• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instinctual variants and Facebook

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
sp: "I don't like opening up like this, but I might be able to use it for self-preservation in some ways. :unsure:"

so: "PERFECT!!! :happy2:"

sx: "It's a bit superficial, but I can sometimes use it to connect with others on a more meaningful level."

Agree or disagree?

Oversimplified?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i don't know, it has changed for me over time (consider if you want that i'm sx dom and probably sp aux)

1. first i didn't care

2. then i started getting excited about the possibility of connecting with distant friends

3. then i went through a super excitement phase where i was using facebook for political activism and thought it could really make a difference (this was around the time of the arab revolution)

4. currently i'm annoyed with the privacy issues and i rarely post, like i post once a month. also, i've removed a lot of "friends" because we don't have any contact and i don't like having people "lurk" around my stuff. i've also deleted most of my info and i've never ever had any photos up there

so....

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my roommate made me an account when facebook first came out... I have since closed the account because I prefer my privacy... take that as you will :laugh:

G

garbage

Kinda.

Perfect for providing a lower rung (not a bad thing) on which to collect people that you wouldn't necessarily phone up, but that you could 'poll' if needed. Blasting questions and ideas out to a few hundred people is bound to provide some benefit once in a while.

It's also a way of maintaining connections without having to do any work at all. The fact that you see one another on your feeds means that you remind each other of your existence.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I would go with the sx. I've used it to find some people I had lost, meet them and keep in touch with them. Some of the games were nice, too.

I just keep it around so I can hoard information about people without engaging them actively. :ninja:

/sp

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't do Facebook. :dry:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have an account but often forget to check it. I check it about once or twice a week at most. I don't post much on Facebook. Often what I do post are things like funny pictures or videos I found rather than really personal information about myself. I'm not one of those to spill out my guts. I have a couple of friends on Facebook who reveal too much personal information and that gets annoying. Then there are people who put up mundane things like what they had for lunch or that they have a headache. Who really cares?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your model works for me :shrug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my roommate made me an account when facebook first came out... I have since closed the account because I prefer my privacy... take that as you will :laugh:
I never made one, for the same reason. Plus, it can be a time sink, and (unlike TypoC) has poor organization of content.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sx - I use Facebook so that I can find sexy pics of my females Facebook friends and masturbate.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't post much, mainly read about others' lives..... The couple times I have engaged in conversation with folks (particularly folks I went to highschool with) it's caused self-preservation walls to erect and a subsequent awkward flakiness in continuing the discussion :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sp-dom (pretty sure) checking in here.

I don't care for it and almost never post status updates, or 'like' things, or post quotes/videos, or whatnot... mostly because I think the entire thing is a big waste of time, highlighting trivialities [there are definitely a few exceptions], and I don't want to shift all of my interaction w/ people to the facebook medium (otoh, I have some friends who HAVE mostly shifted to it, which... meh) . I: 1)Play scrabble with a few people, 2)Post photos from my life, and 3)comment on some friends' photos or posts now and then, if they spark my interest or if I feel guilty because I'm not keeping up with their life because they only post on facebook and it's the only way I can check in every now and then.

So it's not really tied to the privacy thing for me, more just... blech.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
...mostly because I think the entire thing is a big waste of time, highlighting trivialities [there are definitely a few exceptions], and I don't want to shift all of my interaction w/ people to the facebook medium (otoh, I have some friends who HAVE mostly shifted to it, which... meh) .

As an sx/sp, other than what I've expressed in the OP, this is mostly my perspective on it. There are plenty of friends which are significant to me which I probably wouldn't be able to stay in touch with at all without it. Because of that, I tolerate the trivial/superficial. I often get annoyed at the barrier this presents to deeper connections, and I then move to other more meaning-rich modes of communication. Also, I enjoy the precision and depth of thought written communication allows, but it cannot substitute face-to-face interaction because of the paucity of nonverbal communication.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
sx: "It's a bit superficial, but I can sometimes use it to connect with others on a more meaningful level."

checkMarkSmall.gif

It's also a way of maintaining connections without having to do any work at all. The fact that you see one another on your feeds means that you remind each other of your existence.

checkMarkSmall.gif
checkMarkSmall.gif

I just keep it around so I can hoard information about people without engaging them actively. :ninja:

checkMarkSmall.gif
checkMarkSmall.gif
checkMarkSmall.gif

It just pisses me off when people don't put enough information for my personal taste on their profiles. I want to know EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. SHARE MORE.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I lol'd at the Social description in the OP because it's so damn true of me. :laugh:

Facebook is awesome! I like that I can keep up with my friends/maintain my real-life social network in a way that requires less of an energy drain than real life contact would. I like that I can make easier contact with friends that I might not see as often, stay up-to-date on their gossip/news, and keep them up-to-date on mine. My only annoyance with Facebook is that I haven't figured out how to post things only to "close friends"/etc, meaning 1) I have to tone down all posts/status updates/etc keeping in mind that I'm Facebook friends with both of my parents, and 2) I can't post anything that's highly personal when I'm friends with so many vague acquaintances.

Edit: So many Facebook lurkers on this thread. :thelook: Creeps me out.

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
so/sp and they couldn't pay me enough to use it. Insidious company.