• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Differences between sp/so and sp/sx

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
What are some differences between these two? I'm pretty sure I'm mainly self-preserving, but I can't tell if I'm social or sexual. Knowing basic differences between these would help me determine which one I am.

Within

Permabanned
Having read a few pages in your famous thread. I'm pretty sure that you're an sp/sx. Take that to heart and be proud, grouping yourself with me.

*Looks away, dramatically.*

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Having read a few pages in your famous thread, I'm pretty sure that you're an sp/sx, take that to heart and be proud, grouping yourself with me.

*Looks away, dramatically.*

True, but my desire for a relationship is only for that one person - to be honest, having a girlfriend in general doesn't really appeal to me.

I'll list some of the reasons for why I think I'm each based on what I know already:

sp/sx
- I am not social in the actual meaning of the word in any way
- I prefer getting to know individuals over joining large social groups
- I dislike social events
- I am not very involved in any form of community (school, town, etc.)
- I don't care about being "normal"

sp/so
- I am not sexual in the actual meaning of the word in any way
- When I'm with my friends, I prefer being with more than one - one on one interactions make me uncomfortable
- I don't care what individual people think of me, but I'm very sensitive about my "public" reputation
- As I said above, I have little desire for a romantic relationship (other than with that one specific person)
- When I envision my ideal future, I see no friends or family in my life, but me being very successful and having high status in the world

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Could have fooled me.

Well, I do believe I said many times in that thread that although I want to go out with her, I'd rather be single than go out with anyone else.

I should stop talking about it before I get banned.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's definitely sx in you. I agree with Within.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
There's definitely sx in you. I agree with Within.

Maybe. But like I said in the post above (referring to the link I posted), I'm really not concerned with any of the things listed in the self-preservation section. So maybe I'm actually not an sp?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe I don't know much about enneagram stacking, but your high degree of neuroticism strongly suggests sp primary.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm only bringing up facts reasonable and valid to the query at hand. It's not my problem that you find them hard push into your calculations.

I was asking for general differences between the types so I could decide for myself, not for your opinion on what I am.

Maybe I don't know much about enneagram stacking, but your high degree of neuroticism strongly suggests sp primary.

I guess, but I also tend to avoid taking care of my basic needs. I was sleep deprived many times last year because I spent so much time on the Shyness thread (sx, for obvious reasons) and doing homework (so, because it would affect my grades and what my teachers think of me) or just thinking about the future (which, as I stated above, would be very so-ish).

Within

Permabanned
I was asking for general differences between the types so I could decide for myself, not for your opinion on what I am.

I was building/displaying one from your previous history, again you miss out on what's obvious.

G

Ginkgo

sp/sx

Sp/so and so/sp tend to be very plain because they reflect common mores in their interests and image.

You are not that.

Burger King

sp/sx
- willingness to get dirty
- social last, therefore lacks a sort of censorship
- uses sexual secondary to support self preservation primary (ie: obtains security through intimates)

sp/so
- clean (most likely due to what [MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION] said)
- there is more censorship here
- uses social secondary to support self preservation primary (ie: obtains security through the group/community)

Edit: Oh yea, here the info where I got that stuff from - http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25711
I guess, but I also tend to avoid taking care of my basic needs. I was sleep deprived many times last year because I spent so much time on the Shyness thread (sx, for obvious reasons) and doing homework (so, because it would affect my grades and what my teachers think of me) or just thinking about the future (which, as I stated above, would be very so-ish).

I don't get it, how is thinking about the future so-ish? Why did you even type sp first if you can't relate to it? You could be so/sx or so/sp. The latter is wicked shame ridden and works the opposite in contrast to other types if you are an e4.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had sp/so in tests some of the time, or even so-first. I think this has to do with strong Fe and societal demands, though. I identify much more with sp/sx descriptions, especially in relation to type 6. But I am also sure I'm not sx-first.

I'd say I identify as sp/sx in part because of the following:

-I can be very passionate and even obsessive about others, especially in a romantic context (slightly stalker-ish tendencies), but they tend not to know as I maintain a cool/laid-back exterior (a bit too much so, apparently).
-@skylights said something a while back about INFJs being "formal but warm" (or words very close to that), which really resonated with me. I think it fits well with a lot of INFJs but it fits me particularly well as an INFJ type 6 sp/sx. I think some people really warm up to me for that very reason, and others don't know what to make of me. I think that sx/sp would be a more obviously conflicted type and more obviously emotionally volatile - I have a friend who I am pretty sure is xNFP type 4 sx/sp, and that really fits her. I am more conflicted than most people would think, but it is not very obvious externally. I do think I give off a sort of...conflicted undercover vibe (also reflected in looking externally calm, but being very anxious, sometimes to the point of neuroticism) which some people pick up on and either accept and want to explore, or they are put off.
-I appear self-sufficient, and in some respects I am, but I worry a good deal about the health of my relationships with others. I rely on friends to an extent they probably don't realise. I am also more concerned than most people would know about romantic relationships and whether others find me attractive (both in terms of personality, and physically).
-One reason I think I'm so-last is because although I take a lot of my self-worth from the health of my relationships with others, it tends to be on an individual/one on one basis. I've met many people who are very concerned with social hierarchy, ie. getting in with "the cool people", achieving status, and so on, and while it can sometimes trouble me, I have more contempt for it than anything else. My reaction is along the lines of "grow up - you're not in high school any more", though I may also worry about being excluded. But I worry far more about losing a relationship (whether friendship, or romantic) with someone i care deeply about, than I worry about fitting in with a group or in some kind of hierarchy.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
sp/sx

Sp/so and so/sp tend to be very plain because they reflect common mores in their interests and image.

