• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts What's Your Instinctual Stacking?

What's your instinctual stacking?

• Total voters

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm new to enneagram. I tested 5w6 first, but subsequent tests put me at 5w4 sx/sp. Reading the type 5 sx/sp description, I think I've verified that part is spot on, sometimes painfully so. Thanks for posting.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bliss Stream does some pretty bomb descriptions for 9s (and I believe 6s, possibly) over at Personality Cafe.

9w8 sx/sp

This 9 stack receives life without hesitation. They exert very little control over their emotional lives and prefer to give themselves total freedom to experience real responses and feelings. They can have an electricity about them that is both simple and regal, being able to unconsciously convey who they are without saying much.

They don't try to walk or move in an artificial way. They often have a great sense of humour and will push themselves to enjoy the same things as their significant others. Playfulness is especially high with this stack. But they are more rigid about who they give their energy to and are drawn to people who have similar experiences as them. This type can relate to common experience at a nonverbal level, giving them room to create a sense of harmony with others even with those who speak different languages.

They also have a savvy business sense. And in spite of their liberal attitudes, they can have an old-fashioned approach to raising family and will give more than themselves to those they care about, often finding it very difficult to break away...Can feel oppressed, as they don't often get to do what they want for long periods of time. Sense of being reincarnated in life all the time, redefining themselves out of necessity.

This type views their realness as having a large potential to reach people who are going through the same problems. Just knowing that gives them more room to be a little 'crazy.' Because they know that they truly aren't alone in their 'craziness.' Fear of pretending in relatonships, just going through the motions. Loses a sense of identity by giving so much of their openness and love to family or lover. It causes them to be overly sensitive to rejection, so constantly looking to do the perfect thing, which can inevitably lead to a break down. The loss of a relationship can devastate them. They may break down into a zombie-like state for years upon end and ultimately do the inevitable unless they can find something to keep them sane.

Mia.

Of the three ranges of sx/sp I suppose I am the middle due to my midrange to high-midrange sp scores.

sx/sp mystifier (midrange) - the range where the mystique of the sx/sp stack is at its strongest. unconsciously attracts with intense eye contact and other sx feelers, but holds back enough to give them a kind of untouchable or hard to get close to quality. depending on their true intentions this can either frustrate their sx or reward their functional sp cooling system. like midrangers of all stacks, there's a seemingly casual approach to meeting their variant needs as the secondary instinct is kept both in play and at bay, and others may wonder what they really want.

from here: http://typewatchenneagram.blogspot.com/

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's an interesting read mia

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Damn, that was an interesting read, [MENTION=15004]Mia.[/MENTION]

I've known the instincts aren't just simple binary yes/no things, or simple ranked things (sx>so>sp), but that, properly understood, there should be a level to each of them (I usually think of it as each person gets 100 "instinct points", and has to divide them however they will among the three [well, it's not really a choice, but you get what I mean]), but I hadn't actually seen someone address them based on the differing amount of "points" you have for each instinct until this stuff (I'd been wanting to find something like this, but had never come across it). Anyway, thanks for finding/sharing.

I think I'd be a "fireside" sx/so.

I believe I took one of those tests where they measure the level of the instincts, and my sx was through the roof, and my so and sp were actually kinda close, far lower down (something like a 3 or 4:1:1 ratio).

fireside sx/so - strong sx, weak soc and weaker sp. pulls from sp/sx shadow to intensify sx. exhibitionism, wild abandon, most 'on fire' of all stacks or stack ranges.

flirter sx/so - strong sx, moderate soc, weak sp. highly sociable and extroverted per type, flirtatious interaction style, more coy than firesiders but more risque than coolsiders.

coolside sx/so - strong sx, strong soc, weak sp. pulls from so/sp secondary, political activist streak, 'cooled' by soc with some intellectual reserve, channels sx into social causes.

