• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Sx means "merging"

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
In my case, it's the point where something goes from being an interest to an obsessive study. In this case, it's no longer collecting knowledge for its own sake, but in order to incorporate it into my understanding of who I am.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes absolutely!!! I am so glad I am not alone in these feelings :)

I think that at least for me as an ENFP and 6w7, there is a huge idealization/unification that goes on. I am very attentive to atmosphere and energy, and I can easily pick up on the "feel" of something. I have a skill for putting together outfits based on an overall concept/feeling (eg, nighttime thunderstorm), and my mom asks how I can know this. I don't know. I just have the internal sense of all the things that a thunderstorm evokes and how it feels and what the nighttime evokes and how it feels and I see those things reflected in certain pieces of clothing and accessories and I get a sense of how they play off each other and how they create an overall mood.

It's almost less merging and more absorption, because it really has very little to do with me personally, short of my interest, and it's totally about the external concept or feeling or person or song or whatever and how I can totally delve into it and embody it. My relationship with food is sort of like this, I feel like certain foods embody certain "wholes" and eating those foods evokes that whole in me - like eating Middle Eastern food really creates in me an entire experience of the Middle East, music and colors and taste and spirituality and aesthetics and all those linked concepts - it's like I want to become the Middle East. That's how I understand "merging". It's about totally becoming whatever your focus of interest is, delving into it completely and embodying it.

I almost feel like the identification with this variant and sex drive as an instinct is off, and it's more about necessary sacrifice of the self to obtain growth. Though maybe that's what sex and childbirth is, the sacrifice of the individual to partner and children for the gain of your genetic material continuing to live on.

Perhaps the sx drive is, in a way, about eternal life through the dissolution of the self.

Yes you completely nailed it. It's the experience of being a part of this thing and everything it entails. Thunderstorms make me feel intense and wild and soft pouring rain feels like miles Davis and middle eastern feels spicy and sexy and you can hear the music playing etc etc it's the whole experience the becoming one with the atmosphere of it all.

I don't know if I can really add to your description but yes I totally know what you mean.

A

Anew Leaf

SX to me is like the person or idea or concept or focus is in bright colors and music plays when they are near, and the rest of the world falls back into shades of gray.

It's an extra layer of being alive... like I am awake on all levels instead of being two separate selves: The one wandering the Ne Shrubbery Maze, and the one investigating the stars in her castle.

Edit: Here is one of my absolute favorite poems of all time. Oh that I were gifted as such as this!

if everything happens that can't be done
e.e. cummings

if everything happens that can't be done
(and anything's righter
than books
could plan)
the stupidest teacher will almost guess
(with a run
skip
around we go yes)
there's nothing as something as one

one hasn't a why or because or although
(and buds know better
than books
don't grow)
one's anything old being everything new
(with a what
which
around we come who)
one's everyanything so

so world is a leaf so a tree is a bough
(and birds sing sweeter
than books
tell how)
so here is away and so your is a my
(with a down
up
around again fly)
forever was never till now

now i love you and you love me
(and books are shuter
than books
can be)
and deep in the high that does nothing but fall
(with a shout
each
around we go all)
there's somebody calling who's we

we're anything brighter than even the sun
(we're everything greater
than books
might mean)
we're everyanything more than believe
(with a spin
leap
alive we're alive)
we're wonderful one times one

@underline is how it feels with SX activated over something.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that the whole merging thing has to do with how sx has to do with your own desires, and then commonly you will go out to get them in one way or another. This whole "merging" thing has to do with that, the getting of your desires. An sx person will get so into something that they want, that they will want to basically immerse themselves in it. This can be a person, an interest, etc.

This hits the point fairly accurately.

Sx is great isn't it? Then bam, have your nuts ripped right off you, figuratively speaking.

UsurpersGonnaUsurp

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Perhaps the sx drive is, in a way, about eternal life through the dissolution of the self.
I'm not sure if this is an Sx trait, but it used to keep me up at night (from about age 7) that I will have to die one day and it's completely out of my control, that everything which I love experiencing here on Earth so deeply will come to an end and I'll never get to experience it again. It's made me reach to experience things more deeply and intensely.. through the pain I suffered from just realizing that one day.. I will have to die.

I think sp and so are more about survival - whereas sx is more about making the most of what we have.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can soo relate to all of this, and it's really making me think I'm sx-dom. Oh boy.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] That's actually one of my favorite poems too. :)

Yes absolutely!!! I am so glad I am not alone in these feelings :)

I think that at least for me as an ENFP and 6w7, there is a huge idealization/unification that goes on. I am very attentive to atmosphere and energy, and I can easily pick up on the "feel" of something. I have a skill for putting together outfits based on an overall concept/feeling (eg, nighttime thunderstorm), and my mom asks how I can know this. I don't know. I just have the internal sense of all the things that a thunderstorm evokes and how it feels and what the nighttime evokes and how it feels and I see those things reflected in certain pieces of clothing and accessories and I get a sense of how they play off each other and how they create an overall mood.

It's almost less merging and more absorption, because it really has very little to do with me personally, short of my interest, and it's totally about the external concept or feeling or person or song or whatever and how I can totally delve into it and embody it. My relationship with food is sort of like this, I feel like certain foods embody certain "wholes" and eating those foods evokes that whole in me - like eating Middle Eastern food really creates in me an entire experience of the Middle East, music and colors and taste and spirituality and aesthetics and all those linked concepts - it's like I want to become the Middle East. That's how I understand "merging". It's about totally becoming whatever your focus of interest is, delving into it completely and embodying it.

