• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sp] What is the sp/sx all about?

elranger1

What do you sp/sx's think of this description? Can you tell me in what areas you would disagree with and perhaps interpret some of what it says?

"I can establish an orderly, comfortable, and self-sufficient life by striving for intense pursuits and deep relationships."
Motivation: to explore new ways to maintain a secure and comfortable living.
Appearance: self-absorbed, wistful, calm, withdrawn, internally intense.
Role: soloist, artistan, crafstman, mercenary, sensualist, hedonist.

This type has a quiet, earthy but mysterious quality. They are intense within their minds, but may seem withdrawn to others. They may enter new relationships for the novelty, but they are slow to commit for they wish to avoid getting hurt. For the few interpersonal bonds they form, their loyalty is unbreakable, as their alliances make them feel secure. They attach to others at an organic level, as opposed to the sp/so's formality. They are often unaware of the social dynamics and goals of a group, but they can read an individual with accuracy. When they sense their well-being is in jeopardy, they either completely withdraw or confront the danger head-on. Many have an appetite for wild adventures, which they view as learning experiences. They see their home as a refuge, and they take pride in decorating their surroundings.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's an excellent description. What part would you wanted interpreted? I'll help if I can.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you sp/sx's think of this description? Can you tell me in what areas you would disagree with and perhaps interpret some of what it says?

"I can establish an orderly, comfortable, and self-sufficient life by striving for intense pursuits and deep relationships."

This type has a quiet, earthy but mysterious quality. They are intense within their minds, but may seem withdrawn to others. They may enter new relationships for the novelty, but they are slow to commit for they wish to avoid getting hurt. For the few interpersonal bonds they form, their loyalty is unbreakable, as their alliances make them feel secure. They attach to others at an organic level, as opposed to the sp/so's formality. They are often unaware of the social dynamics and goals of a group, but they can read an individual with accuracy. When they sense their well-being is in jeopardy, they either completely withdraw or confront the danger head-on. Many have an appetite for wild adventures, which they view as learning experiences. They see their home as a refuge, and they take pride in decorating their surroundings.

definitely.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agree with all of the above, nothing to interpret or disagree with, that pretty much sums it up.

gromit

likes this
I don't know that I'd call myself earthy or mysterious, but I do relate to a lot of that. Esp the part of either fleeing or facing danger head on and the 'appetite for wild adventures.' I love thrills as long as I'm not actually threatened.

wolfy

awsm

It isn't bad. Kind of sexy in a way. I'm not sure what it means to attach at an organic level. Actually, I can think of one way but that probably isn't what they mean.

What do they mean?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp

It's mostly accurate. The part in bold is the only part that doesn't jive with me, as it suggests that "striving for intense pursuits and deep relationships" is a means to orderly, comfortable self-sufficiency. It would be nice to satisfy one drive by means of pursuing the other, but that runs counter to my experience of having these 2 as competing, opposing forces, where the full satisfaction of one frustrates the satisfaction of the other.
/can't get no satisfaction.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Intense pursuits" -- I get completely wrapped up in anything I take an interest in. I don't take any real interest in most things, so when something gets my attention, I want to know all about it, want to eat, sleep, dream it, talk to other people about it, go to experts about it, etc. Interests become all-consuming. This makes me really happy.

"Deep relationships" -- same thing, really. I don't understand casual friendships; for example, some people have groups of friends they do things with, but they don't really know each other as individuals all that well, or have any deep bond. I get to know a very few people at a very deep level, and a few of those I incorporate into my life ("attach at an organic level") in such a way that I would feel like I'd lost an arm or leg if I lost them. This also makes me happy, makes me feel secure, to have long-term, stable, deep relationships, people who know me extremely well, the good and the bad, and I know them in that way, too, especially over years. The longer a relationship lasts, the better I like it. It becomes an institution in my mind, something I can trust and count on -- all the things that go with knowing someone well over a long period, the shared jokes and references, the being able to know what happens to that person emotionally in different circumstances, what their triggers are, what it is like to be around them, the more I know, the more I like it.

It's also true about entering new relationships for the novelty -- in my last one, I thought it was just goofing off, mainly, and didn't realize it meant something to him. When he made that clear, I remember standing in the shower and realizing I had to make a decision about whether I was going to do this or not. Because I knew he was moving in the next year or so, I decided to commit to it for that time period, since it was a defined stretch of time and the relationship would come to an easy, natural end when he moved. It was very intense. He moved. That is all. I'm back to my normal, my comfort zone, my few people I am attached to, my solitary pursuits.

