• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts The relationship between the two most dominant instincts

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Whether Sp/Sx or Sx/Sp (as an example), what makes one instinct dominant and the other 'supporting'? What puts one in front of the other? What is the relationship or struggle between the two?

I think most of us know which 2 instinctual variants dominate us, but are unsure of the order.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
The way I learned about it was that our second instinct is the one that we focus on the most because we use the second instinct to supplement the first. Our first instinct comes naturally to us and it's something that we just react to without much thought to it. An example of this would be a prostitute. They're usually sp/sx, because even though they're service is based around sex, most use their sexuality to attend to their sp needs.

Silveresque

The way I learned about it was that our second instinct is the one that we focus on the most because we use the second instinct to supplement the first. Our first instinct comes naturally to us and it's something that we just react to without much thought to it. An example of this would be a prostitute. They're usually sp/sx, because even though they're service is based around sex, most use their sexuality to attend to their sp needs.

I heard it was the other way around. The second instinct comes naturally and is the easiest to use, but the first is the one you put the most effort into and focus on the most. :shrug:

(Originally posted by Giovanni on PersonalityCafe)
Dominant Subtype -
This is the instinct that concerns you the most. This is the one that you put the most effort into, that you struggle with and think about the most, that you try to be good at. It's the one that absorbs your mind the most and tends to throw you off center. On one hand you are good at it, on the other you often worry about it.

Middle Subtype -
This instinct is more natural and the easiest of the three subtype areas for you. It requires the least energy. You generally have fewer problems in this area of your life.

Last Subtype -
This is the instinct that you pay the least attention or even neglect. It's the one you try not to think about, that causes stress precisely because of your avoidance of it in your life.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the first instinct is what you do left to your own devices. I'm Sp dom, so I naturally gravitate towards ensuring my own comfort and safety and collecting things of value to me.

A

Anew Leaf

I test very high on both SP and SX, usually within a few points of each other. I feel like I am SX/SP wherein the SP side of me tends to "bug" me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am borderline sp/sx also, usually with sp first. I will be interested to read what others have to say, to understand this better.

I don't really relate to the OP because I'm sp-dominant beyond a shadow of doubt, but sx and so are battling it out for second place and there's no clear winner so far as I can see.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I'm aware that many are unsure of their last two instincts...or all three. Heh.

Anyway, that's besides the point.

Interesting...looks like we have opposing definitions here. Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I heard it was the other way around. The second instinct comes naturally and is the easiest to use, but the first is the one you put the most effort into and focus on the most. :shrug:

(Originally posted by Giovanni on PersonalityCafe)
I will follow this thread with a great deal of interest because whether I'm so/sp or sp/so depends a lot on which of these definitions is correct.

Any other opinions on the topic?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think the way this site describes type stackings explains the relationship between first, second and last variants quite well. Example:

Sp/Sx - Likely to neglect their desire to seek intense connections and experiences for the sake of their primary concern of maintaining physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to connect in a broader sense with the world, of a sense of security or in groups or of the need to seek it, or even of the need to foster approval, support, and understanding of themselves within groups they are connected with, often causing misunderstandings with allies, supporters, friends, and family members.

Sp/So - Likely to neglect their desire to build their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others for the sake of their primary concern of maintaining physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to stimulate the mind or emotions, of a sense of deep excitement or enthusiasm, of a need for intimate experiences, of the need for the unfamiliar. May fall into routines and, despite social connection, may feel a strange disconnection even from spouses, friends, and family.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
I think the way this site describes type stackings explains the relationship between first, second and last variants quite well. Example:
Those descriptions suggest that the second instinct is neglected/supressed for the sake of the dominant instinct - the person's main concern. (And, needless to say, the third isn't paid much attention to.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Those descriptions suggest that the second instinct is neglected/supressed for the sake of the dominant instinct - the person's main concern. (And, needless to say, the third isn't paid much attention to.)
Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too! That means I'm definitely typed correctly (though I must still be close between the two of them, because it tends to be a tough decision where the outcome depends on the situation; e.g. if I needed to decide whether to catch up on sleep after a week or so without much of it, or whether to go to my friend's party, it would depend on how close the friend is, and whether or not I had already told them I would go).

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sx/Sp________________________So for me

There is another people who are:
Sx____________________________Sp/So
So____________________________Sx/Sp

Etc...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I definitely agree with this, except for the example. the prostitute is probably Sx/Sp who is using her Sp side to get money for her real object of sexual interest (ie her pimp) more common professions for Sp/Sx in which they use their Sx side in service of Sp might include:
- model
- pimp
- gold digger
- performing artist

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sx/Sp________________________So for me
There is another people who are:
Sx____________________________Sp/So
So____________________________Sx/Sp
Etc...

if I get your analogy correctly, I'm Sp___Sx_____________________________________So
(Sp and Sx are fairly balanced, but Sp is clearly first in the pecking order, So is lightyears away)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sx_____So_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Sp, probably that.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Hmm...wish I could do a visual representation of my instinct order but I can't. For me, it's:

Sx - (Relationship-wise) Consciously avoid it, analyze it, worry about it, fantasize about it, hide it. Very exciting and dramatic part of my mind. But am a total prude in real life.

Sp - Not too worried about about my own health or safety. Pretty confident that I won't come to any harm. You could even call it being cocky. May travel to unfamiliar places alone or do extreme sports...as if to show that I can handle it. But will refuse to touch/experiment with drugs. Would rather eat fruits/fish/vegies than take supplements or vitamins.

So - Does not take up much mind-space. Not really a concern. Easy to brush aside.

Verdict?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm...wish I could do a visual representation of my instinct order but I can't. For me, it's:

Sx - (Relationship-wise) Consciously avoid it, analyze it, worry about it, fantasize about it, hide it. Very exciting and dramatic part of my mind. But am a total prude in real life.

Sp - Not too worried about about my own health or safety. Pretty confident that I won't come to any harm. You could even call it being cocky. May travel to unfamiliar places alone or do extreme sports...as if to show that I can handle it. But will refuse to touch/experiment with drugs. Would rather eat fruits/fish/vegies than take supplements or vitamins.

So - Does not take up much mind-space. Not really a concern. Easy to brush aside.

Verdict?

INFP Sp/Sx.