Another interesting little piece from further down:

sx/sp

'yin mode of seducing' is actually a bit redundant, but is meant to emphasize the receptive nature of sx/sp even at the overtly sexual range.

example, say a marilyn monroe who is perceived as hypersexualized, yet was fairly passive in a seductive style or 'yin mode' of drawing a pursuer rather than doing the pursuing. a sx/so would tend to act in the yang or pursuing role. same game but different roles.

the tractor beam of the seducer is like an event horizon, few can ignore their pull. the sx/so counterpart is the fireside range, a blazing yang which is sharply polarizing in its attracting/repulsing effect. like a test to reveal its true mates, the sx/so fire burns the wood and spares the gold.

seducer - sx with no brakes
mystifier - sx with an emergency break
wanderer - sx with brakes

p.s. btw, there's a lot of other good information on that blog, if you keep scrolling down. the format's kinda shitty, cuz it looks like the author just copied and pasted a a series of emails, so a lot of it is just reposting the same material that had already appeared before, but, if you can work your way through it, there's some pretty good stuff. i found a description of 6w5s that might be the best description i've ever seen. it fit me to a tee.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very cool and fits quite well.

From Mia's link.

sx/sp wanderer (strong sp) - the most clasically 'blocked' of the sx's, often exchanging intimacy in favor of the more immediate pleasures of the body. paradoxically the most wandering and restless of the sx/sp's. pulls from sp/so to ensure the sx flood is contained by the sp levee, which can provide a sense of stability at the expense of seeming put off by others. sex can mean a hollow satisfying of the instinct while more vulnerable feelings are suspended. quietly charged but muted, and can seem self pres first.
sp/sx

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!

i've been testing sx/sp lately.
but i can't really tell if i'm sx/sp
or sx/so

if sx/sp i think i'd be this range:

sx/sp seducer (weak sp) - sx in full command produces an active recruiter of potential mates; but being sx/sp this remains in the yin mode of seducing. charismatic and overtly sexualized, arguably the most purely sx of all stacks and ranges. draws from so/sx shadow to liven up sx into an erotic playfulness and to keep sx far ahead of their relatively nominal sp. an emotional yearning to their mating ritual; an inherently unstable range that can lead to a pattern of serial heartbreak. often confused for sx/so.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That IS an interesting further breakdown of instincts.

From that, I'm either -

sp/so weakside (strong soc) - draws from so/sx to produce what is overall a lighter, friendlier, and more humor employing style within self pres (though funny through conscious effort and without much irony, unlike strongsiders who are relatively less aware of how they're perceived). can seem more sociable than many so/sp's, and better embodying of a common touch. a notable degree of social consciousness tempers their more private security seeking instinct, so not surprisingly weaksiders can seem soc first, often with a certain generous or self sacrificial quality. the self deprecator, the sidekick, the philanthropist.

OR

sp/sx ascetic (weak sx) - mimics sp/so building of career and security, with an eye on advancement in the name of self sufficiency, but little or no concern for status as in the case of so/sp. generally serious but enjoys being amused by others.

----------------

The strong and midline sp/so I don't really identify with, because I don't care about status or solely 'building a home' and towing the company line and other such things (blech) - nor do I think I truly jive with the celebrities listed for them. But, I'm definitely not a strong sp/sx either - would be the ascetic of those three.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sp/soc: The most straightfoward in language, with relatively little trills and embellishments. Points made directly and from personal experience. Business-like. Clear. Cynical. Lacking in internal experience compared to other stackings.

sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

soc/sp: Tangential. Lots of details and analysis. Very in-their-head and intellectual, and lacks sensuality. Comes across as level-headed and unspontaneous, but also with personal warmth. Their written works often require a great deal of mental concentration from the readers.

soc/sx: The word "fantastical" comes to mind. Lots of virtuosity and trills, and often removed from the real world. One is whirled away by the dazzling fairies of their colorful imagination. Can be too rich in imagery for their own good. Sustained dramatic power due to their knowledge of interpersonal dynamics.

sx/sp: Intense, often a stab-in-the-chest sensation, leaving me in tears without knowing why. Fantastical but much more concentrated in a few inner images. Can be abstract, animating dead objects into their field of contemplation. Embodiment of another human, thing, or idea is common in their writings.

sx/soc: My impression of their writing is "fire-and-ice", as if one is to experience the extremes of heat and coldness at the same time. Often abstract, spilling one inner vision after another like a dream-sequence. Seems particularly in touch with the core meaning of life and death

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've been testing sx/sp lately.
but i can't really tell if i'm sx/sp
or sx/so

if sx/sp i think i'd be this range:

sx/sp seducer (weak sp) - sx in full command produces an active recruiter of potential mates; but being sx/sp this remains in the yin mode of seducing. charismatic and overtly sexualized, arguably the most purely sx of all stacks and ranges. draws from so/sx shadow to liven up sx into an erotic playfulness and to keep sx far ahead of their relatively nominal sp. an emotional yearning to their mating ritual; an inherently unstable range that can lead to a pattern of serial heartbreak. often confused for sx/so.