You are not that.

I guess so.

sp/sx
- willingness to get dirty
- social last, therefore lacks a sort of censorship
- uses sexual secondary to support self preservation primary (ie: obtains security through intimates)

sp/so
- clean (most likely due to what [MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION] said)
- there is more censorship here
- uses social secondary to support self preservation primary (ie: obtains security through the group/community)

Edit:

I don't get it, how is thinking about the future so-ish? Why did you even type sp first if you can't relate to it? You could be so/sx or so/sp. The latter is wicked shame ridden and works the opposite in contrast to other types if you are an e4.

What are you referring to by "dirty" and "clean"? Literal, physical dirtiness or cleanliness or do you mean it in some other way? Regardless (since it's the same regardless of what you mean), I prefer to be clean, although I hate censorship.

Neither of those third ones (the ways they use the secondary one) seem like me at all.

And no, thinking of the future is not so-ish, I was saying that my ideal future that I mentioned earlier ("When I envision my ideal future, I see no friends or family in my life, but me being very successful and having high status in the world") is very so-ish and not sx-ish at all.

I typed myself as sp first because I typed myself that before I read that.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've had sp/so in tests some of the time, or even so-first. I think this has to do with strong Fe and societal demands, though. I identify much more with sp/sx descriptions, especially in relation to type 6. But I am also sure I'm not sx-first.

I'd say I identify as sp/sx in part because of the following:

-I can be very passionate and even obsessive about others, especially in a romantic context (slightly stalker-ish tendencies), but they tend not to know as I maintain a cool/laid-back exterior (a bit too much so, apparently).
-@skylights said something a while back about INFJs being "formal but warm" (or words very close to that), which really resonated with me. I think it fits well with a lot of INFJs but it fits me particularly well as an INFJ type 6 sp/sx. I think some people really warm up to me for that very reason, and others don't know what to make of me. I think that sx/sp would be a more obviously conflicted type and more obviously emotionally volatile - I have a friend who I am pretty sure is xNFP type 4 sx/sp, and that really fits her. I am more conflicted than most people would think, but it is not very obvious externally. I do think I give off a sort of...conflicted undercover vibe (also reflected in looking externally calm, but being very anxious, sometimes to the point of neuroticism) which some people pick up on and either accept and want to explore, or they are put off.
-I appear self-sufficient, and in some respects I am, but I worry a good deal about the health of my relationships with others. I rely on friends to an extent they probably don't realise. I am also more concerned than most people would know about romantic relationships and whether others find me attractive (both in terms of personality, and physically).
-One reason I think I'm so-last is because although I take a lot of my self-worth from the health of my relationships with others, it tends to be on an individual/one on one basis. I've met many people who are very concerned with social hierarchy, ie. getting in with "the cool people", achieving status, and so on, and while it can sometimes trouble me, I have more contempt for it than anything else. My reaction is along the lines of "grow up - you're not in high school any more", though I may also worry about being excluded. But I worry far more about losing a relationship (whether friendship, or romantic) with someone i care deeply about, than I worry about fitting in with a group or in some kind of hierarchy.

Interesting. I think later I'll list aspects of me that support each one and aspects that go against each one, and then decide.

G

Ginkgo

What does "I guess so" mean? Is that just about you being inconclusive about my perfectly reasonable assessment?

Burger King

What are you referring to by "dirty" and "clean"? Literal, physical dirtiness or cleanliness or do you mean it in some other way? Regardless (since it's the same regardless of what you mean), I prefer to be clean, although I hate censorship.
The words dirty/clean refer to a general/metaphorical impression of the types, not literally of course.

Neither of those third ones (the ways they use the secondary one) seem like me at all.

And no, thinking of the future is not so-ish, I was saying that my ideal future that I mentioned earlier ("When I envision my ideal future, I see no friends or family in my life, but me being very successful and having high status in the world") is very so-ish and not sx-ish at all.

I typed myself as sp first because I typed myself that before I read that.

So you typed yourself sp without any knowledge of what it means to be sp. Okay.

This whole sp = health, sx = intimacy, so = status, thing is bull. I'd rather just look at someone and type them based on vibe and their interaction with people.

Here is something I read - http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27005
A quote from the OP of that thread:
All instincts are tied to sensations in the body, they must be felt there to be present to them.
Self-pres is felt as physical sensations in the body.
Sexual is felt as tingling or energy.
Social is warmth or openness, a sensation of not being a closed circuit.
It's a different take on the instincts. Mistypes everywhere.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're not adequate enough to be an sp/so.