The thing about avoiding or confronting -- for some reason a fly swatter comes to mind. Say there's a fly in the room, annoying everybody, and they all talk about the fly buzzing and being annoying, and people try to catch it or shoo it or whatever. Eventually I get up, pick up the flyswatter, smack the fly dead, sit back down and go back to my book. It's like that. If there's a danger and I can see a way to stop it, I just do it. Sometimes it looks like impulse and I seem brave and crazy, but it only looks that way. Inside, I've been studying the thing and figuring out what to do. When I figure it out, I get up and do it.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Do you know of a similar description for the Sx/Sp? I'm trying to hash out the main differences.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
"Deep relationships" -- same thing, really. I don't understand casual friendships; for example, some people have groups of friends they do things with, but they don't really know each other as individuals all that well, or have any deep bond. I get to know a very few people at a very deep level, and a few of those I incorporate into my life ("attach at an organic level") in such a way that I would feel like I'd lost an arm or leg if I lost them. This also makes me happy, makes me feel secure, to have long-term, stable, deep relationships, people who know me extremely well, the good and the bad, and I know them in that way, too, especially over years. The longer a relationship lasts, the better I like it. It becomes an institution in my mind, something I can trust and count on -- all the things that go with knowing someone well over a long period, the shared jokes and references, the being able to know what happens to that person emotionally in different circumstances, what their triggers are, what it is like to be around them, the more I know, the more I like it.
Hmm...I don't relate to this part of your post.
I understand casual friendships...and that's the type of friendship I'm comfortable with.
Apart from family, I try not to develop such emotional dependence on anyone. When people tell me they consider me a close friend, I feel a bit uneasy. They'll have expections now. It's a commitment of some sort.
I try to not NEED anyone...

What does that make me?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, excellent description. The only part I don't really agree with for myself is this: "They may enter new relationships for the novelty, but they are slow to commit for they wish to avoid getting hurt." Part of my issue in that regard would be that if I enter a new relationship (at least if this is referring to romantic relationships), I'm probably already feeling semi-committed.

I'm not sure I have an appetite for WILD adventures, but adventures, yes, most definitely. It might sound weird, but I prefer adventures which also have a foundation of safety. Ie. certain basic things are in place (like I have a place to stay when travelling); or I'm with a person who I feel will protect me; etc. But I love to have fun and explore, especially intellectually and culturally, and travel-wise.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm...I don't relate to this part of your post.
I understand casual friendships...and that's the type of friendship I'm comfortable with.
Apart from family, I try not to develop such emotional dependence on anyone. When people tell me they consider me a close friend, I feel a bit uneasy. They'll have expections now. It's a commitment of some sort.
I try to not NEED anyone...

What does that make me?

- Sp dom
- 5 (or 8, but you don't seem like that)
- introvert

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It isn't bad. Kind of sexy in a way. I'm not sure what it means to attach at an organic level. Actually, I can think of one way but that probably isn't what they mean.

What do they mean?

I like that part of the description a lot. I think it's giving a sense of a deep connection that is hard to budge, but still ALIVE and growing with that person, not some burdensome attachment that stagnates their growth as an individual. It gives the sense of something natural, not forced.

There's another description with very similar wording (see below). The sentence before it clarifies the meaning of "organic, root level". I think it means sp/sx types connect to people more deeply than they'd imagine we could because we may seem a bit detached and independent on the surface. We may also know people better & more deeply than they imagined, on a level they were not aware they had even revealed to us.

http://ocean-moonshine.net/e142857369/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=42&MMN_position=80:80// said:
sp/sx
These people often have an earthy, mysterious quality to them. They are quietly intense, but to others may seem oblivious to the greater social world around them, instead favoring personal interests. They are slow to commit, but once they do it is with an attitude of life commitment, to the establishment of an impermeable bond. Others can be taken aback by how suddenly and completely this type can lock into them, and by the depth of understanding of the other's condition. They attach to others at an organic, root level, in contrast to the other subvariant's surface formality. Somewhat hesitant to enter new relationships, they instead preserve the select few enduring bonds they carefully form along the way. The sanctuary of home is of paramount concern, and this type takes particular delight in decorating their spaces to reflect their cherished sense of taste and depth. Depth and discrimination characterize this stacking.

Motivation: to live in a secure, comfortable environment where they can pursue their private interests in depth.

Familiar Roles: the mate, the mystic, the quiet supporter.

Examples: George Harrison, Jackie Onassis, Eric Clapton, Emily Dickinson

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The first paragraph description, about establishing an orderly, comfortable, and self-sufficient life is accurate for me. The appearance half, self-absorbed, wistful, calm, withdrawn, internally intense, is dead on.

When it comes to new relationships, I don't take them for granted because I value close relationships, but I am quite slow to warm up. I don't want to get hurt, but once I do form a close bond with someone, it's intensely loyal. I am pretty aware of social dynamics and goals of a group, but often I feel that I am a bit too individualistic. When things get tough for me, and I feel that things may put me in danger, I confront it, or withdraw from the situation completely. I don't quite have an appetite for wild adventures though. I'm not interested in things that put me physically or emotionally in danger.