• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instinctual Variants and Music

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thought this would be a good idea, so I decided to Ne vomit some of my thoughts on instinctual variants and music.

I'll start with Sx/Sp (since my tastes in music seem to be extremely Sx/Sp)
Sx/Sp music tends to be concentrated, vivacious and with a strong sense of longing for a particular thing/person. there is a sort of fiery gut/instinctual energy to it (like the Sx/So but it's much more concentrated, directed than Sx/So music, which is more like a wildfire)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sp/Sx
Sp/Sx music is more subdued/subtle than Sx/Sp music. it has a dark, mysterious, sensual quality to it. if Sx dom music is fire, Sp/Sx music is ice, and Sp/Sx tends to have an alluring, cat like quality to it. it wants to draw you in, but doesn't want to extend too far out of the self or draw too much attention to it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sx/So
Sx/So music tends to have a very "sex drugs and rock n' roll" vibe to it. it's similar to So/Sx, but more raw, gritty and with somewhat of a "freak" quality to it. where Sx/Sp music tends to be more dark tender, intimate, the Sx/So music has a lighter, more expansive aspect to it and has a "you can't stop me! let's do it bitches!" quality to it. it also tends towards more overtly sexual themes and a "strut your stuff" aspect to it. lots of rock stars tend to be Sx/So

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So/Sx
So/Sx music is lighter, more conventional and tends to more wordy than So last-esque varieties of music. on the other hand, it can also have more altruistic/service oriented themes or themes dealing with acceptance/social exclusion. often it has a sort of frat boy/sorority girl vibe to it. So/Sx type music is probably the most commonly played music at clubs and parties

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool. I'm Sx, but Sp and So are about equal, and I'm thinking I'm more So than Sp. I like music with intensity, mostly electronic and hip hop. I love being provocative.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool. I'm Sx, but Sp and So are about equal, and I'm thinking I'm more So than Sp. I like music with intensity, mostly electronic and hip hop. I love being provocative.

glad you liked it :)

PS: I'm planning on doing a post for Sp/So and So/Sp as well, but it's proving more difficult

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah hard to really connect with things you aren't sometimes.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah hard to really connect with things you aren't sometimes.

it's mostly that music in general tends to be sexual/intimate in nature (how many Sp/So and So/Sp musicians can you think of? I can only think of two and I'm skeptical of both being typed correctly). it's sort of like how it would be difficult to find an Sp last investor

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly think that a lot of death metal would fall in the sp/sx range.

The popular cultre/mainstream stuff e.g. bieber, katy perry etc is mostly so/sx and sx/so. Some of it might even be so/sp --- especially the heavily commercialized music.

Trance would be imo sx/so.

I would venture to guess that songs about world peace, unity, brotherhood etc would fall under so/sp and sp/so.

sx/sp is very much dependent on the individual himself/herself as the objects of an sx/sp's desires are also very unique to the individual. The turn ons are more specific and less generalized as opposed to with the so leading [where commonality is more easily seen]. But sensuality would lie at its core. However, what that sensuality would again depend on the individual.

That said, my view regarding uniqueness of what turns an sx/sp on may be specific for 4's - and perhaps slightly biased towards my own tastes - which I deem highly unique.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly think that a lot of death metal would fall in the sp/sx range.
nooo, Death Metal is more Sx/So. it is like the opposite of Sp.

The popular cultre/mainstream stuff e.g. bieber, katy perry etc is mostly so/sx and sx/so. Some of it might even be so/sp --- especially the heavily commercialized music.
yes

Trance would be imo sx/so.
more Sx/Sp. Sx/So is higher energy; trance is more calming, ethereal and has a siren-esque sort of "come away with me" vibe that is much more Sx/Sp (and probably some sore of 279 tritype)

I would venture to guess that songs about world peace, unity, brotherhood etc would fall under so/sp and sp/so.
I'd say So dom in general

sx/sp is very much dependent on the individual himself/herself as the objects of an sx/sp's desires are also very unique to the individual. The turn ons are more specific and less generalized as opposed to with the so leading [where commonality is more easily seen]. But sensuality would lie at its core. However, what that sensuality would again depend on the individual.
That said, my view regarding uniqueness of what turns an sx/sp on may be specific for 4's - and perhaps slightly biased towards my own tastes - which I deem highly unique.

agreed

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nooo, Death Metal is more Sx/So. it is like the opposite of Sp.

