• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Differences between a sp/sx and sp/so type 7...?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I've come across some things online in various locations, but nothing too informative.

Since I like group-think and lots of input, I'm hoping maybe some of you (brilliant, talented and sexy) forum members can help a lady out with this whole enneagram business.

How would you be able to tell an sp/sx from an sp/so in general? Specifically, how would you be able to tell the difference between the two in a type 7?

Last edited by a moderator:

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
7 sp/sx
This subtype is similar to the self-pres/social, but their plans and pursuits are more passionate in nature. There is often more of an artistic flair. They can be moodier then the other subtype. Their focus is more on relationships, although commitment can also be a problem for this subtype. This subtype can even be known to use introspection as an escape. They can go inward with a seeming depth, but they will usually avoid the most troublesome areas, the areas and characteristics most painful to them.

This subtype of Seven is overall more focused than the self-pres/social. Their focus is on their intimates although certainly not solely on them as they usually have many other fires burning also. They generally have a great sense of humor, sharp quick minds and many interests. These qualities might be common to all subtypes of the Seven, but in the self-pres/sexual subtype, the infusion of enthusiasm comes through when they are engaged in their plans and fulfilling them.

7 sp/so
Self-pres/soc Seven has many friends and loves to entertain. Sevens want to experience life with their friends. The self-pres in type Seven manifests in a desire for sensual pleasures. Their energy goes to the comforts of the body and positive experiences, both experiences of the body and the mind. Like all Sevens, they have an enthusiastic quality, especially as it pertains to the future. Making plans for life is essential for the self-pres/social Seven. This future orientation of the self/social Seven can be an escape from boredom, so many of the plans they make for the future don’t come to fruition. This doesn’t stop them however from forging ahead and moving onto the next grand scheme. The self-pres/social Seven’s plans usually focus around typical self-pres concerns such as making money, exploring job opportunities, or renovating the house. With social second in the stacking much of their energy will spill over into maintaining social connections.

When unhealthier, their many friendships serve mostly as tools which help keep the Seven distracted from facing themselves and their problems. The more friends, the more opportunities the Seven has to be distracted. These Sevens can have a hard time making or keeping commitments, as commitments can feel like a limitation on their options. With the sexual instinct least developed, they can feel unmotivated to put in the work it takes to maintain a close relationship.

When this subtype gets healthier they learn to ground themselves, slow down and actually appreciate the many things they have acquired, whether they be material things or experiences. They start to realize that the next great plan may not give them the happiness they are expecting.

Source: http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e142857369/index.php?&MMN_position=12:12

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Alright, but I feel like the sp/sx description is lacking in comparison with the other.

Yeah there could be more info on the sp/sx description, but they're some of the best description out there (to the best of my knowledge anyway).

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've come across some things online in various locations, but nothing too informative.

Since I like group-think and lots of input, I'm hoping maybe some of you (brilliant, talented and sexy) forum members can help a lady out with this whole enneagram business.

How would you be able to tell an sp/sx from an sp/so in general? Specifically, how would you be able to tell the difference between the two in a type 7?

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

I’m hijacking this thread.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lel you're an sp/so

Just kidding. Realistically, I would focus on the differences between sp/so and sp/sx rather than really zooming in on 7 sp/so and 7 sp/sx. Sp/sx typically has considerably less patience for "soc things" such as group dynamics/politeness and tends to come off slightly more self absorbed/centered and elitist than sp/so. On a more positive note, a 7 sp/sx is more attentive to energy and a wide variety of passions which they are willing to delve into deeply/attach to. Sp/sx has slightly more edgy/intense sort of feel as well. Sp/so is a bit more welcoming/warm, but in a way that keeps you from finding out much about them. With a 7, is probably a bit more "toned down" in terms of risk taking and hedonism compared to all 7s, even with both being sp dom and a bit more non-committal when it comes to interests and other people. Has a bit more patience for politeness and group dynamics, likely uses groups as a tool to maintain security or avoid boundaries being crossed.

Hopefully this is kind of helpful?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lel you're an sp/so

Just kidding. Realistically, I would focus on the differences between sp/so and sp/sx rather than really zooming in on 7 sp/so and 7 sp/sx. Sp/sx typically has considerably less patience for "soc things" such as group dynamics/politeness and tends to come off slightly more self absorbed/centered and elitist than sp/so. On a more positive note, a 7 sp/sx is more attentive to energy and a wide variety of passions which they are willing to delve into deeply/attach to. Sp/sx has slightly more edgy/intense sort of feel as well. Sp/so is a bit more welcoming/warm, but in a way that keeps you from finding out much about them. With a 7, is probably a bit more "toned down" in terms of risk taking and hedonism compared to all 7s, even with both being sp dom and a bit more non-committal when it comes to interests and other people. Has a bit more patience for politeness and group dynamics, likely uses groups as a tool to maintain security or avoid boundaries being crossed.

Hopefully this is kind of helpful?

For me, I’m both warm in a surfacy way and self-absorbed. Formality is just a way I keep people at a distance. That said, if pressed into doing social politics stuff, I’m running for the hills. I pursue my interests amd desires and my interests and desires alone.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me, I'm both warm in a surfacy way and self-absorbed. Formality is just a way I keep people at a distance. That said, if pressed into doing social politics stuff, I'm running for the hills. I pursue my interests amd desires and my interests and desires alone.
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat there. The key piece of information you've mentioned there I bolded. According to theory, Soc secondaries use Soc tactics as a tool for self preservation and that's basically what this sounds like. Using Soc methodology (ie. Pleasentries and formalities) to maintain sp boundries and security. Sp/so and sp/sx can be really difficult to differentiate at surface levels because both are fairly self absorbed and oriented around their interests and security, but this specifically sounds far more sp/so than sp/sx

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat there. The key piece of information you've mentioned there I bolded. According to theory, Soc secondaries use Soc tactics as a tool for self preservation and that's basically what this sounds like. Using Soc methodology (ie. Pleasentries and formalities) to maintain sp boundries and security. Sp/so and sp/sx can be really difficult to differentiate at surface levels because both are fairly self absorbed and oriented around their interests and security, but this specifically sounds far more sp/so than sp/sx

Ruthlessness, Efficiency, Industry, and Lawfulness are the keys to a long and healthy and wealthy life.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah it was the Ocean Moonshine descriptions which made me realise that i'm closest to 7 sp/sx.

Imo there's not a whole lot of sp/sx on this forum, or at least not a lot of discussion on it.