowledge confirms that I actually am weird. :D

Groaning about it because I doubt I'm the only one.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sounds good to me :thumbup:

So/Sp: 23%
So/Sx: 20%

I found this interesting, though. I've always thought so/sx as the stereotypical "female" variant. Haven't really seen much outside America, though. Cultural differences and shit.