I almost feel like the identification with this variant and sex drive as an instinct is off, and it's more about necessary sacrifice of the self to obtain growth. Though maybe that's what sex and childbirth is, the sacrifice of the individual to partner and children for the gain of your genetic material continuing to live on.

Very beautifully put. I can relate to your post very deeply. I create different mood places in my house sometimes, like areas that are kind of invoking a scene, like full moon on a witching hour, or 30s Sanghai...that's in my closet. I don't have to travel much... ;D It's hard to describe but I do do a similiar thing to what you described.
I have searched for that type of a perfect merging in many things in life, from music, from love and I believe, for me, the ultimate merging is a spiritual one. I have a fondness for Tao Te Ching, Meister Eckhart and mystic literature in general.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Another way of looking at it is "hating to be a tourist." In other words, when on a visit to a foreign location, you want to blend into the environment and be able to interact with and observe it just as a local would.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Another way of looking at it is "hating to be a tourist." In other words, when on a visit to a foreign location, you want to blend into the environment and be able to interact with and observe it just as a local would.

Yes.

It's almost like finding something you like so much that you want to incorporate it into who you are.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes.

It's almost like finding something you like so much that you want to incorporate it into who you are.

Ooh, okay! These ones were a little easier to understand / relate to. I've done / felt a little bit of these. In contrast, [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION]'s poem paints a good picture of what it's like, but just makes me acutely aware that I don't go that far, and don't feel inclined to. It is poetry, though, and therefore bound to be a little extreme, I guess.

(It isn't as though the whole Sx variant is incomprehensible to me, not at all....Just that the strength with which an Sx-dom feels it is hard for me to grasp. So, trying to gauge this thing.)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, it's as if the flow of time stops, and I just want to consume and experience their entire being F O R E V E R. :yes:

Same here. It's rare for it to occur with people. It's usually music, pictures, being in certain settings, weather, or even spiritual/state of mind. It feels like more like immersion than merging. Dissolving myself into whatever it is that sparks the connection in the first place. Spontaneous and outside of my conscious control.

Permabanned
Same here. It's rare for it to occur with people. It's usually music, pictures, being in certain settings, weather, or even spiritual/state of mind. It feels like more like immersion than merging. Dissolving myself into whatever it is that sparks the connection in the first place. Spontaneous and outside of my conscious control.

+1 @ the bolded. Yeah, which makes it more intense and precious when it does happen. Conversely, the lack thereof has a stifling, hindering effect on the overall affinity for immersion, I find.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Yeah, totally. I don't want to feel separate.

The feeling extends into me not really having any affinity for outside observation, short of when learning how to do something, and even then I'd usually rather just dive right in. This winter I had to learn how to give myself belly injections and the nurse asked me if I wanted to watch her do the first one on me. Fuck no, give me that thing. If anyone's injecting stuff into my belly it's going to be me. Though that's probably the e6 playing in, as well.

Yes.

Yes!

And then you become a beautiful melange of everything that you have been touched by, in the dual sense of mixture and spice.

Ooh, okay! These ones were a little easier to understand / relate to. I've done / felt a little bit of these. In contrast, [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION]'s poem paints a good picture of what it's like, but just makes me acutely aware that I don't go that far, and don't feel inclined to. It is poetry, though, and therefore bound to be a little extreme, I guess.

(It isn't as though the whole Sx variant is incomprehensible to me, not at all....Just that the strength with which an Sx-dom feels it is hard for me to grasp. So, trying to gauge this thing.)

Haha, yes, I can understand how it would be hard to understand. It really is almost akin to sexual drive in the level of need. You simply must fulfill it or you will be quite unsatisfied. Ideal would be immersing yourself in the experience totally, without any "gaps" - like being in an IMAX theater where you can just lose yourself completely in the movie.

I particularly like being with another person who is sp-dom because I can immerse myself completely like that and trust that they are watching out for us.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It means that you're intense, and you like to experience things deeply and fully, even if it's not intimacy with another human.

I've never quite fully understood what "merging" meant either, but if that's the case, that is DEFINITELY how I am. I am an obsessive person.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, it's basically that I'm really good at getting addicted to things. I listen to bands obsessively (and I mean hours a day) for months until I have every measure of every song memorized, then get really bored and pick a different band. I also do this with book series, tv shows, theories, websites, drugs, and most of all, people. The rest of the world just gets the volume turned down. Unsurprisingly, I tend to have extremely intense relationships as well.

Well huh. I do pretty much the same thing. I get intensely interested in one topic/interest/hobby or two, and I spend weeks and even months doing/watching/reading up on that thing obsessively until I burn out on it. So that's an Sx thing, huh?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, it's basically that I'm really good at getting addicted to things. I listen to bands obsessively (and I mean hours a day) for months until I have every measure of every song memorized, then get really bored and pick a different band. I also do this with book series, tv shows, theories, websites, drugs, and most of all, people. The rest of the world just gets the volume turned down. Unsurprisingly, I tend to have extremely intense relationships as well.

this is an Sx thing? my Sx instinct must be stronger than I thought

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm Sx second and for me, Sx is a bit of a double edged sword
- part of me wants more connection, more intensity, more drama
- but the other part wants it to stop/wants to reach a plateau where I can finally just be satisfied (but then if I did I'd miss the change of lusting after a person or object of interest)