• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Feeling the need to preserve ones beauty: Is this an Sx/SP and Sp/Sx thing?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've been doing a lot of research lately and I've kind of been wondering: Is feeling the need to preserve ones beauty an SP/SX and SX/SP thing? I've noticed that feeling the need to have an extremely aestheitcally pleasing outer appearance is an SX thing in general. However, I've noticed that doing things such as exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, using anti-aging creams, etc, in order to preserve ones looks when they are older is indeed an Sx/Sp and Sp/Sx thing. I've noticed that these kinds of things aren't as big of a deal to types such as the Sp/So for example. It seems like the Sp/So would do these types of things as well, but they would do it more for the reasons of preserving one's life than one's looks. So is my theory correct, or am I lost in the woods?
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]

you folks may want to check out this thread.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do have an appreciation for things that are beautiful which is associated with SX - so that part is true at least for me. An example would be when I go on vacation, the visual beauty of the environment is quite important in selecting a place to go. I take a lot of photographs of these beautiful places. I have a real appreciation for beautiful cars (old, new, in between). I notice beautiful women too :). As far as myself is concerned, I don't take any unusual steps. I do wear pretty nice clothes that are tailored and/or fit well. I try and stay halfway lean/thin (tends to be a work in progress). I get my hair cut every five weeks. That's about it. I think I look OK but not like I did when I was 25 or 30.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i put very little effort into my appearance. i was more concerned with it when i was younger, high school aged, but now i rarely wear makeup and dress mainly for convenience or comfort. granted, i'm still young and skinny so i don't have to worry about anti-aging stuff or dieting. as far as being sexually desirable goes, i figure that if a guy isn't attracted to me without me being all dolled up it's a lost cause to begin with. might as well let him see me as i am. also i'm more in the business of avoiding male attention than trying to attract it. maybe i'd feel differently if i was single :shrug:

also i should add that my boyfriend is most likely sp/sx and is also pretty negligent about his appearance.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't do much about my appearance either really... I wash my face with Noxema every night and use vitamin e oil sometimes but don't even work out at all lately... Luckily my job keeps me pretty active so I don't worry much about weight or anything.

I'm just really low maintenance about this sort of stuff... I go to work with wet hair and sometimes put some make up on in the car on the way there sometimes I wait until after I've had coffee... Much later in the day... And it usually just a bit of lipstick and mascara.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But like highlander... I am very drawn to beauty and notice it all around me every day.

I also choose places to go based on atmosphere and beauty... I feel calmed when surrounded by well designed space... I feel calm and happy when my outfits look and feel good.

I can't buy people ugly stuff even if I know they love it... I literally just can't do it. I care about the aesthetics of everything I purchase.

Ryadai

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
But like highlander... I am very drawn to beauty and notice it all around me every day.

I also choose places to go based on atmosphere and beauty... I feel calmed when surrounded by well designed space... I feel calm and happy when my outfits look and feel good.

I can't buy people ugly stuff even if I know they love it... I literally just can't do it. I care about the aesthetics of everything I purchase.

I'm pretty much the same, especially when buying things for people.
I don't stress too about how I look but I'm really affected by the environment I'm in. I find it irritating to be in a place I don't think has been decorated nicely or the like.

Hmm. I had to think about this for a while, and I realized that I don't want to be one of those people who lets themselves go after a certain point. While I do believe that personal beauty isn't entirely predicated on youthfulness, a large part of sexual appeal definitely is, and I want to hold on to that as long as I can. At the very least, I can see myself being careful about covering up grey hairs and keeping moderately fit. I don't want to be a decrepit old lady.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm.. feeling attractive and trying to look my best is important to me; so yes, I do value looking as good as possible and trying to find flattering clothing. And tbh, I feel like I've had to face the 'aging' thing a bit sooner than many, due to my hair loss; therefore it took me several yrs to be able to come to grips with that and be ok with shaving my head, as I didn't want to be a woman in my late 30's/early 40's with thin hair and little to no hair on the sides of my head, that I couldn't style well, as I knew I'd look much older (and would feel increasingly unattractive) that way than if I just got rid of it entirely. So yeah... the topic is rather poignant/relevant for me, and I do value trying to stay attractive. Can't lie, it's important to me. But I also don't have any desire to avoid the natural process... so don't ever want to go the route of plastic surgery, botox, etc etc... I want to embrace the aging as well. :)