Hmm .. ok ... Perhaps then we're thinking specific and different songs within Death Metal?

Of course, whole genres are too broad to put into one box as there's variations based on artists within the genre itself. Here's an example of lyrics from one of my favourite death metal songs. I see much more sp/sx [or maybe sx/sp] in this song than so:

Filled with sorrow...
Bleak inner self touched by pride,
devoured by solitude, still wrapped in time.
Flowing pain...

Holding myself back in suspicion...
and lingering in the dust...
the dust of my abandoned remains.
Killed with the dagger of life...!

Such an exquisite pride in my suffering...
alone, all alone with the emotional
streams of my soul...
So real, so pure... yet i'm left aside
entangled in fear... without hope.

Raped by the light of the world...
Scorned, left behind and broken down...

I am truly left alone,
but somehow... just somehow
it feels like my loneliness is a victory
over the self-delusion of joy... and happiness.

My heart beats faster,
the anguish becomes clearer
and my misanthropic view gets stronger.
Living in the shadows...
so proud of being the one,
but desperate...
so desperate for a helping hand.
Do I really want to live this life?

I have a thousand reasons to die,
and many millions of tears to cry... in silence.
The human plague has emtied my life,
and I curse the day I was born... to this world!

Still, no-one else I ever want to be...
and no-one else I intend to be...
'cause no-one else I was meant to be!

I need, I want, I long for my retribution...
I need, I want, I yearn for my retribution...
I want my retribution... I want it now!

Unity; a gathering of open wounds,
of dark... of dark clean spirits...
what a dream... what a dream so distant!
Why should I... why should I be alone
when I love... when I love my brotherhood?
Shall I die... shall I die to be free
when I cry... when I cry in silence...
so please let me die in silence...
oh my god, let me die in silence!

----

On the flip .. here's a death metal song that's very much so/sx

Prejudice, does this word apply to you?
Categories, most likely to be friends
With someone just like you
Are you a human, or do you rely on
Separative adjectives?

Pride
Why do you take credit
For what you were born into?
Do your genes give you an advantage?

Favoritism
Taking care of your own kind
Continuing your own kind

Words
Say what you mean
Mean what you say

Hatred, afraid to accept
People different from you
Afraid to rethink
Your own values

Peace, it won't happen
Until barriers are eradicated

----

more Sx/Sp. Sx/So is higher energy; trance is more calming, ethereal and has a siren-esque sort of "come away with me" vibe that is much more Sx/Sp (and probably some sore of 279 tritype)

Ok .. I was thinking more along the lines of the rave culture and dancing together that trance seems to have come to embody. Many modern trance artists are creating trance from that perspective, hence much of it has an sx/so - so/sx flavour to it ... I can definitely see some songs as sx/sp. This one in particular is very much as sx/sp:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=14235]Phoenix[/MENTION]
we're evaluating completely differently. I'm evaluating based off of how the music makes me feel and the "vibe" it gives off while you're reading into all the hidden meanings of the piece (essentially, you're using Ni and I'm using Fi LOL)

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=14235]Phoenix[/MENTION]
we're evaluating completely differently. I'm evaluating based off of how the music makes me feel and the "vibe" it gives off while you're reading into all the hidden meanings of the piece (essentially, you're using Ni and I'm using Fi LOL)

Heey ..

U have a point there

:shrug:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I'm definitely sp/sx or some flavor of sx given music listings/vibes in this thread..... (and 'so' music vibes/themes as described in this thread are vibes/lyrics I'm not interested in at all)

My Ipod playlists / most-played songs / fave songs would point to this too.

As a related note, if music is by nature an expressive medium, couldn't it follow that everyone accesses sx via music, whether by listening or creating?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
glad you liked it :)

PS: I'm planning on doing a post for Sp/So and So/Sp as well, but it's proving more difficult

it's mostly that music in general tends to be sexual/intimate in nature (how many Sp/So and So/Sp musicians can you think of? I can only think of two and I'm skeptical of both being typed correctly). it's sort of like how it would be difficult to find an Sp last investor

I'm a probable SX last and I love listening to music of all sorts. Maybe its a way for me to get more in touch with my SX side. I do pay more attention to how it sounds than the lyrics.