I think you're Sx/Sp (or even Sp/Sx)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I thought sp and so were supposed to be the more common variants?

No wonder this place feels like such a sex pot...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well in previous polls, I think there have been a decent amount of sp/so's on this site... none have really voted yet though, obviously. :)

Too, sx is so touted/esteemed on this forum, that I sometimes wonder if that isn't part of it.

sp/so based on comments from a handful of posters in the enneagram threads leads me to believe it's viewed as the dullard equivalent of the enneagram stackings (and the profiles leave much to be desired). I don't honestly know if I am one, but it seems reasonable. Even IF I don't really relate to the emphasis placed on certain aspects of the profiles. I dunno.

Mia.

It's entirely possible that the interweb is overrepresented by those with I, N, and sx preferences.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's entirely possible that the interweb is overrepresented by those with I, N, and sx preferences.

It is where we can socialize with out having the tedium and anxiety of being social. We don't even have to leave the basement, classroom, laboratory, library, etc.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not aware of any evidence that sx is least common. People may mistype as sx though, because it sounds most "appealing", especially considering trendy social ideals. The so/sp and sp/so are made to sound dull & prudish; who wants to be that? There are other misconceptions about all the types that lead to people choosing sx first too, IMO. SOs are all social butterflies, SPs are materialistic, SXs are more attractive or sexual, etc.

-----

sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

sp/sx binger (midline) - can 'hang out' around likeminded persons to imbibe in favorite goodies, though social interaction itself is not a priority. they do however remain slyly conscious of interpersonal attraction, even if characteristically hesitant to make a first move. whether alone or not, retains an air of privacy, reluctant to 'come out' of themselves.
quote: "all things in moderation, including moderation."
role: the soloist, the mercenary
exemplars: kobe bryant, anthony bourdain, simon cowell, robert deniro, harrison ford, ralph nader
fictional from star wars: han solo

Yes, this me. I do like to "imbibe in favorite goodies" :laugh:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She doesn't look Sp/Sx at all to me. I'd say she's Sx/So.

I would say the same as mmmhmm and you've called me sx/so before

Actually many have and I'm trying to see it... I can relate to some other enfps that are... Sort of... But I just really don't feel very so. At first I thought it was just my fi clashing with it but my infp is very fi and also Dom so.... So....

I think I'm just sx/sp

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not aware of any evidence that sx is least common.

They are the least common. It's just that a lor of people here probably mistype themselves.

People may mistype as sx though, because it sounds most "appealing", especially considering trendy social ideals.

Yes. And also, many confuse being Sx with "love" "emo" or something, and there's a lot of F on this board.

The so/sp and sp/so are made to sound dull & prudish; who wants to be that?

They are often like that. We can't deny it. But that doesn't mean that a lot of people here can be of theses stackings.

There are other misconceptions about all the types that lead to people choosing sx first too, IMO. SOs are all social butterflies, SPs are materialistic, SXs are more attractive or sexual, etc.

Yes.

Though, for Sx, I think is true to say that a lot of Sx people have a strong sexual presence and attraction, even when they are ugly. It's just that a lot of people here are like "I know i'm not intense and sexual, but I'am very romantic and I really, really want a relationship, so I'am Sx" or something. That's in part why a lot of people believe they are Sx while they are not.

I think the results are biased by the currents values among internet users, especially the NF ones, and how they can see ach instinct based on that. Sp= individualistic (that's me!), Sx= romantic (that's me!) So= attention whore (groooss!).

I'm a bit reluctant at taking that as an accurate way for typing.