As for ambience, absolutely, ambience is super important to me. Having my place set up and decorated in a way I really like - find peaceful/cozy/aesthetically pleasing/etc etc. :) :yes: And I'm all about appreciating landscapes and beautiful places too, soaking that in.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of my friends is very afraid of aging and losing her looks. She is sp/sx by all accounts.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So from the comments made on this thread it seems that this is mostly reminiscent with people that are Sp/Sx as opposed to people that are Sx/Sp. Keep the posts coming people, this thread is getting good. Btw, the reason that I made this thread is because I am very much like this: I have a strong need to preserve my looks, and to just be attrative in general. I plan to start exercising again and getting back into shape once I get this stupid medical problem of mine solved (which should be fairly soon). For the longest I was typed as So/Sx but I'm starting to wonder if I'm Sp/sx because I just fit the description so well. Plus, it's just hard for me to imagine myself as Sp last.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
'Blessed' with really fair, photosensitive skin & crippling acne [the kind that gets physically painful after a certain point] in early adulthood, I developed a regular am/pm skincare routine & have kept to it religiously, even after the acne fully cleared.

I can't say I do things to "preserve beauty," in any way- as someone with some pretty deep-seated body image issues, it doesn't cross my mind to preserve something I don't have, nor does it occur to me to really even want to "feel pretty," -if that makes sense.

Anything I do for my skin, etc, is purely for hygiene/maintenance- more to prevent what I have from becoming any worse/alleviate or prevent feelings of anxiety or shame, depending on the issues, I guess. Also, if you do take care of your skin regularly, you tend to physically feel rather grimy if you suddenly stop, & I find the sensation unpleasant/gross.

The idea of aging hasn't bothered me, aesthetically- my avoidance of the sun & the fact that a lot of the acne treatments I use have anti-aging benefits, I've been told, has kept my complexion looking fairly youthful for someone my age [27]. I find this only relevant to my interests regarding my acting pursuits. I'd like to have as wide a range of ages to play for as long as possible. This is also the reason I color over any grays that may creep in. Someday I'll let it all go white, & let neighborhood children believe I'm a witch..

As far as physical fitness goes, being active and eating healthy foods just feels good, to me. If it keeps me in good outer shape, that's a plus. Admittedly, with body image issues, I can never actually see myself as 'thin' or in good shape- not consistently, at least. Funhouse mirror effect. To keep from relapsing into unhealthy habits like starvation, I've made it a point to try to focus more on my overall physical health, over the years, than allow intrusive & unhealthy thoughts about my body dictate my actions. Mh, it's a process.

So, I don't know precisely where I stand, with regard to feeling a 'need.' I suppose when things are undergoing renovations, it's a bit too messy to determine things like that. /shrug

(and, as it says below my avatar, I'm Sp/Sx.)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

yeah, even though i can be super lazy, i'm still extremely picky when i'm buying clothes, shoes, etc. if i'm wearing something i think is ugly i'm totally uncomfortable with myself.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think preserving beauty is more of a sx focus.

But I suppose sp's would tend to worry more about preserving health, which would incidentally affect beauty.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think preserving beauty is more of a sx focus.

But I suppose sp's would tend to worry more about preserving health, which would incidentally affect beauty.

I want to preserve health as well, but I place a higher emphasis on looks.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm very much drawn (sometimes covet) to beautiful things and places. One of my post-graduation/working fantasies is decorating my living space like I've always wanted to (think lots of window seats, lofts, over-stuff chairs, and floor-to-ceiling bookshelves).

I've always been careless about looks/dressing but I'm pretty vain about my skin and teeth. I'm lucky that I can shave 10+ years off my face...more if I used make-up. When I'm able to, I'll have these awful dark circles underneath my eyes (chronic allergies and abnormally thin skin) removed by laser. Everything else? Look at my signature...age-related physical beauty loss comes to us all. :(

I'd like to be more fit but my ability to exercise like I want is limited by RA.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
I know this is a big issue for me. I'm terrified of getting old and want to preserve my sexiness well into old age

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
I know this is a big issue for me. I'm terrified of getting old and want to preserve my sexiness well into old age

past 24 still considered old in the gay community?

i dont feel as much of a need to be beautiful, think the focus is living life to the fullest.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
past 24 still considered old in the gay community?
yeah. I'm 21 and I feel old already LOL

i dont feel as much of a need to be beautiful, think the focus is living life to the fullest.
I can be happy without being beautiful, but beauty definitely helps

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is absolutely true for me. I think beauty is virtue and truth and harmony, and very little is worth doing if it's not beautiful. I want to live as long as possible and be as healthy as possible. And of course health and beauty are correlated. Ultimately health is more important, but as they tend to go together, this usually isn't a problem. I'm probably sx/sp then.