I'm curious, who were the two SX last musicians you had in mind.

I'd be curious to see what songs you come up with for SP/SO and SO/SP.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a probable SX last and I love listening to music of all sorts. Maybe its a way for me to get more in touch with my SX side. I do pay more attention to how it sounds than the lyrics.
I'm curious, who were the two SX last musicians you had in mind.
I'd be curious to see what songs you come up with for SP/SO and SO/SP.

Katy Perry and Marilyn Manson (6w7 So/Sp and 4w5 So/Sp respectively)
though they both might be So/Sx

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Pop music mostly So-dominant? That would explain why very little of it holds my interest for long...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't mean to be an ass, but seriously, if this would actually be a credible way to type someone, then I'm definitely sp/sx. I've been giving thought to this recently, and for other reasons am starting to believe this might be the case (but don't want to get into that here).

But, to be fair to all of the sp/so's / so/sp's out there, I find it highly unlikely they all like uninspiring, bland pop music (or would all dislike the music listed thus far in this thread). I'd also love to know whether people just tend to stereotype musicians as sx doms/auxs, by virtue of them creating music, when in reality there could be many sp/so musicians out there. Again, not trying to be an ass, this just truly doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sp/So

[youtube=BH3TPvaLe0A]Générique Juste Prix officiel 1998[/youtube]

So/Sp

[youtube=YYJ_KnN3WcI]Hymne anglais/English anthem[/youtube]

Sp/Sx

[youtube=TWwclXfQQdY]CONTROL - IAN CURTIS -[/youtube]

[youtube=CdhqVtpR2ts]Evanescence - Going Under [/youtube]

[youtube=MBl5iUwL4oY]My Way, Herman brood[/youtube]

[youtube=6GdeU0ww4zY]George Harrison Got My Mind Set On You (2009 Stereo Remaster)[/youtube]

[youtube=A71i0a5x-qA]Batman - The animated Series Opening [Full HD][/youtube]

So/Sx

[youtube=yqrAPOZxgzU]Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen[/youtube]

[youtube=nIDnN34ZZaE]Nina Hagen - Smack Jack [high quality][/youtube]

[youtube=lOL-lzVT5Jc]Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Date With The Night"[/youtube]

[youtube=YVkUvmDQ3HY]Eminem - Without me[/youtube]

[youtube=oUcKJflBG8Q]Superman: The Animated Series intro[/youtube]

Sx/Sp

[youtube=cJQwnAhXnBk]The Doors - Break On Through (To the other side)[/youtube]

[youtube=yxjNpkR6kcg]Ozzy Osbourne - "No More Tears" FULL VIDEO [HQ!][/youtube]

[youtube=sJc69ELzLdI]Serge Gainsbourg - Love on the beat - (Sex Machine - 27-10-1984)[/youtube]

[youtube=dWfgam7d4H4]Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - I Love Rock N' Roll (Original Video)[/youtube]

[youtube=kIDWgqDBNXA]Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle[/youtube]

Sx/So

[youtube=o1tj2zJ2Wvg]Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle[/youtube]

[youtube=i9LCHgpzfxQ]This Is What Rock N Roll Looks Like (Explicit)[/youtube]

[youtube=Y5pdgyOzJtE]Scooter - One (Always Hardcore) (Official Video HQ)[/youtube]

[youtube=o7aShcmEksw]Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted[/youtube]

[youtube=Mzybwwf2HoQ]Britney Spears - I'm A Slave 4 U[/youtube]

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mean to be an ass, but seriously, if this would actually be a credible way to type someone, then I'm definitely sp/sx. I've been giving thought to this recently, and for other reasons am starting to believe this might be the case (but don't want to get into that here).

But, to be fair to all of the sp/so's / so/sp's out there, I find it highly unlikely they all like uninspiring, bland pop music (or would all dislike the music listed thus far in this thread). I'd also love to know whether people just tend to stereotype musicians as sx doms/auxs, by virtue of them creating music, when in reality there could be many sp/so musicians out there. Again, not trying to be an ass, this just truly doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Your "reasoning" seems to be "I like music, so I must be an Sp/Sx". But could you do it for a living? Could you create intense music or be intense on stage? Could you be intense and outwardly sexual in your personal life? That's another story.